The Hat will not be going away any time soon!!!

sittle

I don't know... I get the feeling that the Hat is taking over the wands position as the inanimate-object-of-dislike...

I wouldn't cry if it was removed... in fact I may giggle about it a little bit!

goofyfan13

ok and i want to say why the hat is there, does anyone remember the old WDW commercials? they showed the chinse thetare alot and they later lost the rights so the built the hat to block promotinal photos, if they never did build the hat, there will be many lawsuits against WDW and the chinise thetare :wave:

Many of us know that, which is why we have been saying throughout this thread that the hat isn't going anywhere. You don't need to worry. :wave:

CubsRock

I like the hat too, I always thought of the tower as the icon but like the previous poster stated you could only see it from the Backlot tour while in the park and maybe ToT I was too scared to look though :lookaroun
I hope that it stays.

Reading your post made me think for some wierd reason that ToT could have been the main Icon but then realized that it might give a negative connotation to the park (okay not really a good reason) and it might tell people this is a thrill park, which it isn't that much.

jt04

From who exactly have you heard that they will remove/relocate the hat? Cause I've heard from must more trustworthy people that the hat will be staying for copyright reasons surrounding the Chinese Theatre. I highly doubt the hat is going anywhere within the next decade, especially since they are looking to spruce it up with some new LED's.

"Must more":shrug: . I assume you meant "much more". And if you don't know who my sources are, how do you know your sources are "must more" reliable? I never disclose my sources though, but I appreciate your effort. Have a nice day:wave:

jt04

The only thing I don't like about the hat is that it's a pin shop. :rolleyes: It does block the view of the theatre, but as has been discussed here many times, they had a good reason to put it there. I doubt it'll move unless they re-design the theatre.

BINGO!!!!!:cool:

PeoplemoverTTA

While the hat draws criticism, I do not believe it to be much-maligned as the wand was....here's my issue(s) with it, though:

Should the icon of a park be nothing more than a pin shop? Really, how "iconic" is it for the park to be represented by a pin store?

The hat certainly identifies with the whimsy and magic of Disney films; however, note that Fantasia is an animated film and Mickey is an animated character...stands to reason that the hat should be relocated to the Animation Courtyard, no? Refashion the GMR building to look like a generic period movie theater and the problem is solved.

Right now, the placement of the hat is ridiculous. It looks like a huge band aid covering up the theater, and it ruins the sight lines upon entrance to the park.

*Steps down off soap box*

doop

I don't really mind the hat, I actually think it looks kind of nice. Not upset that it won't be going anywhere for a while.

tirian

Unlike Epcot, I have little emotional attachment to the Studios except for the Osborn Lights and ToT.

If the hat doesn't go anywhere soon, the area needs to be renovated into a large fountain with water cascading down the steps around the hat.

If the hat does get moved or torn down, the theater will have to be redesigned.

jmvd20

The only thing I don't like about the hat is that it's a pin shop.

Agree completely - however changes are a'brewin. I have good information that the pin shop will soon be turned into a DVC kiosk! Happier days are ahead of us...

:lookaroun

Dizknee_Phreek

I think most of us knew it wasn't going anywhere for a while. But nothing stays the same forever at Disney...unless it's he park's original icon that it was built with (the castle, SSE, ToL)...in that case, I don't think MGM has ever had a permanent icon. If they reinstate the water tower, they need to move it to a location that it will be seen more easily. But, an icon should be more than a pin shop. Which is one reason why I've always hated the hat. When I was younger, I used to think the theater was the icon of MGM. Which is probably another reason why I've always hated the hat...it completely screws up the view down Hollywood Blvd. But if there's copyright issues with the theater, they need to change it. They need to remove/relocate the hat, and change the outside of the theater...if they have to have a facade that's "real", why not the El Capitan? Disney has lots of premieres there. Either way...I don't' feel like MGM has a true, permanent icon right now, and they need to make one.

goofyfan13

"Must more":shrug: . I assume you meant "much more". And if you don't know who my sources are, how do you know your sources are "must more" reliable? I never disclose my sources though, but I appreciate your effort. Have a nice day:wave:

Well I guess it's just a wait and see type of thing. Of course I meant "much more", nice job pointing out my 1 spelling error. :rolleyes:

But since I don't know who your alleged source are, I'll remove my "must more" part. ;)

CThaddeus

Agree completely - however changes are a'brewin. I have good information that the pin shop will soon be turned into a DVC kiosk! Happier days are ahead of us...

:lookaroun

How did that information get out? It was supposed to be Disney's best kept secret!

Epcot82Guy

Mickey tipped his hand when it came off the wand... :lol: :lookaroun

Anyway, I don't mind the hat, but I do think it needs more. I would really love to see them create a facade of other theaters behind it (attached to the Chinese theater) so that the hat sits in front of a backdrop of sorts. I also love the idea of it becoming more of a fountain area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom