The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Mac Tonight

Seriously, someone explain it to me like I'm 5...

Let's say: I arrive at Pirates. I try to join the end of the queue. A CM tells me, "I'm so sorry, the standby line is closed right now, due to capacity."

I am either... a) forced to go on my phone and obtain a "Standby Pass" which would allow me a guaranteed trip on Pirates at a later time... or b) I just shrug, say, "oh well", and try my luck with another ride or c) pay extra for something called a "Premier Paid Access"?

Also, if the queues are always moving, how long can they possibly stay "closed"? Why can't I just wait a few minutes for it to reduce and join it then?

Last edited:

DrAlice

Let's say: I arrive at Pirates. I try to join the end of the queue. A CM tells me, "I'm so sorry, the standby line is closed right now, due to capacity."

I am either... a) forced to go on my phone and obtain a "Standby Pass" which would allow me a guaranteed trip on Pirates at a later time... or b) I just shrug, say, "oh well", and try my luck with another ride? or c) pay extra for something called a "Premier Paid Access"?

Also, if the queues are always moving, how long can they possibly stay "closed"? Why can't I just wait a few minutes for it to reduce and join it then?
I have the same questions....
And CAN you choose option C if they've closed the line? If you can, then does that mean that the standby line might never open back up because it was filled with people willing to pay?

If you've described how this works, then I really really really feel sorry for front line cast members. Ugh.

mickEblu

Original Poster

I am either... a) forced to go on my phone and obtain a "Standby Pass" which would allow me a guaranteed trip on Pirates at a later time... or b) I just shrug, say, "oh well", and try my luck with another ride? or c) pay extra for something called a "Premier Paid Access"?

Yup. This is the conclusion I’ve come to. It’s hard to imagine standby lines closing very often. Especially if the reservation system is in place and they are in the least bit concerned about guest experience and capacity.

DrAlice

Can you imagine buying a one day park hopper for your family of four. You paid like $800 or something for all four of youto park hop for the day. You go in the park and most stand by lines are closed, and most stand by passes are gone for the day, and the only way to ride things is to pay an extra $9.50 - $17.75 extra PER PERSON, PER RIDE???
No. I'll go back to Hawaii instead. Seriously.

Mac Tonight

I have the same questions....
And CAN you choose option C if they've closed the line? If you can, then does that mean that the standby line might never open back up because it was filled with people willing to pay?

If you've described how this works, then I really really really feel sorry for front line cast members. Ugh.
I literally have no clue how they can close a Standby queue all day...

And truthfully, if I've described how this works, I feel really sorry for all of us...

lazyboy97o

I am either... a) forced to go on my phone and obtain a "Standby Pass" which would allow me a guaranteed trip on Pirates at a later time... or b) I just shrug, say, "oh well", and try my luck with another ride or c) pay extra for something called a "Premier Paid Access"?

Queues can fill up virtually the same way FastPass allotments can all be used up. If enough people chose option a) it is no longer available to you.

Practical Pig

Can you imagine buying a one day park hopper for your family of four. You paid like $800 or something for all four of youto park hop for the day. You go in the park and most stand by lines are closed, and most stand by passes are gone for the day, and the only way to ride things is to pay an extra $9.50 - $17.75 extra PER PERSON, PER RIDE???
Nope. No way. Absolutely not. If this is the future, I'm out. The app-based reserved pass and dining thing has me on the cusp quitting anyway. I barely use my phone except for making and taking calls and the last thing I want to do is stress over my phone in addition to stressing over the crowds.

With one possible exception - when our youngest was starting to tween, he announced that he wanted his first drink of alcohol to be a hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps on his twenty-first birthday at Hearthstone Lounge at GCH (we were in the bar at the time and his bio-dad was drinking that, and we should be so lucky he waits that long). We told him great, but we couldn't promise that far ahead. He's sixteen now and recently reconfirmed that wish, and we want to make it happen for him, whether or not it's his first drink at that point. So we may have to bite that bullet.

If so, the deal will be he has to cope with all the app-reserving bull****, or whatever off-putting system they have going then. Seems fair.

Mac Tonight

Queues can fill up virtually the same way FastPass allotments can all be used up. If enough people chose option a) it is no longer available to you.
No longer available for the rest of the day??? So me and my party would be SOL because we don't choose to pay an uncharge???

Somehow I don't see that going over too well.

Californian Elitist

Brayden spells out the Paris plan pretty well here. This is the snarkiest I've ever seen him. "incredibles themed Ikea showroom" indeed. 🤣 (His opinion of the new Contemporary re-theme at WDW.)

Thank you for posting this. I have a better understanding of how the system works.

Anyways, kiss. My. AAAAASSSSSSSS. What an absolute JOKE. Any future DLP trips I would have taken are now done. And if it comes here, I’ll continue to do what I’m already doing and travel elsewhere.

You mentioned Maui? Tell me when and I’ll mark the dates.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

They charge more and offer less. We always knew the future was dark when that spray-tanned baldie took charge, but maybe it's all happening too fast. At least delay the horror slightly.
I think the pandemic has helped TWDC in ways we yet even realized.

The lockdowns really helped the Disney + Streaming service.

For the theme parks, the pandemic allowed TWDC to hit the reset button and make changes they always wanted to do and blame it on the pandemic and that the changes are implemented to help and protect their customers. So many good, dedicated, talented cast members were laid off, never to return.

There is so much pent up demand for Disney fans to return to the parks, folks are flocking to the theme parks. The perfect time to introduce the pay to ride fast pass system; again, to help and protect their customers.

Disney wins again.

truecoat

I think the pandemic has helped TWDC in ways we yet even realized.

The lockdowns really helped the Disney + Streaming service.

For the theme parks, the pandemic allowed TWDC to hit the reset button and make changes they always wanted to do and blame it on the pandemic and that the changes are implemented to help and protect their customers. So many good, dedicated, talented cast members were laid off, never to return.

There is so much pent up demand for Disney fans to return to the parks, folks are flocking to the theme parks. The perfect time to introduce the pay to ride fast pass system; again, to help and protect their customers.

Disney wins again.

Discount CA resident tickets for Disneyland show that people aren't flocking to the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom