The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

D

Deleted member 107043

Theme Park design, creating or coming up with attractions that are fun- is much different than everything Musk does.

That's true, but Tomorrowland's mission was initially to be a showcase for cutting edge technology. Unfortunately WDI has proven over and over that it has no clue how to design "the future" in a way that is entertaining to the masses. It's been hit or miss with Tomorrowland's predictions since 1955, and now it looks like they've thrown in the towel and given up. At least Elon Musk has produced technology with real world applications for working products consumers use daily. Besides the Peoplemover concept you can't say that for anything WDI has developed for Tomorrowland.

Children born today will likely never know how to drive and Disneyland still has gasoline powered cars in TOMORROWland. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

SuddenStorm

Yeah, but WDI has no clue how to design "the future" in a way that is entertaining to the masses. It's been hit or miss with Tomorrowland's predictions since 1955. At least Elon Musk has produced technology with real world applications for working products consumers use daily. Besides the Peoplemover concept you can't say that for anything WDI has developed for Tomorrowland.

WDI isn't trying to design Tomorrowland to be "the future" anymore, so while Elon Musk has a much better track record than 1950's theme park designers and corporate sponsors in that regard, I'm not sure that experience would translate well in creatively designing an amusement park land or attractions.

Musk's experience would translate well into helping improve existing infrastucture and ride technologies, so I would be excited to see a partnership with Musk where he helps with the technological side of things.

Rich T

That's true, but Tomorrowland's mission was initially to be a showcase for cutting edge technology. Unfortunately WDI has proven over and over that it has no clue how to design "the future" in a way that is entertaining to the masses. It's been hit or miss with Tomorrowland's predictions since 1955, and now it looks like they've thrown in the towel and given up. At least Elon Musk has produced technology with real world applications for working products consumers use daily. Besides the Peoplemover concept you can't say that for anything WDI has developed for Tomorrowland.

Children born today will likely never know how to drive and Disneyland still has gasoline powered cars in TOMORROWland. :oops:
I think you're jumping the gun by a decade on kids never knowing how to drive (though I, for one, can't WAIT for driving to be taken out of the hands of morons), but how about a high-speed choose-your-own-destination replacement for Autopia? It could be called "Rocket Rods But Good This Time." One way or the other, Autopia should just go away and a modest-sized electric replacement can squeeze into Cars Land.

What made pre-awful Tomorrowland work was its optimism about the future. Whatever's in store for the land, be it realism or fantasy, they need to make it feel light, fun and hopeful. And on-the-move. The kinetic elements are super-important.

Rich T

Speaking of kinetics, I just watched a POV video of Rocket Rods. I only rode it 2 or 3 times, but I'd forgotten something: When the Rods were working, the relocation of Astro Orbiter almost made sense, as the spinner was a thrilling visual focal point of the Rods' beginning launch section and the Rods themselves were a great backdrop for the spinner. Today it's just all turned into garbage. :(

Phroobar

If FoP at DAK has constant 3-4 hour lines that just shows TDO has no clue how to run a theme park. They need to expand FoP with more theaters asap.

BrianLo

If FoP at DAK has constant 3-4 hour lines that just shows TDO has no clue how to run a theme park. They need to expand FoP with more theaters asap.

I think it’s also a strong indication that you need to build E-tickets more than once every 12 years. Not to say there are not capacity woes, but FOP is one of very few modern E-tickets at the most visited Disney resort.

Curious Constance

Guys, I *finally* rode MB for the first time last night after months of resisting. Holy cow, that was awful. Worse than I expected. Frantic storytelling on par with (or worse than) Transformers at Uni. RIP Tower of Terror, you deserve better.

While I thought MB was fun, and has interesting/cool features, and TOT was anything but perfect, over all I think MB is the more forgettable experience when compared to TOT.

I hate how you're constantly bouncing around during show scenes and the audio is nearly inaudible. You can barely make out anything anyone is saying or doing during the scenes.
Also, even though it's literally been years since I've ridden TOT, I still remember the feeling I got when riding for the first time. The show scene where it's explaining what happened all those years ago, and that it was now our turn. That was scary and full of fun intensity. MB totally lost all of that, and replaced it with silly, goofiness. Just much less of an impact in my opinion.

mickEblu

Original Poster
While I thought MB was fun, and has interesting/cool features, and TOT was anything but perfect, over all I think MB is the more forgettable experience when compared to TOT.

I hate how you're constantly bouncing around during show scenes and the audio is nearly inaudible. You can barely make out anything anyone is saying or doing during the scenes.
Also, even though it's literally been years since I've ridden TOT, I still remember the feeling I got when riding for the first time. The show scene where it's explaining what happened all those years ago, and that it was now our turn. That was scary and full of fun intensity. MB totally lost all of that, and replaced it with silly, goofiness. Just much less of an impact in my opinion.

RIP to the star field effect. All the special/ practical effects in the show scenes in TOT worked so much better to really take you some place. Now we re bouncing up and down while we watch a movie. Yayyyy.

George Lucas on a Bench

I was one of the few who defended the exterior for being a neat sci-fi structure, but never supported the change. I did a vlog where I got a Fastpass for it. As I recall, I was disappointed by it and thought the drops lacked the intensity of TOT. The I proceeded to get drunk.

shortstop

Agreed. The plot is admittedly thin already but once you get on the ride they just stop trying. The screenz are lame. Too much going on and the audio like you said is basically inaudible. The one thing I thought was cool was the bobbing up and down of the elevator, but if anything I think it actually detracted from the story because it was distracting.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I was one of the few who defended the exterior for being a neat sci-fi structure, but never supported the change. I did a vlog where I got a Fastpass for it. As I recall, I was disappointed by it and thought the drops lacked the intensity of TOT. The I proceeded to get drunk.

Lol....Oh that’s right, you were OK with the exterior.

Ok I’ll take you off the hit list then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom