The Great Movie Ride what would have you changed?

DisneyTalks

I always remember there being a huge line for great movie ride. The biggest mistake was taking away that ride. Im fine with Runaway Railway, looks fun! But honestly, it would've been great if that was placed elsewhere. The Great Movie Ride literally defines what Hollywood Studios is, and it sucks that they took away a such a huge staple of the park. It was its centerpiece. But if i had the chance to revamp it, I absolutely would. Seeing how great the animatronics are today, specifically in Avatars Navi River Journey, the animatronic at the end is incredible! Imagine how life like the great movie ride would be if they updated those animatronics with modern ones. Id love it.
Id also expand and add more to the ride. Id put back the fire that would appear in the cowboy section of the ride. Maybe make it more safe by pushing it farther or use a better alternative for it. Id take away the narration from TCM and leave the talking to the host and animatronics. Id also add a few scenes as part of the expansion. Id add a section for charley chaplin, Rocky Balboa, etc. Overall Id just expand it, update the technology, redo or add more to the movie sets to look more realistic.

Pepper's Ghost

Advertisement
I always remember there being a huge line for great movie ride. The biggest mistake was taking away that ride. Im fine with Runaway Railway, looks fun! But honestly, it would've been great if that was placed elsewhere. The Great Movie Ride literally defines what Hollywood Studios is, and it sucks that they took away a such a huge staple of the park. It was its centerpiece.
I tried to make this point too. I agree completely. The GMR and the Studio Backlot Tour were two of my faves, and sadly now both are gone. 🤬

The Real Buzz Lightyear

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Whoa... geez. Talk about peeing on the proverbial Main Street Electrical Parade. :rolleyes:🤪

All fantastic points. If we have to be realistic about owned movies and such, allow me to revise your list a tad. Some of those movies don't translate to great Movie Ride scenes IMO. :)
  1. The Sound of Music
  2. Star Wars (original trilogy)
  3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  4. Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier Mrs Doubtfire
  5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  6. Planet of the Apes (original version) Independence Day
  7. Titanic
  8. Nightmare Before Christmas (God no, I hate the HM overlay in DL at Christmas) Night at the Museum
You could have lots of fun with Night at the Museum if you ask me. There's so much going on in that movie. I4 would be cool for the Freak Show scene with the alien breaking out of containment. Actually, Planet of the Apes would probably work well on the ride. I'm just not a fan. 🤪
Night at the museum would have been amazing! I'm still hoping the new show for it on Disney+ will be successful so it could get a dark ride in one of the parks. Preferably Disney Hollywood Studios.

Magicart87

Premium Member
Night at the museum would have been amazing! I'm still hoping the new show for it on Disney+ will be successful so it could get a dark ride in one of the parks. Preferably Disney Hollywood Studios.
I feel like that's "a been there done that" property. How could one expand on it?
I'd much rather watch an S.E.A. Disney+ adaptation on the adventures of Lord Mystic, Albert and other S.E.A. characters.

The Real Buzz Lightyear

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I feel like that's "a been there done that" property. How could one expand on it?
I'd much rather watch an S.E.A. Disney+ adaptation on the adventures of Lord Mystic, Albert and other S.E.A. characters.
That would be very cool. If Disney in any even gets the rights or buys MGM I would love to see a Wizard of Oz dark ride or miniland.

Robbiem

night at the museum would make a great addition or an even Better stand alone dark ride. It would be a good way to bring a mystic manor type ride to the studios and help round things out

The Real Buzz Lightyear

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
night at the museum would make a great addition or an even Better stand alone dark ride. It would be a good way to bring a mystic manor type ride to the studios and help round things out
I agree it would be an amazing addition. It would really help out Hollywood Studios. That park needs a lot more rides.

The Real Buzz Lightyear

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
1587661774560.png
Imagine if this was one of the scenes during the Great Movie Ride. You would basically enter Stark Tower with all of the Avengers staring down Loki with the Avengers theme playing. I would have had this scene replace Tarzan or Casablanca.

PiratesMansion

I would have kept it.

Not that it was ever my favorite ride; far from it. But removing a ride in a park that has around 9 is just a deeply unfortunate decision.

I wonder if they regret not building MMRR somewhere else now that everyone and their brother wants to camp out at DHS on a daily basis.

Giss Neric

The only movie that I could relate to in GMR was Aliens and Wizard of Oz cause my dad let me watch those even though it was old.

I remember going on a school trip. I was the only one in a group of 20 who has ridden it before. After the ride, all 19 of my school mates said they were bored to death. We went on Tower of Terror and Aerosmith after and they all had fun.

The Real Buzz Lightyear

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The only movie that I could relate to in GMR was Aliens and Wizard of Oz cause my dad let me watch those even though it was old.

I remember going on a school trip. I was the only one in a group of 20 who has ridden it before. After the ride, all 19 of my school mates said they were bored to death. We went on Tower of Terror and Aerosmith after and they all had fun.
I agree as a kid those were the only movies I recognized besides Indiana Jones and Fantasia and Mary Poppins.

Top Bottom