Trip Report The I'm Ditching the Spreadsheets....an Unrecognizable Trip!

We arrived home around 10pm last night from our Disney vacation. The planning for this trip started in March, but by September it was not even close to the original. So how did it all turn out? Did I make the correct decisions? Was this trip as hectic as the last one? Should I have cancelled so many dining reservations? Did we miss too much because upon arrival I decided to rip up the spread sheets..the same ones that I so painstakingly obsessed over?! I'm thinking about all of this as I am attempting to organize my 609,504,302 photos.

There were a few hiccups, including my Etsy order not arriving in time, sprinting to the Magical Express just as the doors closed, leaving our Elf on the Shelf in the room after check out, getting stuck on a ride, a missing boat captain, broken ornaments, and a horrible 3 hour lunch. All in all it was an amazing trip. I do not regret the decision to change from the original plans, or the second, or the 3rd, or even the plans I had when we were on the plane heading to Orlando. I decided to throw out most of them and take a (semi) wing it approach. :)

Last edited:

Courtney6682

Now, back to your TR.
1. Excellent adventure on the Jingle Cruise lol...!? Not funny tho that T thought she was serious about kicking you out....poor guy
2. Root beer floats on Main Street are a tradition for us! So yummy!
3. Do you have a pic of both of you in your ugly sweaters?

21stamps

Original Poster
Now, back to your TR.
1. Excellent adventure on the Jingle Cruise lol...***!? Not funny tho that T thought she was serious about kicking you out....poor guy
2. Root beer floats on Main Street are a tradition for us! So yummy!
3. Do you have a pic of both of you in your ugly sweaters?

1. I know, right?!lol
2. I don't like root beer.
3. I hope so..but I'm not sure...haven't seen one yet. Maybe a selfie, I don't think I got a photo pass pic :(

21stamps

Original Poster
Continuing on with MVMCP..

It's now 9:40pm. The party started at 7. The party that I was so excited about, the one where I printed off tips, tricks, maps, food offerings, show info, etc to study before we went. The same one in which we were going to meet special rare characters, and I had a map in my hand telling me about all of the entertainment offerings.

Well, besides my perpermint sundae, and 1 time stopping to get cookies and hot chocolate, we hadn't done any of it. Holiday Wishes is going to start soon, but we decide to walk over to Big Thunder Mountain to check out the wait time and possibly ride.

See theses little gems along the way. We stopped and listened for a few minutes..
(Sorry for the blurry photos, I recorded a video using Facebook Live. Not the best idea when the signal keeps going in and out)

IMG_0375.JPG

Then a man in the most awesome hat ever walks by.. T declared it a must have. I'll find one for next Christmas season.lol.

IMG_0374.JPG

And then this girl danced directly in front of us for the remainder of the set. I wish I could borrow some of her energy and give it to T! She was having a great time.. and then there's my son, he's starting to fade. :(

IMG_0372.JPG

He said he couldn't stand anymore and sat down. Eyes blinking and head dipping. No!! You can't fall asleep!!! We have Holiday Wishes and a Parade still to go!!!

IMG_0373.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm going to pause from MVMCP for a moment and take you all back in time to my 2015 trip. (I wish I would have done a TR on that over ambitious week lol)

So anyway, September 2015. My son's first time ever at Disney World, and his first time at the Magic Kingdom.. I was so excited for him. Wanted him to see, taste, experience everything! Every single thing that I have done in my lifetime, plus all of the new things that have arrived since my last visit in 2009.

6:30am. Wake up it's going to be a magical day!
We're going to a breakfast. Eat. ✔
Then straight to MK. ✔
I ran that poor kid from one side of the park to the other.. on his first day, like this-
Space Mountain ✔
No we can't Pause to look around Tomorrowland- we need to speed walk to Big Thunder Mountain! ✔
No we can't hang out in Frontierland, we need to make our FP for Mine Train. ✔
No we can't look around Fantasyland, we have to (literally) run to our Crystal Palace reservation ✔
Hurry run back to the FP Kiosk! ✔
No, don't stop on the bridge. We have a FP for the tea cups. ✔

Ok now we can jump on the Launch for a Resort Break. ✔
Swim for 2 hours. ✔
Shower. ✔
Get dressed. ✔

Hurry! We're going to be late for our BOG reservation! Walk faster! We can't miss the boat! Pick up the pace..the dock's right there! ✔
Speedwalk dodging strollers and scooters down Main Street ✔
BOG ✔

Repeat the same as before. (just insert different attractions and more FP kiosks) ✔✔✔✔

Now it's time for the Main Street Electrical Parade!!! You're going to love it T!!! It's one of my childhood faves, and quite possibly the most nostalgia inducing in all of WDW.

Parade starts.

T falls asleep.
On the first float.

I shake him. I beg him to stay awake.
He doesn't want to miss this!!!

I cry because he's missing this wonderful Parade.

He won't wake up.

MSEP- No check. Not for T.

Ok. I'll hold him for a few minutes. He'll get some energy before Wishes for sure!!!

Wishes starts. He looks for a moment and then falls asleep.

NOOOOOO!!!! I planned the PERFECT DAY!! Perfect!! Why is this happening? Why is he asleep?? How is he asleep???

Maybe because I just ran a 5 year old on some crazy kind of mad chase around MK. Never stopping to breathe. Maybe because he should have had a nap. Or at least a rest.

Mega Fail.
--------------

So how does this pertain to our 2016 trip?

I started to feel badly that I didn't force the Nap thing more. Maybe we shouldn't have rented a boat. He's going to be asleep for Holiday Wishes and the Christmas Parade!!
It's happening again :(

Sugar. Sugar may fix this.
(If you knew me this would be a little more funny)
The only "junk food" that you will ever find in our pantry is-
Kale Chips.
Seaweed Chips.
Pita and Hummus.

I (obviously) cheat when we are out though.

I'm now on a mission for sugar like I've never imagined. I stop and get him a frozen lemonade. Roasted peanuts. Cupcake.

Ok kiddo! Eat and drink the sugar! Please!

Yes, I realize that I am a crazy woman at this point.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

When I refused to chat with him he then started singing-
Singing "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow."
Loudly.

That is so cute and funny! You cannot get mad when your kids do such adorable things. COP has to be my kids 2nd most favorite ride next to The People Mover, or as my kids call it "The Blue Train". My kids will also break out singing "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", at the most odd of times. I love it!

21stamps

Original Poster
That is so cute and funny! You cannot get mad when your kids do such adorable things. COP has to be my kids 2nd most favorite ride next to The People Mover, or as my kids call it "The Blue Train". My kids will also break out singing "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", at the most odd of times. I love it!
It was cute. Frustrating. But adorable.
I couldn't be mad.lol

I love that your kids sing it too!

21stamps

Original Poster
T did consume a bit of the massive amounts of sugar that I set in front of him.
So now that I've basically drugged my own child-
He's awake!
Big Thunder Mountain was too long of a wait so we scratched that idea.

IMG_0379.JPG

One more spin on the carpets before we head to the Castle..
Oh zombie face did appear again. Half zombie face anyway ;)

IMG_0378.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
And now... HOLIDAY WISHES!!!

Ok so I've already seen Wishes from our room the past few nights..but this time we would be up close. With the music right in our ears!!! With the people and the smells (and all of the cell phones ;) ) the entire wonderful atmosphere!!!

And the tears came to my eyes again!!
I swear I'm not a crier in real life..only at WDW ;).
Watching Wishes with my son is such a full circle moment. Watching Holiday Wishes- just something amazing. Truly special.

T's response to my tears-
"Mommy, you're soooo WEIRD."

I laugh. He gives me a hug. Life is beautiful.

IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG

Courtney6682

I'm going to pause from MVMCP for a moment and take you all back in time to my 2015 trip. (I wish I would have done a TR on that over ambitious week lol)

So anyway, September 2015. My son's first time ever at Disney World, and his first time at the Magic Kingdom.. I was so excited for him. Wanted him to see, taste, experience everything! Every single thing that I have done in my lifetime, plus all of the new things that have arrived since my last visit in 2009.

6:30am. Wake up it's going to be a magical day!
We're going to a breakfast. Eat. ✔
Then straight to MK. ✔
I ran that poor kid from one side of the park to the other.. on his first day, like this-
Space Mountain ✔
No we can't Pause to look around Tomorrowland- we need to speed walk to Big Thunder Mountain! ✔
No we can't hang out in Frontierland, we need to make our FP for Mine Train. ✔
No we can't look around Fantasyland, we have to (literally) run to our Crystal Palace reservation ✔
Hurry run back to the FP Kiosk! ✔
No, don't stop on the bridge. We have a FP for the tea cups. ✔

Ok now we can jump on the Launch for a Resort Break. ✔
Swim for 2 hours. ✔
Shower. ✔
Get dressed. ✔

Hurry! We're going to be late for our BOG reservation! Walk faster! We can't miss the boat! Pick up the pace..the dock's right there! ✔
Speedwalk dodging strollers and scooters down Main Street ✔
BOG ✔

Repeat the same as before. (just insert different attractions and more FP kiosks) ✔✔✔✔

Now it's time for the Main Street Electrical Parade!!! You're going to love it T!!! It's one of my childhood faves, and quite possibly the most nostalgia inducing in all of WDW.

Parade starts.

T falls asleep.
On the first float.

I shake him. I beg him to stay awake.
He doesn't want to miss this!!!

I cry because he's missing this wonderful Parade.

He won't wake up.

MSEP- No check. Not for T.

Ok. I'll hold him for a few minutes. He'll get some energy before Wishes for sure!!!

Wishes starts. He looks for a moment and then falls asleep.

NOOOOOO!!!! I planned the PERFECT DAY!! Perfect!! Why is this happening? Why is he asleep?? How is he asleep???

Maybe because I just ran a 5 year old on some crazy kind of mad chase around MK. Never stopping to breathe. Maybe because he should have had a nap. Or at least a rest.

Mega Fail.
--------------

So how does this pertain to our 2016 trip?

I started to feel badly that I didn't force the Nap thing more. Maybe we shouldn't have rented a boat. He's going to be asleep for Holiday Wishes and the Christmas Parade!!
It's happening again :(

Sugar. Sugar may fix this.
(If you knew me this would be a little more funny)
The only "junk food" that you will ever find in our pantry is-
Kale Chips.
Seaweed Chips.
Pita and Hummus.

I (obviously) cheat when we are out though.

I'm now on a mission for sugar like I've never imagined. I stop and get him a frozen lemonade. Roasted peanuts. Cupcake.

Ok kiddo! Eat and drink the sugar! Please!

Yes, I realize that I am a crazy woman at this point.

Great post!!!! I LOL'd the whole time. Sorry!

21stamps

Original Poster
Great post!!!! I LOL'd the whole time. Sorry!

Ha ha. I understand laughing at it.
I think back on that trip, or at least the first few days of it, and just think "WTH was I thinking?"
We both had meltdowns the next day.lol

The stuffing his face with sugar thing.. that one I try to excuse myself by thinking of all of the times that he actually has asked for a lot of sugar. We were already eating a ton of junk while there, so I'm not some super crazed terrible mother trying to hype her kid up instead of letting him sleep. I'm justified, right? Just giving him what I know he wants.lol. ;).

Courtney6682

Ha ha. I understand laughing at it.
I think back on that trip, or at least the first few days of it, and just think "WTH was I thinking?"
We both had meltdowns the next day.lol

The stuffing his face with sugar thing.. that one I try to excuse myself by thinking of all of the times that he actually has asked for a lot of sugar. We were already eating a ton of junk while there, so I'm not some super crazed terrible mother trying to hype her kid up instead of letting him sleep. I'm justified, right? Just giving him what I know he wants.lol. ;).

Yeahhhh...that really did sound crazy hectic! But, like you said...you live and learn. Knowing how NOT to do Disney is just as important as knowing HOW to do it. The junk was necessary lol....no judging here

Sillysidewalker

I love this so far. Fellow Buckeye I am kinda jealous you watched THE GAME at Disney. I have three girls and a little man. So far I have only experienced the princess side to WDW. Looking forward to my pirate/Jedi years.

Tony the Tigger

I can't believe the Jingle Cruise situation!! Are you saying she didn't go back around and do the spiel? Wth? That is bold. Makes me wonder if the cast members have an "out" in a situation where a guest becomes belligerent or otherwise out of line, and she misused that in this case.

Skippers shouldn't behave like that. Even if they're having a bad day, or if they're having tech issues, the real draw of the Jungle Cruise is the puns that accompany the animals. No need to pull a Mariah Carey over the tech problems. The show must go on!

Um, what did Mariah ever do to you? ;)

We finish our Main Street stations, then decide (thanks to the handy map telling us about all of the yummy holiday offerings) to hit up the Plaza Ice Cram Parlor for 2 holiday ice creams.

Make that 1. Kiddo apparently just now decides that he doesn't like perpermint, so he chooses a root beer float. We sit and eat at the tables outside, then decide to go meet Jack Skellington. T's still working on his float..gotta get every last bite.

Oh but first we need to stop at a store.. the $15 lightbulb necklace that I just purchased 2 hours earlier stopped working. Instead of buying batteries (I'm not even sure if batteries are sold in the MK? The shop clerk gave me a weird look when I asked.) they just handed us a new one and we were on our way. Awesome!

View attachment 183961

Ran into a photopass photog..

T dabs while a tired Princess photo bombs him..;)

View attachment 183964

Wait, what's this? I was so happy when I noticed this in my MDE!!!!

A photo of me and my son..eyes open..and he's smiling!!!!! Hooray!!!!!

**Tired Princess must have lost her shoes. Anyone find a glass slipper? ;)

View attachment 183965

I don't think I grasp the concept of paying extra for a few hours long party and then spending two of those hours waiting online to take a picture with one character. But it sounds like a lot of people do this!

'm not sure what the group who complained received

I have a friend and DVC member there now who just texted me a story last night, and this is probably the first of several times I'm going to post some version of that story.

She was at BoG for dinner. At some point, her server came and apologized for the food taking "so long." My friend didn't even think it was a long time and said not to worry about it. Then another cast member came out and apologized for it taking a long time, and she assured them that she was fine.

When they brought her dinner, they apologized again and told her they would comp her a dessert. She said that wasn't necessary but thank you, and accepted the dessert.

They then handed her some fast passes, and she said, "Wow, I wasn't even complaining. What do you do for people who complain?"

The CM responded: "A lot less."

Courtney6682

She was at BoG for dinner. At some point, her server came and apologized for the food taking "so long." My friend didn't even think it was a long time and said not to worry about it. Then another cast member came out and apologized for it taking a long time, and she assured them that she was fine.

When they brought her dinner, they apologized again and told her they would comp her a dessert. She said that wasn't necessary but thank you, and accepted the dessert.

They then handed her some fast passes, and she said, "Wow, I wasn't even complaining. What do you do for people who complain?"

The CM responded: "A lot less."

Same exact thing happened to us at PF Chang's a few weeks ago! No fast passes of course, but the waiter and manager both came to us TWICE apologizing for the wait...we said ...we weren't waiting long at all...it was no problem. They packed up TWO free apps for us to take home and then took $20 off the bill! We were shocked but very greatful lol...and a little confused..

Courtney6682

Alright, I need to finish this thing before I forget all of the details! ;). Goal- complete before @Courtney6682 's trip. Let's see if that happens.

Holiday Wishes just ended, 2 hours of MVMCP to go. I'm going to search for pictures and continue on with the report shortly. I still have yet to go through all of my phone and photo pass photos!

Yay! You have 6 days sister!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom