The Imagineer's Workshop

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I can't get enough of that project you guys did -- easily still one of if not the best project in competition history.

What I think helps is -- while there's a lot of content -- there's plenty of gadgets and gizmos to keep the reader immersed and entertained.

For instance when I get to Deck 6, I've read a lot of content...but, when keeps me going on towards Deck 7 and beyond is...well, first I want to hear what the next Disney Cruise Line radio song will be:cool:

But also -- it feels...real...like I'm exploring an actual cruise ship. Graphics, custom videos, custom fonts, and 'life' that many text based projects don't have.

Now it's also on the host of a competition to not have every single project have to be this detailed -- that'll burn the contestants out...but if the contestants want to really wow a reader and keep them interesting -- unique features to the project helps out a lot

For instance @kmbmw777 just did a Dr. Strange attraction with a Google docs presentation

Different presentation styles also makes your projects stand out among the pack too, which as a reader would catch my eye at least!
Totally agreed. And, I take some "credit" for this, but there was a push to using "websites" to present everything.

Well, I suppose I can tell the story of where that came from.

JDM basically flipped us over in Apprentice Season 2(?) by taking @MonorailRed over to another team and leaving just me and @Voxel on a team, even though our previous presentation had just WON with this presentation.

Vox and I were...upset. And, so, we decided to fall back on our other talents (we are both technical) to create something unlike any other presentation ever seen before.

That led to our idea to simply present it with...a video. "Play acting" as if it was a "real thing".

This video.

If you go back and look...all there is for the "submission" is a fake "memo" and a link to this video.

That takes you to a site that isn't completely functional anymore because I no longer own the domain (I don't think I do...at least).

http://63.135.165.8/starkindustries/

Where you can "hack" the system (Vox wrote that "terminal interface"...but, I was worried that it would be to confusing for the judge(s), so we had a clickthrough link to "cheat" and get straight to Jarvis anyway).

The only previous time we'd used a website that I recall...was...

http://63.135.165.8/project2/

(ahem @MonorailRed I need them logos someday!!!!)

(Oh, she lost them in the laptop crash, I think...part of why I added a "backup backup backup" entry to this thread earlier...)

Anyhow, my point is...you don't NEED a site to convey the idea. And, you shouldn't just do one because you "can"...only if it improves the presentation. Varied styles is extremely nice. That same comp, people jumped on Weebly, and it got really boring to see a site, every week...too predictable...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I can't get enough of that project you guys did -- easily still one of if not the best project in competition history.

What I think helps is -- while there's a lot of content -- there's plenty of gadgets and gizmos to keep the reader immersed and entertained.

For instance when I get to Deck 6, I've read a lot of content...but, when keeps me going on towards Deck 7 and beyond is...well, first I want to hear what the next Disney Cruise Line radio song will be:cool:

But also -- it feels...real...like I'm exploring an actual cruise ship. Graphics, custom videos, custom fonts, and 'life' that many text based projects don't have.

Now it's also on the host of a competition to not have every single project have to be this detailed -- that'll burn the contestants out...but if the contestants want to really wow a reader and keep them interesting -- unique features to the project helps out a lot

For instance @kmbmw777 just did a Dr. Strange attraction with a Google docs presentation

Different presentation styles also makes your projects stand out among the pack too, which as a reader would catch my eye at least!
We almost dropped the cruise line radio, and there were plenty of "tired recordings" in there, as I had to record them, mix them, and then downconvert them for web streaming. Took a lot of time each track, is what I'm saying.

But, we both agreed that it would have that exact effect, and keep the reader "engaged" as they "explored" the ship.

Glad to know that decision of ours had that effect! That was entirely our intent!

spacemt354

Chili's
Totally agreed. And, I take some "credit" for this, but there was a push to using "websites" to present everything.

Well, I suppose I can tell the story of where that came from.

JDM basically flipped us over in Apprentice Season 2(?) by taking @MonorailRed over to another team and leaving just me and @Voxel on a team, even though our previous presentation had just WON with this presentation.

Vox and I were...upset. And, so, we decided to fall back on our other talents (we are both technical) to create something unlike any other presentation ever seen before.

That led to our idea to simply present it with...a video. "Play acting" as if it was a "real thing".

This video.

If you go back and look...all there is for the "submission" is a fake "memo" and a link to this video.

That takes you to a site that isn't completely functional anymore because I no longer own the domain (I don't think I do...at least).

http://63.135.165.8/starkindustries/

Where you can "hack" the system (Vox wrote that "terminal interface"...but, I was worried that it would be to confusing for the judge(s), so we had a clickthrough link to "cheat" and get straight to Jarvis anyway).

The only previous time we'd used a website that I recall...was...

http://63.135.165.8/project2/

(ahem @MonorailRed I need them logos someday!!!!)

(Oh, she lost them in the laptop crash, I think...part of why I added a "backup backup backup" entry to this thread earlier...)

Anyhow, my point is...you don't NEED a site to convey the idea. And, you shouldn't just do one because you "can"...only if it improves the presentation. Varied styles is extremely nice. That same comp, people jumped on Weebly, and it got really boring to see a site, every week...too predictable...

100%!

You do the style that works for you -- not what worked for others...play to your strengths!

One of my favorites from @Jsly

This completely took us by surprise last year -- as with @MCParradox as he posted his map illustrations a few pages back -- those were two relatively new players who came out and did what they are good at -- and it worked to perfection!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
100%!

You do the style that works for you -- not what worked for others...play to your strengths!

One of my favorites from @Jsly

This completely took us by surprise last year -- as with @MCParradox as he posted his map illustrations a few pages back -- those were two relatively new players who came out and did what they are good at -- and it worked to perfection!

That is SO WELL DONE! Simple, but expresses the exact concept in a way that other media truly can't.

So, yes, exactly this.

And, we've all been there. When it "gels" (and, everyone here knows what I mean) it is a high you can't replace, and a pride you should take in your work, and your results as a team!

It isn't always just about tossing as much content at a project as you can, sometimes it helps (often, it helps) to take a step back and think about presentation style and how it looks to someone not as invested in the project as you.

In fact, this is where team-members who get onto teams where they have "less to contribute" due to the nature of the challenge can excel in making the finished product all the better!

I'll give you an example. You get a challenge where you have to make a video. You have one member on the team that is really good at video editing, etc...and that person takes the reins for that (the team agrees).

As other projects get divvied up, you find you are left with a pittance of work to do...maybe some small work like the concessions menus or something. This has happened to me. A lot (since I became known as the "menu guy" for a while).

That doesn't mean you are down and out. Feedback (and I do mean feedback, not sniping other's work) is incredibly important.

Just keep those egos at the door. I remember really enjoying working with several newer members still working on their skillsets (@tcool123) in this capacity, where I'd post a sample video or something for review by the team, and he'd tear it apart with all sorts of improvements.

And, the end result, was a better results for it. I may have done the "editing", but I certainly didn't do the "work" (if that makes sense)?

spacemt354

Chili's
That is SO WELL DONE! Simple, but expresses the exact concept in a way that other media truly can't.

So, yes, exactly this.

And, we've all been there. When it "gels" (and, everyone here knows what I mean) it is a high you can't replace, and a pride you should take in your work, and your results as a team!

It isn't always just about tossing as much content at a project as you can, sometimes it helps (often, it helps) to take a step back and think about presentation style and how it looks to someone not as invested in the project as you.

In fact, this is where team-members who get onto teams where they have "less to contribute" due to the nature of the challenge can excel in making the finished product all the better!

I'll give you an example. You get a challenge where you have to make a video. You have one member on the team that is really good at video editing, etc...and that person takes the reins for that (the team agrees).

As other projects get divvied up, you find you are left with a pittance of work to do...maybe some small work like the concessions menus or something. This has happened to me. A lot (since I became known as the "menu guy" for a while).

That doesn't mean you are down and out. Feedback (and I do mean feedback, not sniping other's work) is incredibly important.

Just keep those egos at the door. I remember really enjoying working with several newer members still working on their skillsets (@tcool123) in this capacity, where I'd post a sample video or something for review by the team, and he'd tear it apart with all sorts of improvements.

And, the end result, was a better results for it. I may have done the "editing", but I certainly didn't do the "work" (if that makes sense)?
Total sense -- that is why I like team competitions so much, especially ones where you have 3-5 challenges together ..because you can find a rhythm after maybe 2 or 3. You may not win all of them ...but after you click (at least hopefully you click) it was very rewarding in one season of sole imagineer -- I was the art guy for most of the rounds, most of the other players were more comfortable with writing.

But we had to do a campaign for SeaWorld -- and we agreed to all try new things. I think I did one sketch, but others ended up doing pictures, logos, and more while I did the write-up!

That was a lot of fun -- and can only really happen once you grow together as a team...and not being traded around ever other round...then it's tough to do that because you're adjusting to a new team dynamic each round.

AceAstro

I also love this thread because @englanddg -- I learned about Paint.NET from you on this thread....

And I was able to show @AceAstro it and now he's learning how to do maps with paint! :D Same with @Pionmycake -- he adapted a technique for his maps based on how I drew trees.

Very rewarding and useful that this thread exists and that we learn from each other! The only way we all get better!
Very true! Between the two of you, the tips for Paint.NET were incredible!

spacemt354

Chili's
I wanted to share a little tip I learned in case anyone wanted to try this. It's very simple and could be a fun little addition to your imagineering projects in the future.

How to Draw Black Light Environments for Attractions

Tools Needed
Colored Pencil Variety Pack (12 - 36 is good)
#2 Pencil
Phone/camera/computer with filter options

Step 1 - Draw Out Lines of Color

Just start by taking a dozen or so colored pencils and making slashed lines on a piece of scrap paper like so...
4586888492005093177%253Faccount_id%253D9

When you're done...take your device that has filters (most likely your phone) and take a picture of the lines from above.

I have a Samsung S6 Edge, so at this point, I take the picture, hit auto adjust to clear it up a bit, then go to ---

Step 2 - Find the "Negative" Filter

After snapping the picture, click "Edit", then once you click on Edit, I go to "Effects", then scroll through the options until I get to "Negative"

On other devices it may have a different name/series of events - nevertheless, the key is to look for a filter that shows up with a blueish/black background in contrast to your white piece of paper.
262473562596719606%253Faccount_id%253D9

You'll then notice that all the colors you drew with are now changed...purple is green, green is purple, yellow is blue, black is white, and so on...

So now that you have your template for negative colors, we can move on to the next step...

Step 3 - Draw the Image

The only thing you need to remember in this step is the first time you do it, it could be kinda confusing to be drawing with the opposite color, but just keep that "negative" image reference by your side, and keep your colored pencils in the order in which they show up on the image so you can visualize what you're drawing.

And now we have our image.
93390231491633169%253Faccount_id%253D9

Step 4 - Edit Once Again

With the image drawn, we then take out our phone/camera and snap a photo, make sure you crop to get the right angles and so on, then we go to the "Edit" option once again, go to "Effects" and find "Negative"

Then bam! You have your very own black light image.
1772497519417692357%253Faccount_id%253D9

Based on the image above, this can come in handy if you want a 'Tron style' attraction, Test Track 2.0, or even a dark ride like Winnie the Pooh and the Heffalump scene

It can be used for many different projects so hopefully this helps and I'd love to see some folks try this in future designs!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I wanted to share a little tip I learned in case anyone wanted to try this. It's very simple and could be a fun little addition to your imagineering projects in the future.

How to Draw Black Light Environments for Attractions

Tools Needed
Colored Pencil Variety Pack (12 - 36 is good)
#2 Pencil
Phone/camera/computer with filter options

Step 1 - Draw Out Lines of Color

Just start by taking a dozen or so colored pencils and making slashed lines on a piece of scrap paper like so...
4586888492005093177%253Faccount_id%253D9

When you're done...take your device that has filters (most likely your phone) and take a picture of the lines from above.

I have a Samsung S6 Edge, so at this point, I take the picture, hit auto adjust to clear it up a bit, then go to ---

Step 2 - Find the "Negative" Filter

After snapping the picture, click "Edit", then once you click on Edit, I go to "Effects", then scroll through the options until I get to "Negative"

On other devices it may have a different name/series of events - nevertheless, the key is to look for a filter that shows up with a blueish/black background in contrast to your white piece of paper.
262473562596719606%253Faccount_id%253D9

You'll then notice that all the colors you drew with are now changed...purple is green, green is purple, yellow is blue, black is white, and so on...

So now that you have your template for negative colors, we can move on to the next step...

Step 3 - Draw the Image

The only thing you need to remember in this step is the first time you do it, it could be kinda confusing to be drawing with the opposite color, but just keep that "negative" image reference by your side, and keep your colored pencils in the order in which they show up on the image so you can visualize what you're drawing.

And now we have our image.
93390231491633169%253Faccount_id%253D9

Step 4 - Edit Once Again

With the image drawn, we then take out our phone/camera and snap a photo, make sure you crop to get the right angles and so on, then we go to the "Edit" option once again, go to "Effects" and find "Negative"

Then bam! You have your very own black light image.
1772497519417692357%253Faccount_id%253D9

Based on the image above, this can come in handy if you want a 'Tron style' attraction, Test Track 2.0, or even a dark ride like Winnie the Pooh and the Heffalump scene

It can be used for many different projects so hopefully this helps and I'd love to see some folks try this in future designs!
That is clever! I'm gonna have to remember that one

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, I'm gonna try to write up a quick guide to making easy and professional looking maps in Google Slides (A free service) in like 5 minutes.

In the mean time, here is somehting very helpful @spacemt354 made a while back in a different thread for pricing and budgeting. Maybe not the most accurate on some as a lot of it is estimates and extrapolations. But very thorough and detailed and feels pretty realistic in nearly all cases despite being three years old.

---------------------------

There have been some questions about budgets/prices for certain attractions/shows/M&Gs etc. In order to level the playing field and so that everything is clear, I wanted to lay out an "OFFICIAL GUIDELINE" for costs of attraction types. I put that in quotes because all of these prices can be altered in the real world. However for the sake of our friendly competition, we want to make everything as fair and balanced as possible. I listed some of the most expensive attractions built and their prices, however there is an eclectic variety of other attractions where prices can vary. So I am going to simplify it and make all prices standardized. It still gives all of you creative power over your designs and makes it easier to determine yourselves how much certain attractions will cost.

Here's the list:

ATTRACTION COSTS:
Key:
Small - minimal theme, little detail
Medium - well themed, good detail
Large - Very well themed, extensive detail
X-Large - Best themed, extensive detail

Dark Rides:
Small (ex: Pinocchio in DL) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Peter Pan's Flight) - 45 Million
Large (ex: Haunted Mansion) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mystic Manor) - 90 Million
New Technology in Small/Medium Ride (Ratatouille in DLP) - 80/90 Million
New Technology in Large/X-Large Ride (ex: Harry Potter) - 120/130 Million

Flat Rides:
Small (ex: Dumbo) - 15 Million
Medium (ex: Mater's Jamboree) - 20 Million
Large - 25 Million
X-Large - 30 Million --- I cannot think of any examples right now.

Water Rides:
Small (ex: Swan Boats) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: It's a small world) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Pirates of the Caribbean) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Kali River Rapids) - 75 Million

Roller Coasters:
Small (ex: Barnstormer) - 25 Million
Medium (ex: Seven Dwarf Mine Train) - 50 Million
Large (ex: Space Mountain) - 75 Million
X-Large (ex: Expedition Everest) - 100 Million

Misc Thrill Rides:
Tower of Terror - 140 Million
Radiator Springs Racers - 200 Million
Test Track - 300 Million

Simulators:
Medium (ex: Sum of All Thrills) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Star Tours) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mission Space) - 75 Million

Extra Simulators:
3-D Simulator (ex: Star Tours 2) - 60 Million
3-D Ride (ex: Spider-Man) - 75 Million
3-D Dark Ride (ex: Toy Story Mania) - 80 Million
3-D Roller Coaster (Escape from Gringotts) - 100 Million
3-D Show (ex: Muppet Vision) - 40 Million
Motion Simulator ride (ex: Dinosaur) - 60 Million
Motion Simulator show (ex: Soarin') - 60 Million

Shows:
Small (ex: Country Bear Jamboree) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Hall of Presidents) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Beauty and the Beast) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Lights Motors Action) - 60 Million

Walk-Throughs:
Small (ex: Mickey's House) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: A WS pavilion) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Jungle Trek) - 30 Million

Restaurants:
X-Small (ex: Dole Whip Stall) - 5 Million
Small (ex: Quick Service) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: Tony's Town Square) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Beast Castle) - 30 Million

Shops:
Small - 5 Million
Medium - 10 Million
Large - 15 Million

Restrooms:
Small - 5 Million
Medium - 7 Million
Large (ex: Tangled) - 10 Million

Park Icons:
Small (ex: Earful Tower) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: Chinese Theater) - 25 Million
Large (ex: Cinderella Castle) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Spaceship Earth) - 75 Million

Transportation:
Bus/Taxi Stop Construction - 50 Million (equal among everyone)
Monorail Station Construction - 75 Million (equal among everyone)
Monorail Track Expansion - 1 Million per piece

In-Park Transportation:
Trolley (ex: Main Street) - 5 Million
Boat (ex: World Showcase Lagoon) - 10 Million
Skyway/Peoplemover - 20 Million
Train - 35 Million

Medical:
First-Aid Station - 10 Million (equal among everyone)

Nighttime Entertainment:
Meet and Greet: Small -5 Million Medium - 10 Million Large - 15 Million X-Large - 20 Million
Fireworks Show: Large - 15 Million X-Large - 20 Million (No Small/Medium option)
Water/Pyro Show: (Same criteria as fireworks)
Parade: Medium - 15 Million Large - 20 Million X-Large - 25 Million

Infrastructure:
Land renovation/Walkways/Benches/Trashcans/Entrance area - 100 Million (equal among everyone)
Electricity (Lights)/Power/Sewage/Backstage Areas - 50 Million (equal among everyone)
Lake construction: Small - 10 Million Medium - 20 Million Large - 30 Million X-Large - 40 Million
Landscaping (Plants/Trees): Few - 5 Million Moderate - 10 Million Many - 15 Million A Lot - 20 Million
Employee Salaries - 5 Million (equal among everyone)
Parking - 10 Million (equal among everyone)

spacemt354

Chili's
So, I'm gonna try to write up a quick guide to making easy and professional looking maps in Google Slides (A free service) in like 5 minutes.

In the mean time, here is somehting very helpful @spacemt354 made a while back in a different thread for pricing and budgeting. Maybe not the most accurate on some as a lot of it is estimates and extrapolations. But very thorough and detailed and feels pretty realistic in nearly all cases despite being three years old.

---------------------------

There have been some questions about budgets/prices for certain attractions/shows/M&Gs etc. In order to level the playing field and so that everything is clear, I wanted to lay out an "OFFICIAL GUIDELINE" for costs of attraction types. I put that in quotes because all of these prices can be altered in the real world. However for the sake of our friendly competition, we want to make everything as fair and balanced as possible. I listed some of the most expensive attractions built and their prices, however there is an eclectic variety of other attractions where prices can vary. So I am going to simplify it and make all prices standardized. It still gives all of you creative power over your designs and makes it easier to determine yourselves how much certain attractions will cost.

Here's the list:

ATTRACTION COSTS:
Key:
Small - minimal theme, little detail
Medium - well themed, good detail
Large - Very well themed, extensive detail
X-Large - Best themed, extensive detail

Dark Rides:
Small (ex: Pinocchio in DL) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Peter Pan's Flight) - 45 Million
Large (ex: Haunted Mansion) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mystic Manor) - 90 Million
New Technology in Small/Medium Ride (Ratatouille in DLP) - 80/90 Million
New Technology in Large/X-Large Ride (ex: Harry Potter) - 120/130 Million

Flat Rides:
Small (ex: Dumbo) - 15 Million
Medium (ex: Mater's Jamboree) - 20 Million
Large - 25 Million
X-Large - 30 Million --- I cannot think of any examples right now.

Water Rides:
Small (ex: Swan Boats) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: It's a small world) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Pirates of the Caribbean) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Kali River Rapids) - 75 Million

Roller Coasters:
Small (ex: Barnstormer) - 25 Million
Medium (ex: Seven Dwarf Mine Train) - 50 Million
Large (ex: Space Mountain) - 75 Million
X-Large (ex: Expedition Everest) - 100 Million

Misc Thrill Rides:
Tower of Terror - 140 Million
Radiator Springs Racers - 200 Million
Test Track - 300 Million

Simulators:
Medium (ex: Sum of All Thrills) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Star Tours) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mission Space) - 75 Million

Extra Simulators:
3-D Simulator (ex: Star Tours 2) - 60 Million
3-D Ride (ex: Spider-Man) - 75 Million
3-D Dark Ride (ex: Toy Story Mania) - 80 Million
3-D Roller Coaster (Escape from Gringotts) - 100 Million
3-D Show (ex: Muppet Vision) - 40 Million
Motion Simulator ride (ex: Dinosaur) - 60 Million
Motion Simulator show (ex: Soarin') - 60 Million

Shows:
Small (ex: Country Bear Jamboree) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Hall of Presidents) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Beauty and the Beast) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Lights Motors Action) - 60 Million

Walk-Throughs:
Small (ex: Mickey's House) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: A WS pavilion) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Jungle Trek) - 30 Million

Restaurants:
X-Small (ex: Dole Whip Stall) - 5 Million
Small (ex: Quick Service) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: Tony's Town Square) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Beast Castle) - 30 Million

Shops:
Small - 5 Million
Medium - 10 Million
Large - 15 Million

Restrooms:
Small - 5 Million
Medium - 7 Million
Large (ex: Tangled) - 10 Million

Park Icons:
Small (ex: Earful Tower) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: Chinese Theater) - 25 Million
Large (ex: Cinderella Castle) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Spaceship Earth) - 75 Million

Transportation:
Bus/Taxi Stop Construction - 50 Million (equal among everyone)
Monorail Station Construction - 75 Million (equal among everyone)
Monorail Track Expansion - 1 Million per piece

In-Park Transportation:
Trolley (ex: Main Street) - 5 Million
Boat (ex: World Showcase Lagoon) - 10 Million
Skyway/Peoplemover - 20 Million
Train - 35 Million

Medical:
First-Aid Station - 10 Million (equal among everyone)

Nighttime Entertainment:
Meet and Greet: Small -5 Million Medium - 10 Million Large - 15 Million X-Large - 20 Million
Fireworks Show: Large - 15 Million X-Large - 20 Million (No Small/Medium option)
Water/Pyro Show: (Same criteria as fireworks)
Parade: Medium - 15 Million Large - 20 Million X-Large - 25 Million

Infrastructure:
Land renovation/Walkways/Benches/Trashcans/Entrance area - 100 Million (equal among everyone)
Electricity (Lights)/Power/Sewage/Backstage Areas - 50 Million (equal among everyone)
Lake construction: Small - 10 Million Medium - 20 Million Large - 30 Million X-Large - 40 Million
Landscaping (Plants/Trees): Few - 5 Million Moderate - 10 Million Many - 15 Million A Lot - 20 Million
Employee Salaries - 5 Million (equal among everyone)
Parking - 10 Million (equal among everyone)
You can thank RCT3 for this haha that was the inspiration. Some of these most definitely vary case by case but it was centered around looking at some costs we do know and then standardizing it for the Omega Challenge in The Creator Games so someone building a coaster the size of Everest would be able to look at the chart, find Everest's cost, and then be able to add up the total. And this way the projects for the omega challenge wouldn't have wildly different guesses of cost.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
How to make quick, easy, professional looking maps with Google Slides.

NOTE: Use powerpoint if you have it. Very similar set of tools, but power point gives a lot more freedom and variety. Slides is free though and anyone with internet can access it.

Step One - Make a base of grass for your map

1521761435566.png

1521761459921.png

Step Two: Add some shapes for attraction buildings. It helps to have a layout in mind before starting.

1521761544238.png

Step three: Insert a curved Line to work as a path. The curved line is a great tool because it is very versatile and the curve of the line can be edited after the fact if you mess up or need to change something

1521761652693.png

1521761680131.png

Step Four: Add environmental details such as a lake and some tress. If you complete a loop with the curved line, it becomes a filled in shape. This is useful for any odd shaped buildings or making natural look environmental features like lakes or mountains. Also, add in some tress as just some tiny shapes. I recommend either circles or clouds. But feel free to play around with it.

1521761712822.png

1521761837166.png
1521761857888.png

Step Five: Add text boxes to label things and more lines to connect your path to your attractions. Any other last details that don't look right or you want to make look better.

1521761974013.png

Step Six: Pick to present it so it will go full screen. That way nothing outside the box will show up. Take a screenshot and you know have your completed map.

1521762062944.png

This concludes my very unprofessional explanation of how to make professional maps

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
This map was obviously more comedic and slap dash, but the same basic concepts are how I made my Pi's Disneyland map.
1521762255215.png

Or how I made my Disney studios redo map for the battle of the bad attractions. I made all three versions in well under a half hour.
1521762351359.png

1521762365492.png
1521762374358.png

Not my best work. But it works well as a basic map. Especially since I didn't have a ton of time (Also, man was I close on my future plans haha)

pixie_princess

This map was obviously more comedic and slap dash, but the same basic concepts are how I made my Pi's Disneyland map.
View attachment 271865

Or how I made my Disney studios redo map for the battle of the bad attractions. I made all three versions in well under a half hour.
View attachment 271867
View attachment 271869View attachment 271870
Not my best work. But it works well as a basic map. Especially since I didn't have a ton of time (Also, man was I close on my future plans haha)

Coming in CLUTCH as I was just panicking about my map for SYWTBAI. This is perfect!!!

spacemt354

Chili's
This might be anecdotal but -- when trying to make intro videos or other videos with copyrighted Disney attraction music/audio, like most of the Sorcerer's Apprentice videos, I have found that if you set the video to public on YouTube, there's a greater chance it gets muted by a copyright.

However, if you keep the video unlisted, I have not had a problem. For instance I have the WDW Album as an mp3, and I used a few of the songs. The copyright song still shows up in the video stats area, but it doesn't affect the ability to still play it. And everyone can still view it in the forum with the video link which is really the whole point of 99% of the videos made for these comps and projects. Just thought I'd drop that in here!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom