The Merch Alert Thread

Practical Pig

Yeah it would have to be a really cool hat for me to buy it. Have you seen the one with just the Cursive Disney "D" in the front? That one is kind of understated.

Yeah, and that one isn't one of the poorly constructed models. I almost pulled the trigger on it, but decided to look further, and didn't get back to it. What I want is something that whispers, and while the D hat isn't yelling, it's still talking out loud. But I appreciate the suggestion.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yeah, and that one isn't one of the poorly constructed models. I almost pulled the trigger on it, but decided to look further, and didn't get back to it. What I want is something that whispers, and while the D hat isn't yelling, it's still talking out loud. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Hahah I agree with your assessment. I would like to see a hat that references a classic attraction or something from an attraction in a subtle way that has a nice vintage look to it.

Practical Pig

I would like to see a hat that references a classic attraction or something from an attraction in a subtle way that has a nice vintage look to it.

Exactly! There was this one that I liked even though the graphics are WDW-centric and are speaking aloud, though in an indoor voice. If it wasn't printed on that substandard construction shell, I would have bought it anyway.
Nautilus Cap.jpg

Figments Friend

This brings up a interesting topic......'loud' merchandise.
I have noticed this type of design trend over the years.

We have all seen the stuff in the Park shops....
Big, bold, tacky, and visually obnoxious designs for various items of merchandise.
Stuff that just lacks appeal, and just smacks of cheapness.
The kind of stuff that makes it obvious the sole purpose of it is to appeal to consumers that want something that 'brags' to others where they have been in a big, bold, visually 'loud' way.
Know what I'm talkin' about...?

Hey, I like colorful stuff...and I like characters....but there are 'tastefully' designed things and then there is 'distastefully' done.
I find a lot of the older merch from years gone by more appealing then a lot of what is offered today from a design standpoint.
Classy, simple, or just darn cool looking.
Today, there seems to not be a lot of it around, or if it is, it's in the high end shops and costs $60 and up.
Perhaps this is why 'retro' themed merch is a popular trend these days....I'm not alone in missing that classic design sense of yore.

Clothing designs, like a lot of the Park t-shirts these days, I see a lot of this 'loudness' in.
I have walked through huge storehouses like 'World of Disney' and not a single shirt has grabbed my attention at times....so many are just too 'generic' looking or have uninteresting graphic designs on them.
It truly is a challange to find a t-shirt that just says 'Disneyland Resort' on it without a lot of visual 'clutter'.
Just try and find a decent design of just the Castle, and the DLR font....without characters involved....centered on a shirts chest.
I DARE you to find one today currently being sold in the shops ( and if you do, let me know because I have been looking for a nice one! )

Maybe this is why I am not a big fan of the 'year dated' series of merch that is released every year.
The designs are always 'loud'.
This series is the first thing that came to mind upon hearing that description...!

:joyfull:

-

Last edited:

Stevek

On the merch front, I don't have much to offer. I have a few items of limited interest.

I mentioned elsewhere that I'm not really a cute character kind of guy, so that reeaally limits my options (though I really LOVE those character-in-ride-vehicles examples above). My frustration the last few trips is that I've been trying to find a simple ball-cap with graphics that are restrained enough for me to stomach. I don't want garish, glittery, cartoony character hats. I want classy, constrained, subtle vintage-feeling Disney graphic hats appropriate to my age. They have a few of those available now, but they seem to be all built by the same company on a substandard construction base that I cannot accept. Oh well. Sucks to be me, I quess.
Yeah, Disney generally makes incredibly poorly constructed hats. I guess it would cost too much but man would I love them to work with someone like New Era.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Okay, I saw the Haunted Mansion portraits. They are quite charming, although the glossy frames look kind of atrocious. They did the portraits so perfectly, why not nail that too? But I can forgive that. What's keeping me from purchasing at the moment is I want cradles to display them like the ones in the store, which they don't sell. So I have to hit Jo-Ann's to see if I can find something suitable.

Which portrait(s) are you getting?

George Lucas on a Bench

I lost mine years ago. Looking back on it, the most charming aspect remains the safety bar. The likeness of the ghost (which I believe is supposed to be the "fat" hitchhiker) is fairly lame. It would have been better without the characters.

Tonight I picked up three of the miniature portraits, but the tightrope girl was unfortunately sold out. I hope it becomes available again. Someone is missing!
DSC00083.JPG

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I lost mine years ago. Looking back on it, the most charming aspect remains the safety bar. The likeness of the ghost (which I believe is supposed to be the "fat" hitchhiker) is fairly lame. It would have been better without the characters.

Tonight I picked up three of the miniature portraits, but the tightrope girl was unfortunately sold out. I hope it becomes available again. Someone is missing!View attachment 187904
Good job finding display thingys to set them on. Where did you find those?

mickEblu

Original Poster

Tonight I picked up three of the miniature portraits, but the tightrope girl was unfortunately sold out. I hope it becomes available again. Someone is missing!View attachment 187904

If you check out eBay once in a while you can find ones that aren't too expensive. The mansion diecast I just bought was 25$ mint in package. I agree with you on the ghost, it doesn't look like the fat one at all. Most of the characters on the other die casts are pretty accurate. If I was creating these things I would of went with the tall or bearded ghost as they are just more striking / appealing to me visually.

Where'd you get those stands/ cradles for the portraits?

And see, told you the tightrope girl sells out fast. Had to buy mine using the Shop Disney parks app. I'm sure it ll be back at the park though, you just have to get there within a few days of the stores getting the shipment.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They have those stands at Jo-Ann Fabric.

Thank you.

On another note you may want to check out eBay. Someone is selling a brand new haunted mansion diecast with the starting bid of 1 cent. It ll probably end up going for about 25$. There are couple for sale now (buy it now) too brand new for between $25 and $30.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom