The Great Movie Ride- What's Up??

Kman

Original Poster
The last time we went on this ride I found it completely lame. I was actually shocked at how poor the experience was. I don't like everything Disney does but even the things that aren't my favourites are still very well done- they just don't always suit my taste. I don't know if it was our "guide" who was, by all standards, a terrible actress but it just seemed to me that the ride is sub-par and is in desperate need of a major upgrade.

We went on it 2 years ago and I hadn't been on it prior to that for probably 6-7 years and I know that they refurbished it in that time- I just don't know what they did to improve it.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Ilovewishes

There have been a couple of occasions where we've cringed at the performances. And yet I remember being genuinely spooked by it when I was younger! Especially by the Alien scene!

It's a shame because it has so much potential! It really could be an amazing ride.

stitch001

I think there needs to be more reallys added on to that, and I'm not trying to be funny. I used to be scared of the Alien section (the movie does still freak me out) but last time I rode the GMR I got through that section no problem. That and you can tell it's been neglected all over the ride. But deep down its a good ride, it just needs some loving.

C&D

Love "The Great Movie Ride". Ride it multiple times when we visit the 'Studios'. To each their own, but we love it.

The Great Movie Ride is really cool, although, I have wondered why Disney hasn't changed the movies that make up the ride...the movie montage at the conclusion of the ride is great.

hpyhnt 1000

The Great Movie Ride is really cool, although, I have wondered why Disney hasn't changed the movies that make up the ride...the movie montage at the conclusion of the ride is great.

Agreed. Its been, what 15, 17+ years since it debuted? Ther have been so many movies since then; its time to upate the attraction, and bring in some movies that are more recent. The only reason I can see as to why this has not been done is the issue of getting the rights to the movie, and that can be a rather large hurdle depending on the studio.

But otherwise, yeah, it comes down to basic upkeep, and The GMR is in need of a refurb rather urgently.

Edisto Pluto

We love the ride. Not always a great CM but most times they do a good job and sometimes there is a great performance. This is the first attraction we went on during our first trip to the Studios. Refresh it when appropriate and appreciate this classic attraction.

donvincenzo

I too love The Great Movie Ride, and I go ride it every time I go down. I agree that it does need some major refurbishment, but I don't think the ride needs to "change" all that drastically. Special effects could be updated, a better sound system, better training for the tour guides. I think many, if not most, of the movies that are showcased should stay, with just some updating. The point of this ride was to take you into scenes of classic, great movies, and the movies shown (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, etc....) were classics 20 years ago, are classics now, and will always be, classic films. Again, perhaps special effects and animatronics could be updated with today's technology, but these are the kinds of films that should be showcased, not movies that are successful when they first come out, but then don't seem to really stand the test of time. The Alien scene, for example, could be updated to make it scarier, absolutely. But when you think of a classic sci-fi/horror movie, there aren't too many that are better than Alien. I just think we need to remember that this ride, the whole reason we have this theme park today after it was upgraded from just being a pavilion, was to showcase and take you into, classic, great movies, and not just what is cool for the moment. But I digress, that is merely my humble opinion...

Tenny0317

I agree with Don. This ride is about classic movies and Disney scares me to a certain extent when refurbishing. I feel like they would go overboard with like Stitch or something. That scares me. The ride is about classic movies that will outlive the tests of time. Possibly adding some new classics would be a good idea like The Godfather, maybe some comic book movies aka The Dark Knight bc it's the best movie EVER etc. but still keeping real classics like The Wizard of Oz which is such a bad a$$ looking scene. Overall it needs some TLC and is looking a little sad but could totally bounce back and be awesome. And i love the end film montage!

kingslyZISSOU

I wish they would update some of the AAs. Besides the witch, some of them are pretty awful.

I wish they would fix some of the effects like the car in the mafia scene. When I was on it in December, It didn't move. It made the whole scene very confusing for first time guests. It was actually was rather comical, hearing the tires screech.

I think they should do a story change (with the whole hijack thing), and freshen up the movie trivia. I think it would be very wise if they also added some new innovative special effects. AA's alone (well at least those AA's) aren't enough to impress new visitors, I really think some cool effects would be a cost effective solution to this dated ride.

(someone on a previous thread about Disney scents mentioned that they should pipe in some pop corn smell in the montage sequence. I think thats a great Idea. Does anyone have anymore Ideas for effects?)

CThaddeus

For me, it's still the best attraction in The Studios, followed closely by Muppet-Vision 3-D. If I only make it on The Great Movie Ride once a trip I feel like I've missed something. Now if they could just move that stupid Hat (or nuke it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure) to uncover their REAL best kept Disney secret.

YodaGirl

Despite having been several times since DHS opened, we had never made time to ride it till our last trip.

Now I know why.

Definitely not a favorite.

Spike-in-Berlin

As some have already posted, the GMR is about classic movies and not about the last 5, 10 or 15 years blockbusters. Although I agree, it should be refurbished and some other classic movies (including new old movies, not only recent ones) should be included, I don't see it on the top priority list, there are much more important changes, additions and refurbishments I see the necessity for, especially concerning classics like the JC. I did the GMR 3 times last summer and always enjoyed it although I already knew it from my stay in 1991. I was a little disappointed however that they cancelled the real fire "explosions" in the first live-action part - Western town/Chicago gangsters. Does anyone why?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom