The Imagineering Forum Encyclopedia: Years 2013 - 2017

Disney Dad 3000

Happy you liked it! And I agree -- tons of great talented people, I'm looking forward to 2018!

Thanks for doing this. Easy way to scan back over all that was done this year. Seems like some of that stuff was just yesterday. So many large and small scale projects visiting new and old concepts.
The forum will have its work cut out for it in 2018 to top it. And I have some research to do for GMR2.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Thanks for doing this. Easy way to scan back over all that was done this year. Seems like some of that stuff was just yesterday. So many large and small scale projects visiting new and old concepts.
The forum will have its work cut out for it in 2018 to top it. And I have some research to do for GMR2.
GMR2 nice! Will it have to be called Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway Competition?:p

This idea just came to me -- would anybody be interested in seeing a Year in Review type thread for older content as well?

Maybe not right this moment but sometime in 2018 to go back and catalog past years like 2013 - 2016 or something like that. Back in the day there used to be appendix threads, but they only covered the competitions, and a lot of the old personal projects/brainstorming threads have been lost in the abyss.

Poe Dameron

GMR2 nice! Will it have to be called Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway Competition?:p

This idea just came to me -- would anybody be interested in seeing a Year in Review type thread for older content as well?

Maybe not right this moment but sometime in 2018 to go back and catalog past years like 2013 - 2016 or something like that. Back in the day there used to be appendix threads, but they only covered the competitions, and a lot of the old personal projects/brainstorming threads have been lost in the abyss.
That would be great.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I'd love to see that!

BigThunder26

August 2017

Open Brainstorming Concepts
Zootopia in Animal Kingdom

By @BigThunder26
latest

BigThunder26 presented the concept of a Zootopia train replacement for the Wildlife Express train to Rafiki's Planet Watch in Disney's Animal Kingdom. An interesting and possibly realistic proposal - it might be something to explore going into the brainstorming season of 2018!

Link to full concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/an-idea-so-insane-it-just-might-work.930556/
I'm touched that you mentioned me! But, truth be told, I have heard the Zootopia train concept tossed around on these forums before; I was trying to talk more about the rail line to the hotel so that the Wildlife Express Trains could still run. Even so, thank you so much!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I'm touched that you mentioned me! But, truth be told, I have heard the Zootopia train concept tossed around on these forums before; I was trying to talk more about the rail line to the hotel so that the Wildlife Express Trains could still run. Even so, thank you so much!
My pleasure!

And based on the feedback - expect some past years in review coming soon! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Might have noticed that there is a new title to this thread! Based on the feedback and responses, @AceAstro and I (Space n ace) will chronicle the Years 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013 down below. That'll give us 5 years total on this thread.

For future installments -- 2018 and beyond, we could use a separate thread so this one doesn't become a bloated 700+ response thread (maybe another 5 year 2018 - 2022 thread). I centered around 2013 as the furthest year back in time, mainly because that was the year the forum truly became something to chronicle. Before that, there were several one off threads and not as much activity as there is currently. So for those years, perhaps another thread sometime in the future chronicling some highlights of the 'wayback' years of the forum (2001 - 2012)

Stay tuned as we will cover 2016 coming up next!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
--2016 Year in Review--
January 2016

Imagineering Competitions
thesoleimagineer-season-2-redemption-island-logo-copy-jpg.124848

Timeline
January 3rd, 2016 - April 20th, 2016
Hosted by @RMichael21 - The Sole Imagineer Season 2 Redemption Island was the follow up to 2015's The Sole Imagineer based on the gameplay of CBS's hit reality-show Survivor. The Redemption Island theme this season utilized a twist developed for the show, in which eliminated contestants would be sent to compete in additional side-projects separate from the main game. The winner of those projects would stay in the game, with hopes of returning to the main game if they continue to win those side-projects each round.

The competition was expanded from 14 contestants to 16 - with two tribes of 8 contestants each.

The Original Tribes
IdOBuOe.png

MonorailRed
spacemt354
tcool123
Ranky64

Sam4D23
Flippin'Flounder

DisneyPrincess1993
Brer Panther

2qmexpj.png

TheOriginalTiki
IDInstitute
Matt7187
WDWGuru
DSquared
englanddg
JokersWild
IAmNotAHufflepuff

Sample Projects

Xanadu by Team Lassetoki
KXCbKIY.png

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...redemption-island.908434/page-12#post-7066427

SeaWorld 50th by Team Blairozah
vryn38.png

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...redemption-island.908434/page-15#post-7093488

The Ocean Pavilion by Team Lassetoki
25361583211_187f2d7f72_k.jpg

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...redemption-island.908434/page-19#post-7115967

At the end of the journey - the final three contestants were IDInstitute, TheOriginalTiki, and the ultimate winner of the competition - @Flippin'Flounder in his first competition win of his armchair imagineering career on wdwmagic!

Link to full competition thread
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-sole-imagineer-season-2-redemption-island.908434/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
January 2016

Personal Projects
Library of London Attraction

By @Imagineerland
london%2Blibrary%2Bplan-01.png

Kicking off 2016 was a concept for the United Kingdom Pavilion in Epcot entitled the Library of London by Imagineerland. With a full write-up linked here - the attraction takes guests through timeless works of classic literature such as A Christmas Carol, The Time Machine, and Sherlock Holmes, located in the back corner of the pavilion.

Link to full concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineerland-library-of-london-attraction-concept.908431/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
January 2016

Personal Projects
Ratatouille - The Musical
By @loucyuk

One of the more unique and impressive personal projects of 2016 came in the first few days of the new year, as loucyuk's original Ratatouille - The Musical, was an immediate smash hit on the forum, and gaining over 115K views on YouTube since its inception.

Link to full concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/concept-for-new-park-musical.908567/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
January 2016

Open Brainstorming Concepts
Improving The Great Movie Ride

By @DisneyManOne
1.3.jpg

A bit of a bittersweet retrospective, in early 2016, DisneyMan began a thread to re-imagine The Great Movie Ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Well, this concept eventually did come true, but not in a way any of us were expecting at the time. Contributing ideas varied from Titanic, the Dark Knight Trilogy, Citizen Kane, and more -- ironically though, nobody mentioned an entire attraction dedicated to Mickey and Minnie. Maybe because we thought that would fit better in Animation Courtyard? ;)

Link to original concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/improving-the-great-movie-ride-open-brainstorming.909052/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
February 2016

Imagineering Competitions
osc_by_tcool123-d9qnu43.png

Timeline
February 19th, 2016 - March 29th, 2016
Hosted by @tcool123 - The One Sentence Competition Season 2 made its triumphant return to form after an almost 3 year hiatus from the forum. In the reboot of the competition, there were a lot of eager competitors ready to play, with a total of 13 contestants for the event.

Due to the popularity of the competition in its initial run, and the ease of participating in short challenges, the decision was made to have the One Sentence Competition Season 2 be broken up into several episodes throughout the year, with this marking 'Episode 1' and additional episodes coming later in the year.

This would mark a turning point in the competition format -- that still holds up to this day!

Episode 1 Final Standings
1. spacemt354
2. RMichael21
3. Flippin' Flounder
4. Matt7187
5. Brer Panther
6. IAmNotAHufflepuff
7. deere839
8. unkadug
9. mharrigton
10. Doodlyday
13T. IDInstitute
13T. mickeyfan5534
13T. MA Screamin'

Sample project by @deere839
Prompt #4 - Expansion Pad between Pandora and Africa
This new Land will be based in the north and south poles with ice and water all around you as your station in the arctic. This New Boat ride attraction will slowly move around the arctics From Polar Bears to penguins you will see them all on this 40 min boat ride.as you exit the ride your station in the arctic with a new restaurant to a new gift shop.you will also be able to see animals out side the ride in there natural habitat like the rein deer to the snowy owl.it will also be the world coldest ride with some rooms going under 40 degrees.

qxUfNpj.png

Link to full competition thread
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-weekends-one-sentence-competition-season-2.909945/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
February 2016

Personal Projects
The Disneyland Brazil Resort

By @mickeyfan5534
main-qimg-727204181130d9e355861099617a80c8

In a similar fashion to the hard-working, ever evolving personal projects from folks such as orlando678-, DisneyManOne, MANEATINGWREATH, mickeyfan5534 began his quest for a personal Disneyland in Brazil - that we will come bac to later on in our 2016 review as the concept ended with mickeyfan deciding to enhance and change his original concepts posted here.

Link to full concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-disneyland-brazil-resort.909446/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
February 2016

Personal Projects
what-if-season-2-logo-jpg.130611

By @DSquared
What If... is a thread concept stared by DSquared in late 2015 that returned for a Season 2 in early 2016, and lasted throughout most of the year. Essentially, the premise of it is that DSquared would present concepts that he would like to see in Disney Parks, and then showcase illustrations and descriptions detailing 'what if...' they actually happened. It was an innovative thread that had a decent following on the forum throughout its tenure.

Link to full concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/what-if-season-2.909676/

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
February 2016

Personal Projects
Disneyland in Gold Coast Revival

Leader2_Disneyland.jpg

By @Twilight_Roxas
In an attempt to revive an old Disneyland Gold Coast concept, Twilight with assistance from @Keyblade Jedi , went through and detailed his thoughts for the future resort, including places such as Walt Avenue, Adventure Isle, Frontier Peak, Victoria Square, Star Wars land, Fantasyland, Marvel City, Tomorrowland

Link to full concept:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disneyland-in-gold-coast-revival.909574/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom