Pre-Trip The "I NEED HELP" Pre-Pre-Trip Report

Okay.
Deep breaths, Nicole.

Inhale, exhale.

Hello, friends. I am Nicole, and I need HELP. After my whining, and begging, and downright temper tantrum-ing, I have finally gotten my boyfriend to agree to a Disney trip! It has been FIVE years since we went to Disney together, and one whole whopping longgggggg 2015 of no Disney for me. But it's a new year... it's 2016, and this little princess is getting her behind to Disney. :)

So, I am thinking of booking Disney from Friday, November 4th to Sunday, November 13th. My birthday is the 5th, and I REALLY want to wake up in the world. I know it's a little bit more expensive to fly out Friday afternoon and pay for an extra night, but I don't think there is any monetary amount that can compare to waking up in Disney on your birthday.

Now here's where you guys come in.

Should I stay at a Value Resort (thinking Art of Animation) or should a spend about 600 bucks more and stay at Port Orleans Riverside?

I really want to go to Universal (don't throw things at me) because I have never been! Do you think 6 days Disney and 2-3 days Universal for a first timer would be appropriate?

Should I book now (please say yes) or should I wait until like 6 months prior which would bring me to the end of April...I know NOTHING about how airline flights work and I've been checking every day on the Disney website. It does seem like Tuesday is the cheapest day for flights for some reason, no clue why!

So my dear fellow Disney obsessed friends, please help me. I will be forever and ever grateful.

DSC00471 by nicole tiffany

Seanual757

Thank you! I will most likely be using Uber, so I am hoping I can maybe make a 9PM dinner reservation? Thank you so much for estimate! Google maps is not being my friend LOL

I hope your Uber driver is smart and back tracks to either Sand Lake Rd to Apopka Vineland or the Turnpike to the 429 seems out of the way but with I-4 Construction (heavier in the evenings) I-4 is a mess these days. As long as you are in the car no later than 7:15 that gives you enough time between the traffic mess at Universal, I-4, and Buena Visa. Trust me I know I drive daily in the area and it will take me 35 minutes to go 2 miles just to get on the Turnpike in the Universal area.

Last edited:

Seanual757

Okay, so I am in Disney for a total of 9 nights. 6 Disney days, 2 universal. Fly in at 9 PM so this day doesn't count, and leave at 10 AM so this day doesn't really count either.

Disney
9 Table Services
1- Cali Grill (2)
2- Le Cellier (2)
3- Mama Melrose (1)
4- Yak and Yeti (1)
5- Skipper Canteen (1)
6-Ohana (1)

So this totals 8.. got one left over.

9 QS meals,
1- Be Our Guest (1)
2- Flame Tree BBQ (1)
Don't really have any other plans just will decide with what park we are at....

..how the heck am I to eat all this food in this time span? Does this seem like a crazy first world problem to have?

You have it planned nicely great places to eat and a lot of food, I will tell you on the dining plan it seems like that is all you do is eat. We had so name left over snacks from our week we brought a ton home. The quick service meals are great for Breakfast and if you need to knock out some extra grab a Large pizza that takes care of 2 quick service meals at once. Then you need to still grab 2 drinks and desserts as well.

This is what we brought home on our last day so I would suggest stocking up on what you can pack in your carry-on. This was the end of March and we still have all of the M&M's we have not even touched. The good news is even with all of the food we ate I still lost 8 lbs on our trip from all of the walking :)

IMG_5789.JPG

Seanual757

If Uni closes at 7.. what time could I reasonably be at Disney Springs?

With traffic getting out of Universal right at 7 you will get to DS by 8:30-845 depending on construction traffic on Buena Vista as well as I-4. Your two bottle neck areas will be Universal Blvd & Turkey Lake Rd all the way down to Sand Lake, as well as Universal Blvd and I-4, if it was like last night I-4 Westbound was backed up all the way north of Universal to the 535 exit for Disney due to construction and other. This is where going the back way to Disney is a must to avoid I-4.

Seanual757

That's exactly what I was thinking.. You think 9 pm is a safe time pick??

I say yes the later the better just so you can buy yourself enough time. Also keep in mind which day you choose Friday and Saturdays will be your worst days for traffic in and around the Disney area. Feel free to hit me up on PM if you have any other questions we are out and about at Disney 2-3 times a month and I live in the area (20 min from both Disney and Universal) so I have to deal with the areas traffic for both work and at home.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
I say yes the later the better just so you can buy yourself enough time. Also keep in mind which day you choose Friday and Saturdays will be your worst days for traffic in and around the Disney area. Feel free to hit me up on PM if you have any other questions we are out and about at Disney 2-3 times a month and I live in the area (20 min from both Disney and Universal) so I have to deal with the areas traffic for both work and at home.
Thank you so much! I got at 9:15 pm reservation for Monday November 7th.. You think it's alright?

Cowboy Steve

You have it planned nicely great places to eat and a lot of food, I will tell you on the dining plan it seems like that is all you do is eat. We had so name left over snacks from our week we brought a ton home. The quick service meals are great for Breakfast and if you need to knock out some extra grab a Large pizza that takes care of 2 quick service meals at once. Then you need to still grab 2 drinks and desserts as well.

This is what we brought home on our last day so I would suggest stocking up on what you can pack in your carry-on. This was the end of March and we still have all of the M&M's we have not even touched. The good news is even with all of the food we ate I still lost 8 lbs on our trip from all of the walking :)

View attachment 145990
I'd like to know how you lost weight... lol... we walked an average of 8 miles each day and I still came back 5lbs heavier! :D

Cowboy Steve

Stayed away from the good food :D I was disappointed I was aiming for a 10lb weight loss that week.
Well food has been a passion of mine my whole life... lol... and when I was still a firefighter my metabolism could keep up with my love of food. Now that I am retired and getting old... the metabolism is slowing down. So I have had to change my eating habits. But that all goes out the window when I'm at Disney! Let the big dog EAT! ;)

Seanual757

Thank you again! I figured Disney gives me a 15 minute leeway window so if I arrive at 9 to 930 I should be okay.. Let's hope for the best because I gotta use that dang ADR lol

not a problem everything will fall into place you will have a great time just like your trips before. The only downside is you will be ready to plan for your next trip back to the mouse house.

Ciara

If Uni closes at 7.. what time could I reasonably be at Disney Springs?

One thing to note, it takes literally so long to get out of universal o_O The entrance is far from the parks and the buses/taxi area is even further! Plus the area is much smaller than disney and gets crowded quick. If you leave right at closing, everyone else is leaving too making the walk and wait even longer. Uber is a great way to get over to Uni though! Waaaayyy cheaper than any other transportation we looked into. They do have surge pricing when the park opens and closes as well so something to keep in mind!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
One thing to note, it takes literally so long to get out of universal o_O The entrance is far from the parks and the buses/taxi area is even further! Plus the area is much smaller than disney and gets crowded quick. If you leave right at closing, everyone else is leaving too making the walk and wait even longer. Uber is a great way to get over to Uni though! Waaaayyy cheaper than any other transportation we looked into. They do have surge pricing when the park opens and closes as well so something to keep in mind!

Thank you so much! I ended up not
Booking any ADRs on my universal days just so I don't have to worry about anything! Thank you so much for your help... I am a universal Newbie!

Ciara

Thank you so much! I ended up not
Booking any ADRs on my universal days just so I don't have to worry about anything! Thank you so much for your help... I am a universal Newbie!

Our day at uni we ended up ordering pizza hut and having it delivered to the hotel! Haha we were so tired.

I am definitely no expert but i do feel like i have a better idea of it now! I just really remember when walking to and from the front entrance, thinking why is this sooo long? :hilarious:

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Our day at uni we ended up ordering pizza hut and having it delivered to the hotel! Haha we were so tired.

I am definitely no expert but i do feel like i have a better idea of it now! I just really remember when walking to and from the front entrance, thinking why is this sooo long? :hilarious:
You took an uber or taxi to universal right? Where do they drop you off? Am I going to be a lost soul?? Thank you lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom