Trip Report The Many Adventures of the Figaro Family in Florida

We are back! It's going to take me a little bit of time to organize the photos and my thoughts but I thought I'd at least get this trip report started. For anyone who wants to get to know us, you can read my pre-trip report "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place (and I can't wait to get to mine!)"
Quick re-rundown of the family: Me (Jo), my husband James, daughter Maddie (13), son Xander (10).
This was the longest vacation our family of four has ever taken together. Ten nights total in three different hotel rooms. It was a lot of togetherness but I think we all handled it pretty well, aside from various late night awakenings from loud snoring(James and Xander) and my daughter Maddie's sleep talking. I'm sure she does this at home too, but we don't hear her in her room. Every night on every vacation we've been on she'll sit up suddenly and start angrily lecturing about something while wildly gesturing. She never remembers it the next day and I'm left curious what she was dreaming about. No one complained about anything I did, so I assume I slept like an angel that does not snore or talk in her sleep;).
I'll begin with the very end of the trip while it is still fresh in my mind then go back to the beginning when I get the photos organized.
The trip ended last night with a bit of good news then bad news. Good news was our flight got us home to Portland a full hour early!!!! It was a combo of being able to take off 15 minutes ahead of schedule and winds of some kind that shaved of the other 45 minutes. We were supposed to get home at 7:30pm pacific time but got in closer to 6:30. We were really excited because that meant we had a chance at picking up our three pets from boarding before the place closed at 9pm. We had thought we'd have to wait until this morning.
The first inkling of bad news came when we got our car from the long term lot and tried to pay the parking fee. James swiped his credit card but it got rejected. He tried again, rejected again. We try mine (same account), it gets rejected. "That's not good..." we say to each other. He pays with the bank card and we race home so we can drop of the luggage and James and Maddie can go to pick up the pets. I say "don't you think we should call the credit card company?" he says "I don't wan't to waste time with that, let's just get the pets home". They get to the boarding place and James tries to pay, the credit card gets rejected again. So there he is in the pet hotel calling the credit card company to find out what's going on. Apparently multiple fraudulent charges started showing up on our account while we were in the air and our cards got shut down. We use Disney Chase Visa and I do have to applaud them for catching this so quickly. James was able to get them to let our charge for the pet boarding go through before they fully shut down the account and we were able to identify all the charges that we did not make and don't have to worry about them. It didn't make for a nice relaxing homecoming at all! I have a bad feeling that it happened at the airport just before we boarded the plane. I went to one of those airport stands that sell snacks and picked up a few things for us to eat on the plane. I swiped the card instead of using the chip without thinking and even had a moment of unease about it at the time. I think it was an ideal place for someone to install one of those card skimmers:grumpy:.
This was truly the most drama filled moment of the entire trip. thought there were a few smaller ones that felt big at the time! I'll start at the beginning on my next post.
...stay tuned for part one: An extremely early morning drive to the airport.

Figaro Family

Original Poster
Just finished reading- thanks for taking the time to write it all, I really enjoyed reading it. I love reading trip reports that involve kids. I like making comparisons to our trips and its also nice to think, oh we could be doing that in a few years. I can't believe what park warriors you guys are. So many days of rope drop to fireworks. Our girls are still in the 'bed by 7' phase :)
I really enjoyed the first part at Universal. I'd love to see the Harry Potter stuff someday. There's just so much to do at Disney, it seems impossible to think about adding more parks into a weeks vacation.

I also want to thank you for your kindness and consideration to others on your vacation. Thinking of other families waiting in line, or going out of your way to be kind and thankful to cast members. I love seeing these things. Such an important trait to pass down to our kids.

Thanks again for sharing, I hope Xander enjoyed North Dakota despite there being no teacups :)
Oh wow, thank you for the compliments! We try to do our best balancing giving the kids a fun childhood where possible while avoiding "spoilage" which has mostly worked out so far! In my ideal world everyone treats each other kindly and Disney is a place where that instinct is more likely to appear. Perhaps a good argument for Disney to run the world?

Figaro Family

Original Poster
I've been going through trip report withdrawal this week so I thought I'd share a photo from our North Dakota trip. We had a great time visiting with family and Xander eventually got over not being at Disney. We even found a carousel for him and he happily rode on it even though it wasn't a Disney carousel:happy:.
IMG_8793.JPG

BTW it was freezing cold there, luckily this was an indoor carousel!

Rista1313

I discovered that rather than bug bites I had a 2-3 inch rash surrounding my right ankle like a cuff and a patchy rash on my left ankle too:in pain:. It was really gross, I took pictures so I could compare the next day if it was better or worse but I will not subject anyone to that here:depressed:. Luckily I'd brought benadryl cream along so I could cover my ankles with that. James ran out to the gift shop and found some benadryl I could take to get to sleep. It was really itchy and uncomfortable by then.
I still have no idea where the rash came from. It got better over the next few days then flared up again briefly after we got home.
With that bit of excitement we ended day 8 of the vacation!

I was just reading about this... they call it the "disney rash" and say that it's from chemicals they use to wash the sidewalks with. Which makes sense because this day or maybe it was the day before you were walking around on wet streets after a downpour at the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom