The Imagineering Movie Discussion Thread

NateD1226

May 2024 New Releases Ranking!

I know this was discussed a bit earlier, but this year is just not living up to the past couple of years. I knew the strikes were gonna have some impact, but damn it is dry so far. There are obviously some stand-outs, but it seems all the heavy hitters won't arrive until the fall. That's fine because it's all about appreciating the art no matter when it gets here, but I cannot help but feel a bit disappointed in the films that were in theaters this month, espcially after April had some stellar films. Anyway, let me not go too off topic. I caught eight new releases in May, seven in theaters and one on streaming.

8. In A Violent Nature (1.5/5)
Sigh...I really really really hate that I have this film with such a low score, but it just frustrated me so much. The horror film is all about seeing a classic cabin in the woods horror story through the killers POV. It is such a unique concept, but it does NOTHING with it. For over an hour, we just walk in the woods with this killer who brutally kills the victims. The kills are somewhat cool, but the set-up is so weak and laughable that there is no pay-off. It is obviously trying to pay homage to Friday the 13th, and there is a hint of maybe a similar plot twist occurring in the final act, but is not acted on, meaning the movie just ends. It does not help that the film literally breaks its rules for the last 20ish minutes. If you are going to use the killer POV shtick, stick to it!!! The acting is not great, and the direction is just so bleak. I am gonna wrap it up because this film really does not deserve all this. It just really upset me because the horror genre is usually so good at putting out great original stories, but this was a huge miss for me. If any of you saw this or plan to see it, please share your thoughts because maybe I just need to be pulled back into reality and stop being a pessimist about it lol

7. The Strangers: Chapter 1 (2/5)
Another horror flick being at the bottom hurts my heart, but here we are. I don't like the original Strangers movie, and this one is basically a remake of it in a modern setting, so there's that lol. The jumpscares are decent, but, just like original, the characters are even stupider and just annoyed me instead of being entrancing. I'm hoping the next two are better because, right now, it seems like this whole trilogy could be a huge waste of money.

6. The Fall Guy (3/5)
I sorta talked about this film at the beginning of the month, but this did not do it for me. The comedy was the biggest issue. I am not the biggest comedy fan, but if it it's done right then I am hooked. Unfortunately, the jokes here were a mess. Like did we really a Heard/Depp joke? Come on... I am sucker for film's about Hollywood, (Where are my Babylon fans at? One of the best movies of all time yup!!) and there were nice tidbits about the inner workings of stunt work. I would have loved more of that, but what's there was pretty strong. It is a sweet little popcorn blockbuster, but I just wanted more from it. I don't see myself revisiting it down the line.

5. The Idea of You (3/5)
This film is another one I talked about earlier, and I don't really have much more to say about it besides it is fun! There is nothing wrong with a fun little rom-com, and this was a nice time-passer. Anne Hathaway will always be one of my favorite actresses, and Nicolas Galitzine is currently on a roll with his performances in his newer movies. Is it great? Not even close. Yet, I had a fun time with it, and that's what it was made for.

4. Furiosa (3/5)
Please don't grill me for this score lol. In my eyes, Fury Road is pretty decent. I appreciate it for what it is, but I always thought it was just a tad bit overhyped. However, I remained optimistic about Furiosa because my girl Anya was in it...until she wasn't because what do you mean she doesn't appear until like 60 minutes in??? I was tired of seeing Chris Hemsworth and his character. No offense to the guy, I actually thought he did a great job, but I came here to see the story of Furiosa, and this was not that. I just accepted that maybe I don't really vibe with these movies lol. I am more of a character person, but Miller kinda focuses more on vibes and aesthetics. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but it is just not my type of movie. However, I can't deny the wild technical aspects, and Miller does not necessarily make a bad film. It is just a bit weak.

3. IF (3.5/5)
What a fun little film! I took this as a Pixar movie brought to life just because it was so heavy and emotional, which is surprising for an original live-action family flick. It is harmless in its storytelling, and it has plenty of entertaining moments. John Krasinski continues do a great job as a director, and it is nice to see an original story like this in the marketplace.

2. I Saw the TV Glow (3.5/5)
I really wanted to like this more, like I was so excited for this movie. Yet, I was just a tad disappointed in the end. Don't get me wrong, the premise is here is beautiful, and thematic messaging hits close to home. However, it sort gets lost in the sauce in the final act, feeling like there was more care for the aesthetics than the story at hand. It sucks because the first 45ish minutes are spectacular. I just wish it held on to the magic of the first half within the second half. Maybe I just need a rewatch for it to fully click.

1. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (4/5)
Does KOTPOTA live up the 1968 original or the 2010's trilogy. Not really, but I enjoyed it! The visuals were incredible from start to finish, and the performances were even better. It a bit lengthy, making the pacing feel a bit wonky, but there is so much to enjoy here.

I swear I am not usually this pessimistic when it comes to movies lol. This month was just rough from start to finish, feeling like a step down from some of the incredible films we got the past two months. I am not sure how June is going to pan out, but we'll see!

TheOriginalTiki

This was a genuinely terrible month for movies. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was pretty solid but definitely didn't live up to the two Matt Reeves movies (Very much an "in between" movie for me. Better than "Rise", worse than Dawn and War). Furiosa was decent with Hemsworth in particular delivering one of the more memorable performances of the year thus far, but the discourse around its box office performance has been exhausting. I skipped Garfield and The Strangers. I would have seen In a Violent Nature if not for Nate's review.

I was on the fence all month about rather IF looked like it was worth seeing in theaters or not but the annoying social media campaign of pulling "critic" quotes out of regular people kind of had the opposite effect and reeked of desperation. The movie that I'm sure would have been my number one of the month (I Saw the TV Glow) didn't screen anywhere near me because my local independent theater has one foot in the grave and is basically relying on big releases to stay afloat and other than that the market has just been way too over-saturated with mid-level, disposable "Product" movies.

Oh, and The Fall Guy sucked too :p

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Gotta say, I'm pretty frustrated with the back half of X-Men 97. After THE episode the pacing slows way the hell down, almost to a crawl. It introduces a bunch of stuff that, unlike the first half of the season, made me feel like I was genuinely missing something by not watching the original show. Then in the three part finale they speed run through a TON of major events and it's all just too much. So much crazy stuff happens that I don't really feel the impact of any of it. For such a perfect build-up to the mid-season event, I'm left with a very "good but not great" feeling about the season as a whole.

PerGron

Original Poster
May, oh May, what a bad movie month. While there were a few things I enjoyed well enough, very little of this month stood out to me beyond being "fine." In fact, while I watched quite a few of this year's releases trying to get back on track for my 365 new release challenge, most of what I watched this month were releases from earlier in the year just because there wasn't a lot I was crazy interested in seeing. That said, I managed 10 new May releases so let's go through them.

#10- Tarot
Tarot.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I like a schlocky horror movie and when I saw the trailer for this the first time, I was hopeful it would at least be fun. It wasn't going to be "good" but I could've had a good time with it. Instead, we got some hot garbage in the acting department, a nothing story, and not even any on-screen carnage. The least this movie could've done was commit and go Rated R just to do the gore fest it clearly wanted to be, but instead it has all the generic tropes of a supernatural teen (they're college age but whatever) horror flick that Cabin in the Woods made fun of thirteen ******* years ago. Absolute dog****, do not watch this movie.

#09- The Garfield Movie
Garfield Movie, The.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

This is the kind of movie my grandma would've taken me to as a kid when she was babysitting four cousins and just needed a break from us. It's an empty void of a movie with next to no personality stuffed with celebrity voices for absolutely no reason. I was mildly okay with Pratt as Mario, as I've said, I think a whole movie with the "Mario voice" would've been grating, but Garfield is not the role for him in the slightest. This is low-tier child movie garbage alongside most of Illumination's stuff and while I don't think it's the worst thing ever, I don't think it needed to exist and I do think kids deserve better entertainment focused at them.

#08- IF
IF.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I don't think IF is a terrible movie, it has elements of charm and fun to it, the cast is mostly alright with the little girl being excellent, and the story is nice enough. That said, this is definitely a huge step down from the A Quiet Place films in terms of Krasinski's directorial features. It's not really kiddie enough to appeal to kids, too much deep emotional stuff focused on nostalgic adults, but there's also not enough of that to counteract the goofy kiddie stuff to make this a movie geared towards older people. This movie isn't really "for" anyone and I think that's what hurts it the most.

#07- Living with Leopards
Living with Leopards.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

This year hasn't just been rough in terms of narrative features, the documentaries have been pretty tough to sit through as well. While Living with Leopards is a competently-made documentary about leopards growing up (something that is tough to film due to their illusiveness, especially with young) that doesn't go beyond the very surface of what a documentary like this could achieve. Leopards are a highly persecuted species that education for is minimal in our cultural zeitgeist and a leopard doc could've done the species a lot of good. For someone who just likes to watch animals on screen for an hour and a half, it's fine and beautifully shot (as most nature docs are) but to me it lacked substance beyond the novelty of filming leopard cubs growing up.

#06- The Fall Guy
Fall Guy, The.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

This movie was a beautiful mess. It was too long, too messy, too convoluted, and yet I can't not love both Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt. They were clearly having fun here and their charm and charisma alone pushed this movie this high up the list. The plot is mostly forgettable and the characters even more so, but the movie has some really awesome practical stunts and the performances are decent enough to give this one sixth place.

#05- South Park: The End of Obesity
South Park- The End of Obesity.jpg

[Watched on Paramount+]

You know it was a rough month when the newest South Park special ends up in the top 5. That said, I'm pretty tired of the specials that they keep doing, I wish they'd just go back to making episodes or end the series entirely, there was zero reason for this to not just be an episode of a recent season of South Park. The commentary on the American healthcare system was pretty funny and the Mad Max: Fury Road homage at the end was also a good time, but this really would've just served better as an episode over a special.

#04- Jim Henson Idea Man
Jim Henson Idea Man.jpg

[Watched on Disney+]

Now we get into the four that I actively enjoyed a lot. As @JokersWild said, this documentary was a great insight into Henson as both a person and an artist and follows almost his entire career from local public access television to The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and also touches on the Disney partnership without Disney sucking themselves off like they tend to do with these things (*cough* Stan Lee from last year *cough*). This was a great little documentary with some awesome stuff that any Muppets or Henson fan should definitely check out.

#03- Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
Furiosa- A Mad Max Saga.jpg

[Watched on Disney+]

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Furiosa, like, really enjoyed it. Yeah, the CGI was a bit iffy in parts and it's definitely no Mad Max: Fury Road, but that was probably the best action film of the 2010s, so I didn't really expect it again. I thought the deeper dive into Furiosa's character and her revenge plot was great, I thought both actresses who played Furiosa were phenomenal, I thought the action here (though less than expected) was phenomenal as well, and I thought Chris Hemsworth gave my favorite performance he's ever given. I get why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really sad watching it flop as it has been because I had a great time with this one.

#02- Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

"What a wonderful day!"

I loved this. I get why not everyone does as much as me, I understand the gripes and even agree with them to an extent, but I thought Noa was a great protagonist, I absolutely ADORED Raka, seriously he's probably my favorite ape in the series, and I found Proximus Caesar to be a phenomenal villain who I hope we get more of eventually. The effects here are also astounding and I'm so glad I got to see it in IMAX (sorry @TheOriginalTiki).

#01- I Saw the TV Glow
I Saw the TV Glow.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I know I kind of gave this one's placement away when I saw it, but man did I connect to this movie so much. The visual aesthetics were absolutely gorgeous and the cinematography was amazing, plus I love the feeling of corrupted nostalgia and identity that it plays with. I loved the director's work on We're All Going to the World's Fair and playing with notions of creepypasta and online storytelling and while this movie is less focused on that, it definitely took inspiration from one of my favorite internet stories Candle Cove as well as serialized YA paranormal series that I grew up loving. This isn't everyone's cup of tea and I totally get that, but it's also why I love it so much. Expect this one to be high on my end of year list and to probably reveal its place at the second annual Golden Tikis.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, May is finally over and we look forward to another month of uninteresting fare in my humble opinion. I guess if I had to pick my most anticipated for the month, it'd probably end up being Inside Out 2, not because I think it's gonna be a great movie (I don't love the first) but there's just not a ton to be super excited about this month. I hope I can be proven wrong though.​

TheOriginalTiki

The Watchers getting mixed reviews is the biggest bummer in a while. I swear this summer movie season is legitimately awful with how many movies with serious potential have ended up being mid at best. If Inside Out 2 and A Quiet Place Day One suffer the same fate I honestly might just loose it. I went to go see Challengers for a third time yesterday just out of desperation for SOMETHING of actual quality in a movie theater. This summer season be over soon enough.

PerGron

Original Poster
The Watchers getting mixed reviews is the biggest bummer in a while. I swear this summer movie season is legitimately awful with how many movies with serious potential have ended up being mid at best. If Inside Out 2 and A Quiet Place Day One suffer the same fate I honestly might just loose it. I went to go see Challengers for a third time yesterday just out of desperation for SOMETHING of actual quality in a movie theater. This summer season be over soon enough.
I’m right there with ya man. Honestly the only thing left this summer I’m more than marginally interested in is Twisters, otherwise I’ve got nothing

TheOriginalTiki

On the positive side of things, I just wanted to shout out Smiling Friends for the incredible season it's been having. It's just been genuine banger episode after banger episode, and the jump in ambition with all the mixed media visuals is truly something special. I missed seeing the first two seasons of Rick and Morty when they were airing live, so it's super exciting to be experiencing these episodes as soon as they come out. I feel like I'm witnessing a true "moment" in comedy.

Mr. Boss is one of the most brilliantly unsettling animated characters I've ever come across and I'm freaking LIVING for any and all screen time he gets. The mix of affection and malice the dude has in any given scene is ridiculous.

NateD1226

Just finished Inside Out 2, and I also really enjoyed it. I’m not the biggest fan of the first movie, so I was so happy this one took all my complaints about the first and made it better!!! I’ve enjoyed a handful of Pixar’s recent entries this decade, but this and Luca have really stuck out to me quite wonderfully. Highly recommend!

TheOriginalTiki

Also file me into the "Loved" camp, though for me I don't know if it tops the first movie. As far as being an emotional powerhouse I definitely think Inside Out 2 lacks a "take her to the moon for me" moment, but I also think it makes up for that through a combination of insanely creative set pieces, a super poignant and complex personification of Anxiety, and a level of balance between all the Emotion characters that was crazy impressive. It's a damn magic trick to me how this movie literally doubles the number of emotions and yet somehow does a better job than the first movie did in making sure they all had meaningful plot stuff to do, whereas in the first film it definitely felt like the Anger/Disgust/Fear trio didn't have a ton of individual standout plot relevance outside of just being the ones left in headquarters. Envy is probably the least plot-relevant emotion character, but Ayo Edebiri is a freaking legend and she has some of the biggest laughs of the movie for me. Generally speaking I think the comedy in this film outpaces the first by a considerable degree.

One of the absolute smartest things this movie does is for the most part not break up the original crew into side stories. That's a mistake that sequels make time and time again, and it's super refreshing that this movie didn't fall into that trap. If I had one complaint it's that the "real world" stuff didn't hit as hard for me, and honestly I can already sort of start to feel Pete Docter's recent comments about leaning away from autobiographical stories coming into play here. This film feels much less like a rock solid narrative and much more like a playground for creative ideas. My main complaint is that Riley's friends kind of feel like NPCs. They're all just fleshed out enough but none of them really stand out. Even the main "cool girl" feels derivative of a similar "Rival friend" character from Ralph Breaks the Internet, even down to her design to a certain extent. I know the humans aren't really the focus of these movies, much like Toy Story, but I was definitely missing the presence of the parents and those scenes generally hit a lot harder for me than the teen drama.

With that said, the Anxiety element of the movie is definitely a high point, and I appreciate the hell out of this movie for having such a nuanced and complex depiction of it. The movie really does feel like an anxiety attack in a lot of places with Riley navigating the social stuff. The ending of the Anxiety character's arc, while not as instantly poignant as the "Sadness Becomes Joy" scene, definitely did get me teary eyed as someone who has had a lifelong battle with the emotion in my day to day life. Move over Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, this movie has a new contender for the title of best depiction of a panic attack in film, animated or otherwise.

I'm a bit let down that so much of the score is just remixes of the original tracks, but the remixes are great and those original tracks are absolute bangers and some of the all time best in Pixar's musical portfolio, so I can't complain that much. I think the original is one of the few scores that actively works as an album listening experience, so this one is a bit of a step down in that department but not a lot to significantly drag down the movie for me.

As far as Pixar's recent output goes, I think Luca pulls the bigger emotional punches and feels a bit fresher as what is essentially Pixar's take on a Ghibli style "vibes" movie, but Inside Out 2 is definitely the most consistently entertaining movie Pixar has put out since Coco bar none. As much as I love Luca I'm really not crazy about the whole "sea monster sheep herders" world building in the first act and the movie takes a while to get going because of that. Once it gets to Porto Rosso it becomes one of my all time favorite Pixar movies, but that's almost halfway through the run time.

TheOriginalTiki

Also can we please talk about how insane it is that Guardians of the Galaxy and Moana got Epcot attractions before Inside Out?? If there's ANY IP that feels absolutely tailor made for a specific park, it's this one and Epcot. The fact that nothing's even on the drawing board for it is utterly mind-blowing. It just fits the vibes of the park like a damn puzzle piece.

TheOriginalTiki

Going to highly recommend "Tuesday" to anyone who is into A24 Arthouse Horror. It's got some real Ari Aster energy to it. I'll give a more detailed review once I get around to seeing a few more June releases. Between this, Inside Out 2, and The Hitman, this month is already the best roster of 2024 releases by a considerable margin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom