The Harry Potter Cauldron Perks Again!

CaptainMichael

tracyandalex said:
still not sure where HP belongs in disney though
well, depending on the theme, Harry could fit in any of the theme parks. The most likely being Magic Kingdom which some people here would be unhappy with. I'd rather Harry in MK than the debacle known as Stitch!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
HP replacing the Indy Speedway would be nice, and no, it doesn't have to fit in the Tomorrowland theme - it can be its own little thing like how "small world" is over at Disneyland.

MKCustodial

If Harry Potter was to go in a theme park, it'd obviously be at the Studios. But the current rumor says it'll be a whole other thing, a site-based entertainment, whatever the frick that means. So there's no point in starting the old Potter Placement argument.

stitchcastle

actually Potter can leech his way to MK, not just the studios, in fact Potter belongs to MK more than he does in the Studios.

either way, I hate Harry Potter and I'm a bit dissapointed by this rumour but hey at least its another source material for Imagineers' creativity

DisneyWales

imagineer boy said:
Why are people always suggesting Harry Potter should go in AK?! Harry Potter 100% DOES NOT fit the theme of animal kingdom. What would Hogwarts school of Witch craft and Wizardry have to do with animals? Besides, AK is already getting E:E so it won't be in such a bad need for new rides.

It could be very easy for them to add HP to AK

If the wanted to they could redo the Beastie kingdom theme to HP making it a Magical Animals area, it could be Open day at Hogworts and they are exhibiting all the Magical Animals you could learn about at Hogworts if you were to sign up. (but then according to HP Lore, all children are signed up as soon as they are born by a magical list, but im sure most people would overlook that.:zipit):

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I honestly dont see Disney spending a whole lot of money on the rights to the HP attractions. Now I could see them paying a bunch of money for all the rights to HP and mass marketing videos, etc. I also dont see them spending alot of resources making HP the center of an additional area of any of the parks, simply because at some point in time, HP is going to fall by the wayside and they will be stuck with a huge attraction that might be difficult to retheme. I could see a smaller attraction such as a HP flying broomsticks sort of along the lines of Dumbo, MCoA, etc....or maybe even a HP play area meet and greet, but nothing allong the lines of a E.E. level attraction.

Woody13

timetoknowbe said:
quite the pessimist, aren't you?
No, I am not being pessimistic. I am being practical and using common sense. The HP craze is wildly popular and is currently making many millions of dollars in books, movies and licensing fees. I am pleased for them. However, I know from experience that HP will not last very long. The books are not "great literature" by any stretch of the imagination. The movies have made a lot of money but they will not be long remembered.

The HP brand is strong due to only one thing, its devoted fans. As that fan base erodes, HP will fade away. The Star Wars fan base is shrinking now as the fans become more "out there". After all, who is this Obi Wan Cannoli person?

tooncity

Harry Potter Works at the New Walt Disney Studios in FL

The only place to 'plant' Harry Potter is at the Disney / MGM Studios with the MGM name soon gone. With a Harry Potter identity it would be a way to reinvent the park which hasn't had anything new in a few years. But the Sorcerer's Hat... Strange place to put that HAT, don't think so? We've all been wondering WHY they put it there. If you're planning on Placing a New 'Cave' Totally Imersive Harry Potter attraction in the HUGE GMR buliding, it all makes to much sense. Can't you see Harry's Sorcerer's Hat with white Stars and Crescent moons on it. Giving everybody the impression that Harry is a Disney property.

On the other hand, The World of Naria will be placed in Camp Mickey & Minnie where the original Mystical Kindom Project was suposed to go. Old plans never die they sweeped into other projects. :drevil: Add a bunch of characters from the Pastoral section of Fantasia and it ALL works nicly. The original concepts for Animal Kingdom was to have Disncovery Island to be filled with Themeing from this sequence of fantasia, with cenuretts and Winged Flying Horses, Unicorns. Fantasy Creatures that never were. Fits nicly doesn't it.

Think back to this entry when they annouce these projects in the comming years. It will prove out to correct. Remeber Iger has to put HIS stamp on the company. This project will make everybody forget Michael something, something? What was his last name again? :lol:

tooncity

Harry Potter at the New Walt Disney Studios in Florida

The only place to 'plant' Harry Potter is at the Disney / MGM Studios with the MGM name soon gone. With a Harry Potter identity it would be a way to reinvent the park which hasn't had anything new in a few years. But the Sorcerer's Hat... Strange place to put that HAT, don't think so? We've all been wondering WHY they put it there. If you're planning on Placing a New 'Cave' Totally Imersive Harry Potter attraction in the HUGE GMR buliding, it all makes to much sense. Can't you see Harry's Sorcerer's Hat with white Stars and Crescent moons on it. Giving everybody the impression that Harry is a Disney property.

On the other hand, The World of Narnia will be placed in Camp Mickey & Minnie where the original Beastly Kindom Project was suposed to go. Old plans never die they sweeped into other projects. :drevil: Add a bunch of characters from the Pastoral section of Fantasia and it ALL works nicly. The original concepts for Animal Kingdom was to have Disncovery Island to be filled with Themeing from this sequence of fantasia, with cenuretts and Winged Flying Horses, Unicorns. Fantasy Creatures that never were. Fits nicly doesn't it.

Think back to this entry when they annouce these projects in the comming years. It will prove out to correct. Remember Iger has to put HIS stamp on the company. This project will make everybody forget Michael something, something? What was his last name again? :lol:

When Eisner first came in he made Deals for the biggist Franchises in Hollywood, Indiana Jones, Star Wars. he made a deal with Speilberg to work on a Disney owned property ...Roger Rabbit. Disney's stock price has been stuck at $24 for over a year now. Nothing has moved it. A Big company like Disney has to move it's stock price with external allances. Iger can only do this by making deals like Harry Potter. Getting a deal with Steve jobs. He has to make these deals. I'd count on Harry at the New Walt Disney Studio. Narnia at Animal Kingdom in place of the useless Camp Minnie and Mickey. Lion King Celebration will movie over to Africa were it should be. They reuse the Lion King building for the NEW Lion King...Narnia. it all works to well.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
tooncity said:
But the Sorcerer's Hat... Strange place to put that HAT, don't think so? We've all been wondering WHY they put it there. If you're planning on Placing a New 'Cave' Totally Imersive Harry Potter attraction in the HUGE GMR buliding, it all makes to much sense. Can't you see Harry's Sorcerer's Hat with white Stars and Crescent moons on it. Giving everybody the impression that Harry is a Disney property.

Wasnt the hat up before the first Harry Potter Movie? I dont think Disney would have put the hat there on the off chance that a future movie would be made and successful. The studios needed a central Icon, something in the background when you first walked in. The water tower just wasnt doing it.

I dont think that Disney is going to axe the GMR to replace it with a relatively young fad, that in my opine, once the final book/movie are done, will fade away, especially since they had to pay so dearly for the Wizard of Oz sequence.

Shaman

I think it would be great to have a Potter attraction....but it wouldn't make sense (to me anyways) if they couldn't use stuff from the movies....

I thought the Narnia rumors would at least quiet the Potter rumors for a while...I guess not....:lookaroun

:lol:

Edeyore

imagineer boy said:
Not another one. Personally though, I'd perfer that they concentrate more on Narnia.

I would think they will wait to see how well Narnia does at the box office, before they do anything. (So far it is doing very well.) I see Narnia as having a similar mystical quality that kids love. Think about it, if PoC had not done well in theaters, do you think we would be hearing about Johnny Depp animatronics being put into the ride. I haven't heard anything about an Eddie Murphy animatronic being added to the Haunted Mansion.

MKCustodial

Edeyore said:
Think about it, if PoC had not done well in theaters, do you think we would be hearing about Johnny Depp animatronics being put into the ride.

Not that that's a smart move at all, but still, yeah, I see your point. :lol:

Shaman

Woody13 said:
After all, the author is not a great writer by any caliber.

TRUE!!!!! I think she isn't the best writer, and I think she could go further with her subject matter, using it to weave better plots. While I personally couldn't get passed the first page of the first book...I find that the movies are quite enjoyable (so her 'imagination' isn't so bad, especially when they translate to such entertaining films). The best thing about the whole HP phenomena is that it has gotten kids (and perhaps people in general) to read more and that's a good thing.

If they have a "Beastly Kingdom" both Narnia and HP attractions could fit in with the "original concept" of Beastly. Personally, I think it would be great to see HP part of an expansion of the Studios.

Denscott

Woody13 said:
No, I am not being pessimistic. I am being practical and using common sense. The HP craze is wildly popular and is currently making many millions of dollars in books, movies and licensing fees. I am pleased for them. However, I know from experience that HP will not last very long. The books are not "great literature" by any stretch of the imagination. The movies have made a lot of money but they will not be long remembered.

The HP brand is strong due to only one thing, its devoted fans. As that fan base erodes, HP will fade away. The Star Wars fan base is shrinking now as the fans become more "out there". After all, who is this Obi Wan Cannoli person?

Your experience eh? Star Wars is just as popular today as it was 10 years ago and 10 years before that.

Check the box office from the past 3 movies (Phantom Menace $431,081,00, Attack of the Clones $310,675,000, Revenge of the Sith $380,262,555). Not too shabby...I think many people know who Obi Wan Kenobi is, thank you very much.

Check into Harry Potter as well while your at it (Philospher's Stone $317,575,000, Chamber of Secrets $261,988,000, Prisoner of Azkaban $249,359,000, Goblet of Fire $254,387,000 so far). And that is only the movies, not the books!!! :eek:

These "epic" movie franchises never die and never fade away. We still get excited about possible Indiana Jones rides and that franchise ended in 1989! The Godfather series is popular enough that a new novel was just written with the same characters. Universal still has a Jaws ride and that movie was made in the 70's! Stallone is gearing up for a Rocky 6!

Just because you personally do not enjoy a series of books or movies does not mean it will fail and be forgotten. I think the numbers above prove without a doubt that there is a market and a long life for the Harry Potter franchise. Many of us find the books and the movies to be fantastic adventures and tremendously original stories.

Empress Room

Original Poster
Denscott said:
Your experience eh? Star Wars is just as popular today as it was 10 years ago and 10 years before that.

Check the box office from the past 3 movies (Phantom Menace $431,081,00, Attack of the Clones $310,675,000, Revenge of the Sith $380,262,555). Not too shabby...I think many people know who Obi Wan Kenobi is, thank you very much.

Check into Harry Potter as well while your at it (Philospher's Stone $317,575,000, Chamber of Secrets $261,988,000, Prisoner of Azkaban $249,359,000, Goblet of Fire $254,387,000 so far). And that is only the movies, not the books!!! :eek:

These "epic" movie franchises never die and never fade away. We still get excited about possible Indiana Jones rides and that franchise ended in 1989! The Godfather series is popular enough that a new novel was just written with the same characters. Universal still has a Jaws ride and that movie was made in the 70's! Stallone is gearing up for a Rocky 6!

Just because you personally do not enjoy a series of books or movies does not mean it will fail and be forgotten. I think the numbers above prove without a doubt that there is a market and a long life for the Harry Potter franchise. Many of us find the books and the movies to be fantastic adventures and tremendously original stories.

Well said, Denscott. J.K. Rowling did not become the second richest woman in all of the United Kingdom based on a flash in the pan series of books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom