The Imagineering Break Room

spacemt354

Chili's
You may be onto something. There's obviously no way it would fit with the current mission statement, but if they do it right and don't cheapen out it could be really something with a new theme. I'm pretty optimistic, but it truly is bittersweet. :)
I'm good with every announcement except one lol. I'm ticked at the Great Movie Ride. I mean...what the heck:confused: Closing it August 13th? Thank goodness we rode that one last time. :(

Suchomimus

I'm good with every announcement except one lol. I'm ticked at the Great Movie Ride. I mean...what the heck:confused: Closing it August 13th? Thank goodness we rode that one last time. :(
I have mixed feelings on that, much like the most of D23's announcements for the resorts. While it is nice to see a new attraction starring Mickey, it is unfortunate that the last attraction that's been at Hollywood Studios (MGM when it was first opened) since opening day has to be on the chopping block for it. I was hoping that Disney would announce something fresh, something original, something that isn't exactly from the rumor mill. Much like the UoE retheme, I'm not angry, just disappointed.

spacemt354

Chili's
I have mixed feelings on that, much like the most of D23's announcements for the resorts. While it is nice to see a new Mickey ride, it is unfortunate that the last attraction that's been at the park since opening day has to be on the chopping block. Much like the UoE retheme, I'm not angry, just disappointed.
I wish the Mickey ride took over Star Wars Launch Bay and anchored Animation Courtyard. I like the idea of the Mickey ride, but it's rumored to do what Winnie the Pooh did to Toad and shrink the size of the ride, leaving empty show building space:grumpy:

Having just ridden it and not in a while, GMR is really the last Disney ride that takes its time through long form storytelling similar to World of Motion and Horizons, and actually keeps your attention unlike Energy which I'm indifferent on closing. My guess is the Mickey ride will be shorter, but the one positive is I would like to see an AA Mickey with today's tech. That should be pretty cool.

Suchomimus

but it's rumored to do what Winnie the Pooh did to Toad and shrink the size of the ride, leaving empty show building space:grumpy:
squidward-quotes-easier2.jpg

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Something that Walt Disney did when he made the first theme park was truly made a 5 sensory experience. Something never before seen.

For me, the sound aspect, the score, what I am trying to say is that there is something about a good soundtrack that pushes the boundaries of limitations, and crosses you into an immersive world. I'm not talking about blasting Jurassic Park's theme at IOA like Uni does, but incorporate music in a way that inspires. Rides from Indiana Jones Adventure to Splash Mountain kill this. But there is one completely original score that blows my mind. It's not surprising that I adore Pirates of the Caribbean and Soarin'... but Ellen's Energy Adventure is by far my favorite of all time.

As insane as this sounds I began to listen to this track again, and I honestly shed some tears earlier today. The fact that this attraction will be wiped off the face of the Earth for me is in a way terrifying? And believe me when I say it needed to go -- IT DID, but at the same time, it has had some effect on me since I was a toddler. Somehow it has always been one of my favorite rides since that time of my life, I don't fully understand why. And recently as I do love The Guardians Of The Galaxy, I was really in favor of this, and I still am. It just stings a bit. I never got to see the original EPCOT Center like many of you, but I don't doubt that it once was the best in the world, and would be the best way to go today. For better or for worse, the original model of EPCOT Center's sponsorships does not work as well as it used to, so I hope they have appropriate uses of IPs like Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySea.

I hope with a passion that they do not forget this epic sweeping soundtrack. That is all I really want Disney to do. Salvaging the Dinos for WDWRR's very own Primeval World would be awesome, but to me, the strange connection I have with that ride will be hard to look past. I highly recommend you listen from beginning to end especially from 4:15 onward. It's in no way for everyone, but there is just something about it. There are are these 10 second periods throughout where you are just amazed. To me that's what EPCOT is about, and how they should strive to make EPCOT 2.0.

It's been a great run, but I understand that it is time. Goodbye Bill Nye, bye Ellen! And how could we forget Alex Trebek and Judy!:D Thank you for leaving an impact on me and many others. And most importantly, thank you Imagineers for creating this outdated masterpiece.

And let this be a bittersweet beginning, a new chapter of the achievements of man; from the dawn of history until the time of tomorrow, and finding our next adventure, around the world.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
I wish the Mickey ride took over Star Wars Launch Bay and anchored Animation Courtyard. I like the idea of the Mickey ride, but it's rumored to do what Winnie the Pooh did to Toad and shrink the size of the ride, leaving empty show building space:grumpy:

Having just ridden it and not in a while, GMR is really the last Disney ride that takes its time through long form storytelling similar to World of Motion and Horizons, and actually keeps your attention unlike Energy which I'm indifferent on closing. My guess is the Mickey ride will be shorter, but the one positive is I would like to see an AA Mickey with today's tech. That should be pretty cool.
Even with my post above, I am glad they are closing Energy. GMR is what has made all of these announcements for me have a dark cloud above them.

So many good things and the Mickey ride (minus the bad name) seems like it will be super fun, but GMR will be a true loss to the park.

Disney Dad 3000

I have mixed feelings on that, much like the most of D23's announcements for the resorts. While it is nice to see a new attraction starring Mickey, it is unfortunate that the last attraction that's been at Hollywood Studios (MGM when it was first opened) since opening day has to be on the chopping block for it. I was hoping that Disney would announce something fresh, something original, something that isn't exactly from the rumor mill. Much like the UoE retheme, I'm not angry, just disappointed.

We had our semi last minute trip down a few weeks back partly to ride the GMR. I was worried it wouldn't last until our trip right after Labor Day. One of those things you know is coming but it still sucks when it happens. I've tried to be as open minded as possible about it and shove nostalgia and my love for movies to the side. Doing that though I still will not or never understand this move. I get some old rides from MK being removed over time, as much as I disliked the decisions at the time, but this will just always boggle my mind.

It needs updating and work, and is probably more expensive to run then they want. That being said, it was an opening day attraction that was relevant then and even with all the changes to the park could still be a perfect fit, both in placement in the theater, and the park but taking you briefly inside of some great films. Can't tell you how many times we had first timers near us that got freaked out not knowing Alien was coming, or immersed themselves in Oz, or just stared bright eyed like me at all the sets.

I think what makes it worse is what's going in, for me at least. A Mickey ride is long overdue, and with what they are doing, sounds interesting. But the Mickey shorts version? I think the shorts are fairly well done for what they are, but don't think they warrant being the representative of a Mickey Ride.

D Hulk

We just ate at goofys kitchen. Current plans are fast passes for racers and then standby on soar in!
Fastpass Mission: Breakout as soon as it's available after your RSR Fastpass. Keep that up with other DCA FP rides throughout the day, and you should be able to accomplish everything easily. (Especially now that TSMM has FP; used to be my ropedrop ride.) Have a great day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom