The House of the Future - Week 10

PerGron

View attachment 514851
Oh to be able to pet a bear cat fox creature.
At a zoo nearby where I live (I say nearby, it’s like an hour and a half away) they do a red panda encounter and I bought it for my family for my mom’s birthday since they’re her favorite animal. Very soft, 10/10 recommend interacting with them in a safe and controlled environment

DashHaber

Great to see everyone on the same page so early. We've lost a day from the veto extension but I think we've more than made up that time. Here are my thoughts on the land -- I can describe it best with a map, so that's just what I made.

View attachment 514830
(Gray is backstage)

I suggest going all-out on the verticality. Four levels of the city, slowly working up a massive mountain facade Each level could be partially specialized: the 1st would be a gardens / naturalistic environment, possibly home to animals if @PerGron so chooses, the 2nd for shopping and dining, the 3rd for higher-scale dining and some attractions, and the fourth for our major e-ticket. The 3rd and 4th connect to backstage while the 1st and 2nd do not.

Guests enter the land from the Arctic Passage along the bridge shown in the concept art below. Along guests' left is a massive waterfall (meant to block views of the backstage) with magnificent views to welcoming all to the land.

View attachment 514831
iguazuf.jpg

At the top of the fourth story is a temple serving as the land icon (and the entrance to the main E-Ticket. To the left is a small archway in a similar architectural style to the archways in the image below, which connects to a floating island (in the same style as Pandora's) only thanks to the archway, there will be no intrusive vines. Guests may walk across this narrow and extended archway and defy the laws of gravity by looking out at the rest of the park atop this floating island observatory.

ETPhVKCU4AEKQx_.jpg

View attachment 514832

Thoughts? This is all very WIP, so things can be easily changed or moved around.
That. Is. Awesome! Such an inspired idea, and it will certainly make a land that can stand out by putting a focus on a vertical environment.

Also, I'd love to work on the dark ride/roller coaster E-ticket. It seems like a major opportunity, given how a lot of my contributions this game have been smaller-scale.

NigelChanning

That. Is. Awesome! Such an inspired idea, and it will certainly make a land that can stand out by putting a focus on a vertical environment.

Also, I'd love to work on the dark ride/roller coaster E-ticket. It seems like a major opportunity, given how a lot of my contributions this game have been smaller-scale.
I would also like to work on the E-ticket!

AceAstro

So if they’re working on the major E-ticket attraction, that leaves myself, @Outbound and @PerGron.

If we are doing animals, that takes PerGron. That leaves shops, dining, small attractions/ walking trails, land description, backstory (I feel backstory is important in this park with the overarching theme).

I think we should first decide if we are doing animals (I am down to have them).

I am also fine doing whatever is left since I am not eligible for HOH

Outbound

So if they’re working on the major E-ticket attraction, that leaves myself, @Outbound and @PerGron.

If we are doing animals, that takes PerGron. That leaves shops, dining, small attractions/ walking trails, land description, backstory (I feel backstory is important in this park with the overarching theme).

I think we should first decide if we are doing animals (I am down to have them).

I am also fine doing whatever is left since I am not eligible for HOH
I'm working on an additional map to plot out what we need. I think this land needs more than just one e-ticket, animal walkthrough, and shopping/dining. Those are all great, but remember since this is a regular land, not an entrance land, we can include a lot more in the attractions department. For instance, what about a live or animatronic show? Flat rides? The list goes on. TBH, I think we should brainstorm a bit more before breaking off into groups.

DashHaber

I'm working on an additional map to plot out what we need. I think this land needs more than just one e-ticket, animal walkthrough, and shopping/dining. Those are all great, but remember since this is a regular land, not an entrance land, we can include a lot more in the attractions department. For instance, what about a live or animatronic show? Flat rides? The list goes on. TBH, I think we should brainstorm a bit more before breaking off into groups.
Good point. I did mention a drop tower earlier in the thread, as something which could go along with the verticality of this land.

AceAstro

I think the overall lake will have a show but we can add “seating” here if we wanted too!

PerGron

I'll happily take some dining and shopping too alongside the animals as I don't just want to be the animal guy.

I think having a tea shop would be super neat since tea is integral to many East Asian countries.

Also, a thought, what if our main restaurant here was strictly vegetarian options but cooked for a wide audience. I think it'd be neat because Buddhist monks of Nepal and Tibet are almost exclusively vegetarian and it'd be thematic, plus it'd make for a unique dining experience (and we could play with dishes we wouldn't usually make). Then we could have meat options at a counter service or something

Outbound

I'll happily take some dining and shopping too alongside the animals as I don't just want to be the animal guy.

I think having a tea shop would be super neat since tea is integral to many East Asian countries.

Also, a thought, what if our main restaurant here was strictly vegetarian options but cooked for a wide audience. I think it'd be neat because Buddhist monks of Nepal and Tibet are almost exclusively vegetarian and it'd be thematic, plus it'd make for a unique dining experience (and we could play with dishes we wouldn't usually make). Then we could have meat options at a counter service or something
A completely vegetarian restaurant would be fantastic! For the sit-down restaurant, I was thinking of placing it on the triangle overlook on Level 3. It would provide spectacular views of the animal trail and surrounding landscape.

AceAstro

I think it being a complete vegetarian restaurant is an interesting dynamic and fun challenge! I love that idea a ton!!

And the map looks great! I think that adds some great height to the land and will look amazing!

PerGron

So one point I wanted to bring up. While I think both Shambhala and Shangri-La should be inspirations, we shouldnt directly make Shambhala. Shambhala is a very important part of Tibetan Buddhism with it being tied to their religion and their spirit world. I don’t wanna appropriate their culture for a theme park.

Instead, we take elements, but we create our own story and world for this mysterious Himalayan lost world. Do it like Avatar: The Last Airbender where it’s clear where the inspiration came from, but it’s not entirely following that to the tee in order to not appropriate a belief system.

I’d be happy to write up the backstory. I think we keep Erie going and have him be the threat that ties it all together where he’s the explorer who discovered all of these lost worlds.

DashHaber

So one point I wanted to bring up. While I think both Shambhala and Shangri-La should be inspirations, we shouldnt directly make Shambhala. Shambhala is a very important part of Tibetan Buddhism with it being tied to their religion and their spirit world. I don’t wanna appropriate their culture for a theme park.

Instead, we take elements, but we create our own story and world for this mysterious Himalayan lost world. Do it like Avatar: The Last Airbender where it’s clear where the inspiration came from, but it’s not entirely following that to the tee in order to not appropriate a belief system.

I’d be happy to write up the backstory. I think we keep Erie going and have him be the threat that ties it all together where he’s the explorer who discovered all of these lost worlds.
That is something to consider. It's not like El Dorado or Atlantis, which are more generally legend. Shambhala has specific ties to a faith, so it might be a bit controversial to just make it Shambhala.

If it helps in crafting backstory, something I had found in my research on Shambhala is that it's believed that when the world is lost in war, an army would arrive from Shambhala to turn back the dark forces and bring a new Golden Age. Nigel and I have played a bit with that for the plot of our Flight of Passage-style E-ticket ride, with the idea that Shambhala (as we were currently referring it) is home to the "Peacemakers", those who seek inner peace and to share this peace with the world. They are opposed by the 'Warmongers", those who seek to conquer and consume without any care for others.

We could run with that element in the land's backstory, while changing it enough from the actual Shambhala to not cause controversy.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom