The "Hurry up and reopen the Adventurers Club Thread" per Lee's request.

SWatsi

I hope this campaign works out for you. And for all of your commitment to the cause I really do hope that it returns. Best of luck everyone!:)

WDWJenn

Does anyone remember...

The Adv.Club used to have a gift shop, and they closed it because it was imposing upon the theme or something like that. So, here's the answer....

Turn the Adv.Club into a dinner theater, reopen the gift shop. And bam... you have compromise. Compromise that will keep the doors open until the Bean-Counters realize that food is out of place, and resort it to its former glory. Call it a learning compromise.

Anyone with me?

I give it a year before things are back to the way we know and love them.

markc

What? The Beancounters arent going to realize food is out of place - quite the opposite. They'll realize that it is through this way that they can keep a steady flow of people in that building and make $$$$. Besides the last few weeks at the Adv Club, it was normally very empty Sun-Wednesday. You solve that problem by turning into a dinner theater thus bringing in a steady cash flow (and more profit most likely since people will now be ordering drinks and food).

The Adv.Club used to have a gift shop, and they closed it because it was imposing upon the theme or something like that. So, here's the answer....

Turn the Adv.Club into a dinner theater, reopen the gift shop. And bam... you have compromise. Compromise that will keep the doors open until the Bean-Counters realize that food is out of place, and resort it to its former glory. Call it a learning compromise.

Anyone with me?

I give it a year before things are back to the way we know and love them.

WDWFigment

Just a thought (maybe not a correct one), but I wouldn't indicate that you're a regular when writing these letters. I think it would be a lot more effective using language such as, "we just got back from our annual trip to WDW and attempted to visit the Adventurers Club, only to find that it was no longer open. We were saddened by this and wonder why this decision was made."

"Regulars", I would imagine, in the bean counters eyes were a reason why the club was not profitable. A lot of regulars have annual passes, aren't buying drinks, and aren't staying on property--in other words, they aren't as valuable of a guest to Disney.

In short, I think letters from annual vi$itors are more powerful than letters from Disney geeks because the former's opinion is more representative of the general park-going public.

As for handwriting versus typing--type it. Handwriting doesn't show any more dedication, it only shows that you are still living in the 1930s. If I were an executive and I got a handwritten letter, all that would come to mind is that this person is sheltered from conventionary technology, meaning their opinion is easier to ignore, since they are unrepresentative of the general population. Additionally, it isn't professional and doesn't take any less time to type and print out a letter.

Just my thoughts. :shrug:

Chape19714

As for handwriting versus typing--type it. Handwriting doesn't show any more dedication, it only shows that you are still living in the 1930s.

But the club is in 1937, so we want to be in the 30s. :hammer:

Besides the fact that CM's from the club specifically stated handwritten.

WDWFigment

Besides the fact that CM's from the club specifically stated handwritten.

Where? Even if they did, it's not their opinion that matters, but rather the opinion of the individuals reading the letters. If the opinions of the AC CM's really mattered I don't think we'd be in this situation in the first place. :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Where? Even if they did, it's not their opinion that matters, but rather the opinion of the individuals reading the letters. If the opinions of the AC CM's really mattered I don't think we'd be in this situation in the first place. :shrug:
Touché

anim1.gif

Chape19714

Well not to get in an argument here, but there's an audio interview with some of the cast on another popular WDW fan site.

I'm going with handwritten because they're the best authority I have to go on, after all they're the closest people to the situation that I've heard anything from. Regardless, we just need everyone to write letters, handwritten or typed.

Captain Hank

I think the main argument for a handwritten letter is that it's more of a time investment than a typed letter. With a typed letter, it's nothing to run off 5 or 6 copies of the same letter, just changing the "To:" line. With a handwritten letter, the entire letter must be re-written, thus demonstrating more of an effort undertaken (and, by extension, the person may care more).

That being said, my handwriting is really awful, so I'll be doing some typing.

WDWFigment

I think the main argument for a handwritten letter is that it's more of a time investment than a typed letter. With a typed letter, it's nothing to run off 5 or 6 copies of the same letter, just changing the "To:" line. With a handwritten letter, the entire letter must be re-written, thus demonstrating more of an effort undertaken (and, by extension, the person may care more).

Good point, I didn't consider that, either.

a2grafix

Better yet, type it up on the computer, change the font type from arial to Courier, AmerType Md BT or something with a typewriter feel to it - and presto you are back in the 1930s.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
What? The Beancounters arent going to realize food is out of place - quite the opposite. They'll realize that it is through this way that they can keep a steady flow of people in that building and make $$$$. Besides the last few weeks at the Adv Club, it was normally very empty Sun-Wednesday. You solve that problem by turning into a dinner theater thus bringing in a steady cash flow (and more profit most likely since people will now be ordering drinks and food).

I actually agree with you that a dinner theater type thing would be a way to increase cash flow at the AC, and I think it could actually work well. Cocktails and munchies on the Zebra Mezzanine at 5:30, characters arrive at 6, and drag everybody down the main salon for more drinks before a new membership ceremony at 6:30, then into the Library (or across to the first floor of what is now BET) for dinner accompanied by the first show of the evening...an elongated introduction and Balderdash Cup. Meanwhile, the club opens up to cover charge guests at 7, with Graves and other characters entertaining them until a new member induction at 8 or so, which is when the dinner finishes up and the club is crowded the whole night. Charge $70 for the dinner package, which includes cover for the night. Charge other patrons $15 cover, which includes one drink.

OK, that my business plan.

I've been grieving about our loss for 10 days now. The AC helped me thru some very tough times. No doubt Disney closed our club because, after all, the real estate was worth more. We NEED more shopping and dining in a recession!! And there's no where else Disney could put THAT. And, their actors cost $7 per hour per head.

They'll be foolish not to reopen in some form but cover/ admission will probably be more like $35. Just my guess.

Thank goodness for UTube !! Walt must be rolling over in his grave.

jt04

It seems like the more energetic members here might be better off pooling their efforts to create an AC-esque type club in Orlando. There is a built in fan base and downtown entertainment is making a comeback with several major projects underway. International Drive/Sand Lake Road might also be viable. Just a thought. Has anyone discussed this?

Mr.EPCOT

It seems like the more energetic members here might be better off pooling their efforts to create an AC-esque type club in Orlando. There is a built in fan base and downtown entertainment is making a comeback with several major projects underway. International Drive/Sand Lake Road might also be viable. Just a thought. Has anyone discussed this?

My friend and I were actually debating this a couple of days ago. We're sure we could come up with great ideas for a new Club, but my sticking point is the emotional attachment that I and so many others have to the existing Adventurers Club. Sure, we could create something new that will probably generate similar feelings in the future, but it still won't be the Adventurers Club. It wouldn't be kungaloosh, Hathaway Browne, hoopla, the Colonel, Emil Bleehall, Samantha Sterling, etc. But my friend thinks if they reopen the Adventurers Club, especially rebuilt in a different location, Disney would ruin it.

jt04

My friend and I were actually debating this a couple of days ago. We're sure we could come up with great ideas for a new Club, but my sticking point is the emotional attachment that I and so many others have to the existing Adventurers Club. Sure, we could create something new that will probably generate similar feelings in the future, but it still won't be the Adventurers Club. It wouldn't be kungaloosh, Hathaway Browne, hoopla, the Colonel, Emil Bleehall, Samantha Sterling, etc. But my friend thinks if they reopen the Adventurers Club, especially rebuilt in a different location, Disney would ruin it.

How would they ruin it? As long as it is completely "original" I don't think there is much that could stop it. It would require all new characters and show elements and a decent capital investment to do right but there is money available for sound concepts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom