Trip Report The I'm Ditching the Spreadsheets....an Unrecognizable Trip!

We arrived home around 10pm last night from our Disney vacation. The planning for this trip started in March, but by September it was not even close to the original. So how did it all turn out? Did I make the correct decisions? Was this trip as hectic as the last one? Should I have cancelled so many dining reservations? Did we miss too much because upon arrival I decided to rip up the spread sheets..the same ones that I so painstakingly obsessed over?! I'm thinking about all of this as I am attempting to organize my 609,504,302 photos.

There were a few hiccups, including my Etsy order not arriving in time, sprinting to the Magical Express just as the doors closed, leaving our Elf on the Shelf in the room after check out, getting stuck on a ride, a missing boat captain, broken ornaments, and a horrible 3 hour lunch. All in all it was an amazing trip. I do not regret the decision to change from the original plans, or the second, or the 3rd, or even the plans I had when we were on the plane heading to Orlando. I decided to throw out most of them and take a (semi) wing it approach. :)

Last edited:

Asian2000

Hello! You're trip report is so fun!! I have a quick question for you... did T get the Mickey ears and the sword as part of his pirate cruise? I have two boys doing it on our next trip and I had no idea what kind of treasures they get. Thank you!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
Hello! You're trip report is so fun!! I have a quick question for you... did T get the Mickey ears and the sword as part of his pirate cruise? I have two boys doing it on our next trip and I had no idea what kind of treasures they get. Thank you!!!

Yes! The Mickey ears, sword, and bag full of treasure. It really is adorable! The kids all get pirate names written on their arm band and waters. They are provided with a snack while on the boat as well. They go all over seven seas Lagoon and bay lake with stops along the way.. that's what I'm posting next, we rented a boat and T tried to recreate their path to show me everything.lol

If you have time definitely do the Pirate's League at MK as well (if you haven't yet)! It was neat, the kids get an official letter signed by Jack Sparrow declaring them a Pirate Apprentice. I had originally booked the makeup/costume session, but cancelled it a few days before. I just didn't think we could fit it in. The experience was still great without it.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Ok, Pirate Cruise ✔

T wanted to swim, but I wasn't going for that. We would have a late night at MK and I needed him to stay awake for it. I thought swimming would take too much energy from him.

We ordered a take out out lunch from the Grand Floridian Cafe (I love that their breakfast items are available at lunchtime!) and decided to eat at the Courtyard Pool so we could play Chess, Table Tennis, and (his favorite) Foosball.

I of course had to order my daily Coco-jito while there. It's a close second to my all time fave - The Spikey Pineapple. Unfortunately a version of this is offered at GF, but no where near as good as Poly's. So I'll settle for the almost equally delicious Coco-jito. ;)

The Chess station was taken, but no worries, he was happy to beat me in Foosball, 3 times. Look at the smug face.
I was the Ping Pong champion though..much to his disappointment. ;)

IMG_0250.JPG

After we finished T requested a sword fight now that he has two swords, so we went back to the room to have a Duel.

Along the way T tried to get next to another bird, but these birds and ducks just won't have it. It's the same story as his numerous attempts to get near the chickens in Key West. He gets so mad that I always laugh when they flee.

IMG_6464.JPG
IMG_6477.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
After being stuck with a plastic sword more times than I can count.. I decided that this would be a good time for T to nap.

Nope. He refused. "Mommy, I'm SIX. I don't take naps. AND we're at Disney! Do you want me to miss everything?"

No, but I want you to stay awake tonight, so lay down and take a rest.

He laid down. He wasn't resting.. he just kept talking...and talking..and talking. When I refused to chat with him he then started singing-
Singing "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow."
Loudly.
and then "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."
Loudly.
A nap was clearly not happening.

I still didn't think it was a good idea to swim, so he suggested that we rent a boat. We love the SeaRaycers and had planned on doing one tomorrow after our parasailing excursion.
We'll just do one today instead. We change clothes, and T is excitedly talking about how he will be our Guide and show me all of the "cool stuff" that they did on the pirate cruise.
We walk to the marina.

Apparently the marina is closed? Hmm. Weird. Ok. Maybe something to do with the sick Captain? I don't know if it was related, but it was odd on such a perfect day.

We head to the launch to hop over to Poly and hope their marina is operating. T wanted photos of himself with the American Flag and the hotel and Monorail behind him, he did his infuriating to me double lip face..and then he had to take a few selfies.

IMG_0251.JPG

**I warned you guys that there would be too many pics in this report ;) I just can't get enough of the monorail in the backdrop.lol. It's one of the few sights that is still the same as when I was a child. Someday I'll make a photo book of my childhood photos and his combined. Much has changed, but some things, especially when on Seven Seas Lagoon, can transport me right back to when I was a 6 year old. I'm also so glad that we went in 2015 and that he was able to enjoy the beaches before the new fence. I've slowly accepted them, but it's definitely a different sight now. **

My favorite beach on property, this was the most jarring to see, but like I said, I've accepted their existence. Also, the swings are all gone from the beaches, but the poles remain.
Not sure if anyone here knows if that's permanent or not. I don't know why they wouldn't remove the entire structure.

IMG_6539.JPG

Enough nostalgic talk..

We arrived at Poly, yay marina is open!
But first T wanted to show me where they found the swords.
I then had to capture a photo of my favorite flower, Hibiscus trees are one of the things I miss most about Florida! I do buy potted ones for my deck in the springtime here..but it's just not the same.
Walking back T stopped to stare longingly at the Volcano Slide...promised him that we would stay here again soon.
We enjoyed the atmosphere, view, and music for a moment and then we went to get our Sea Raycer.

IMG_0252.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
We're walking up to the hut and I notice 2 new looking boats. I inquire about them, and the guy working there says "Yes! They're brand new. We received both of them here at the Polynesian, the Grand Floridian didn't get any new watercraft."

I knew Poly was my fave. ;)

Today was the warmest day of our trip, I'm wearing a Tee & leggings and am comfortable, but kiddo is already complaining about the heat. Sometimes I don't know how we share DNA. He'd be happy snow skiing year round, I hate the cold.lol

The shiny new boats have shade, so we decide to rent one of those in place of an unshaded little Sea Raycer.

Then I'm reminded of what I can't stand, as in severely dislike, about boating at Disney World... tied in degree of dislike-

1. Being connected to the boat by a cord.
1a. Having a camera pointing at my face.
1b. Speed settings.

Ugh. Oh well. I understand it. Gotta idiot proof everything these days.

I sign the form saying that I won't eat, drink, take a selfie, talk on my phone, dock anywhere, swim, leave the boat unattended, let my son drive, disobey no wake zones, or take any photos while in the boat.
Yeah, ok.
I'll only break less than half of the rules ;)

Off we go..

IMG_6552.JPG
IMG_6559.JPG

Last edited:

Ciara

After being stuck with a plastic sword more times than I can count.. I decided that this would be a good time for T to nap.

Nope. He refused. "Mommy, I'm SIX. I don't take naps. AND we're at Disney! Do you want me to miss everything?"

No, but I want you to stay awake tonight, so lay down and take a rest.

He laid down. He wasn't resting.. he just kept talking...and talking..and talking. When I refused to chat with him he then started singing-
Singing "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow."
Loudly.
and then "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."
Loudly.
A nap was clearly not happening.

I still didn't think it was a good idea to swim, so he suggested that we rent a boat. We love the SeaRaycers and had planned on doing one tomorrow after our parasailing excursion.
We'll just do one today instead. We change clothes, and T is excitedly talking about how he will be our Guide and show me all of the "cool stuff" that they did on the pirate cruise.
We walk to the marina.

Apparently the marina is closed? Hmm. Weird. Ok. Maybe something to do with the sick Captain? I don't know if it was related, but it was odd on such a perfect day.

We head to the launch to hop over to Poly and hope their marina is operating. T wanted photos of himself with the American Flag and the hotel and Monorail behind him, he did his infuriating to me double lip face..and then he had to take a few selfies.

View attachment 183790

My favorite beach on property, this was the most jarring to see, but like I said, I've accepted their existence. Also, the swings are all gone from the beaches, but the poles remain.
Not sure if anyone here knows if that's permanent or not. I don't know why they wouldn't remove the entire structure.

View attachment 183791

Enough nostalgic talk..

The swings are gone?? I hope that's not permanent :(

21stamps

Original Poster
We rented the boat for 2 hours, but only stayed out about 90 minutes. It was fun, but it took about a half for T to stop asking for me to go faster. The upside to the Sea Raycer is bc of their size they feel a little faster than what they are. With the larger boats, I've had the same issue with a Whaler as well, you feel like you're CRAWLING. I'm a boater, so to be on such a pretty new watercraft, and be going so extremely slow was a little painful. Even worse for T. We (semi) got used to the snail pace, and had a great time taking in all of the sites, as well as T directing me and telling me Pirate tales about the different islands.

I can not decide which photos to share..
So be ready my friends...
You're about to get bombarded with a bunch..and I mean A LOT.
Sorry.

I tried to get some good shots of the Cabin construction at Wilderness Lodge,
Discovery Island,
and I also wanted to point out the Shoe Tree. I've never noticed it before! T was excited to show me- it's where Pirate's get their shoes!

IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Am I the only one who never noticed this before??? @epcotisbest , did you know about this? How long has it been around?

IMG_6603.JPG
IMG_6606.JPG

And..we're back. I can finally detach myself from the annoying cord!!
I did follow the rule of T not driving, mainly because of the camera pointed directly at me ;). So I did allow him to sit in the captain's seat after I docked.

IMG_6710.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
The time is now close to 4pm. We stop at Captain Cook's for 2 chicken and pineapple sandwiches to bring back to GF, and hop on the monorail to get back to the room-luckily it arrived within seconds. We have Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tonight!

This is a horrible photo of the orchestra, but it's the only one I took :(. It was so nice to walk in to the music playing.

IMG_0259.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
I may have mentioned this already, but I have never been to WDW during the Christmas holidays..not once in 30something years of visiting. This visit is only #2 for my son, so he's obviously never been.

Needless to say- I am Very Excited for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!!!

But we're late!! Ok, not late for the party, but late for a FP.
It's 5:01 and we have each just showered and we're finishing up with our primping.
I'm not so sure if we're going to make Space Mountain.

IMG_6722.PNG

We had picked out Ugly Christmas Sweaters for tonight. As I said earlier though, kiddo thought the weather was quite warm, so he was not about to wear a sweater.

I took it with us because I know it will cool off later. I'm comfortable in mine now, with a tee shirt underneath. Again, we're so opposite in our hot/cold tolerance.lol

We finish getting ready and scurry to the monorail. We're in luck again!!! One pulled up just as we walked out! I definitely didn't have any issues with the monorail on this trip! Within just a few short minutes-

We're Here!!!

IMG_0264.JPG

T's eyes are closed...but I'm THRILLED that the train is in the background! Can't have everything I guess ;)

We need to get to Space Mountain asap. No time to look at Main Street and take it all in. We're 10 minutes late! But wait- 1 more photo first. Priorities. ;)

IMG_0265.JPG

epcotisbest

We rented the boat for 2 hours, but only stayed out about 90 minutes. It was fun, but it took about a half for T to stop asking for me to go faster. The upside to the Sea Raycer is bc of their size they feel a little faster than what they are. With the larger boats, I've had the same issue with a Whaler as well, you feel like you're CRAWLING. I'm a boater, so to be on such a pretty new watercraft, and be going so extremely slow was a little painful. Even worse for T. We (semi) got used to the snail pace, and had a great time taking in all of the sites, as well as T directing me and telling me Pirate tales about the different islands.

I can not decide which photos to share..
So be ready my friends...
You're about to get bombarded with a bunch..and I mean A LOT.
Sorry.

I tried to get some good shots of the Cabin construction at Wilderness Lodge,
Discovery Island,
and I also wanted to point out the Shoe Tree. I've never noticed it before! T was excited to show me- it's where Pirate's get their shoes!

View attachment 183815 View attachment 183817 View attachment 183818
View attachment 183819
View attachment 183820

Am I the only one who never noticed this before??? @epcotisbest , did you know about this? How long has it been around?

View attachment 183821 View attachment 183824

And..we're back. I can finally detach myself from the annoying cord!!
I did follow the rule of T not driving, mainly because of the camera pointed directly at me ;). So I did allow him to sit in the captain's seat after I docked.

View attachment 183829

That shoe tree has been there for as long as we have been going. If it is the one I am thinking of it is over past Wilderness Lodge near Fort Wilderness where the old water park, River Country, used to be.
Retiring boat Captains or cast members who are leaving tie their shoestrings together then toss the shoes in the tree as a way to leave a little bit of themselves behind when they leave or retire. Or at least that is what I understand.

21stamps

Original Poster
That shoe tree has been there for as long as we have been going. If it is the one I am thinking of it is over past Wilderness Lodge near Fort Wilderness where the old water park, River Country, used to be.
Retiring boat Captains or cast members who are leaving tie their shoestrings together then toss the shoes in the tree as a way to leave a little bit of themselves behind when they leave or retire. Or at least that is what I understand.

Ha! That's pretty neat. I never knew! Apparently it's a big deal on the pirate adventure cruise.

epcotisbest

Ha! That's pretty neat. I never knew! Apparently it's a big deal on the pirate adventure cruise.

I think it is really cool that your son took you over and shared with you what he had seen and done earlier. That is some of the quality time we were talking about awhile back. You are making memories that will last a lifetime. We don't have kids, and I never went as a kid, so I have spent quite a few years making up for that.

21stamps

Original Poster
I think it is really cool that your son took you over and shared with you what he had seen and done earlier. That is some of the quality time we were talking about awhile back. You are making memories that will last a lifetime. We don't have kids, and I never went as a kid, so I have spent quite a few years making up for that.

It sounds like you're doing a great job of it on your trips!
I appreciated your feedback and suggestions so much during my planning. Most people I know are park/pool/mini golf, some do regular golf, then back to a park. I'm glad that I decided against park hopping during the trip..there really is so much to do outside of the parks. I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but most of our best quality time and "Magic" was not inside one of the theme parks.
The first 4 nights we were back at the hotel by 8pm or earlier. Just hanging out at the resort was such a good time.

21stamps

Original Poster
Arrived at Space Mountain at 5:25

Our FP still worked!!!

IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6736.JPG

My kid does NOT walk on moving walkways. He just won't. He stands and waits to be moved. It's minorly infuriating, especially when I'm a super fast walker, but it is what it is. He won't move.
If you see him. Veer to the Left. Don't get stuck...if you do- You'll be there for quite some time.

Next Up for our 2nd FP- The Jingle Cruise!
We have been looking forward to this one!
It oddly was not quite what we expected.

I've been on the Jungle Cruise before, kiddo never has. We were even more excited that it would have a Christmas twist that I've been reading about.

So here's what happened-

We get on our boat and settle in. It was packed full and we were in the very back.
The announcer must have been having technical difficulties because we could barely hear her.
A woman across from us calls out "We can't hear you"
The announcer says "Ok. So I'll stop."

Wait, What?! The ride just started.

Everyone looked at each other a little bewildered. Someone up at the front asked what was going on.

The announcer just stood there, stoic, not facing us.

An odd and uncomfortable tension could be felt. We all sat there for the remainder of the ride. We passed other boats and could hear other announcers telling jokes and all of the occupants laughing and having a good time.

We were just sitting. Staring. All kind of shocked.

We get back to the front and the announcer finally speaks!!! She turns towards us and says "Now get out."

This is part of the script, but T didn't know that. He says "Hurry Mommy, she said get out, and I don't like this ride. Let's go."

I told him that it was a joke. Which would have made more sense to him if it wasn't the only thing she's said since about a minute after we boarded.lol. He just gave me a side eye and says in a yeah whatever voice "Oh ok."

There were quite a few angry passengers, and I felt sorry for the clueless to the situation CMs who got bombarded after we all disembarked.

It was by far the strangest thing I have ever experienced at WDW. Ever.

Guess she was having a bad night.

We weaved our way thru the complaining herd and booked it to The Speedway. I am a little curious to know what happened to that CM, maybe an announcer position isn't the best for her, hopefully she got moved to a more appropriate spot. As for T, he doesn't care to go on the Jungle Cruise again, but I'll make sure to take him and I know he'll enjoy it. At the very least the experience tonight will be a funny "remember when" when he's older.lol

IMG_6743.JPG
IMG_6748.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
@epcotisbest I think I'm having technical difficulties.. your post is gone. I was trying to reply..refreshed..and it's gone. i don't know if you accidentally deleted it..or if it's on my end.. but I'm going to try and reply from memory..

That story was amazing! I think sitting at a bus stop and spontaneously deciding you'll go to whatever park the next one takes you to, is by far the best Disney story I have ever heard!
I wish I could do that.
I think you and your wife have the Disney Magic figured out :)

I agree that there is so much enjoyment to be had when just taking it slow. I over did it last years for sure, and when both of us look back at that trip, most of our favorite memories involve the pool and slide.

We didn't do "everything" at MK this year, even with 4 Days at Magic Kingdom...but I was ok with that. We did partial days and just enjoyed some non structured time.

What you said about visiting other places was true as well, just because you can do something at home doesn't mean that it won't be special when on vacation. For me it is the time that is spent with your family, riding a bike at WDW is a memory that's a bit different than riding at a park at home. That kind of time can be such a great balance to the parks.

I don't know if we'll park hop anytime soon..and if we ever do it would maybe be once per trip. I'm definitely glad that I chose not to on this recent one.

epcotisbest

@epcotisbest I think I'm having technical difficulties.. your post is gone. I was trying to reply..refreshed..and it's gone. i don't know if you accidentally deleted it..or if it's on my end.. but I'm going to try and reply from memory..

That story was amazing! I think sitting at a bus stop and spontaneously deciding you'll go to whatever park the next one takes you to, is by far the best Disney story I have ever heard!
I wish I could do that.
I think you and your wife have the Disney Magic figured out :)

I agree that there is so much enjoyment to be had when just taking it slow. I over did it last years for sure, and when both of us look back at that trip, most of our favorite memories involve the pool and slide.

We didn't do "everything" at MK this year, even with 4 Days at Magic Kingdom...but I was ok with that. We did partial days and just enjoyed some non structured time.

What you said about visiting other places was true as well, just because you can do something at home doesn't mean that it won't be special when on vacation. For me it is the time that is spent with your family, riding a bike at WDW is a memory that's a bit different than riding at a park at home. That kind of time can be such a great balance to the parks.

I don't know if we'll park hop anytime soon..and if we ever do it would maybe be once per trip. I'm definitely glad that I chose not to on this recent one.

No, no problems on your side. I was sitting here watching the game last night, and posted a long, rambling response. I reread it and realized I did not want to hijack your thread or take away from your very fun trip report. I just deleted that post as I did not want to interfere with your trip report.
Bottom line is best thing that ever happened for us at WDW was when we slowed down and realized that less really is more. Maybe we have taken our slow down policy to the extreme, but we don't miss the days of trying to do as much as possible at all.

21stamps

Original Poster
No, no problems on your side. I was sitting here watching the game last night, and posted a long, rambling response. I reread it and realized I did not want to hijack your thread or take away from your very fun trip report. I just deleted that post as I did not want to interfere with your trip report.
Bottom line is best thing that ever happened for us at WDW was when we slowed down and realized that less really is more. Maybe we have taken our slow down policy to the extreme, but we don't miss the days of trying to do as much as possible at all.

Ha ha. No it's not hijacking. I'm glad for something to break up the monotony of the 8million photos.lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom