The Merch Alert Thread

George Lucas on a Bench

These might be my favorite collectables. Apparently they were sold at the parks around the 50th anniversary (except for Lenny and the Star Speeder). I spotted one on ebay and started collecting them. I like to stick to the Disneyland specific ride vehicles.They re actually kind of heavy too and made of good material (not plastic).

Those types of vehicles were sold around '02 or '03 at Disney World. The Doom Buggy was one of my most prized possessions. The safety bar even raised and lowered. Unfortunately, I lost it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Those types of vehicles were sold around '02 or '03 at Disney World. The Doom Buggy was one of my most prized possessions. The safety bar even raised and lowered. Unfortunately, I lost it.

Oh that sucks. I've been eyeing that one. But why does it have a big number "13" on the back? I'm guessing that's what the MK ride vehicles look like?

Figments Friend

These might be my favorite collectables. Apparently they were sold at the parks around the 50th anniversary (except for Lenny and the Star Speeder). I spotted one on ebay and started collecting them. I like to stick to the Disneyland specific ride vehicles.They re actually kind of heavy too and made of good material (not plastic).

Love these!
I have also seen them around, both in the shops back in the day at WDW and for silly prices on eBay.
Always wanted to get the Splash Mountain log...but alas, the resell market is expensive for such a thing.

-

mickEblu

Original Poster
Love these!
I have also seen them around, both in the shops back in the day at WDW and for silly prices on eBay.
Always wanted to get the Splash Mountain log...but alas, the resell market is expensive for such a thing.

-

Yea the weren't cheap. Considering they re original price was like $5.99! Splash Mountain seems to be one of the more reasonably priced ones. I would have bought one a while back had they gone with the DL Log.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Nah, that was just creative license. I wish they would reissue it. I mean, they reissued the hearse, which I also bought in that era. The ride vehicles were great.

Ahhh weird because they didn't really take that liberty with the other vehicles. Yeah they really are great. Incredibly good quality for the price they were originally sold for. I feel like if these were reissued they would sell em for about $20 each. Still way cheaper than eBay.

Figments Friend

Here is a fun set of durable plastic plates I picked up during my Disneyland adventures last year that I use on an almost daily basis.
Great for morning pastries or toast, sandwiches, or just a plate full of snacks.

What I really love about them is not only the cool 'retro' designs and colors, but the fact that these are Disneyland specific.
If you take a closer look at the 'Attractions' pictured, it features a pictorial history lesson through the ages.

These are still currently sold at the Parks but I noticed this past Septemer when I visited only a couple designs were availible out of the original four choices.
They were also being sold online through the Disney Store in the 'Park Merchandise' section for a time.

They come in two sizes, 'dinner plate' size and 'dessert plate' size.
There are also matching bowls and various other accompaniments including tall glassware.

Look for them in World of Disney, the Emporium, and various shops in each 'land'.
I have also seen them at DCA in the large shop on BVS that has a section dedicated to kitchenware....name of it escapes me at the moment...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Yes indeed, these are the only four designs.

I am sure these are also sold at Walt Disney World, which is odd to me as the designs are really more specific to Disneyland.

I guess those 'dumb tourists' won't know the difference...they don' know Park history or pay attention to details like that.

:p

-

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'm sad they ran out of the Main Street Electrical Parades pins really fast! I think they all sold on Friday night alone.

There was nothing left on Saturday when I arrived o_O

That sucks. I was planning on getting the Alice in wonderland one.

It would of been cool if they released some sort of high end figurines / collectibles or something.

George Lucas on a Bench

Okay, I saw the Haunted Mansion portraits. They are quite charming, although the glossy frames look kind of atrocious. They did the portraits so perfectly, why not nail that too? But I can forgive that. What's keeping me from purchasing at the moment is I want cradles to display them like the ones in the store, which they don't sell. So I have to hit Jo-Ann's to see if I can find something suitable.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Okay, I saw the Haunted Mansion portraits. They are quite charming, although the glossy frames look kind of atrocious. They did the portraits so perfectly, why not nail that too? But I can forgive that. What's keeping me from purchasing at the moment is I want cradles to display them like the ones in the store, which they don't sell. So I have to hit Jo-Ann's to see if I can find something suitable.

Yea the frames aren't anything to ride home about although at $25 bucks I think they re pretty decent and like you said the quality of the portrait makes up for it.

Oh cool , I was wondering where I could pick up one of those cradles. Now the only question is do I collect all 4 or just keep it at the tightrope walker and return lady on the tombstone? Hmmm choices. I feel like displaying one is cool but 4 might be overkill even though they aren't too big.

Practical Pig

On the merch front, I don't have much to offer. I have a few items of limited interest.

I mentioned elsewhere that I'm not really a cute character kind of guy, so that reeaally limits my options (though I really LOVE those character-in-ride-vehicles examples above). My frustration the last few trips is that I've been trying to find a simple ball-cap with graphics that are restrained enough for me to stomach. I don't want garish, glittery, cartoony character hats. I want classy, constrained, subtle vintage-feeling Disney graphic hats appropriate to my age. They have a few of those available now, but they seem to be all built by the same company on a substandard construction base that I cannot accept. Oh well. Sucks to be me, I quess.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I picked up all 4 of the HM portraits the other day at the vault store next to the Great moments with Lincoln.

Figures with my luck they have the one I had to buy online. Apparently the tightrope walker portrait sells out very fast and the others seem to stay available. Glad you were able to pick them all up.

mickEblu

Original Poster
On the merch front, I don't have much to offer. I have a few items of limited interest.

I mentioned elsewhere that I'm not really a cute character kind of guy, so that reeaally limits my options (though I really LOVE those character-in-ride-vehicles examples above). My frustration the last few trips is that I've been trying to find a simple ball-cap with graphics that are restrained enough for me to stomach. I don't want garish, glittery, cartoony character hats. I want classy, constrained, subtle vintage-feeling Disney graphic hats appropriate to my age. They have a few of those available now, but they seem to be all built by the same company on a substandard construction base that I cannot accept. Oh well. Sucks to be me, I quess.

Yeah it would have to be a really cool hat for me to buy it. Have you seen the one with just the Cursive Disney "D" in the front? That one is kind of understated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom