The Magic is gone!

Gshrout

Original Poster
Face it folks, we all knew it was a matter of time before everyone else caught on to our tricks of when to go and when not to go to WDW. My preferred time was the 1st two weeks of December. But,between the Brazilians love for Disney World and Europeans disgust of Disney Paris, everyone is flocking to Orlando. Those days of low attendance have vanished.

I live on the Gulf Coast which is approximately a 7-8 hour drive to WDW. Many folks here from Alabama to Texas are avid Disney Freaks, and we all have the antenna toppers to prove it. But much of the Disney talk among us lately has been mostly negative. The consensus is that Disney has not expanded enough to handle the crowds. The planned up grades to the parks (i.e. Star Wars and Pixar) is too little and still will not ease the situation. A lot of the talk has turned into how folks are fed up with Disney and going there is a waste of money. I'm reading much of the same about Disneyland.

I'm posting this here because I know that a lot of you who visit this Forum, earn your livelihood through Disney in some way or another. If we here on the Gulf Coast stop going, how much longer will it be before the good folks from New England and the Heartland get fed up as well. Disney once looked at building a park in New England. Perhaps they should revisit the idea of a 3rd Kingdom inside the United States, or build a 5th park in Orlando.

As for myself, my last trip I payed in the neighborhood of $5000 for a 5 day trip in October. The parks were so crowded it was elbow room only much of the time, and the weather was hot. Even my grandchildren admitted that they did not enjoy the trip. When a child tells me they don't want to go back to Orlando I have to listen to them. So in essence unless Disney does something drastic, my last trip....."was my last trip".

Disneyhead'71

Face it folks, we all knew it was a matter of time before everyone else caught on to our tricks of when to go and when not to go to WDW. My preferred time was the 1st two weeks of December. But,between the Brazilians love for Disney World and Europeans disgust of Disney Paris, everyone is flocking to Orlando. Those days of low attendance have vanished.

I live on the Gulf Coast which is approximately a 7-8 hour drive to WDW. Many folks here from Alabama to Texas are avid Disney Freaks, and we all have the antenna toppers to prove it. But much of the Disney talk among us lately has been mostly negative. The consensus is that Disney has not expanded enough to handle the crowds. The planned up grades to the parks (i.e. Star Wars and Pixar) is too little and still will not ease the situation. A lot of the talk has turned into how folks are fed up with Disney and going there is a waste of money. I'm reading much of the same about Disneyland.

I'm posting this here because I know that a lot of you who visit this Forum, earn your livelihood through Disney in some way or another. If we here on the Gulf Coast stop going, how much longer will it be before the good folks from New England and the Heartland get fed up as well. Disney once looked at building a park in New England. Perhaps they should revisit the idea of a 3rd Kingdom inside the United States, or build a 5th park in Orlando.

As for myself, my last trip I payed in the neighborhood of $5000 for a 5 day trip in October. The parks were so crowded it was elbow room only much of the time, and the weather was hot. Even my grandchildren admitted that they did not enjoy the trip. When a child tells me they don't want to go back to Orlando I have to listen to them. So in essence unless Disney does something drastic, my last trip....."was my last trip".
I recently purchased my first AP since 2010, and have been shocked at how crowded the parks are now. It makes for a miserable theme park experience.

I think it may be the way people tour the parks now, as opposed to actually more people. The walkways are choked full of people wondering aimlessly waiting for their next FP+.

Tom Morrow

Yeah, it really stinks. There are no light crowd periods anymore. You are lucky to get a day or two of light crowds here and there.. Instead the parks are always packed. Magic Kingdom this last Saturday could have been Christmas week for how packed it was.

The days of just going and doing whatever you want and enjoying yourself are long gone. It's not even the same place it was 10 years ago. That said, I still find ways to squeeze out magical moments of what is still there.

Gshrout

Original Poster
Yeah, it really stinks. There are no light crowd periods anymore. You are lucky to get a day or two of light crowds here and there.. Instead the parks are always packed. Magic Kingdom this last Saturday could have been Christmas week for how packed it was.

The days of just going and doing whatever you want and enjoying yourself are long gone. It's not even the same place it was 10 years ago. That said, I still find ways to squeeze out magical moments of what is still there.

I envy you (Tom Morrow) in that you can still see the Silver Lining somewhere. For me, it's all been tarnished.

Gshrout

Original Poster
I recently purchased my first AP since 2010, and have been shocked at how crowded the parks are now. It makes for a miserable theme park experience.

I think it may be the way people tour the parks now, as opposed to actually more people. The walkways are choked full of people wondering aimlessly waiting for their next FP+.

That's an aspect I didn't think about, and now that you mentioned it, that makes sense of why we struggled to get through the parks. Almost as if they had no place to go. Are these locals that are doing this?

Abstergo

We are pass holders this year and have tried to enjoy the time and trips we have had. The crowds are the largest I have ever seen. wall to wall people every time we have gone. We usually get there early and do everything we can and then leave once everything hits 60 min wait or longer. We just try to enjoy every minute we get at the parks. Next year will most likely just do the 4 day Florida resident ticket.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Glad you still find some magical moments, as do I. Yet, my style of touring isn't much different from years ago. I don't schedule anything like FP for attractions (going solo, I often use the single rider lines on some of the more popular rides). Basically, I just roam the parks, and randomly select a ride, or go see a show. I visit once a year for 4--5 days, and somehow manage to take in quite a lot, without any reservations.

However, the prices are high, and the increased crowds are a turn-off. I agree with @Gshrout , that a 5th park would certainly help to spread out the crowds, but I doubt a 5th park would ever be built at WDW.

In a more positive light, I'm pleased to read that various plans are in the works for the existing parks. In particular, fingers crossed for some much-needed TLC for Future World. Although some updates may not be as exciting as some from the past, I'm still looking forward to what's ahead, as long as anything new complements the theme of F.W.

Disneyhead'71

That's an aspect I didn't think about, and now that you mentioned it, that makes sense of why we struggled to get through the parks. Almost as if they had no place to go. Are these locals that are doing this?
It's everybody. With 3 fp+ spaced out through the day, I have found I have a lot of time with nothing too do. I can only eat so much, and look at the same merch in the shops. So me and a bazillion other folks are doing the "Disney Shuffle" for 90 mins until my EE FP+.

Strollers and Scooters
And double wide people,
Yeah, yeah, yeah,
We're all doing the "Disney Shuffle".

Gshrout

Original Poster
I'm sorry :(

Sweet thought, but why are you sorry? I have many fond memories of trips years past that will last me a life time. It's my grand children who will never experience the Magic with the quality that their parents were able too. Please don't let me discourage you from visiting.

Gshrout

Original Poster
They should consider blackout days for all pass holders levels and compensate by having a few pass holder only days.
Have to agree with POLY LOVER on this one. Offering Florida residents special prices helps contribute to the crowding. Problem is folks plan vacations sometimes a year in advance. Imagine the surprise if your last day in Florida is blacked out for locals only. I suggest they do away with the annual pass all together.

Gshrout

Original Poster
It's everybody. With 3 fp+ spaced out through the day, I have found I have a lot of time with nothing too do. I can only eat so much, and look at the same merch in the shops. So me and a bazillion other folks are doing the "Disney Shuffle" for 90 mins until my EE FP+.

Strollers and Scooters
And double wide people,
Yeah, yeah, yeah,
We're all doing the "Disney Shuffle".
Disneyhead 71, LOL nice quote...

Tom Morrow

I envy you (Tom Morrow) in that you can still see the Silver Lining somewhere. For me, it's all been tarnished.
I do wonder what the average perception of the place is these days for those who have no previous memories or attachment to it. For me, nostalgia and my past experiences, along with hoping to share those experiences with new people, makes the parks fun enough for me. But without having been here as a child in the 90's, or frequently in the 00's before the constant massive crowds and pre-planning, what would I think of it?

Between massive crowds, endless strollers and ECVs, long waits for everything in which lines inch along due to Fastpass+, Fastpass+ that is difficult to get anything decent for if you don't do it in advance... the demographic shifting toward a more childish approach (in most cases) instead of being "for everyone"... I can totally see why the whole experience is off-putting without having experienced it either as a kid or in the better days.

Gshrout

Original Poster
I do wonder what the average perception of the place is these days for those who have no previous memories or attachment to it. For me, nostalgia and my past experiences, along with hoping to share those experiences with new people, makes the parks fun enough for me. But without having been here as a child in the 90's, or frequently in the 00's before the constant massive crowds and pre-planning, what would I think of it?

Between massive crowds, endless strollers and ECVs, long waits for everything in which lines inch along due to Fastpass+, Fastpass+ that is difficult to get anything decent for if you don't do it in advance... the demographic shifting toward a more childish approach (in most cases) instead of being "for everyone"... I can totally see why the whole experience is off-putting without having experienced it either as a kid or in the better days.
TOM MORROW, very well put. I get the sense that you and I were there at the same times years ago. Too bad our families never met, we could've had some laughs together on the TTA.

Gshrout

Original Poster
Yes they are. And to the op's point, I am also shocked at home slammed the parks have been this year. Quite the contrast from just last year, which in my opionion, when the parks all felt like ghost towns. I've spent my off days now enjoying other Orlando offerings to compensate

AJH, curious if Universal and the other parks are experiencing the same situation of over crowding. My oldest daughter has been hounding me to go to "Harry Potter's". It's been decades since I visited Universal, sorry I was never really interested. Maybe now would be a time to see all that.

IanDLBZF

AJH, curious if Universal and the other parks are experiencing the same situation of over crowding. My oldest daughter has been hounding me to go to "Harry Potter's". It's been decades since I visited Universal, sorry I was never really interested. Maybe now would be a time to see all that.
I've heard over on the DIS that Universal has been just as busy as Disney has been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom