The Halloween/Christmas parties throw off attendance levels for 1/3rd of the year now

dreamfinder912

I’m definitely not a morning person so as a local I can never ever bring myself to get to any park for rope drop. However I typically go to the parks late afternoon. The temperature starts going down, the crowds gradually lighten up, and the parks are beautiful at night. Usually I get lucky if I go to MK for the evening and it’s open late but isn’t a weekend or peak season.
But if it’s open late because it’s not a party night then it’s still slammed.

I think you just said the best part about living here. It's beautiful to wander in at night and avoid the chaos (and wake up time) of rope drop. I don't know how "local" you are (sometimes people say local and mean winderemere, sometimes they mean jacksonville) but you and I (I'm close enough to hear and watch MK fireworks from home) are able to pop in whenever factors line up. For me it might be as simple as "I'm feeling Mickey waffles today" but really if I'm craving something, if it's nice out, if I have a good book I wanna read outside...I go in. If I'm in the mood to go on rides but it's too crowded for me....I go home. The level of planning that I have to put into enjoying an afternoon at Disney is so minimal due to proximity and pass type (no blackouts, no problem) there really isn't room to say "ugh another party, now there's more people in epcot" it's minimal, and easily avoidable. If you were a family here for a three day weekend with non park hopping passes it'll take much more planning to have a pleasant experience. But for those of us who live here, either prepare emotionally for it, or just say "nah, I'll come another time."

Please don't think I'm saying "get over it" or "then don't go" it's much more in the attitude of "this is a huge theme park, it'll be crowded because it's a weekend/party night/non party night and I'm just gonna roll with it." We can't control how many people flood into the parks or how often Disney has special events. But we can control how we respond to higher crowds and the less stressful ways of doing that is either accepting them, or avoiding them.

SirWillow

It appears that these special events/parties are loosing popularity with repeat customers. Many are loosing interest due to Disney overselling them and the park being too crowded as a result.

that was one thing we noticed when we went to Not So Scary last year: the park was far busier with a lot more people during the party than it was during the day time. Way back when I worked there they didn't sell that many party tickets, limiting the numbers so that it was more enjoyable. That's not a thing anymore. Now their ticket numbers are way up. It was still a lot of fun, but a lot more people than I had hoped or anticipated.

But that seems to be about the case with just about anything Disney right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have you been this year? We went and there were definitely people on the rides. Every story coming from the parties this year are the same. Huge crowds. Long lines.
Most of the stories have been pretty consistent: big early crowds, mobs on Main Street for the holy parade and fireworks, then thins out
Maybe. I think its either they've increased the allotment of tickets or it may be the pass - or combination. I went on a Sunday (which I'd assume would be prime for locals with the pass) - and it was as crowded as I ever remember it.

I pick “both”. There’s no way they don’t sell whatever they feel like based on demand. It’s not the way it used to be.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

We were there on a party day at the end of August. The park was great (read: better than average experience) until the party guests started streaming in around 4pm. We were glad to be on our way out at that point. 4-7 pm, I suspect, would have been a below average (crowded) experience, unless you like to people watch with all the costumes.

phillip9698

Have you been this year? We went and there were definitely people on the rides. Every story coming from the parties this year are the same. Huge crowds. Long lines.

No trip this year. That's unfortunate to hear, we always used the parties as a slow MK day. It was awesome.

thomas998

It appears that these special events/parties are loosing popularity with repeat customers. Many are loosing interest due to Disney overselling them and the park being too crowded as a result.

We don't see value in them, but many others do, I guess.
We visit another park on days when these events take place.
I don't know if I am ready to write them off completely. I think next year our plan will be to do Universal for all of the trip except for 2 Halloween parties. It will save us some money and on the days we do the parties we will have an excuse to sleep late and rest instead of the normal hit the parks when they open mentality we've normally had. We've seen the parties and they aren't a great draw anymore but with doing them and avoiding the big draws like the meet and greets and parade we can probably get in more ride in a party night than we could in a normal day at MK.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It wasn't an argument, it was a question. I thought for reservations did not occur until 60 days out, that's really the hard part. Dining reservations are much more flexibility unless some just has to have CRT or something like that.

So yeah, me of all people, gets to ask.
Defend and deflect defend and deflect

DisneyGigi

We were there on a party day at the end of August. The park was great (read: better than average experience) until the party guests started streaming in around 4pm. We were glad to be on our way out at that point. 4-7 pm, I suspect, would have been a below average (crowded) experience, unless you like to people watch with all the costumes.
This year was crazy crowded. You left right as we were getting there, if I remember correctly. This was my 4th MNSSHP since 2008. Glad I got to see the parade but nothing I care to repeat, again. Never seen it so crowded and was thankful we ditched the costume idea, it was 107 degrees at least.

SirWillow

it was 107 degrees at least.

Completely unrelated, but I always love the highly over exaggerated temperatures that people come up with for Disney/ Orlando.

From Weather.com https://weather.com/news/climate/news/100-degree-temperatures-us-cities-average-most-records
Tampa has never recorded a high of 100 degrees in records dating to 1890. Miami has seen the mercury reach 100 degrees once – July 21, 1942. Away from both coasts, Orlando has seen 100-degree highs several times, most recently on June 19, 2015.

Oh, that temp in 2015? It was the first time in over 17 years that Orlando reached 100. And it hasn't since.

The humidity can make it feel like it is over 100 degrees, of that there is no doubt. But even then the heat index rarely reaches 110 and usually is closer to the 100-103 mark before the showers drop it down. But heat index is not the same as real temps.

DisneyGigi

Completely unrelated, but I always love the highly over exaggerated temperatures that people come up with for Disney/ Orlando.

From Weather.com https://weather.com/news/climate/news/100-degree-temperatures-us-cities-average-most-records

Oh, that temp in 2015? It was the first time in over 17 years that Orlando reached 100. And it hasn't since.

The humidity can make it feel like it is over 100 degrees, of that there is no doubt. But even then the heat index rarely reaches 110 and usually is closer to the 100-103 mark before the showers drop it down. But heat index is not the same as real temps.
I was obviously being over exaggerated, lol We have been going in August to Disney since 2007 but it was hotter this year. It was hotter here too. It was a few degrees higher than where we live, but the humidity is a B... in Florida. 92 at home last week, in October I am sure felt way cooler than 92 in Florida. May 90 degrees at Disney feels nothing like August 90.
I am so happy to say the highs here are at most mid 70s finally!!! 92, last week, in the mountains in October. 😑

Jambo Joe

To clarify the parties do not run through early January.
Its 4 months not 5 months of parties.

Also consider that EPCOT now has The Festival of the Arts, The International Flower & Garden Festival, The International Food & Wine Festival, and The Festival of the Holidays so lets not get all up in arms about just MK being "ruined" for "5 months" out of the year.

Personally I don't mind parties and festivals and don't think they really make or break crowd levels.

As I say to anyone that has some serious issues with the way Disney does things is if you really don't get enjoyment anymore than find a new destination.
The Epcot events don’t shut down the park for ticket holders only - which was the main point of the original post.

Tony the Tigger

I was obviously being over exaggerated, lol We have been going in August to Disney since 2007 but it was hotter this year. It was hotter here too. It was a few degrees higher than where we live, but the humidity is a B... in Florida. 92 at home last week, in October I am sure felt way cooler than 92 in Florida. May 90 degrees at Disney feels nothing like August 90.
I am so happy to say the highs here are at most mid 70s finally!!! 92, last week, in the mountains in October. 😑

I can vouch for ya, it felt like 107 in the sun! (and I live in South Florida where it's usually hotter LOL.)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I can vouch for ya, it felt like 107 in the sun! (and I live in South Florida where it's usually hotter LOL.)
I was there during this last August too ;) and I'll join you guys in saying that it really felt like 100s at certain times and days, regardless of what the Weather Channel or whatever says!

Timmay

I was there during this last August too ;) and I'll join you guys in saying that it really felt like 100s at certain times and days, regardless of what the Weather Channel or whatever says!
Officially recorded temps are always lower than the actual temp at ground level, on asphalt and concrete.

HongKongFu

Personally I don't mind parties and festivals and don't think they really make or break crowd levels.

The parties significantly affect attendance distribution whether you mind or don't mind.

And your
"As I say to anyone that has some serious issues with the way Disney does things is if you really don't get enjoyment anymore than find a new destination"

bores.......... that cliche which will never advance the conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom