The Harry Potter Cauldron Perks Again!

Chase24

Empress Room said:
Assuming (and that's a big assumption) that JH's rumor has any validity, Disney certainly wouldn't "have to" wait for the last book to be written before purchasing the rights to it and the others. Would Disney "want to" wait? Hmm. He who hesitates is lost. Although there is an argument that waiting to see how the series ends may affect a decision to buy the franchise, there's no reason to think that how the last book is written or the characters finally resolved would have an appreciable effect on the series' wild popularity.

Well, the main character may not make it. :drevil: That could make a big difference in having a themed type of area now with live main character vs., well, "He who must not be named", ultimately triumphing. That could happen. Other than Old Yeller, and I can not think of any other Disney Movie / property which the main character is not alive, and / or prominently themed. How would you like to market that one. It may still be popular once the series is over, but still a dead wizard boy could be an issue.

Salanne41

Would be great to see what Disney could do with Harry Potter theme (am a huge fan of both!)... but I do think that as Mr Potter comes from good old GB.. if there is going to be any ride or theme park.. it should be with us!

srkingdom2

FourFourSeven said:
Is Harry the right thing for Disney? I'm not going to enter that argument.

But I will say I agree that Disney is the right place for Harry. I have a feeling that Disney would spare no expense and create something unlike which we have seen in a while. Think Haunted Mansion on steroids. It would be absolutely fantastic, and I'd love to see what the Imagineers could pull off... Frankly, it could be its own mini-land...

Hmm - possible fourth gate? (kidding!)

Thats pretty cool have it be like a Haunted Mansion type ride with the doom buggies and everything... And you can go threw the classrooms and see the kids doing magic and levitating objects and such the possibilities are endless...

tomm4004

jmaxwell007 said:
my favorite was the Pirates water park. that was a good one.
So you're saying that Jim Hill came up with this idea on his own? That he drew the beautiful artwork that depicted the park? I think you are giving him too much credit.

Keep in mind that Disney considers hundreds of ideas that never come to fruition.

(From his article: "Meaning that Disney Company management hasn't actually committed to the construction of this project yet.")

If it wasn't for the Jim Hills we may never hear about these projects. And they are fun to read about, even if they tease us without ever happening.

Empress Room

Original Poster
Chase24 said:
Well, the main character may not make it. :drevil: That could make a big difference in having a themed type of area now with live main character vs., well, "He who must not be named", ultimately triumphing. That could happen. Other than Old Yeller, and I can not think of any other Disney Movie / property which the main character is not alive, and / or prominently themed. How would you like to market that one. It may still be popular once the series is over, but still a dead wizard boy could be an issue.

Considering the multi-million dollar investment and profit potential involved with the acquisition of the HP franchise, I doubt any potential suitor is thinking too seriously about HP's fate in the final book. It probably would have little or no effect on marketing and creating attractions. Moreover, Ms. Rowling is a very savvy and intelligent author - I am sure she too understands the financial upside of having her protagonist live happily ever after. After all, every good book is always postered for the next sequel!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
tomm4004 said:
So you're saying that Jim Hill came up with this idea on his own? That he drew the beautiful artwork that depicted the park? I think you are giving him too much credit.

Keep in mind that Disney considers hundreds of ideas that never come to fruition.

(From his article: "Meaning that Disney Company management hasn't actually committed to the construction of this project yet.")

If it wasn't for the Jim Hills we may never hear about these projects. And they are fun to read about, even if they tease us without ever happening.
nope, read again......... all i said was, that the pirates water park article that he was reporting about was my favorite "rumor" that id read so far on his site. there was a sarcastic tone to it as well since he reports anything.

and please, you dont have to remind me that "disney conciders hundreds of ideas that never come to fruition"

Chape19714

My favorite was the Buzz Lightyear's Bumper Cars ride. Don't trust JHM. Disney is the most organized and professional business in the world, true, this is my opinion, but look what they accomplish every day. If they wanted to keep something a secret, it definately would not be on JHM. Sure, some secrets get out, but never this early-on.

TAC said:
Harry Potter's Great Escape ?

Yes exactly! But HP put in the hands of the right Imagineers (think E:E, not Stitch!) could be pretty cool. I'm not waiting for any announcement, though... I'm sure it's as said above: Disney is just getting HP off the market and away from others' hands.

brentley2

xtimMOOthyx said:
I just don't understand why. Why does Disney want Harry Potter? They have enough franchises to create theme park attractions for the next 1000 years. Where does Harry potter fit in with anything Disney? I say give him to Universal.

I agree TOTALLY- give us Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin RIDES (not shows, RIDES) before they churn out a Harry Potter or even any more Pixar related attractions...
However, having said that, I am sure that Harry Potter would bring in throngs of people.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Hmm... if Disney didn't want certain things to get out, and someone in their legal department e-mailed that little "secret" to JHM.... as long as they used their 'work' account and not something like Yahoo/Hotmail/etc., it's traceable as to who sent it. The details he gave could further narrow down who could've sent the e-mail. Probably not something worth risking your job over, don't you think?

Sorry, just thinking like my IT/geek self for a second.

FWIW, I'd rather not hear about all the hundreds of ideas that WDI comes up with, as it leads to far too much rumor-mongering and it gives JHM something to write about. In my world, the less JHM the better. The few items of his that have been mentioned here lately really show off this attitude that he's better than everyone else, or at least his readers. If someone were to show me a list of ideas, I'd be very curious to read it. But I don't think each and every one needs to be 'reported'.

Moustronaut

Chase24 said:
They'll just make him the 1000th haunt in the haunted mansion. :lol:

But not knowing Harry's fate could mean Disney is looking to use the themes in the stories for a ride or attraction. Disney could very well just make something from Harry Potters world like flying a broom or car, being chased buy a dragon, or something like that and steer clear of any of the HP Characters. Kinda like how Star Wars is treated by Star Tours. Star Tours features two auxiliary characters from Star Wars, introduces a new one that fits in well with the Star Wars Universe, and then uses elements from the movie to create an attraction. Never once is Luke, Lea, Han, or Darth ever mentioned... and Chewy only shows up in the safety video. So yea, Disney could totally capitalize on HP without a care what happens to the characters at the end of the book series.

1disneydood

I don't think a HP attraction will ever happen in a US based Disney park. You have to consider what land to put it in and where would the land come from. Plus if it dosen't draw more people in (which they are already predicting an increase year after year) than why bother? Good God do we really want an attendance increase of high magnitude? Right now the parks get as crowded as I care for. :brick:

SirGoofy

Eh, Harry would be nice for one ride. I don't want a whole land dedicated to him, but a big E-ticket would be nice.

Personally, I'd rather Gandalf be the wizard coming, but let's not get into that...

tomm4004

HauntedPirate said:
If someone were to show me a list of ideas, I'd be very curious to read it. But I don't think each and every one needs to be 'reported'.
Um, then what is the point of this news and RUMOR board? Isn't this board just doing what Jim Hill is doing, but with even less information? Don't people come here to read about possible projects for WDW knowing that most of the rumors are false or won't happen? Hill is essentially just a free blog. People treat him like he should be gospel then get mad if/when he's not accurate. I think that's irony.

Mecha Figment

the whole concept of site based entertainment just makes me sick.:brick:

If they keep this up they will oversaturate the market and start hurting their reputation. Look at what people think of George Lucas now.

They need to step lightly in this endevor. Plus they have to think what the man who created the company and where they get their namesake from , would do.

Yo Ho

Moustronaut said:
They'll just make him the 1000th haunt in the haunted mansion. :lol:

But not knowing Harry's fate could mean Disney is looking to use the themes in the stories for a ride or attraction. Disney could very well just make something from Harry Potters world like flying a broom or car, being chased buy a dragon, or something like that and steer clear of any of the HP Characters. Kinda like how Star Wars is treated by Star Tours. Star Tours features two auxiliary characters from Star Wars, introduces a new one that fits in well with the Star Wars Universe, and then uses elements from the movie to create an attraction. Never once is Luke, Lea, Han, or Darth ever mentioned... and Chewy only shows up in the safety video. So yea, Disney could totally capitalize on HP without a care what happens to the characters at the end of the book series.

Actually, didn't Rowling just announce that Potter will die in the next installment? Sounds like Harry's fate has already been determined...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom