Trip Report the last time (taylor's version)

Hi all! Guess who just came back from Disney World? Tis I! After over a year away, it was a most interesting trip. My grandma and I planned this back in June after I found out that I got into grad school (again... I'm a sucker for punishment) so it was meant to be a celebratory trip for that and also my grandma would be turning 70 shortly before it! And then the end of September rolled around and I (in Fort Myers) got to experience the delights of Hurricane Ian. I work in a first response field so it was a very busy, awful couple of weeks. After that I decided... If we were doing this trip (which was all that was keeping me going post-hurricane for a good bit), we were going to give Bob Chapek everything he wanted. That's right, we were going to cough up for Genie+. I'm a hypocrite, I know. Does it help if I say that I'm moving to West Virginia and won't get back to Orlando until after the program is over? No? I thought as much... But still... I spent A LOT OF MONEY on this trip LOL... and most of it wasn't even at Disney... Because, you see... While we were going to be in the World, Taylor Swift was going to have a presale for her tour... And I, a Swiftie to the max, knew that I would be going... come h-e-double-hockey-sticks or high water... Did I manage to get tickets? Did Grandma and I conquer our previous records regarding attraction count and step count? Stick around to find out....

We begin with DAY ONE, November 14th. Our travels would take us from Magic Kingdom to Epcot, as MK was closing early that evening for the Christmas Party (no expense spared, I say, whilst cringing away from the prices for the Christmas Party... So we didn't do that). I awoke at 6am, pulled up MDE, and....

IMG_1189.PNG

IMG_0945.JPG

But, I shelled out $36.22 (Grandma and I decided we would trade off each day) and got ready for the day. We had an hour and a half drive to get to WDW from my grandparents' house (which I had traveled to on Friday), so we got in the car around 6:45 and hit the road. It went well until we were about 30 minutes into the I-4 stretch... and then we hit solid red traffic. Stand still. Man, I had to pee. I kept looking down at my phone and seeing that we only had 15 miles left, 14, 13... Then 13 for an eternity... and then...
IMG_1192.PNG

I decided to go a longer back way, because at least we would be moving. I'd rather be moving continuously for a longer stretch of time than sitting in stand still traffic. A brief stop was made at 7/11 to pee (huzzah), and then we continued on our strange, back way route to Disney property.

Meanwhile I received this
IMG_1193.PNG

Which was a pleasant surprise! We were looking forward to dumping our belongings in the room, grabbing a bus to MK, and getting started with the day. And just like that...

IMG_1194.jpg

We were pulling in! Huzzah!
IMG_1195.jpg

This is where I decided to park *crowd oohs and ahhhs*. We took a very bizarre route to our room because we couldn't find the elevator, but eventually we were walking inside and were greeted by...
IMG_1196.jpg

Welcome, [REDACTED] & [REDACTED]!

A room tour, you ask? No, I shan't do it. I will instead show you things that I noticed.

IMG_1198.jpg

A crooked light fixture.
IMG_1202.jpg

Some scum.
IMG_1203.jpg

The shower got my seal of approval. With the room inspected and no egregious disturbances noted, we were ready to head to MK.

tonystark

Original Poster
I was with you on this, even before you mentioned the kids. I feel like it would be really weird for a football player to wear his own jersey in a place that public. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah that kind of seems like weirdo behavior... The last thing you'd want to do is attract attention to yourself when you're somewhere with your kids having a nice time...
Loving your report, except for the COVID! Hope you feel better soon!

But hey, you convinced me that I am more than likely to get COVID on our trip, so I am now packing masks and bought some immunity boosters! So if I don’t get it - I give you credit!
Probably for the best! I think if I could do it all again, I would have done my best to wear a mask on indoor rides and on transportation. I guess I've gotten so used to life being "normal" I didn't stop to consider the fact that Disney is densely populated compared to my biweekly visits to Target and daily visits to work. It's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security. But the good news is that my flu shot protected me from the flu, because if I had the flu and COVID at the same time I don't think I'd be in fit shape to open my computer let alone post a trip report lol. I hope you have a fun trip and emerge virus-free!

tonystark

Original Poster
At this point in the trip, we reach a brief Taylor Swift interlude. I checked my email as we were walking out of LTT and saw...
IMG_1360.PNG

For those not in the loop about the clustercuss that was Taylor Swift's tour sale, back in late October/early November, everyone had to sign up on Ticketmaster to be deemed a "verified fan". Verified fans would be randomly selected for presale codes that would allow them to purchase tickets in the presale. I signed up about 20 minutes after this was announced, because I happened to be scrolling on my phone before work and saw on Facebook an event for a Taylor concert in Tampa. I was like 🤨 and then quickly followed the link and signed up. Some people couldn't sign up for hours due to traffic on the site, so I was quite lucky in that regard. And it appeared that I would be quite lucky here. Since signing up, Taylor's team "boosted" people's place in line depending on if they purchased anything (be it merch or digital singles) in the interim. Given that the merchandise for Midnights was wretchedly ugly and I didn't buy any singles, my spot in line was not boosted... We'll come to find out together that being boosted seemed to mean not a single thing...

This news was excellent, however, because I was worried that I wasn't going to be selected for a presale code. Supposedly, those selected would receive their codes in a text message that evening. Grinning ear to ear, texting my friends to learn of their fate, and following my grandma, I was guided to our next attraction.
IMG_1361.jpeg

ATTRACTION #8 was going to be the Wiiiildest Ride in the Wildernessss!
IMG_1362.jpeg

My seat awaited me. Didn't pull the lap bar all the way down and my grandma was literally soaring lol. She said it was the most fun she'd had on that ride in years. Not that I endorse flagrantly disregarding safety rules, twas merely a brief lapse in attention that led to a bit of space between lap and bar...
IMG_1364.jpeg

Oh My God Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

ATTRACTION #9. You'll forgive me if I went a little overboard on taking photographs, won't you? It had been so long...
IMG_1365.jpeg

everything love GIF

IMG_1370.jpeg

These wires were distracting. I am not supposed to see this!!
200.gif

IMG_1372.jpeg

James Sawyer Reaction GIF

IMG_1375.jpeg

For all of my whining and complaining about the current state of WDW, this ride makes it all worth it (in the moment, that is...). It just can't be beat.
IMG_1381.jpeg

We got stopped here so here's an attempt at dark mode/night mode. Not bad.
IMG_1383.jpeg

We also got stopped here.

tonystark

Original Poster
Does anyone have the time?
IMG_1386.jpeg

Thank you.
IMG_1391.jpeg

Every time we get to this part, I passively think about the guy that stole costumes from this scene and tried to sell them on the internet.
IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Stopped here for a moment. Always crossing my fingers that I'll have to be evacuated off this ride (perfectly normal thing to wish for, huh...)
IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

(My favorite ghost)
IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

50 cent laughing GIF

IMG_1410.jpeg

Thank you for indulging meeeee

tonystark

Original Poster
On our way out...
IMG_1411.jpeg

Just kidding, photoshoot time!!!
IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

One last ride at MK for the night. I took this becauseI have no recollection of the roof of the Mad Tea Party or whatever the name is looking like that!!! I feel like it was teal.
IMG_1416.jpeg

As close to a character interaction as I get.
IMG_1417.jpeg

ATTRACTION #10
IMG_1418.jpeg

My grandpa knew what ride we were on now.
IMG_1419.jpeg

Forbidden ball pit!!!
IMG_1421.jpeg

There's a difference between these two... I just don't know what it is because I'm afraid that I'm going to be decapitated or dismembered every time I ride, so I'm distracted....
IMG_1425.jpeg

Apologies to this lady's eyes (caught her between blinks I believe), she was not the subject of my photo lol, it was the length of the PM line. We agreed it was time to head to Epcot.
IMG_1426.jpeg

I especially like the placement of the pillar in this photo. My photographic eye astounds me sometimes. Anyways, Christmas decorations.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_1427.jpeg

Will Ferrell Dancing GIF

IMG_1428.jpeg

Goodbye Magic Kingdom, but we would be back in a few days for a much longer stretch of time. And Epcot at night awaited. All WDW parks are prettier at night.
IMG_1429.jpeg

Leaving at 5:16 pm. Not even 6pm!! Not even a straggler being kicked out from the party!!
IMG_1430.jpeg

I'm always going to take the resort monorail. I don't care that they run the trains less frequently, they're less busy and it's a more relaxing trip imo.
IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

Soon enough, we boarded our monorail and were on our way to the TTC.
IMG_1436.jpeg

Look at them all, streaming in...
IMG_1437.jpeg

I assume these are the updated rooms given the Incredibles motifs.
IMG_1438.jpeg

A water break was necessary at the TTC, I was parched. Perhaps I caught COVID from this machine.
IMG_1439.jpeg

A quick transfer but we got a seat! One place left to go.... The place of Walls.

tonystark

Original Poster
Prepare for me to be enthralled by the little LED bulb lights.
IMG_1441.jpeg

Oh my godddd look at it
dr seuss flower GIF

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1446.jpeg

Alright, I needed to see someone. It was imperative.
IMG_1447.jpeg

Getting closer... A tiny bit of a line that allowed me to evaluate my smizing skills. I'm sparing you guys from like 8 pictures in which I'm attempting to smize.
IMG_1448.jpeg

No snacks in line but I did look for some for you guys. I know you get hungry.
IMG_1456.jpeg

Almost time for ATTRACTION #11.
IMG_1457.jpeg

The photo screen was horrifically busted. Like, it should have been turned off for the sake of "show", busted. I wonder if someone threw something at it.
IMG_1458.jpeg

OOBA DAY. OOBA DAY!!!!!
IMG_1460.jpeg

Peace Out Reaction GIF

IMG_1461.jpeg

Pah-pie-russ. A sort of paper.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_1463.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg

I feel like I should go up there and offer my assistance. I mean, you guys have seen my skill when it comes to photography. Could you imagine it applied to painting? He's been up there for a while, that's all I'm saying.
IMG_1467.jpeg

This guy was making me laugh because his hand was just sort of jerking and twitching a couple of inches above the notepad.
IMG_1468.jpeg

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

IMG_1469.jpeg

BOOTS
IMG_1470.jpeg

BOOTS!!!!!
IMG_1472.jpeg

Episode 15 Hello GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

IMG_1473.jpeg

Pointed out the space station thing to my grandma and she didn't quite make it out. Don't worry, she'd see it next time. Because there was going to be a next time. And a time after that...
IMG_1477.jpeg

So deep into maximum overdrive that my camera captured the speed we were going.
IMG_1478.jpeg

No... Surely we weren't going to use a lightning lane on Living with the Land? Or, as a woman behind us said, "Living From the Land"? (I found this little slip of the tongue to be kind of telling and the entire point of the ride lol).

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_1479.jpeg

Of COURSE we were going to use lightning lane for Living with the Land! It's not like we had much choice at this point
IMG_1480.jpeg

They should add a fun little inspiring quote about Genie+ to this wall.
IMG_1481.jpeg

When do you think these telephones were last used? A truly forbidden corner of the Land pavilion.
IMG_1483.jpeg

Time for ATTRACTION #12... Watch your step so you don't slip on that assorted garbage on the floor.
IMG_1485.jpeg

This scene was very... still.
IMG_1486.jpeg

Eric Andre GIF

IMG_1487.jpeg

Relax Self Care GIF by Razer

IMG_1491.jpeg

My mind was RACING as to what these little disks were. I was like could they be MOTION SENSORS??? for the lunatics that just can't help themselves?? They were not, in fact, motion sensors. But I would not learn the answer tonight.
IMG_1492.jpeg

ew shiver GIF by Chicks on the Right

IMG_1495.jpeg

fox tv GIF by Bob's Burgers

Not what I thought of when my eyes were assaulted with the acronym NFT unsuspecting on Living with the Land.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_1496.jpeg

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

IMG_1497.jpeg

This was so BRIGHT
The Office Christmas Reaction GIF

IMG_1499.jpeg

POTATO WOMAN IT HAD BEEN SO LONG.
I Love You GIF by Taylor Swift

IMG_1500.jpeg

Water break. At this point, I was suffering lol. My right knee was killing me. I have a tendency to hyperextend my knees that has been bothering me when I exercise and omg... Guys I was LIMPING around Epcot at this point. But I would not give in. I would drink water and keep going. And take many ibuprofen that evening upon return to the hotel room.
IMG_1501.jpeg

ATTRACTION #13 behind someone who got the message about iridescent sparkling things for the 50th.
IMG_1502.jpeg

Cartoon Jellyfish GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

No, we didn't teleport. We were just moving in maximum overdrive and got to Mexico in the blink of an eye.
IMG_1509.jpeg

Ah, but of course, our last ride of the night...
IMG_1510.jpeg

ATTRACTION #14.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_1511.jpeg

Horse Racing Hello GIF by 1 Play Sports

Guys, I hear that there's...
IMG_1513.jpeg

A FIESTA HOY!!! I can't wait to attend
IMG_1515.jpeg

One day I shall just...
Stealing Mike D GIF by Beastie Boys

IMG_1517.jpeg

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Wonder if these guys ever get tired of performing. I mean, Donald did, for a time...

After disembarking, we briefly discussed food. I wasn't hungry, grandma wasn't hungry, but it was agreed that we ought to eat something small or else we would wake very hungry. And who wants to do that? Anyways, we went to the World Showcase and wandered around, since it was still the Food and Wine Festival. And man, it was BUSY. Thronged with people. Wasn't loving it. Limped to Greece, in the end.
IMG_1518.jpeg

IMG_1519.jpeg

A gyro. $6.50 I believe. And not bad. Pretty much exactly what we were looking for, something small. Meanwhile someone named Sugar Ray was performing at the America pavilion. I thought Sugar Ray was a boxer. Apparently, there is a Sugar Ray who is a boxer, but that was not who was performing. Sugar Ray is a... band. I guess!
IMG_1520.jpeg

On our way out.
IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

IMG_1523.jpeg

A bus awaited us because we were leaving about 30 minutes before the fireworks, I believe. I was looking forward to crawling into bed and getting a good night's sleep in anticipation of the Taylor Swift presale the following day, as I had received my text from Ticketmaster with my code...
How many steps did we do? 22,366.

How many steps have I done in the past week with COVID? Probably under 1000 lol.
Day One Complete!

Spash007

Meanwhile someone named Sugar Ray was performing at the America pavilion. I thought Sugar Ray was a boxer. Apparently, there is a Sugar Ray who is a boxer, but that was not who was performing. Sugar Ray is a... band. I guess!
Old Woman Yes GIF

Ouch!

Granted, they weren’t that good, so if you weren’t listening to a lot of adult alternative type radio stations in the late 90s, you probably wouldn’t know them…

tonystark

Original Poster
Wowzer! What a day!
Yes, maximum overdrive stops for no reason 🤪
Late To The Party GIF by MOODMAN

Late but all caught up. Enjoying your report so much! I love your Grandma! You gals accomplished so much! Sorry you got Covid. Looking forward to the rest!
Interestingly enough, my grandma ended up getting COVID but recovered faster than I did lol
Old Woman Yes GIF

Ouch!

Granted, they weren’t that good, so if you weren’t listening to a lot of adult alternative type radio stations in the late 90s, you probably wouldn’t know them…
Wallace Shawn Reaction GIF by CBS

I truly had never heard of them before... Imagine my disappointment when it was not Sugar Ray Leonard performing on stage :( :(

tonystark

Original Poster
DAY 2!!!! NOVEMBER 15TH!!! An Epcot day, yes, but also... Taylor Swift pre-sale day...

The night before, my eyes bugged out of my skull when I saw a $1000 charge on my credit card from Disney Resorts. So it appeared that I would be going to the front desk in the morning to be like uhhhhh helloooooo I'm a 25 year old child in all of this you guys are supposed to be charging my grandma... I have brought her along here for proof...

First thing's first upon gaining consciousness, I wanted to get my grandma a boarding group for Guardians. I felt bad that I was abandoning her for however long it took for Taylor Swift (jk, I promised her that if the queue wait was going to be longer than an hour I would abandon the hotel and bring my phone, hoping for the best on cellular data). But still. She needed something to do in my absence.

IMG_1538.PNG

I have fast fingers. I probably wouldn't have ridden this on my own lol and maybe not even with my grandma, but I was sending a 70 year old off to her doom. First, breakfast. Well, really, first is getting that $1000 OFF OF MY CREDIT CARDDDDD don't they know I have an important purchase to make.
IMG_1540.PNG

Waiting for my grandma to get ready, I stared intently at this map and tried to come up with a strategy. I wanted 109, 110, or 111. Across from that diamond stage where I think Taylor will be spending a lot of her time. But I was also cognizant of the fact that all of this planning would be for nothing because when the time came, I would be at the mercy at Ticketmaster, and Ticketmaster alone.
IMG_1541.PNG

Tried to book a lightning lane for later in the morning, assuming I'd be at Epcot by then, and the app did this.
Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

IMG_1542.PNG

Refreshing helped and I managed to get this. I figured I could probably handle Ratatouille if I couldn't handle Guardians lol.
IMG_1543.jpeg

Time for a quick walk to the tower where that $1000 charge was quickly rectified. Turns out, whoever online checks in gets charged for the rest of the room, even if a different card paid the initial deposit. Seemed stupid. But, lesson learned.
IMG_1545.jpeg

Walt watches all.
IMG_1546.jpeg

My 14$ breakfast. The chocolate croissant wasn't heated up (I probably could have asked, but figured that's a natural state of all chocolate croissants). So I heated it up in the microwave in the food court. The smoothie was not good. Very artificially sweet. I was bummed. Grandma enjoyed her kid's scramble, though.
IMG_1547.jpeg

I particularly enjoyed these apple slices. They were fresh every time! And crisp!!!
IMG_1548.PNG

Oh, crap, grandma you have got to GO. I was not expecting it to be that soon. Quickly, I bustled her onto a bus to Epcot and returned to my room (disposing my smoothie on the way). As I waited for the waiting room for Taylor Swift to open up (yes, that's right, you had to get into a line to get into a line), I texted with many friends to discuss strategies. We were all wanting tickets for other shows, so couldn't help each other out. I also texted my mom one last time and made her give me a final answer as to whether she wanted me to buy her a ticket for the Pittsburgh show so that we could go together. She said yes, as long as it was $250 or under. I scoffed, reminding her of my budget of $300 base a ticket, which she thought was madness. The madness had not yet possessed me, but it would come 10 am...
IMG_1553.PNG

9:30 am, the waiting room opened. As you can see, we were NOT starting off strong 😌 everyone was wigging out, but I wasn't answering texts because I was so COMMITTED TO THE CAUSE. Grandma had texted me telling me that she had loved GOTG and that "you have GOT to ride this ride!!!!" (so technically she acquired attraction #15, but since we both did not experience it, we're not counting it). Next up, she was taking herself on a Skyliner ride, because for some reason she absolutely loves that and considers it an attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom