The Imagineer's Workshop

Disney Dad 3000

This might be anecdotal but -- when trying to make intro videos or other videos with copyrighted Disney attraction music/audio, like most of the Sorcerer's Apprentice videos, I have found that if you set the video to public on YouTube, there's a greater chance it gets muted by a copyright.

However, if you keep the video unlisted, I have not had a problem. For instance I have the WDW Album as an mp3, and I used a few of the songs. The copyright song still shows up in the video stats area, but it doesn't affect the ability to still play it. And everyone can still view it in the forum with the video link which is really the whole point of 99% of the videos made for these comps and projects. Just thought I'd drop that in here!

Good tip. I know when I did my GMR awards show, it lasted all of a day with all the Oscar's clips, songs etc. I had no issues with Vimeo though.

spacemt354

Chili's
Free Screen Recording Tools
How To Create Your Own Soarin'

With the emphasis on trying to step out and do new things in Sorcerer's Apprentice projects...it is only fitting that the hosts strive to do the same thing as well!

For Stanza III I thought it would be fun to try and recreate Soarin' Over California -- but instead 'Soarin' Over Possibilities of locations for the new DVC Resorts ...which is the challenge for Stanza III.

Using the Jerry Goldsmith original score as an mp3 -- I had a general idea in mind, to compile drone footage of different places around the world and splice it with the Soarin' music.

So I found a free screen recorder called ApowerREC, and recorded some scenes, and spent a few hours putting it all together and syncing it to the music.
https://www.apowersoft.com/record-all-screen

It's a trial run...but something that folks might find useful if they don't have access to paid recording software and want to try something simple but effective in my opinion to add a little extra Disney touch to projects.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Free Screen Recording Tools
How To Create Your Own Soarin'

With the emphasis on trying to step out and do new things in Sorcerer's Apprentice projects...it is only fitting that the hosts strive to do the same thing as well!

For Stanza III I thought it would be fun to try and recreate Soarin' Over California -- but instead 'Soarin' Over Possibilities of locations for the new DVC Resorts ...which is the challenge for Stanza III.

Using the Jerry Goldsmith original score as an mp3 -- I had a general idea in mind, to compile drone footage of different places around the world and splice it with the Soarin' music.

So I found a free screen recorder called ApowerREC, and recorded some scenes, and spent a few hours putting it all together and syncing it to the music.
https://www.apowersoft.com/record-all-screen

It's a trial run...but something that folks might find useful if they don't have access to paid recording software and want to try something simple but effective in my opinion to add a little extra Disney touch to projects.

This is really awesome! Both the video and the advice!

Outbound

Mapping with Outbound

With maps now at the forefront of OLS 2's Round Three, I've created a tutorial of my own. @spacemt354 had two great links to earlier in this thread - here and here - and I thought it would only be just to show how I make my maps.

Finished Product - Italy Pavillion

spacemt354

Chili's
Art On the Go
Quick and Easy Poster Design

Tools Needed
- Phone with an App Store (download Canva)
- 5-10 mins of your time

Step 1: App Store to download Canva (it's free) just add an old email/password because it'll ask you for that.
Screenshot_20200219-180904_Google Play Store.jpg

Step 2: If you want a pre-made template you can select from the different categories. This tool is most useful I think when designing a quick attraction poster, or pamphlet logo, a sign in the park, anything to catch the eye during a presentation rather than just typing out a title.
Screenshot_20200219-180928_Canva.jpg

Step 3: Design it, it's really simple to just click around and add the text you want once you pick a template or decide to design and save your own.

Step 4: I always just take a screenshot of the finished product, edit away the excess on the side, and then post to the forum -- like this
Screenshot_20200219-180851_Canva.jpg

Step 5: Browse around to find other templates for future posters or even collages, if you're using google images it can be a neat way of getting more images into one making your presentation look a bit neater.

And that's it! All in all my phone battery went from 12% to 11% now that I'm finishing typing, took no more than 10 mins total and it's a really easy way to add a little design to your projects fast!

Disney Dad 3000

Creating a 3D Toy Box
(or other 3d cubed images)

In the essence of sharing, and also so I don’t forget how I did this if I need it a year from now (mostly this), I found this cool site called Boxshot Online if you are looking to create 3D cube shaped products with images. For SAU 7 Stanza VIIII, I wanted to create a toy box, but the site also has options for CD covers, DVD covers, and book covers. Really you could do this for any 3D type image you want that has various images on it.

The site will do all the rendering for you with the hardest part being putting together your images for all the sides and getting the sizes/proportions down how you want them.

Note this would work with any jpeg images you can put together, whether they are digital, hand drawn, etc.

Step 1 – Box Front (also can be used for the back of box if needed)

The most important part of this is determining how large you want the box to be, so you will want to start with the front image. I would suggest trying one size with a base layout and not much work done to it so you can see if you need to enlarge or shrink the image before putting too much work in. Once you have got the size figured out, it is just a matter of your creation method (drawing, photoshop, paint.net, etc.). In this example, I used an 11” x 8” base for the front.

While this video does not show all the resizing, skewing and font work, it gives you an idea of organizing the box. Keep in mind you are working on a flat surface for your front of box. When you render the images together, it will handle all the perspective changes for you.

Step 2 – Box Top (also can be used for bottom of box if needed)

I would recommend working on the top of your box next. Depending on how fancy you are getting with the design, this can be useful in making the transition from front to top seamless. In my example, I did not get too crazy with it. This box only had a basic blue banner I wanted to continue to wrap around the top in keeping with some K’nex designs I had seen.

Again, here it is just a matter of sizing and how deep you want the box to be. For this example, I wanted it fairly small, so I took that base template for the front of the box and cropped it down to roughly 3”x11”. Doing this matches the length and scale of the front of your box/book, but also will make the transitions perfect.

Wonka Box Top Template.jpg

Wonka Box Top.jpg

Step 3 – Box Sides

In this example, I only needed one side, but if completing other remaining sides of the shape, you can simply copy this method. With the side of the box not going to have a great deal of visibility in my final product based on the angle I used, I did not spend a ton of time on this. This is entirely up to you and how many views of the product you are going to provide.

I used the inverse of the measurements for the top of the box and then simply put in a few images to create the side image for the box.

Wonka Box Side.jpg

Step 4 – Setting it all up

Now comes the easy part. Simply upload the images you have created in the appropriate drop down. In my example I only used the front, top and left side. As you upload the images, you will see the image update as well. Once you have got them uploaded you are almost done. BEFORE clicking the render button, place your mouse cursor on the object and you can rotate it in any direction to get the viewpoint you desire. Once the angle is where you want it (you'll see 2 different angles below), click RENDER.

Box Shot Upload Images.JPG

Box Shot Image Turned.JPG
Wonka K'nex Set.png
This takes about 30 seconds, and you will see the results of your work depending on which final angle you used. At this point, save the free image, and you are ready to go.

Box Shot Image Download.JPG

MonorailRed

Applebees
Environmental Art Lesson 1: Layers - Part 1

giphy.gif

So, the #1 quick-art-for-pitch trick for themed entertainment is the distortion tactic.

It’s a big brain game that environmental artists have used for years…. But it really starts with learning an old school Disney tactic. The Multiplane Camera.

Now, yes, a lot of Disney fans know the camera, but we never really think about how it parallels layers in a photo editing program, like photoshop. But Honestly? It can literally be the same thing. At the end of the day - You’re controlling different sections of the image to get exactly what you want.

So let's use that to draw an environment!

First off - Download a background eraser app (Eraser), a photo layering app (yes free ones exist)

So, Let's say we want to work with something at... I don't know...... Seven Seas Lagoon...Sure, Lets add KiteTails into the lake for funsies.

So take where you think it'd be the "classic spot" that people would see the attraction. Somewhere expected makes it feel.... a bit natural.

48691975592_b1b17f81eb_b.jpg

But to make it easier, cut out the chairs.... The biggest illusion to themed entertainment art is making guests look interested and happy with their updated surroundings. Empty chairs don't do any service to that.

A Good trick is to use a Picture where you wouldn't see guests reactions, like the water.

Disneys+Polynesian+Village+Resort.jpg

So, from there.... We're going to erase the background of a Kitetails segment, and add that to aBase layer (Bottom layer) of the Poly we found.

Baloo.png

Yes - terrible photo shop - but it'll help it out more during the artistic phase...

Stay tuned for Part 2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom