The Hometown Rivalry. Even Meg Crofton was impressed by Potter.

T-1MILLION

The answer to Disney's welcoming Potter is in the article:

There ya go. Sounds like Universal's plan is backfiring. :lol:

People coming to Orlando to experience Potter will be tempted to visit WDW and Disney knows that. So in reality Universal is drawing tourists for Disney.

Yeah...with that more than 30 percent attendance rise and increased merch sales their plane is really backfiring with Disney's being flat.:rolleyes:

That being said anyone who thinks its deathly competition is just being ignorant.

Healthy Competition..yes.

trr1

I totally agree. Disney will continue to rest on their laurels until guests make a statement by spending less $$$$ at Disney.

That the problem I see, no growth factor. Maybe the problem is me by going ever year or two instead of 3-5 years. I seen a lot of changes between 1995 and 2000. Seen many new attractions when I returned in 2002. I haven't seen much since 2002 from Disney.

I haven't seen Disney more then ok since 2005. I need to follow what I preach and stop going to Disney so often. I keep hoping to find the magic Disney once brought me
here is your magic
gold%20dust.jpg

BalooChicago

I'm sure HP is a great attraction. I'd like to see it. But one addition is not going to kill the giant.

Hm. I'm sure it's great, but I have zero interest in seeing it. I have so few days to spend at WDW as it is, why would I go to Orland and spend time someplace else?

_Scar

It sucks WDW is riding the wave of Universal and other parks instead of making them ride the Disney World wave.

Atomicmickey

Well, there are the cruise ships. It has been shown that these are massively profitable.

Thus--instead of adding more attractions/parks, to WDW, they are promoting the combo vacation, where you go on a ship for a few days, then over to the parks.

There is a lot of promotion around this idea.

We'd all like them to respond with some sort of uber-attraction-land-what-have-you, but maybe they are responding, just not in the obvious way that we would like.

None of which excuses the last 15 years--but I start to wonder about them looking at "beans only" and thinking that the strategy is larger than just another attraction, or something like that.

Ah, wouldn't it be great to have a Star Wars land, themed to the max, or even a whole park like that? Something that comprehensive would be the sort of "Potter-Swatter" we're all thinking of (not to get into a discussion of the relative merits of Star Wars, but as a franchise, it's one of the few complete worlds out there that would directly compete) but one has to wonder if Disney thinks it's all that important in the big picture.

Just thoughts, just thoughts. No info, no particular insight, but that's what I'm musing over these days.

lazyboy97o

It's not attendance that would be driving Crofton crazy, it would be the huge amounts of Money that people are spending on merchandise while guest spending continues to be low at Walt Disney World.

Computer Magic

Well, there are the cruise ships. It has been shown that these are massively profitable.

Thus--instead of adding more attractions/parks, to WDW, they are promoting the combo vacation, where you go on a ship for a few days, then over to the parks.

There is a lot of promotion around this idea.

We'd all like them to respond with some sort of uber-attraction-land-what-have-you, but maybe they are responding, just not in the obvious way that we would like.

None of which excuses the last 15 years--but I start to wonder about them looking at "beans only" and thinking that the strategy is larger than just another attraction, or something like that.

Ah, wouldn't it be great to have a Star Wars land, themed to the max, or even a whole park like that? Something that comprehensive would be the sort of "Potter-Swatter" we're all thinking of (not to get into a discussion of the relative merits of Star Wars, but as a franchise, it's one of the few complete worlds out there that would directly compete) but one has to wonder if Disney thinks it's all that important in the big picture.

Just thoughts, just thoughts. No info, no particular insight, but that's what I'm musing over these days.
Good insight. You can also add Adventure by Disney into that mix. What better then a ABD vacation statying at a Disney owned resort. You can add a theme park and cruise into the vacation. All inclusive and Disney gets all the profits.

I see this with Hawaii soon. A ABD vacation staying at the new Hawaii resort. You can do the same with any theme park overseas.

T-1MILLION

One poster here hit on on the head.

The very thought of a studio park from Universal in FL once got us Disney-MGM Studios. Granted, it was rushed and incomplete for that reason but it sitll shows how the times have changed.

raven

Although...during Christmas 2010, IoA went to capacity three times. MK never went beyond a stage 3 closing--really more like a stage 2.5 closing, people with ADRs and BBB reservations were still let in--and that was only Christmas Day and NYE. None of the other parks closed. In my decade in central Florida, that may be a first (certainly a first in the last 5 years).

Disney won't close the parks to people staying in the Disney resorts either. So while the park may be at capacity, guests staying in these resorts are still let in.

Shadowdawn

I think one of the things that hurts HP land is it's size. I went in mid-late September and although the crowds around the rest of IoA were decent, the small size of the HP area seemed to create a problem getting around.

I am a Disney girl but I have no problem admitting when one of the other parks does something good. I do believe IoA is a beautiful park and in many cases is Disneyish in ways.

I'm not sure if FLE is in response to HP or not, but I think it will put Disney firmly back into that #1 spot for many of the people the feel like the park is lacking.

RSoxNo1

Universal could really pour salt on the wounds, with the Potter expansion by utilizing existing technology that Disney hasn't brought stateside yet.

If they put in a Family friendly dark ride that uses a similar ride system as Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Adding a family friendly ride to The Wizarding World will make it that much more popular, as well as serve a need for IOA as a whole.

TP2000

But Disney can build something with that "wow" factor, and still appeal to a broad audience, and families... They don't have to build something that eliminates kids, or adults, or males...

Cars Land.

It can, and should, make the jump to WDW.

SeaCastle

Cars Land.

Carsland could be an effective Potter-countermeasure, but personally I'd rather it stay in DCA solely because it should have original rides, not just clones of other parks (and vice versa). Plus, I'm scared to imagine how much of Carsland would be cut by the time TDO got their hands on it.

Captain Chaos

Cars Land.

I agree, and yes, Cars Land is exactly what I am talking about... Disney, in my opinion, does not need a Potter swatter... They just need to go back to what made them great to begin with... Cutting edge of theme park technology, adding that wow factor in the theme, the ride, the shows....

Cars Land would be a terrific place to begin!!!

Captain Chaos

Carsland could be an effective Potter-countermeasure, but personally I'd rather it stay in DCA solely because it should have original rides, not just clones of other parks (and vice versa). Plus, I'm scared to imagine how much of Carsland would be cut by the time TDO got their hands on it.

TDO, it seems, does not have a clue as to what is good for the guests and the parks... They only know what's good for the bottom line and their bonuses... I just wish this Disney Parks inititive pulled the power out of their hands and put power in the hands of people who actually do care about the parks, the maintenance, and the guest experience...

WDW needs Cars Land... And if not Cars Land, then something just as good, themed, and would be a huge draw.. FLE isn't it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom