The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Alanzo

My two year old believes Mission Breakout is an inferior attraction to Tower of Terror both thematically and aesthetically, and that every action done by Disney towards DCA and Disneyland in the past several years have been an absolute disgrace to the legacy of Walt Disney.

I would like to arrange a playdate.

Consumer

Why is it that the rockwork on Big Thunder at Disneyland and Disneyland Paris looks so much better than the rockwork on Big Thunder at Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland? Was this an artistic decision or is it just because everything at WDW is worse?
1706843575967.png
1706843602912.png

1706843657692.png
1706843673792.png

mickEblu

Original Poster

Consumer

Wow. I never realized it was that different. Their Splash Mountain rock work and briar patch were far worse too.
Disney World fans deny it, but you are correct. Magic Kingdom's briar patch was overly cartoony. While that works for the ride's interiors, it doesn't quite look right outside.
1706844881403.png
1706844900063.png

I don't know if it's because I have a Disneyland bias, but I don't particularly love Tokyo's Splash Mountain. It's a much subtler and less imposing mountain, at least that's what I get from pictures of it. The drop just looks so much shorter for some reason. I do love the abundance of real plants, however.
1706844967287.png

mickEblu

Original Poster
Disney World fans deny it, but you are correct. Magic Kingdom's briar patch was overly cartoony. While that works for the ride's interiors, it doesn't quite look right outside.
View attachment 766388View attachment 766389

I don't know if it's because I have a Disneyland bias, but I don't particularly love Tokyo's Splash Mountain. It's a much subtler and less imposing mountain, at least that's what I get from pictures of it. The drop just looks so much shorter for some reason. I do love the abundance of real plants, however.
View attachment 766394

Agreed. Tokyoโ€™s mountain looks kind of weak but really not liking their tree stump. We had the best Splash Mountain exterior by far. Ride experience too IMO.

October82

Why is it that the rockwork on Big Thunder at Disneyland and Disneyland Paris looks so much better than the rockwork on Big Thunder at Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland? Was this an artistic decision or is it just because everything at WDW is worse?
View attachment 766373View attachment 766374
View attachment 766377View attachment 766379

Disneyland's is based on rock formations in Utah while the others are intended to evoke those in Arizona to better fit in with the architecture of the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland.

View attachment 766373View attachment 766374
View attachment 766377View attachment 766379
Grew up going to WDW, so I admit there is a bias...but you're totally wrong about WDW's Big Thunder. Disneyland's looks like Paper Mache. I do think Tokyo's looks like fried chicken, so you have a point there.

View attachment 766388View attachment 766389

View attachment 766394
Once again, WDW bias here, but I love the cartoony look of WDW's. There is something charming about it.

I just really disliked DL's interior. The outside is fine, but the darkness in there was disquieting. It made the whole thing worse.

On Tokyo, we agree. It's the log that ruins it for me.

October82

At WDW or MK specifically?

I'd say that's true of MK and Hollywood Studios. Even with the downward spiral of DCA, it's still somehow better than Hollywood Studios. The only really compelling reason to visit DHS is for Tower of Terror. Disneyland is far superior to the Magic Kingdom.

What (little) remains of EPCOT Center and most of Animal Kingdom are pretty great and unique to Florida. If they appeal to you, DCA's festival offerings are the 'dollar' store versions of the Epcot ones.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'd say that's true of MK and Hollywood Studios. Even with the downward spiral of DCA, it's still somehow better than Hollywood Studios. The only really compelling reason to visit DHS is for Tower of Terror. Disneyland is far superior to the Magic Kingdom.

What (little) remains of EPCOT Center and most of Animal Kingdom are pretty great and unique to Florida. If they appeal to you, DCA's festival offerings are the 'dollar' store versions of the Epcot ones.

Yeah I havenโ€™t been to WDW. I was originally going to say MK and DHS but then remembered their Hollywoodland/ TOT are much stronger than ours. So if we are talking about comparing specific lands or attractions then DHS doesnโ€™t really qualify. I think people prefer their TSMM. Not sure about Star Tours. I guess if youโ€™re comparing โ€œstudio parkโ€ to โ€œstudio parkโ€ DCA is the winner but they re completely different parks.

Alanzo

At WDW or MK specifically?

MK especially.

I have 3 kids 5 and under... Going to MK after experiencing Disneyland makes me so aware of "the better way".

I like Epcot and Animal Kingdom, full stop. They have successfully managed to be their own thing since their birth.

DHS is okay ... But mostly feels like a really nice outdoor mall with some rides. So big, so hot, so concrete.... so seemingly little to do.

I remember liking it (MGM Studios) a lot more when I was in elementary school. But kids are dumb and impressionable.

DCA is very competitive for all it's shortcomings.

Last edited:

Consumer

Yeah I havenโ€™t been to WDW. I was originally going to say MK and DHS but then remembered their Hollywoodland/ TOT are much stronger than ours. So if we are talking about comparing specific lands or attractions then DHS doesnโ€™t really qualify. I think people prefer their TSMM. Not sure about Star Tours. I guess if youโ€™re comparing โ€œstudio parkโ€ to โ€œstudio parkโ€ DCA is the winner but they re completely different parks.
One of these is better than the other.
1706900495542.png

1706900511248.png

One of these is better than the other.
View attachment 766520
View attachment 766521
I haven't seen this much WDW hate since I read MiceAge! But I'm down for it. You got us beat in Carthay Circles, but pound for pound WDW restaurants are a HUGE win over DL. Now before you start jumping up and down, I must tell you: when it comes to full-service, my family only ate at family-style or buffets. And DL has barely any of those.

Consumer

I haven't seen this much WDW hate since I read MiceAge! But I'm down for it. You got us beat in Carthay Circles, but pound for pound WDW restaurants are a HUGE win over DL. Now before you start jumping up and down, I must tell you: when it comes to full-service, my family only ate at family-style or buffets. And DL has barely any of those.
I can't comment anything on WDW restaurants, but I would agree that Disneyland is lacking in that field. Every time I'm at Disneyland, I find myself at the Hungry Bear. I really should try the Plaza Inn fried chicken some day. The Golden Horseshoe has the best ambiance of the Disneyland restaurants but the menu isn't anything special. Don't even get me started on DCA's lack of options.
Sure but the land as a whole is better at DHS.
Parts of it absolutely are, but the Red Car also gives DCA a major leg up. I think it ultimately evens out. Had DCA actually gone through with a Hollywood Land remodel, I reckon it would have been better than Sunset Blvd. at DHS.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I can't comment anything on WDW restaurants, but I would agree that Disneyland is lacking in that field. Every time I'm at Disneyland, I find myself at the Hungry Bear. I really should try the Plaza Inn fried chicken some day. The Golden Horseshoe has the best ambiance of the Disneyland restaurants but the menu isn't anything special. Don't even get me started on DCA's lack of options.

Parts of it absolutely are, but the Red Car also gives DCA a major leg up. I think it ultimately evens out. Had DCA actually gone through with a Hollywood Land remodel, I reckon it would have been better than Sunset Blvd. at DHS.

Good point with the Red Car. I havenโ€™t been but from what Iโ€™ve seen in videos it just looks more fleshed out. The grounds around TOT are particularly nice. Not to mention it has the original TOT and not that ugly Gaurdians tower. All the sit down restaurants too.

And what!? Youโ€™ve never had Plaza Inn?

Consumer

And what!? Youโ€™ve never had Plaza Inn?
๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Honestly I've just never found myself over there for dinner. I suppose next time I visit (in 37 years) I'll have to make the effort to grab fried chicken.

Thinking about Disneyland food has got me in the mood for a Red Wagon corn dog. Possibly the best snack at the Resort. I would even settle for Hot Dog on a Stick if we had any of those out here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom