Trip Report The Many Adventures of the Figaro Family in Florida

We are back! It's going to take me a little bit of time to organize the photos and my thoughts but I thought I'd at least get this trip report started. For anyone who wants to get to know us, you can read my pre-trip report "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place (and I can't wait to get to mine!)"
Quick re-rundown of the family: Me (Jo), my husband James, daughter Maddie (13), son Xander (10).
This was the longest vacation our family of four has ever taken together. Ten nights total in three different hotel rooms. It was a lot of togetherness but I think we all handled it pretty well, aside from various late night awakenings from loud snoring(James and Xander) and my daughter Maddie's sleep talking. I'm sure she does this at home too, but we don't hear her in her room. Every night on every vacation we've been on she'll sit up suddenly and start angrily lecturing about something while wildly gesturing. She never remembers it the next day and I'm left curious what she was dreaming about. No one complained about anything I did, so I assume I slept like an angel that does not snore or talk in her sleep;).
I'll begin with the very end of the trip while it is still fresh in my mind then go back to the beginning when I get the photos organized.
The trip ended last night with a bit of good news then bad news. Good news was our flight got us home to Portland a full hour early!!!! It was a combo of being able to take off 15 minutes ahead of schedule and winds of some kind that shaved of the other 45 minutes. We were supposed to get home at 7:30pm pacific time but got in closer to 6:30. We were really excited because that meant we had a chance at picking up our three pets from boarding before the place closed at 9pm. We had thought we'd have to wait until this morning.
The first inkling of bad news came when we got our car from the long term lot and tried to pay the parking fee. James swiped his credit card but it got rejected. He tried again, rejected again. We try mine (same account), it gets rejected. "That's not good..." we say to each other. He pays with the bank card and we race home so we can drop of the luggage and James and Maddie can go to pick up the pets. I say "don't you think we should call the credit card company?" he says "I don't wan't to waste time with that, let's just get the pets home". They get to the boarding place and James tries to pay, the credit card gets rejected again. So there he is in the pet hotel calling the credit card company to find out what's going on. Apparently multiple fraudulent charges started showing up on our account while we were in the air and our cards got shut down. We use Disney Chase Visa and I do have to applaud them for catching this so quickly. James was able to get them to let our charge for the pet boarding go through before they fully shut down the account and we were able to identify all the charges that we did not make and don't have to worry about them. It didn't make for a nice relaxing homecoming at all! I have a bad feeling that it happened at the airport just before we boarded the plane. I went to one of those airport stands that sell snacks and picked up a few things for us to eat on the plane. I swiped the card instead of using the chip without thinking and even had a moment of unease about it at the time. I think it was an ideal place for someone to install one of those card skimmers:grumpy:.
This was truly the most drama filled moment of the entire trip. thought there were a few smaller ones that felt big at the time! I'll start at the beginning on my next post.
...stay tuned for part one: An extremely early morning drive to the airport.

Figaro Family

Original Poster
After the ride on the Mine Train we had about 25 minutes before official party start time. What we wanted to do next was take a circle tour on the Railroad since we'd been so busy the other days at MK that we hadn't done this yet! Unfortunately when we got to the Fantasyland station we were informed by the conductor that we could get on but it was only making one more stop at Main Street for the night and then would shut down for the party:(. We didn't get on because we didn't want to have to walk all the way back to collect the stroller. OK then, how about another nostalgic favorite that we hadn't fit in yet, CoP. We went through "smoker's ally" to cut over to Tomorrowland but CoP was closed:arghh:. What we figured out was that the set up for trick or treating had changed from the previous time we went. Two years ago most of the treat stations were outdoors but this time they turned several buildings into indoor trick or treating walks with multiple stops. This was why things like CoP got shut down early for the party. It wasn't 7pm yet but there was already a very long line of people outside waiting to get in for the treats. This is why we also missed out on Philharmagic on this trip which Maddie was surprisingly bummed about. I love it when she still likes things I was worried she'd outgrown!
We really needed to come up with something to do now, which is when I came up with the perfect alternative nearby. Our first time ever ride on the People Mover! Just like the Farm Ride over at Epcot, I had never once considered going on this until I read about it here on WDW Magic. With the cult following it seemed to have, we had to try it out.
IMG_8240 (2).JPG
IMG_8189.JPG

James and Maddie were skeptical until the part where we went through Space Mountain. That was pretty cool! Yay we did something new! It didn't quite make up for missing three of our favorite things but oh well there's always next time:joyfull:.

Figaro Family

Original Poster
Once we were done journeying on the People Mover MNSSHP had officially started which meant ride wait times dropped significantly. Maddie wanted another ride on Space Mountain and Xander wanted any roller coaster available. We were right there and the wait time was down to 10 minutes so James agreed to take them. There was no way I was repeating my mistake from the other day!
IMG_8721.JPG

James kept his hands on Xander's shoulders. I think he was paranoid that he'd fly out:eek:.
When we went to collect the stroller afterwards we found this parked by it.
IMG_8249.JPG

I'd read about the small company that creates and rents these out before we left on our trip but didn't think I'd actually see one, wow!

Figaro Family

Original Poster
Maddie wanted to do some trick or treating but the lines in Tomorrowland were crazy long. We decided to brave smokers alley again and try our luck in Fantasyland. There were several people puffing away back there with kids in strollers right next to them:(. Maddie has really gotten the "smoking is bad" message and could barely restrain herself from saying something loudly about it as we were walking through. "That is so gross" she muttered several times as we passed through. My kid isn't going to try cigarettes ever, yay!

There was a Trick or Treat path in Pete's sideshow and the line was short so we went in to collect some candy. Xander does not go out trick or treating and actually does not like candy other than M&M's and sometimes peanut butter cups so he wasn't very enthusiastic but we got him to go through anyway:).
IMG_8251 (2).JPG
IMG_8254 (2).JPG
IMG_8199.JPG
IMG_8201.JPG
IMG_8196.JPG
IMG_8202.JPG

Figaro Family

Original Poster
We made a decision to skip the first Boo to You parade of the party and hold out for the second parade. This gave us about two and a half hours to just enjoy the rides and party atmosphere instead of scrambling for a good parade viewing spot and waiting there for a long time. This is what we'd done two years before and it felt like that took up a lot of the party time, which was fine then because we'd been at MK all day. This time we wanted to soak it all in a bit more. The plan was to go on rides and do some more trick or treating then get a spot for the fireworks show, then the stage show, then the second parade.
After our first trick or treat session Xander was asking for a ride on the teacups. We had Maddie and Xander go together while James and I shared a teacup with no kids for the first time in forever! I probably should have taken a picture to document this but I was too busy watching the kids enjoy themselves:p.
IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8214.JPG
IMG_8222.JPG
IMG_8218.JPG
IMG_8224.JPG

After that we took a spin on Dumbo. I should have had the kids go together on this one too but I think we split up out of habit.
IMG_8255 (2).JPG
IMG_8261 (2).JPG
IMG_8263 (2).JPG

Next was a quick jarring ride on Goofy's Barnstormer, no pictures from that one. I asked Maddie what she wanted to do next and she very enthusiastically said that she wanted to go on Little Mermaid because we hadn't done that this trip:happy:. Another one I wasn't sure she'd still like. Little Mermaid was close by so on we went with zero wait time!
IMG_8266 (2).JPG
IMG_8268 (2).JPG

Hello fellow redhead!

Figaro Family

Original Poster
We were feeling thirsty and decided to try Lefou's brews from Gaston's Tavern nearby. For some reason I've never made it into Gaston's tavern before.
IMG_8230.JPG
We enjoyed the brews but agreed that they were slightly inferior to butter beers. We sat by the Gaston fountain for a couple of minutes after getting the drinks. Xander had a lemonade instead of a brew which he tipped back too far when he was taking a drink and ended up spilling some on himself. He immediately demanded new clothes. James took him into the restroom that was thankfully right by the tavern and was able to get him dried off enough with the hand dryer that he was convinced not to change clothes. I tried to get a picture of Maddie by the fountain while they were in the bathroom but it was totally dark out now so this is the best I got.
IMG_8275 (2).JPG
Maddie was fully into the Disney/Halloween spirit by now and was anxious to do more trick or treating. This was funny to me because earlier in the week when I'd asked her if she thought she'd do much trick or treating at the party, she was like "oh, I don't know, probably not." In her coolest, I don't care one way or the other tone. I took her to the station in Pinocchio's Village Haus while James sat with Xander so he could drink more of his lemonade.
IMG_8277 (2).JPG
IMG_8279 (2).JPG
We went across the way to the station in Philharmagic too but I didn't get any photos there.
Then we met back up with James and Xander and took a ride on the carousel.
IMG_8281 (2).JPG

Somehow I didn't get a picture of Xander riding this time:oops:. I did get a picture of the castle from the Carousel side, it looked really cool lit up in green and purple.
IMG_8287 (2).JPG

Then we went on Peter Pan.
IMG_8291 (2).JPG
Of course since Peter Pan is right across from Small World that meant Xander demanded yet another voyage. Maddie wanted to collect more candy so James agreed to take Xander on Small World while Maddie and I hunted down more candy stations. We found one at the riverboat.
IMG_8306 (2).JPG

IMG_8310 (2).JPG
I tried to get a picture of her with the Haunted Mansion lit up in the background. Then we hiked to the Splash Mountain area for one last candy pit stop.
IMG_8311 (2).JPG
I'm not sure where that bright light is coming from but it's kind of spooky.
Maddie decided that she had enough candy now and we could stop:rolleyes:. I was trying to figure out how we were going to get it all home the next day. We were closing in on needing to get to the castle to find a viewing spot for the fireworks. Maddie wanted one last ride on Pirates so I called James to see where he was at. He and Xander had just finished their second ride on Small World. He agreed to head to the hub to scout out a spot for us while Maddie and I jumped on Pirates. (I didn't get the ride photo this time either because we were mostly hidden behind some people in front of us.) After Pirates we hurried toward the hub while I called James to find out where they were...

Tomorrow: The conclusion of MNSSHP (and our last vacation night)

Figaro Family

Original Poster
James was very excited about the spot he'd found for us. Right behind the fence of the planter directly in front of the castle! I complemented him on his excellent scouting. This was also a really good spot to see the stage show after the fireworks so we decided to stay put to watch both. Xander was in a happy mood as the fireworks were about to start.
IMG_8315 (2).JPG

IMG_8233.JPG

Our really good view of the castle and stage. Just had to lean side to side a bit with that small and light post during the stage show.
IMG_8235.JPG
IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8239.JPG
IMG_8244.JPG
IMG_8245.JPG
IMG_8246.JPG
IMG_8248.JPG
IMG_8259.JPG
The Hallowishes fireworks show is really good. The castle projections are a little primitive compared to HEA but I bet when they update this eventually it will be pretty cool!

Figaro Family

Original Poster
We only had to wait 15-20 minutes for the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular show to start after the fireworks. James and Xander hadn't had a chance to see this on our last trip and Maddie and I didn't have a very good view that night so we were excited to see it up close. Maddie has also seen Hocus Pocus now, so that made it more fun for her.
IMG_8269.JPG
IMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8276.JPG
IMG_8274.JPG
IMG_8281.JPG
IMG_8294.JPG
IMG_8296.JPG

This last picture is really out of focus (sorry!) but I'd forgotten until I added it here that Xander got out of his stroller to watch the show since he had the railing to lean on.

Figaro Family

Original Poster
Once the stage show was done we just had to wait another 15-20 minutes for the last parade to start. It was after 11pm by now. We were really pushing it with the late night. The latest we'd been out the entire vacation. Was Xander fussing? Actually no, he was holding strong:). It was Maddie who started to fade. "so, can we go back to the hotel? I'm tired and my feet hurt." I told her to "Tough it out kid." There was no way we were going to miss the Hallowishes parade, especially since Xander was still happy. It was the grand finale!
A bunch of people to our left cleared out after the stage show was done so we were able to claim an even better parade viewing spot:happy:. We had a straight shot view of the bridge from Frontierland that the parade would be coming over and then by the front of the castle. Luckily for Maddie, enough space was open that she could sit on the ground to wait for the parade.
IMG_8298.JPG
IMG_8323 (2).JPG
We'd remembered to bring along the light up ghost Mickey we'd bought for Xander two years ago which kept him entertained.
And then the parade began!
IMG_8320 (2).JPG
IMG_8322 (2).JPG
My shots of the headless horseman are dissapointingly
out of focus for what a great view we had.
IMG_8313.JPG
IMG_8316.JPG
IMG_8317.JPG
IMG_8318.JPG
IMG_8323.JPG

Figaro Family

Original Poster
I didn't take a lot of parade pictures because I wanted to enjoy watching but here are the rest of them.
IMG_8325.JPG
IMG_8326.JPG
IMG_8327.JPG
IMG_8330.JPG

As a reward to all of us for making it through the whole party, we decided that we had to get a Halloween themed treat before we left. Maddie's vote was for candy corn soft serve so we tracked that down at Aunty Gravity's in Tomorrowland. It was a good choice:hungry:. Then it was time to leave:cry:.
IMG_8328 (2).JPG
IMG_8329 (2).JPG

Goodbye MK! I hope we'll be back sometime real soon.
We hopped in our Minnie Van for the return ride to Beach Club and got ready for bed.

Next time: The countdown to leave begins:(

Figaro Family

Original Poster
Wednesday August 30

Well It's finally here, the last hours of our Many Adventures in Florida:(.

The best part of this day was that our flight out wasn't until 4pm which meant we could sleep in just a little before the final dash to finish packing and check out of the room by 11am. We'd received our walking papers the day before.
IMG_8354.JPG
Once again, the Magical Express isn't nearly as fun to take back to the airport but since we hadn't been able to use it earlier in the trip, we were looking forward to it. James was downright ecstatic that he wouldn't have to drive to the airport. We were both relieved that we wouldn't have to deal with returning the rental there or even checking in our bags since we could do all that at the Beach Club!
We got up at 8:30 and had all the bags lined up to go by 10:30. I took this picture because I thought they looked like a family of ducks in
a row:D.
IMG_8332 (2).JPG

James took all the carry on's to bell services and then we took the other suitcases to checked for the flight outside. We had an ADR for breakfast at the Captain's Grille for 10:55. The actual Captain's Grille was closed for a remodel so it was temporarily relocated to Ariel's which is normally only used for private events. I thought it was really pretty in there and was happy we had the chance to see it.
IMG_8355.JPG
IMG_8353.JPG
The ADR wasn't really necessary, there was hardly anyone there and we had a nice quiet last Disney meal. The food was really good and we got a little discount with our Disney Visa card.
IMG_8349.JPG
IMG_8332.JPG

After our meal we had a little over an hour before we needed to be out front waiting for the "Tragical Express" We decided to let the kids have some fun in the arcade. Xander had spotted it the other night when we went to Beaches and Cream and had asked for "Chuck E. Cheese" several times.
IMG_8362.JPG
IMG_8358.JPG
IMG_8363.JPG

This is actually Xander's favorite game at Chuck E. Cheese. He was very pleased to find it here.

Figaro Family

Original Poster
After spending some time in the arcade we took a walk to the Yacht Club lobby to check it out.
IMG_8370.JPG

Then we admired the sandcastles on our walk back to the Beach Club lobby.
IMG_8376.JPG

We settled into some comfy chairs to wait out the rest of our time.
IMG_8379.JPG
IMG_8382.JPG

Xander displaying his ability to get cozy in any situation.

After a few minutes, Maddie and I decided to take a quick look around the gift shop since we had 20 minutes left.
IMG_8385.JPG
IMG_8388.JPG
I got her to model these ear hats. I wish we'd gotten her the R2D2 one for the night before.
Then it was time to go.
IMG_8395.JPG
IMG_8400.JPG

Maddie was instructed to look sad, she went more for sleepy but you get the point. Xander did a very good unhappy face.
Soon the Magical Express arrived and whisked us away to the airport.
IMG_8407.JPG
IMG_8415.JPG

It was officially time to say goodbye:cry:.

I will conclude tomorrow with final thoughts...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom