Trip Report The May Trip That Would Have Been!

The Trip That Would Have Been-

A Magical Trip with the Parents, to the beach and a 4 Day Disney stay for us. May 3-9th beach and May 9-13 Disney.

I should be packed and ready to have another amazing split beach and Disney trip just hours away. Instead, I have spent the last months like everyone else. Stuck at home endless days upon days, occupying myself baking -which has made me fluffier than usual and making masks and planting veggies for a garden. I have spells where I swear I have been so depressed, I cannot breathe. That just makes me end up feeling guilty. My husband and son’s jobs are safe and even though they have been home more, both still get paid the same regardless. We are very lucky and I should not get depressed, knowing so many have lost their jobs and are struggling. We are all healthy thus far and blessed, but I cannot help but miss my Happy Place. Heck, if it was just open and we decided to wait it would be better somehow.

But enough with all the blues. I am going to live on the what could have beens to keep me sane for awhile.

I also hope all my Disney friends and family are safe. I know that I am not the only person probably, waxing poetic, and sad over a trip that should have happened but did not.

If there is one place that draws me almost as much as Walt Disney World it would be Georgia’s hidden gem- Jekyll Island.

I first visited there as a little girl of 6 or 7 with my parents. It is so peaceful, quiet and serene and has mostly remained as I remember it from childhood. We usually go to Disney first then spend time there to unwind and rest after going nonstop like lunatics but this trip we were taking my parents and B’s Mom so Jekyll was first.

We would have first stopped at the local Winn Dixie for groceries and of course went into Brunswick for fresh Sweet Georgia Brown Shrimp off the boats. There isn’t a better shrimp, IMO. Not even a Key West Pink can top them. We use the small kitchen to cook and utilize the outside grills. Unlike a Disney part of a vacation, this is just pure staying at and on the beach all day, I make lunch and take in a cooler- Then for dinner we cook some pretty awesome meals for what we have to prep and eat on our balcony overlooking the ocean. Sometimes we order a pizza too. ;)

I would have taken a really crappy pic of the Jekyll sign.
60555651-53C4-41CD-8033-3FC433787654.jpeg

Sprayed the room down, being my germaphobic self, then headed straight to the beach. An empty beach!
DB25D92C-8BB3-4659-9125-4B3BA3076B16.jpeg

94779D20-8BC9-4DA3-B195-4058F073FBAD.jpeg

E017C47A-8D31-4E99-99E7-FFDE61C31509.jpeg

Of course, I had to stick my toes in the surf!
4F2C2D82-73C5-467C-A929-58809D5B3E26.jpeg

(as would Stinker, if he had been able to come along with us.)
609C5050-B861-497B-8665-908A31EE38BF.jpeg

Is there anything sweeter than *new* feet? That super baby soft skin that lasts until about 5-6 years old?

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Lunch for me would have been boiled peanuts, and a salad or a deviled ham sandwich.
DD645A38-3100-4BDF-9344-9567EC6892A9.jpeg

Probably sandwiches and boiled peanuts for the parents.

Plenty of Guacamole, for B, (made fresh by me, but I am anti Avocado) with chips and a beer or two.
064AB9BA-E812-4BA3-8818-51760118AABB.jpeg

We would have headed back to make dinner, but of course, snapped a silly selfie, with our Jekyll Visors on.
446211B4-09E0-4AA6-9BAF-8A089706A8BD.jpeg

Dinner would look about like this, night one. With extra beer boiled shrimp on the side!
FE4B5684-81A1-428F-8895-9EEE097DEF75.jpeg

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
We would have seen something about like this, on our after dinner stroll. Probably pick up a few sand dollars to add to the Beach Christmas tree.
4B09AC49-DC6D-471B-A048-26A23F1BD449.jpeg
F3B3E7CD-5C6F-4743-8629-7BEBF61A2764.jpeg

I would clean up the mess, from dinner then read an amazing southern, coastal book on the balcony watching the boats at night. Most likely take a sneak peek on the boards to see whom of my fellow magicians I might meet up with in a few days. Then a peaceful sleep I would fall under, ready to wake up and greet the Sunrise for a full day of 🏝 Laziness.

Last edited:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Don’t feel guilty for feeling your feelings. (Although it’s easier said than done) You know their are others in worse situations but that doesn’t mean you have to pretend like this all doesn’t suck.

Also I have a Northern question. Are boiled peanuts exactly what they sound like? Is there a seasoning on them?

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Don’t feel guilty for feeling your feelings. (Although it’s easier said than done) You know their are others in worse situations but that doesn’t mean you have to pretend like this all doesn’t suck.

Also I have a Northern question. Are boiled peanuts exactly what they sound like? Is there a seasoning on them?
A true “southern” boiled peanut is in the shell, green and cooked with hot Crushed red peppers and a bit of hot sauce and tons of salt. Think more like a bean, than a nut they get softer, and heavenly. Roadside stands are all up over the south, offering them. I adore them. It was always a thing to stop when I was a kid and get them. We, even in the south, in NC, normally had to get to SC to see the stands offering them. Now, they are here at every store too. I cannot go to Georgia and not eat boiled peanuts though. 😂

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
First, enjoying your story here, but northern gal also, I had to google if you eat the shell or not on those peanuts! 🤣
Do not eat the shell. Some people do eat the tiny ones, but I would not. You haven’t lived until you have tried a real boiled peanut though. ;)

MickeyCB

Do not eat the shell. Some people do eat the tiny ones, but I would not. You haven’t lived until you have tried a real boiled peanut though. ;)
My son goes to school in Georgia, the next time we are there I will definitely try them. My husband loves raw peanuts and I have a very hard time finding them for him up here.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Day 2 -

B would have gotten up early to fish. I probably would have bailed on greeting the sunshine due to staying up too late reading on the balcony.

We would have had breakfast then I would have packed and loaded the cooler with our lunch.

Lots of beach walking early then I would be parked here-
6C2B87FB-AE6A-4E79-8E34-393A58F891E3.jpeg

Until I was a nice toasty brown.

7FD64710-D298-45F1-8131-F37298177601.jpeg

Getting up just to see what B’s catches for the day were when he reeled them in.
30A8CAF8-5B1A-491A-907D-A65CDF905618.jpeg

42EC3032-93E3-4CC5-A1CB-B7B39189D30C.jpeg

EA6960BE-EACE-4FE1-B77A-93F7A9158C6E.jpeg

And I would begin judging how far I go into the surf after witnessing the catches. Knowing Mama Shark has to be pretty close!

Jekyll’s water in the surf is root beer colored and cloudy due to the rich River soil that washes up so you can’t hardly see a thing in the water where it breaks. Day one I am on a boogie board riding waves and going out pretty far. The catching of sharks always abruptly brings that to an end. 😳

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
I could almost believe that I was there... were it not for the sound of the track hoe B is using to clear brush in our backyard. 😳And the chainsaw, and the brush bonfire smoking me out while I try to catch some rays.

My chair still had Jekyll sand on it and I have my Disney towels laid down, water beside me in the pool, (that I am not so patiently waiting to heat up another few degrees) Carolina Blue skies, and boiled peanuts for lunch!
6202C49C-36B0-45D2-B62C-CC8E301F3B7A.jpeg

A59F7BEB-24E5-4D93-A2C3-3F8CB197067D.jpeg

5059919A-8059-4B41-B743-268BB3A3BA99.jpeg

If this is my last post, you guys will know that I jumped in before it heated up more and either cramped and drowned or had a heart attack!

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
The peanuts today, were a shot too big and too grown. It was a frozen bag, B got at our local grocery. Definitely not real boiled peanuts.

But moving back to the trip that would have been.
Would have been very special to me to walk on a beach with my Mom. That was their thing when I was little. I have been to so many beaches- at an age, so young, I don’t remember the first time I saw the ocean. This would have been the first trip back with my Mom since I was a pre-teen. :(

One of the things I remember so clearly about Jekyll, was Sand Dollars, that and it being so empty and beautiful. Oak trees, on the beach, at the resort dripping with Spanish Moss. White dunes with sea grass, oats, whatever it is called. It sits undisturbed, for the most part, a peaceful getaway, so different from ,say -Myrtle Beach- the place so so many people flock to. (And I have always despised)
5BADCFFE-5D83-4447-BE36-263E219A2440.jpeg

We would have checked out the driftwood,
D5FA7445-5DA4-4D57-A525-17529BE5E59D.jpeg

enjoyed an empty beach at the end of the day-
B8A1B1A4-031D-420D-A694-0F6830A50B60.jpeg
1D3A2B2A-B496-42A6-AAA1-9E27E591526F.jpeg

but not before a Mickey being drawn in the sand, by B and checking in on Squirt.
9B262EE9-B4B8-4638-9D29-E4BCC643B3D4.jpeg

9DDC8802-F852-4A51-B33D-0B570B1B2BA5.jpeg

Then off to cook a way too amazing meal for what we had to do it with- and a night of kicked back watching the fishing boats come in on the balcony.
646666F2-74DF-4A3E-9071-1915546D0A7C.jpeg

2DFA3A0C-A00E-436E-983C-00F3EE990ECD.jpeg

By sun down Day two, my husband would have looked very much like a lobster.
074B2E0D-D49D-4AF8-9C87-FCB574E8E72C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1392E1BB-0D0C-4415-9521-FA561D7244A4.jpeg
    1392E1BB-0D0C-4415-9521-FA561D7244A4.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 220

riverside

Ok, my curiosity really got the best of me with these boiled peanuts. I did a little research & of course you can't get them around here. Then the light bulb went off in my head--our grocery distributor is in the south, maybe they have them?? Here's where I need your advice--they have them in a can. Truth be told, it sounded pretty gross to me but I wanted to know if it's worth me giving them a try? The brand is Peanut Patch & they come in 3 different kinds--BBQ, Cajun & Salt N Vinegar. I also looked up a recipe on how to make them but I know I've touched on my (lack of) cooking abilities in my TR's so that is out of the question!!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Ok, my curiosity really got the best of me with these boiled peanuts. I did a little research & of course you can't get them around here. Then the light bulb went off in my head--our grocery distributor is in the south, maybe they have them?? Here's where I need your advice--they have them in a can. Truth be told, it sounded pretty gross to me but I wanted to know if it's worth me giving them a try? The brand is Peanut Patch & they come in 3 different kinds--BBQ, Cajun & Salt N Vinegar. I also looked up a recipe on how to make them but I know I've touched on my (lack of) cooking abilities in my TR's so that is out of the question!!
The Peanut Patch is actually pretty darn good! It is actually my favorite of the already made kind. Stores around here heat them in crock pots and sell them by the pints. I like the Cajun style. I make them when I have raw peanuts in the crock pot with a handful of crushed red pepper, a good bit of hot sauce and tons of salt. It takes way more salt than you think to soak into the shell. I usually cook them all day long after starting with boiling water, and they are ready that night.

riverside

The Peanut Patch is actually pretty darn good! It is actually my favorite of the already made kind. Stores around here heat them in crock pots and sell them by the pints. I like the Cajun style. I make them when I have raw peanuts in the crock pot with a handful of crushed red pepper, a good bit of hot sauce and tons of salt. It takes way more salt than you think to soak into the shell. I usually cook them all day long after starting with boiling water, and they are ready that night.
Thanks for the info!! I just may have to order them to give it a try!! Besides not being a good cook I don't know if I could make them b/c I don't think I've ever seen raw peanuts around here!!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!! I just may have to order them to give it a try!! Besides not being a good cook I don't know if I could make them b/c I don't think I've ever seen raw peanuts around here!!
It is so funny how things differ in different states and regions. I always loved raw peanuts too, then quit eating them a few years ago when I read they can cause health problems if eaten raw. Now my fix is boiled peanuts, which I always loved too. I don’t like roasted peanuts at all. I will warn you they are a bit messy though. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom