The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

Can you and @Phrubruh recommend a gaming system for me. I haven’t owned one since N64 or really played any video games since then aside from Mario Kart against my brother in law on his Wii U. I think I’m a Nintendo guy. Growing up I had Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and N64. My favorite games (aside from Mario Kart) were the adventure games like Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Donald Duck quack shot, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time etc. Loved Street Fighter 2 and other weirder fighting games like Clay Fighter. Also enjoyed some shooting games like Turok Dinosaur hunter and Star Wars games like Pod Racers and Rogue Squadron.
IL

I realize Nintendo might be the obvious choice when seeing my list above but do they even make games like these anymore or do I need to move on with the times? Is there anyway I can play some of these old games on a newer system? I’d like to be able to play some retro games but also play some newer Stars Wars games or just new good/ popular games in general. For some reason I remember not being really impressed by one of the last Super Mario Worlds on Wii U. It seemed... small. Nothing like Super Mario 64. Are the adventure games just not what they used to be. Is everything now just war shooting games?

Anyway, this pandemic might actually get me to buy a new system. Just curious to hear your thoughts.
There are a lot of interesting options out there right now. You could get into the emulation scene and build your own system using a Raspberry PI card computer and downloading roms/system emulators for it. That takes work though.

I would say the best option for you right now would be a Nintendo Switch (or Switch Lite). There are thousands of games on their eshop that they have rereleased. They have NES and SNES now but I believe N64 and Gamecube is coming soon.

bdyxqoTGqBPyc8zwaM7QAG.jpg

mickEblu

Original Poster
By all means, get a Nintendo Switch (the full version, not the Lite) and the following games:

Super Mario Odyssey (Best. Mario. Ever.)
Mariokart 8 Deluxe (Mind-Blowing)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

And, if you just want to relax:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Those games will set you up with a massive virtual theme park of outstanding quality and replayability. The Switch can be played on your TV or as an on-the-go handheld, and its eshop has a vast inventory, including solid ports of non-Nintendo games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Resident Evil, Minecraft, and (soon) Doom Eternal.

While PS4 and Xbox (Current model) are more powerful, their focus is mainly shooters, sports sims and gritty, violent adventures. I personally prefer the imaginative, fun, life-affirming joys of Nintendo’s games. They remain the Disneyland of the gaming world.

Awesome! Thank you! I almost forgot about how much fun I used to have playing NBA Jam. Any games like that ?

No Name

In my opinion the Wii is the greatest console ever created. But the Switch is a solid blend of motion controls and traditional gaming, and a solid blend of a portable and home console. It’s hard not to like.

mickEblu

Original Poster
There are a lot of interesting options out there right now. You could get into the emulation scene and build your own system using a Raspberry PI card computer and downloading roms/system emulators for it. That takes work though.

I would say the best option for you right now would be a Nintendo Switch (or Switch Lite). There are thousands of games on their eshop that they have rereleased. They have NES and SNES now but I believe N64 and Gamecube is coming soon.

bdyxqoTGqBPyc8zwaM7QAG.jpg

Thank you! Any good Star Wars games adventure games or Star Wars games in general?

mickEblu

Original Poster
In my opinion the Wii is the greatest console ever created. But the Switch is a solid blend of motion controls and traditional gaming, and a solid blend of a portable and home console. It’s hard not to like.

I definitely enjoy playing Mario Kart 8 on it. Couldn’t get into the Mario World (?) Game my bro in law introducer me to though.

mickEblu

Original Poster
By all means, get a Nintendo Switch (the full version, not the Lite) and the following games:

Super Mario Odyssey (Best. Mario. Ever.)
Mariokart 8 Deluxe (Mind-Blowing)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

And, if you just want to relax:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Those games will set you up with a massive virtual theme park of outstanding quality and replayability. The Switch can be played on your TV or as an on-the-go handheld, and its eshop has a vast inventory, including solid ports of non-Nintendo games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Resident Evil, Minecraft, and (soon) Doom Eternal.

While PS4 and Xbox (Current model) are more powerful, their focus is mainly shooters, sports sims and gritty, violent adventures. I personally prefer the imaginative, fun, life-affirming joys of Nintendo’s games. They remain the Disneyland of the gaming world.

Forgot to ask. Any kind of Mickey Mouse adventure games like Castle of Illusion or Magical quest (?) that my son and I can play? Or are those only on other systems?

Phroobar

lol nice! I still have my old SNES and N64 but they play well on the newer TVs. Aside from the poor image quality there seems to be a lag.
The SNES mini from Nintendo is hdmi compatible. There are ways to get a pixel perfect picture out of original NES/SNES/N64 and Gamecube using add on boards and special cables and upscalers. If you want pixel perfect output there is the Analogue Super NT, Mega SG and AVS. They are expensive but well worth it. Zero lag.

Rich T

Awesome! Thank you! I almost forgot about how much fun I used to have playing NBA Jam. Any games like that ?
NBA Playgrounds 2 (Which, wow is on sale on the eShop right now for $7.50 !?!)

Another game I forgot to mention is ARMS: An original crazy concept from the Mariokart creators. It’s a boxing game full of bizarre, colorful fighters who have Slinky-Style springs for arms. Pure fun, and can be played with motion controls.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Diddy Kong Racing or Bust.

I loved that game! I mean not as great as Mario Kart but great in its own right. I liked how they kind of made it an adventure meets racing game and that you could race planes and boats in addition to cars. For some reason the level with the icy loop seems to resonate the most.

Rich T

Forgot to ask. Any kind of Mickey Mouse adventure games like Castle of Illusion or Magical quest (?) that my son and I can play? Or are those only on other systems?
Right now the only Disney game in that style on Switch is a two-pack of Aladdin and Lion King. But there are a ton of good family-oriented adventures available. I highly recommend the remastered Crash Bandicoot trilogy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom