The Hat will not be going away any time soon!!!

jmvd20

Since Hollywood is going to be in the studios name, I wonder if it would be possible for WDW to build some sort of steel structure and place the word HOLLYWOOD on top of it? If it were tall enough they could even make it resemble the real Hollywood sign in CA.

Texas84

Several people on this board have already debunked the 'legal reason' for blocking the theatre with the hat. It's an urban legend. The hat was put there for some anniversary. Don't remember which one. 25th?

RedGear

The hat is fine as long as it is moved. How about putting it outside the park just in front of the entrance where they put the Christmas Tree. The view of the Chinese Theater is very much missed and is much more Hollywood than the hat.

I like that idea, I miss being able to see the theater too. :veryconfu

Tom Morrow

I think the idea of moving it in front of the entrance is a good one....
No offense... but why?? That would ruin all of the aesthetics of Hollywood Blvd* and make the entrance plaza cramped and ugly. And it can't be outside the gates - the icons have to be in the park.

The hat is where it is so all four parks have continuity with their icons - all are centered and are the first big thing you see when you enter the park. All are designed to be backdrops for photographs.

* I realize many of you think the hat already does this, but I don't.

CThaddeus

First step: Remove its status as the Icon. Redo the Chinese Theater as I've mentioned before to make it an opulent, "generic" 20s/30s Hollywood style theater, and make THAT the Icon.
Second step: Move the Hat to the front of the entrance to the Animation Courtyard. Right now the Disney-MGM sign is there. Since that name is going the way of the dodo, take the whole thing out, eliminate the Mickey hand tipping the Hat, set the Hat down on the ground, carve out a walkway through it (they might even be able to still have a dippy pin store in it), and the Hat can survive. Heck, they could even leave the hand in it still tipping the Hat. It just won't look quite as balanced...like now. With the Hat over there it will not so easily mess with the 20s/30s Hollywood look the "main street" was originally supposed to have.
Third step: Enjoy.

ed: As for Icon "continuity," one only has to look at California Adventure to see that the so-called rule that it be the first thing you see when you enter is not true. The Icon is the Bear head of Grizzly River Rapids. But when you first enter you see two things - The Golden Gate Bridge, and the Sun sculpture at the end of Sunshine Plaza. You have to veer right before you really see the Bear.

CrashNet

Several people on this board have already debunked the 'legal reason' for blocking the theatre with the hat. It's an urban legend. The hat was put there for some anniversary. Don't remember which one. 25th?
Not really...while I misspoke (typed) that the theatre was owned by MGM, it was in fact an issue to have the theatre be so prominant at the end of the street.

In all honesty, we'll probably never really know the true intentions of the hat.

lilclerk

ed: As for Icon "continuity," one only has to look at California Adventure to see that the so-called rule that it be the first thing you see when you enter is not true. The Icon is the Bear head of Grizzly River Rapids. But when you first enter you see two things - The Golden Gate Bridge, and the Sun sculpture at the end of Sunshine Plaza. You have to veer right before you really see the Bear.

I thought the bear was a wolf til I remembered the ride was called Grizzly River Rapids. :eek:

jt04

That hat controversy

First step: Remove its status as the Icon. Redo the Chinese Theater as I've mentioned before to make it an opulent, "generic" 20s/30s Hollywood style theater, and make THAT the Icon.
Second step: Move the Hat to the front of the entrance to the Animation Courtyard. Right now the Disney-MGM sign is there. Since that name is going the way of the dodo, take the whole thing out, eliminate the Mickey hand tipping the Hat, set the Hat down on the ground, carve out a walkway through it (they might even be able to still have a dippy pin store in it), and the Hat can survive. Heck, they could even leave the hand in it still tipping the Hat. It just won't look quite as balanced...like now. With the Hat over there it will not so easily mess with the 20s/30s Hollywood look the "main street" was originally supposed to have.
Third step: Enjoy.

This is my vote for best response to the hat contorversy yet! Well said:sohappy:

RiversideBunny

I think that the Hat would actually look more like an icon if it were located just outside the Disney Hollywood Studios, near the entrance.

That area needs something. It's what you walk up to and first see.
Unlike the Magic Kingdom, for example, the current entrance area for the Studios is rather barren and devoid of 'life'.

Also, as a personal wish, I want the Christmas tree back where it used to be - where the Hat is now.

:xmas: :)

csmat99

I dont think they ever plan on removing it.

The hat will be going it's just a matter of time. Why they decided to park it right in front of the great movie ride is pure stupidity. Now what they need is to build a mountain with "Hollywood" sign on the front. Disney "Hollywood" studios and a ride inside the mountain. That would be a icon that would work.

Epcotian

Lou Mongello's "WDW Radio Show" podcast has an interesting discussion about the hat (episode 28). From what his sources tell him, he doesn't believe it's going away anytime soon. Take it for what you will.

I still don't believe Disney will accept anything as a park icon that isn't an object/idea that originated within the company. The Chinese Theater may be beautiful, but it doesn't make people think Disney. The Tree of Life, SSE, the castles, the hat all do.

I also think it's odd that we lament the hat's destruction of the old Hollywood ambience that it faces, yet we don't mind a French castle dominating the view as we look down what is supposed to be quintessential small town America. We simply prefer what was originally there I believe.

ToTBellHop

The hat will be going it's just a matter of time. Why they decided to park it right in front of the great movie ride is pure stupidity. Now what they need is to build a mountain with "Hollywood" sign on the front. Disney "Hollywood" studios and a ride inside the mountain. That would be a icon that would work.
well you are correct there. It's a mathematical certainty that one day our planet will come to a catastrophic end...it's just an issue of when. But when it does, bye-bye hat.

CBOMB

Agree completely - however changes are a'brewin. I have good information that the pin shop will soon be turned into a DVC kiosk! Happier days are ahead of us...

:lookaroun
I sure hope so. You can never have to many DVC kiosk, Well... at least that's what WDW thinks.:D
My best guess would be that Mann's (formerly Grauman's) Chinese Theater isn't owned by MGM, so there isn't a threat of action being taken by MGM for the use of the facade. :shrug:

I remember back when they announced the hat, and the whole time they were building it, the company line was that they wanted an icon for the park that was 1) Wholly owned by WDCo, and 2) Not in the backlot (like the Earful Tower) but more easily visible (and photograph-able) and accessible, and 3) Representative of the concept for the park, and the direction it was believed to be heading in at the time (thus you get the spiel about the hat representing the Magic of Disney and movie making and Hollywood and blah blah...). They (and they, by the way, is everyone from "lowly" guest service managers up to people such as Ed Grier and Al Weiss) made it clear, at the time, that the structure was permanent (and that any possible changes would be BEHIND the hat, not the hat ittself). And, after watching the construction of the thing, I have a hard time believing they'll "just move it". It was built to last...
Excellent post, and what I believe is fact.

goofyfan13

well you are correct there. It's a mathematical certainty that one day our planet will come to a catastrophic end...it's just an issue of when. But when it does, bye-bye hat.

:lol: :lookaroun

I literally laughed out loud when I first read this, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom