'The Little Mermaid' attraction for WDW?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If Disney ever makes a $100m Omnimover, I`ll gladly eat my retro hat :D

Personally I`d prefer the suspended version, possibly using the DLP (updated) Peter Pan ride system. Or a hybrid; a suspended Omni! That`d be a first (Horizons wasn`t a true Omni)

Either way, if this is a return to the true Disney Darkride, even in small doses, I`d be happier than I was on the 1st. Almost.

LongtimeReader

If Disney ever makes a $100m Omnimover, I`ll gladly eat my retro hat :D

Personally I`d prefer the suspended version, possibly using the DLP (updated) Peter Pan ride system. Or a hybrid; a suspended Omni! That`d be a first (Horizons wasn`t a true Omni)

Either way, if this is a return to the true Disney Darkride, even in small doses, I`d be happier than I was on the 1st. Almost.

I didn't know that. What was Horizons' system then? And thus what exactly is the definition of Omnimover? Is SSE a "true" omnimover? Could I ask ANY more questions? :zipit:

rbrower

budget of test track: 130 million dollars
The Cars attraction would probably have to cost more due to the fact that it would have to have more scenery. A lot of Test Track is in the dark. Also, I'm not sure if this is true and I'm just taking a guess, but since this is a more updated version of the technology, it might possibly be more costly than before.:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don`t forget, the budget for Test Track also included removing World Of Motions show scenes and props, total removal and replacemnet of infrastructure and a lot of major civil engineering. And fixing the problems too!

The said definition of a true Omnimover seems to be a continuously moving ride vehicle on a fixed path which can a) direct the riders view as scripted, and b) prevent the rider seeing what he shouldn`t, according to the script. By this definition, only ATIS, the Haunted Mansions and If You Had Wings are/were true Omnis. However, that`s a little limited, so popular concensus includes SSE, Horizons, WoM, the Imaginations, SeaCabs, Seas with Nemo etc.

Horizons was a suspended continuous train of vehicles on a fixed path. The only movement the cars made off-axis (that is not produced by a curve in the track for example) was the choose your tomorrow finale, where they tilted backwards for the launch. SSE and WoM had limited off axis movement. JII had full off axis (the troublesome Flight to Imagination) and has continued, though achieved in a diifferent way, through versions 2 and 3.

Anyhow, back OT.

Lee

Adventurer
Wrong Lee. I know for a fact that at this point in time The Little Mermaid ride's budget is $100 million. That may change later but right now thats where it stands and it will be of E-ticket quality. The fact that they keep calling it a "Major attraction" is no hype and no bs.

Major attraction? Sure. The art looks fantastic.
But, from people I have talked to, the ride itself would not cost anywhere very near $100mil.
Perhaps that figure includes the removal of Golden Dreams and the rebuilding of that whole area.

Does look pretty....
TLMshowbuild.png

Blackie Pueblo

$100 million or not LM is a ride way over due. With the success of the film and the importance in the Disney animated film history, it should have been treated with more respect and honor than it currently is. A GREAT ride should have been done long ago.

With that being said... will it have anything to do with the great straight to video sequel? :lol:

""When we consider a new project, we really study it-not just the surface idea but everything about it."
---Walter Elias Disney

Enigma

Account Suspended
Major attraction? Sure. The art looks fantastic.
But, from people I have talked to, the ride itself would not cost anywhere very near $100mil.
Perhaps that figure includes the removal of Golden Dreams and the rebuilding of that whole area.

Does look pretty....
TLMshowbuild.png

I think the reason the budget is so high is because it most likely use real audio animatronic figures probably of an advanced nature. Also if you would like to see more concept art for the ride including the ride layout and some show scene concepts check out the thread on Micechat I think its around page 15 where theres tons of concept art for each and every project.

Concerning Radiator Springs Racer...the ride is currently budgeted at $200 million and will be a true e-ticket like the kind me and others have been complaining Disney doesn't make anymore (like Splash Mountain, Indy, Star Tours, haunted mansion, etc.). In one of the scenes a full size AA mater will be driving backwards talking to you as you keep on driving foward. It's going to be really cool. John Lasseter and Bob Weiss are going to bring back the amazing stuff that Disney used to be known for.

michael92

hey! i like taco bell!:D
concerning the little mermaid ride, i think if it used advanced AAs like the jack sparrow in POtC, and all the effects used to make people think theyre "underwater", plus the cool theming, you could end up with a 100 mil. budget
and id love to know more details about the cars eticket :)hammer:)

Lee

Adventurer
I think the reason the budget is so high is because it most likely use real audio animatronic figures probably of an advanced nature. Also if you would like to see more concept art for the ride including the ride layout and some show scene concepts check out the thread on Micechat I think its around page 15 where theres tons of concept art for each and every project.

Yeah, I've seen the layout and scenes. They look good.
As described to me, the figures in the ride wouldn't be full-on A100 AAs. Good ones, but not THAT good.

Unless someone gives me something solid to convince me that it is more than a really good omnimover dark ride, that is how I'm looking at it. Same with the budget. Until someone can actually back up the $100mil figure...I ain't buying it. Nothing I've heard leads me to believe that, unless as I said, that includes the demo of Golden Dreams and the site work associated with getting the pad ready. Then maybe.

Cars Land? $200mil is not crazy there, but would also include a lot of infrastructure and site work.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
$100m, let`s see;

Clearance /prep for new attraction
R&D (how much or little depends on several variables)
Physical construction and engineering
Ride system - is `just` an Omnimover? The art says yes, but perhaps it`s a differant variant. Think JIIWF but designed like it from the start perhaps.
AAs. Perhaps a few A-100s (what are they now? 1.2mil? 1.5mil?) and who knows how many lesser versions
Lighting design and installation - surely critical in an `underwater` attraction
Audio design and installation. Score recording. Voice talent. Audio system - IR? Soundtracker? Wireless?
Scene and set design and installation. How big? How detailed?
And visual effects?
Preshow - most of the above
Ancillary areas; load, unload, queue, shop, backstage areas, HVAC, power supply etc.

All of a sudden $100m dosn`t sound too much. Not if this *fingers crossed* is a return to the Disney dark ride of yesterday. Not Peter Pan - more the HM, Horizons etc... how much was Splash Mountain? $80mil? And that was 20 years ago.

It`s just a hopeful guess that the figure is right and this is what it`d cost. Everest is just a coster, but look what it cost and the result. Perhaps we are too used to the low budgets of mediocre attractions, budget-cut rides and new attractions shoehorned into existing locations. Perhaps had the direction of 12-15 years ago continued then this figure would have been the norm for most new attractions, not the exception.

Just a thought.

Kuhio

It makes sense to have a similar attaction, not a direct clone at MK. I love the variations of the dark rides between MK and DL. It save the company money as not much is changed, but enough that it feels different.

I can't stand clones -- I think they add a regressive element to the parks. None of the "same theme" attractions built in the future should ever be identical clones of each other -- WDI should always be adding unique elements to keep each park's version of a particular attraction fresh and compelling, even to people who have experienced the "same ride" at another park.

Kuhio

In several new reports that have stated that the Little Mermaid attraction will be the "most advanced and expensive Disney dark ride" projected budget of over 100 million dollars.

I thought TDL's Pooh attraction ("Pooh's Hunny Hunt") had a budget of over $130 million USD.

Speaking of which... when are we going to see the "trackless" technology in that ride used in a U.S. Disney park attraction? It's been over 7 years since PHH opened, but with the exception of Aquatopia at TDS, the technology (which continues to be a big hit in TDL and, more important, is genuinely a lot of fun) has yet to be adapted and put to use elsewhere...

TP2000

The 100 Million Dollar figure fascinates me. Why spend so much on a ride from a 20 year old movie? Sure, DCA needs more good rides, and it is certainly getting them with the massive expansion coming in the next four years.

But 100 Million for a kiddy ride based on a 20 year old movie? (22 years old by the time the ride opens in 2011).

The only thing I can think is that maybe WDI is going to use the DCA version of this snazzy new ride to sell to other parks around the world? I mean face it, there isn't a Disney theme park property on the globe that couldn't easily accept a Little Mermaid themed attraction. If anything, Disney's California Adventure is one of the least logical parks to get a Little Mermaid ride. Any of the Magic Kingdoms could slot this into their Fantasyland with no problem. DisneySea, perfect fit. Animal Kingdom or one of the Studios Parks? Sure, no problem. About the only park less obvious than DCA for a Little Mermaid ride would be Epcot.

Not that I'm complaining. The current round of plans and announcements for DCA's immediate future has me giddy with excitement. And that's not even the end of it. There are more rides and announcements coming for DCA over the next several months. And then there's the plans to revamp Disneyland's Tomorrowland, expand Anaheim's Downtown Disney, add new Disney hotels at GardenWalk, etc., etc.

Awesome times ahead for Anaheim! The future hasn't looked this bright for Anaheim since Walt Disney was alive! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom