The Hat will not be going away any time soon!!!

CrashNet

Yeah, this gets discussed at LEAST once a week. I'm not exactly sure what part of "the hat was built as a compromise to prevent legal actions (aka lawsuit) by MGM for the use of the Chinese theatre facade" people do not understand. Being at the end of the street, the theatre became the unofficial icon of the park, and this issue had to be resolved as MGM is no longer involved. The result: Mickey's hat. Its going no where. However, from my own personal opinion, it is the obvious weakest icon of any park, and could have been planned a little better. Then again, MGM was rushed and built as an answer to Universal's competition during Eisner's days, so...

fyn

I wish Disney had ponied up the money to re-establish rights for the theatre facade as the icon of the park. Every company has a price, including Grauman's.

wdwowner

Original Poster
I have a solution to all of this.

Let's remove the Chinese theater facade and all should be happy. No need to hide something that is not there!!:wave:

Let us remember one thing, it was all started with a Mouse, that Mouse wore the Hat in his biggest movie role, and that should be the icon of the Studios, which created the Mouse, the hat and all of his adventures.:animwink:

CThaddeus

Yeah, this gets discussed at LEAST once a week. I'm not exactly sure what part of "the hat was built as a compromise to prevent legal actions (aka lawsuit) by MGM for the use of the Chinese theatre facade" people do not understand. Being at the end of the street, the theatre became the unofficial icon of the park, and this issue had to be resolved as MGM is no longer involved. The result: Mickey's hat. Its going no where. However, from my own personal opinion, it is the obvious weakest icon of any park, and could have been planned a little better. Then again, MGM was rushed and built as an answer to Universal's competition during Eisner's days, so...

And again, they could have just redesigned the theater to look like a general movie palace of the 20s and 30s, or made it look (as someone else already said) like the El Capitan or whatever theater it is they own in New York. I'm thinking that would have been a cheaper solution to begin with. Instead, they ruined a beautiful view of a Hollywood that never was street and turned it into a cartoon.

STGRhost

I'm not exactly sure what part of "the hat was built as a compromise to prevent legal actions (aka lawsuit) by MGM for the use of the Chinese theatre facade" people do not understand.

My best guess would be that Mann's (formerly Grauman's) Chinese Theater isn't owned by MGM, so there isn't a threat of action being taken by MGM for the use of the facade. :shrug:

I remember back when they announced the hat, and the whole time they were building it, the company line was that they wanted an icon for the park that was 1) Wholly owned by WDCo, and 2) Not in the backlot (like the Earful Tower) but more easily visible (and photograph-able) and accessible, and 3) Representative of the concept for the park, and the direction it was believed to be heading in at the time (thus you get the spiel about the hat representing the Magic of Disney and movie making and Hollywood and blah blah...). They (and they, by the way, is everyone from "lowly" guest service managers up to people such as Ed Grier and Al Weiss) made it clear, at the time, that the structure was permanent (and that any possible changes would be BEHIND the hat, not the hat ittself). And, after watching the construction of the thing, I have a hard time believing they'll "just move it". It was built to last...

Epcotian

I think Disney would want their park icon to be something of Disney's creation, so I don't see the theater ever being used in that way. So, that brings it down to the hat or the less visible water tower or some new creation.

I like the hat and think it's a great icon. Mickey is presented to the public in his Sorcerer Mickey garb quite often, so I think it spins nicely off an image of the mouse that the Mouse seems to love. It's a great general representation of Disney films. That said, I have no problem with moving it so as to make the theater more visible and return the ambience to that "land", but I'd prefer the hat to remain in a prominent location somewhere.

Unplugged

Since the soap box is getting passed around, I'll grab it for a second and step up....

This is not a flame, just a comment.... For those who keep saying the Studios icon is a "pin shop", I have not been able to find your threads discussing the fact the Magic Kingdom's icon is a restaurant and a formerly abondon storage facility -now- promotional giveaway apartment. Of course most of us know it better as the Castle, so perhaps we have trouble seeing your point regarding the Hat. My point here is that the contents can be changed much easier then the icon.

I like the Hat far more than the Wand. The wand was cute for a few years as a promo, but it's time came and went. To me, the wand looked temporary....albeit elaborate, but temporary. It had the exposed underlying structure and reminded me of heavy grade scaffolding. The Hat is a full 3D icon that is fairly elaborate with lighting and such. I find it represents a classic Disney film, much as the Castle does. With the re-focus on the studios to be away from MGM and the "Chinese Theater" legal discussions, there are inevitable changes coming to the theater. The hat does give us some focus as the park is reinvented around it. Could be a nice direction if/when the theater gets a new look. I can also venture a guess that based on simple costs, the hat will never be moved. It will either stay or go, with stay being the more obvious answer. Additionally, where would it move to that ensures it as a recognizable icon, makes for good photos, etc.? No where else in the park in my opinion. Move it and the purpose is defeated.

All in all, if the park management team is looking for an opinion, I like the hat. We just need a little insight on the vision that justifies it. (...stepping down from soap box now. THX :wave:)

tirian

^^ Yes, but for some reason a restaurant and a store (now salon) inside a highly detailed replica of a castle seem more important than an outdoor pin desk inside a plastic hat.

That said, I actually don't mind the hat; I just wish Disney would turn it into something more substantial. I still like my first idea the best: turn it into a fountain!

Tom Morrow

I don't think of the pin store as part of the icon itself. Rather, a shop below the icon. Nobody says "meet me by the pin store hat!" its "meet me by the hat."

If you think about the Tree of Life the same way of thinking of the hat as a pin store, then "It's Tough to Be a Bug!" is the icon for DAK.

However, I agree that something more significant should be under there, but there isn't much they can do with that small space.

jmvd20

I like the hat and the location it is at...

I do not like the pin shop.

As far as an explanation of why I do not mention what is inside the castle, I like the restaraunt and free give-away suite. After all it is better than a pin shop.

Also in conclusion did I mention that I do not like the pin shop under the hat, or the pin shop at the hat, or the pin shop where Mickeys brain should be.

Finally, in closing this post, I do not like the pin shop.

:lookaroun

:D

JLW11Hi

And again, they could have just redesigned the theater to look like a general movie palace of the 20s and 30s, or made it look (as someone else already said) like the El Capitan or whatever theater it is they own in New York. I'm thinking that would have been a cheaper solution to begin with.

This is the best idea I've heard yet. Obviously, due to legal reasons, (and not because of the MGM drop. MGM does not own Grauman's Theater, Mann Theaters does.) the Chinese theater had to be obstructed from view. But if we changed the look of the theater entirely (perhaps during a future Great Movie Ride overhaul) Disney could have a unique centerpiece for the park that fit in better with the theme and surrounding area.

The hat just doesn't look like something that was meant to be permanent, even if that's what they had in mind when building it. It isn't anywhere near as impressive or monumental as the Tree of Life, Spaceship Earth, or Cinderella's Castle. What if we had a totally awesome looking 1920's style art-deco theater? Something rediculously elaborate. A theater would look tons better at the end of Hollywood Blvd than the big hat if you ask me. It would also serve as a "wienie" to the centerpiece attraction as well.

clarkstallings

We'll see what happens with the name change. If the MGM deal is done, that ride has to change significantly or go away.

The park name change doesn't mean that GMR will also have to change. There are separate licensing agreements governing the use of the films represented in GMR. They are not covered under the "Disney-MGM Studios" name licensing agreement.

I'm also, from a legal stance, not certain about the implications of the use of the Chinese Theatre.

Lee

Adventurer
And I believe it will be "sooner" rather than "later".

Scratch that....reverse it...thank you.

Much later than sooner. From what I gather it'll still be there in ten years....probably longer.
There are no plans that would redesign the theatre facade any time soon, so using that as a measuring stick doesn't work. Even if the facade were to change...that doesn't mean the hat goes. On the contrary...the hat is intended to last...and last...and last.

Of course...it is Disney...anything could change...

goofyfan13

Scratch that....reverse it...thank you.

Much later than sooner. From what I gather it'll still be there in ten years....probably longer.
There are no plans that would redesign the theatre facade any time soon, so using that as a measuring stick doesn't work. Even if the facade were to change...that doesn't mean the hat goes. On the contrary...the hat is intended to last...and last...and last.

Of course...it is Disney...anything could change...

I was hoping you would shed some light on this issue. :wave:

Dagger

I'm fine with the hat as well. I just think its unfortunately placed to hide what was a great centerpiece of MGM in the GMR.

I think if the theater had better sight lines and was still visible, it'd be great.
Its a nice building with great architecture to view. You just can't see it anymore.

We'll see what happens with the name change. If the MGM deal is done, that ride has to change significantly or go away.

Sad too 'cause it's my favorite ride at that park!

princessmommy

I also like the hat I hope it stays!!! But I agree that it blocks the view of the GMR. I think the idea of moving it in front of the entrance is a good one....

Scooter

It's not just a "Pin shop"

It's also the background for numerous meet and greets.

I think the hat is a great Icon for this park.

The Great Movie Ride needs a new facade...this is Disney World, not Hollywood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom