Pre-Trip The "I NEED HELP" Pre-Pre-Trip Report

Okay.
Deep breaths, Nicole.

Inhale, exhale.

Hello, friends. I am Nicole, and I need HELP. After my whining, and begging, and downright temper tantrum-ing, I have finally gotten my boyfriend to agree to a Disney trip! It has been FIVE years since we went to Disney together, and one whole whopping longgggggg 2015 of no Disney for me. But it's a new year... it's 2016, and this little princess is getting her behind to Disney. :)

So, I am thinking of booking Disney from Friday, November 4th to Sunday, November 13th. My birthday is the 5th, and I REALLY want to wake up in the world. I know it's a little bit more expensive to fly out Friday afternoon and pay for an extra night, but I don't think there is any monetary amount that can compare to waking up in Disney on your birthday.

Now here's where you guys come in.

Should I stay at a Value Resort (thinking Art of Animation) or should a spend about 600 bucks more and stay at Port Orleans Riverside?

I really want to go to Universal (don't throw things at me) because I have never been! Do you think 6 days Disney and 2-3 days Universal for a first timer would be appropriate?

Should I book now (please say yes) or should I wait until like 6 months prior which would bring me to the end of April...I know NOTHING about how airline flights work and I've been checking every day on the Disney website. It does seem like Tuesday is the cheapest day for flights for some reason, no clue why!

So my dear fellow Disney obsessed friends, please help me. I will be forever and ever grateful.

DSC00471 by nicole tiffany

Tony the Tigger

You make Riverside sound like a dream! I've stayed at French Quarter and taken the boat, so that definitely was an added perk! I loved French Quarter, it was so intimate, but I really want to give Riverside a try. I've been looking at it and Coronado, and Riverside just seems more my style. Ahhhh decisions! Thank you sooo much for your input!

Coronado seemed much more business oriented – as you probably know, they have conventions there – and also much more spread out. ( although it does have a gym which we actually did use! ) And although I like Mexican food, I liked the food better at the Port Orleans resorts.

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Sooo excited for you ! Waking up at Disney World on your birthday will be the best present EVER!!!
I have never stayed at Art of Animation or Port Orleans Riverside, but from the TRS I've read I think I would choose POR.
I do not know much about airline flights but I think you usually save money booking earlier, so I vote YES to booking now.
Universal is fun. I have only been to IOA and mainly to see Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but am going to USF when my sister and I go in just 15 days! I think 2 or 3 days should be good. Maybe look into express passes but not sure how busy it will be at that time of year.
This is so exciting!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

I can't believe your trip is so soon! Have an amazing time! Thank you for voting yes to booking now :) I knew we were Disney friends for a reason!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Coronado seemed much more business oriented – as you probably know, they have conventions there – and also much more spread out. ( although it does have a gym which we actually did use! ) And although I like Mexican food, I liked the food better at the Port Orleans resorts.

Coronado is always the more expensive so it makes me feel like it must be better! I want to stay there one day, but have been dreaming of Riverside, so ughhhhh!! LOL thanks for the help!!

BuddyThomas

You sound like you are kind of in my boat. Where did you and your bf stay last time? I have a Disney Grinch and I find if I put him in a nicer hotel, he complains less. I have a feeling that the All Stars Resorts are over run with lots of kids and big family groups, etc. and that might not be conducive to a romantic birthday weekend. In full disclosure, I'm considering All Stars for my possible April trip, but that's only because I'm going with a friend and not my partner.

One thought. Have you looked into the Swan or Dolphin? They are considered deluxe and often have really good deals for rooms - plus they are in walking distance of EPCOT and Disney Studios. I've seen deals for less than 200 a night. Thought about staying last time, but ended up at Boardwalk Villas. But take a look - maybe they have a cool deal:
http://www.swandolphin.com/

Anyway, whatever you decide on, have a great time! I hope you get to go. And I hope I do too!

:)

Tony the Tigger

Coronado is "better" on paper because technically it has more amenities than the other moderates. But if you are not going to use them – like the gym – then in practical terms, it makes no difference.

I would definitely stay at Coronado at some point if I were you just to experience another moderate, but having stayed at both Coronado and POR, Coronado left the impression of more straight lines and corporate, if that makes any sense. The rooms are not nicer than other moderates or anything.

@BuddyThomas - unless you don't have a choice (staying in the friend's room?) then I would suggest pop century over All-Stars. 70's building.

DisneyDukie

Election Day is November 8th, again schools are normally closed but voting in a presidential election won't stop people from vacationing to Disney since Absentee Ballots are so easy to use (Make sure you and your boyfriend send in your ballots if you decide to go during this time!)

You are awesome - solid Disney advice and a civic-minded PSA!!!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
You sound like you are kind of in my boat. Where did you and your bf stay last time? I have a Disney Grinch and I find if I put him in a nicer hotel, he complains less. I have a feeling that the All Stars Resorts are over run with lots of kids and big family groups, etc. and that might not be conducive to a romantic birthday weekend. In full disclosure, I'm considering All Stars for my possible April trip, but that's only because I'm going with a friend and not my partner.

One thought. Have you looked into the Swan or Dolphin? They are considered deluxe and often have really good deals for rooms - plus they are in walking distance of EPCOT and Disney Studios. I've seen deals for less than 200 a night. Thought about staying last time, but ended up at Boardwalk Villas. But take a look - maybe they have a cool deal:
http://www.swandolphin.com/

Anyway, whatever you decide on, have a great time! I hope you get to go. And I hope I do too!

:)

I feel the same way about the All-Stars. The whole "food court" vibe just kind of makes me say "meh". The last time I stayed in one I was probably 15 and fit right in! I think if I put my boyfriend in a nicer resort he'll have a better time. I have to pull out all my tricks LOL!

You should look into Pop Century when you go with your friend! I really liked it there, not sure if you've ever stayed! It seems about the same price level as the All Stars..

I will definitely check out the Swan and Dolphin. Thanks for the suggestion! Not sure if this is merely a rumor but I heard you can't do the dining plan if you stay there?

Crossing my fingers, and legs, and toes and eyes.. that we both get to Disney!! :)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Coronado is "better" on paper because technically it has more amenities than the other moderates. But if you are not going to use them – like the gym – then in practical terms, it makes no difference.

I would definitely stay at Coronado at some point if I were you just to experience another moderate, but having stayed at both Coronado and POR, Coronado left the impression of more straight lines and corporate, if that makes any sense. The rooms are not nicer than other moderates or anything.

@BuddyThomas - unless you don't have a choice (staying in the friend's room?) then I would suggest pop century over All-Stars. 70's building.

Thank you. I've been comparing the two for awhile now and just couldn't pick! I watched a video on Port Orleans Riverside and I think in the way they filmed it I felt like I had been transported back in time and became a Southern Belle so I was then pretty much sold. :)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
A5E34684-3AA7-4F66-9200-F8DEE930B354_zpsfxgsjkwr.jpg

I'M GOING TO DISNEY!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom