The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

As long as MK still has the Peoplemover and COP they still have that over DL i guess 😂 but WDW does have a few I think are better.
Winnie the Pooh is better at MK compared to DL. The treehouse was better but we will see when DLs opens if that’s the case. Mickeys Phillarmagic is better with the better queue and theater that doesn’t feel shoehorned in. Little mermaid has the better queue but same ride.
Astro Orbitor is definitely better at MK being up top.
Jungle, HM, and TSI I would say are better but all subjective. Also the riverboat still has the out in wilderness feeling no longer at DLs.
I partially take back what I posted earlier. The Riverboat is currently better at MK, as is the classic experience of their Astro Orbiter.

Pooh is a weak ride on both coasts, but the motion base use is more fun at MK. But I’d say it evens out, because DL’s queue is full of fresh air and greenery, and MK’s queue is grubby and eeew. It’s like being trapped in a Chucky Cheese. The ride should be sponsored by Purell. 😃

Rich T

All valid points.

I do think a lot of the things that are better at WDW, other than Splash Mountain, are things that are easy to ignore and the sorts of things you wouldn't do every visit if you were a local. It took me a few visits to get around to their TSI, their riverboat, etc. They're right there for the most part, things that often require little to no wait or action on the part of the guest, but they're not shiny headliners and so they're easily ignored.

A lot of these less-obvious attractions DO address a lot of complaints I've seen over the years about DLR's attractions-TSI really is still TSI with no awful pirates overlay! The WDW ROA still has the long and secluded route that people purport to miss about the DL ROA! The Swiss Family Treehouse is still there untouched in its original glory! But, alas, attractions like that'll never get their due. They're not perceived as being a valuable use of people's time despite being a lot of the very sorts of things people purport to appreciate about Disney parks over others.

It's sort of the perfect storm that the things MK is best at (and WDW as a whole, by extension) are the sorts of things that are likely to be missed unless you specifically seek them out. Part of that is on WDW for failing to build additional attractions and capacity, while also removing many of the attractions at MK that were better than DL's and/or couldn't be ported over very easily (Mr. Toad, 20,000 Leagues, etc).

That said, I feel like part of it too is that many people who are accustomed to doing DLR fail to consider WDW on its own terms and thus fail to appreciate the resort. WDW is not perfect-far from it-but it is the resort WORST served by being toured exactly the way that one tours DLR. To do so tends to immediately reveal WDW's flaws while doing little to illuminate its strengths. There's so much there worth seeking out that's not at all obvious if you don't know to look for it.

Again, a lot of this is on TDO and their terrible decision-making skills. But some of it is on people who march over to Florida, treat the place exactly the same way as they treat DLR, have internalized expectations about how a Disney resort is run (and how they've read over and over again online that WDW ain't it) and what is to be valued at Disney parks, and then find the Florida complex to be unsatisfying-a situation they in part created by assuming that WDW really is just DLR with the enlarge button jammed.
As a recent transplant to FL, I’ve toured WDW leisurely over several weeks using the cheap local AP. At this point, I’ve thoroughly explored just about every corner of every park accept for the left half of World Showcase (will do that soon). I agree with most of what you’ve said.

My main problem with the entire WDW resort is the lack of enough attractions in each individual park to soak up the crowds and the underwhelming condition of many of those attractions while I was there. All fixable.

But there’s a lot to enjoy and appreciate there. It is indeed a very different vibe from DL. Not better, but equal in its own spread out way. Both coasts could use a lot of improvement regarding their current state of presenting the experience to guests.

A few of my happiest discoveries at WDW:

The Ferry Boat to MK (and back at day’s end) is one of my very favorite things at WDW. That mile-long early morning ride across the lake is magical, relaxing, and unique. I will never take the monorail to MK again.

The hub at MK in front of the castle. I used to sneer from CA at the Florida hub’s lack of trees, the emphasis on viewing areas over charm, etc. But I get it now. I really love the community feeling, almost festival-like, that huge plaza creates. I especially love the way Early Entry is handled at MK, with non-resort-guests allowed to stroll about the hub. It’s really pleasant.

And I was very surprised at how much I liked the Be Our Guest restaurant. As a comfort food meat n’ potatoes guy, I loved the entire meal. Loved being encouraged to explore the other rooms afterward. Loved the living suits of armor. Loved the service. Loved not being the only one who dropped a spoon, as you can hear the distinct clatter every time it happens to someone. 😃 As a once-a-year kind of thing, it was 100% worth the price, much more so than some of the other park eateries I tried.

And the collector shop by Gaston’s is my favorite store in any Disney park right now.

Last edited:

Rich T

655E95E8-F481-40F3-B586-9C31A1CD3401.jpeg

Quick thoughts about Netflix’s new animated “Scrooge“ movie:

1) Yes, it IS based on the 1970 Albert Finney musical, though that‘s not immediately apparent, as the classic songs don’t really come in until about the half hour mark.

2) All four ghosts in this movie are wonderful to watch. Fantastic character designs. Great scary moments. They’re the main reason to watch this. That’s Jonathan Pryce voicing Marley.

3) Yes, Scrooge has a dog in this one (inherited from Marley).

4) Yes, the dog goes through the entire adventure with Scrooge.

5) What a stupid addition.

6) Amazingly, they made the stupid addition work. The dog is awesome and never gets annoying and actually adds emotional weight in the climax. What?!?

7) In its determination to find a fresh new way to tell this tale, this film doesn’t always hit the right note, but for every misstep there’s a really clever idea.

8) The opening number is the weakest part; feel free to skip ahead.

9) Worth seeing for the ghosts and lots of creative visual ideas. It’s a strange one, but I think it’s more successful at trying new angles than the Robert Zemeckis mo-cap version.

10) This classic story is indestructible. You can give Scrooge a dog and it still works.

Last edited:

Rich T

Truly! I hadn't heard of this but I'm a fan of The Christmas Carol and very fond of the song December The 25th.
I love that song too, and unfortunately they didn’t include it in this version! They cut out a lot and added a couple of new ones. Among the songs they did keep from the original are “I Like Life” and “Thank You Very Much.”

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Here til Wednesday. Gonna probably write a trip report but so far, it's been nice, clean, busy but not insane busy. Biggest complaint so far: Lots of ride downtime and broken effects. A lot more than I've seen in recent memory.

Monsters Inc broke down when we were right at loading. Little mermaid broke down immediately after we got off (they cleared the line when we were able to exit). Actually for that one, we smelt burnt rubber or burnt something in the Ursula area. Wonder if that had something to do with it?

waltography

Monsters Inc broke down when we were right at loading. Little mermaid broke down immediately after we got off (they cleared the line when we were able to exit). Actually for that one, we smelt burnt rubber or burnt something in the Ursula area. Wonder if that had something to do with it?
We must've been right by each other! Also had to make the U-turn after we'd just gotten in line for Monsters Inc.; decided to kill some time in Philharmagic instead while we waited for our Soarin' LL.

mickEblu

Original Poster
We must've been right by each other! Also had to make the U-turn after we'd just gotten in line for Monsters Inc.; decided to kill some time in Philharmagic instead while we waited for our Soarin' LL.

Didn’t you say you didn’t renew or do I have the wrong guy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom