The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

bartholomr4

It seems we don't have a Disney+ thread yet? Either that or I could find it. Anyway looks like Hawkeye is getting a Disney+ Series.

I love to see all of these announcements of new movies and series. Its like someone took the lid off once the deal closed between Disney and Fox.

brodie999

I don’t get why there’s even a discussion really about Sony. Disney seem happy with their deal with SONY and in a few films time, the MCU may be happy enough to move on from the character.

As said, SONYs movie studio is a pile of crap. Don’t think they even have IP like James Bond anymore do they?
I agree. There's no reason why they'd turn down a merger with Sony. They want Spider-Man fully back, so they're gonna have to get him back the same way they did with the X-Men and FF when the Fox deal was made.

bartholomr4

I agree. There's no reason why they'd turn down a merger with Sony. They want Spider-Man fully back, so they're gonna have to get him back the same way they did with the X-Men and FF when the Fox deal was made.

Remember Disney owns the Spiderverse. Sony licenses it from Disney. No merger is required. Just an agreement (with a big check attached) is all that is needed... No regulators, no big waiting periods, internal lawyers can handle it, etc. While I am pretty sure Sony won’t want to let the licenses go, with the Success the last two Spider-Man movies (and a 3rd coming this summer) with the help of Kevin F and team, you might see another agreement which releases more rights to Disney Marvel, in lieu of help with their release schedule.

The dream scenario to me, is the Hedge fund forces a sale of assets, and Sony strikes a deal with Disney to quickly take back the Spider-Man rights, but I think this scenario is rated slim-to-none, on likelihood of happening....

As you and others have pointed out, they are a dumpster fire of a movie studio.....

Darkprime

The other option is Feige lets Sony produce MCU films in the form of the Venomverse and he helps them out. I believe Sony wanted Venom in the MCU but Feige turned them down. My one worry in that scenario is that Feige is already producing every other MCU film the last thing he needs is an entire slate from Sony thrown in the mix.

brodie999

Remember Disney owns the Spiderverse. Sony licenses it from Disney. No merger is required. Just an agreement (with a big check attached) is all that is needed... No regulators, no big waiting periods, internal lawyers can handle it, etc. While I am pretty sure Sony won’t want to let the licenses go, with the Success the last two Spider-Man movies (and a 3rd coming this summer) with the help of Kevin F and team, you might see another agreement which releases more rights to Disney Marvel, in lieu of help with their release schedule.

The dream scenario to me, is the Hedge fund forces a sale of assets, and Sony strikes a deal with Disney to quickly take back the Spider-Man rights, but I think this scenario is rated slim-to-none, on likelihood of happening....

As you and others have pointed out, they are a dumpster fire of a movie studio.....
Or alternately, Marvel strikes a deal with Sony first to regain the full Spider-Man rights by promising them they'll handle the Venomverse better than they could right now and offer them million of dollars to let Disney distribute the third MCU Spider-Man film.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry but this idea of Disney buying Sony is not gonna happen, at least anytime soon. Disney will be too busy integrating Fox for the next several years, they aren't thinking about buying another company. Also Disney/Marvel don't own the film rights to the Spiderverse, Sony does. Spider-Man is on loan of sorts to the MCU to make appearances, but that's it. They get no revenue from any solo Spider-Man film that Tom Holland is doing even if its set in the MCU. Sony has full film rights to Spider-Man and all his family of characters. And with Venom making $855M I don't see Sony in a hurry to get rid of any film rights to any member of that Spiderverse family anytime soon.

So unless its a fire sale I expect Sony to still be an independent film studio for at least the next 5 years.

* We've had long boring discussions about this over in the DCA Marvel Land thread *

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It seems we don't have a Disney+ thread yet? Either that or I could find it. Anyway looks like Hawkeye is getting a Disney+ Series.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Screen Rant's video on what Fox franchises should be rebooted (outside of X-Men):

Remakes/Reboots

FF - Yeah, of course. Duh.
Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters - I don't care at all. I guess?
X-Files - This was popular. I never watched it. Yes? I would put it on Hulu though
Planet of the Apes - NO. No reboot. A sequel trilogy by Matt Reeves (like he said he had ideas for) and Limited TV series? Yes please.
Aliens - Yes. Treat it like Terminator and make believe like all the crappy ones don't exist. TV show on Hulu could also be good.
Predator - Put it on ice for awhile and then do it like Aliens/Terminator.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Well, I guess that would be good? Both movies and shows? I never got into it but remember it was popular. Teens like this kinda crap so it could be good.
Wrong Turn - Yes. Very good idea. We are in a golden age of horror films. Cheap budget and huge potential. Do it.
Alvin and the Chipmunks - Never liked it. I guess?
Simpsons movie - Already supposed to be happening, not sure why they added it. No brainer IMO.
Home Alone - Careful here. Very careful. Fox already messed this up with some random Home Alone crap. Keeping it in the 90s might work. If they try to do it in this day and age would be tough (Phone line is out, okay let me just use my cell).
Die Hard - Yes. Reboot it and keep it in the vein of the old ones.
Casper - Why? They even mentioned that Fox may not own all the rights

I will add a couple from both Fox and Disney (a few being my personal wishlist):

Ice Age - Yes, eventually a reboot/remake/reimagine
The Hills Have Eyes - Similar to Wrong Turn above
28 Days Later - Same as above. Might have complicated rights. I would start with 28 Hours Later and work fom there (Days, Weeks, Months, Years, Decades). Possible TV show material as well
The Fly
Avatar TV series like SW and Marvel ones
Homeward Bound - Bite me. I loved this as a kid. No need for moving animal mouths stuff. Make it like the OG ones. Cheap budget.
Gone in 60 seconds - Give me this already.
Con Air - I liked it.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

So we know Disney and Turner amended the Star Wars contract. We also know that Turner wanted money + some program to replace Star Wars. I posted something a few days back on what Disney should buy, which included distribution for Star Wars The Clone Wars 2008 movie when they amended the contract.

Not saying I'm right (as we don't know the terms), but we know the contract was amended and now we know that Clone Wars will be on Disney+ at launch. I believe it's quite possible Disney purchased the distribution rights to the film from Warner, but we'll possibly know for sure in the future.

https://d23.com/complete-guide-disney-entertainment/

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Listening to this interview again reiterates how limited Disney is with Hulu until they have full ownership (including bundles that they really want to do). Reading between the lines it seems they are working on acquiring it fully as it would greatly benefit them and their plans.

Darkprime

If you watch the full 30min interview Iger is asked about the sale of the regional sports networks and implies well hear more at next months investor call.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wall St. just can't stop asking about the loss of licensing fees as if Disney didn't crunch the numbers.

If Wall St. had its way...

"Why can't you just keep doing the same thing?!"

<Disney drops plan for streaming, then, ten years later when Disney is left behind...>

"Why didn't you change your economic model when you had the chance?"

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Michael Nathasson echoes what Iger is alluding to. It makes sense for them to try to build up Hulu on someone else's dime as long as possible, but it makes sense for them to acquire it fully and it makes sense for Comcast and ATT to sell to Disney.

This implies Wall Street will be more than okay with Disney spending the capital.

Iger confirms that content will still be available on DVDs.

Expected. He's been saying for awhile, "if it ain't broken don't fix it". That model works out well for them, they will have a window between theatrical release and streaming similar to what they have today. During that time they'll sell on BR, VOD, etc. They will also still license out content to TV channels (might be to themselves). They will monetize however way they can.

Surprising too that they didn't really talk about where a lot of the FOX IP is going. I can only assume that the adult stuff will go to Hulu if the likes of Sound of music etc are going to Disney+

I wanna know if old X-Men and Fantastic Four (including the best Super Hero cartoon series ever) is going to go under Marvel in Disney+. If so, they would have to separate between canon MCU and "Legacy Marvel" content. I would prefer it this way. Otherwise, where would it go (not counting R rated stuff, of course).

Cesar R M

It suffered a huge hack nearly five years ago that exposed all of their employees' (and many celebs') personal info, trade secrets, embarrassing emails and unreleased movies.
Wait, their Studios got hacked too? I remember their Playstation system got hacked as well and a ton of information of clients was exposed completely.

bartholomr4

Surprising too that they didn't really talk about where a lot of the FOX IP is going. I can only assume that the adult stuff will go to Hulu if the likes of Sound of music etc are going to Disney+

This article from the Harvard Business Review is interesting.... I suspect the same formula applied to Marvel, Pixar and Lucas will be applied to 21CF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom