The Great Movie Ride what would have you changed?

Pepper's Ghost

Make the whole thing an Alien dark ride.

I find this idea fascinating. Not so much to replace GMR, but as Buzz said, for Tomorrowland! Stitch's Great Escape remains empty if I'm not mistaken. (Been a while since I've been there) How about a good IP tie-in for a change, and turn Stitch back into Alien Encounter again, but make it Alien with Sigourney Weaver. I miss the old Alien Encounter, but an Alien IP tie-in would be an excellent use of that building.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I find this idea fascinating. Not so much to replace GMR, but as Buzz said, for Tomorrowland! Stitch's Great Escape remains empty if I'm not mistaken. (Been a while since I've been there) How about a good IP tie-in for a change, and turn Stitch back into Alien Encounter again, but make it Alien with Sigourney Weaver. I miss the old Alien Encounter, but an Alien IP tie-in would be an excellent use of that building.
According to a report from today it sounds like Disney is replacing Stitch with a Wreck it Ralph ride. I still think Alien could replace Buzz and Monsters inc.

Phonedave

Off the top of my head I don't know how they would accomplish it, but I would have liked to seen something where the movies on display were frequently changing, or maybe there is a roster of 30 to 40 classics that you see 5 or 6 of at random. More backstory on the movies and the actors and no need for the 'story' - I always found the delivery by the CMs to be forced.

Everybody has favorite classics (well maybe not everybody, but lots of people) that they would like to see, that maybe not too many others would want to see. I personally would have loved to see the opening from "Once Upon a Time in the West" and the "This man is new to me. O haven't beaten him before" scent from "Trinity is my Name" but I doubt many others would. That is why having a rotation of a bunch of scenes would allow for the lesser known movies to be included.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Off the top of my head I don't know how they would accomplish it, but I would have liked to seen something where the movies on display were frequently changing, or maybe there is a roster of 30 to 40 classics that you see 5 or 6 of at random. More backstory on the movies and the actors and no need for the 'story' - I always found the delivery by the CMs to be forced.

Everybody has favorite classics (well maybe not everybody, but lots of people) that they would like to see, that maybe not too many others would want to see. I personally would have loved to see the opening from "Once Upon a Time in the West" and the "This man is new to me. O haven't beaten him before" scent from "Trinity is my Name" but I doubt many others would. That is why having a rotation of a bunch of scenes would allow for the lesser known movies to be included.
I agree. They should have kept some scenes but swapped out others especially since the MGM and Disney deal fell apart.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Strange that I always thought the movies portrayed in GMR were MGM studios produced; but, as it turns out Warner Bros. produced Casablanca. No reason why a completely new selection of movies couldn't have been done, as someone else has said, and without CM's. I just loved the entire ambience of that ride.

FettFan

That sounds amazing!

The sad thing is with a name like "Great Movie Ride", it should have had a few scenes swapped in and out.

Charlie Chaplin got a shout out in the closing montage (and a brief clip in Horizons, by the way with their "vision of the future" montage), but how great would it have been to see 'Modern Times' with an animatronic Chaplin riding a giant cog?

Speaking of Horizons....another movie clip featured in Horizons was Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis', a movie so influential that the cyborg Maria was used as inspiration for a certain fussy golden 'droid in a galaxy far far away.

ezgif_com-crop-29.gif
->
enhanced-buzz-wide-12007-1398183917-59.jpg

cd3a2fe1-869f-4436-b4da-875c5eef06b1.jpg

Metropolis should have been included. I would have put it in place of the Casablanca scene.

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
The sad thing is with a name like "Great Movie Ride", it should have had a few scenes swapped in and out.

Charlie Chaplin got a shout out in the closing montage (and a brief clip in Horizons, by the way with their "vision of the future" montage), but how great would it have been to see 'Modern Times' with an animatronic Chaplin riding a giant cog?

Speaking of Horizons....another movie clip featured in Horizons was Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis', a movie so influential that the cyborg Maria was used as inspiration for a certain fussy golden 'droid in a galaxy far far away.

ezgif_com-crop-29.gif
->
enhanced-buzz-wide-12007-1398183917-59.jpg

cd3a2fe1-869f-4436-b4da-875c5eef06b1.jpg

Metropolis should have been included. I would have put it in place of the Casablanca scene.

That would've been really cool! It would have been great to see Chaplin in the ride. The ride could've started off with black and white movies like Chaplin then end with modern day movies like Avengers or another iconic modern day movie.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
If they had put an avengers and Star Wars scene into the existing ride that would have been the most popular ride at Disney. That would have been a great idea!
I know it would have been so amazing. I really miss The Great Movie Ride. Disney had such potential to fix it up. At least Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is a fantastic ride and a very worthy successor.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
It sounds like a good ride but could have been as well as rather than instead of GMR. I just loved chilling on that. 😎
I agree. I still think Disney should not have replaced Great Movie Ride. We cant fix what happened but we can think about what could've been.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Any kind of realistic re-do would've been substantial as I highly doubt there would've been executive support to re-up any of the licensing deals or to sign any new licensing deals. That said, the following film references would've probably needed replaced with a Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilms/Marvel/Fox property:
  • Footlight Parade (Warner Bros.) - Pre-Code Musical
  • Singin' in the Rain (MGM) - Post-Code Musical
  • The Public Enemy (Warner Bros.) - Gangster
  • A Fistful of Dollars (United Artists) - Western
  • The Searchers (Warner Bros.) - Western
  • Tarzan Man of the Apes (MGM) - Adventure
  • Casablanca (Warner Bros.) -Romance Drama
  • Wizard of Oz (MGM) - Musical Fantasy
  • Both the pre and post shows (various studios)
The only things that would've survived were Mary Poppins, Alien, Indiana Jones, and Fantasia with latter two being totally re-worked, expanded, or moved to broaden and improve their presence. The generic mummy tomb would've probably also been a good candidate for a re-do. Any kind of Marvel addition would obviously be significantly limited by the agreement with Universal Studios. Assuming 8 total films need replaced, here is a list of what I think would've been good candidates (in no particular order):
  1. The Sound of Music
  2. Star Wars (original trilogy)
  3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  4. Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier
  5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  6. Planet of the Apes (original version)
  7. Titanic
  8. Nightmare Before Christmas

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Any kind of realistic re-do would've been substantial as I highly doubt there would've been executive support to re-up any of the licensing deals or to sign any new licensing deals. That said, the following film references would've probably needed replaced with a Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilms/Marvel/Fox property:
The only things that would've survived were Mary Poppins, Alien, Indiana Jones, and Fantasia with latter two being totally re-worked, expanded, or moved to broaden and improve their presence. The generic mummy tomb would've probably also been a good candidate for a re-do. Any kind of Marvel addition would obviously be significantly limited by the agreement with Universal Studios. Assuming 8 total films need replaced, here is a list of what I think would've been good candidates (in no particular order):
  1. The Sound of Music
  7. Titanic
Holy cow that sounds amazing! I agree Mary Poppins, Alien, Indiana Jones, and Fantasia should have absolutely stayed and expanded. I would've ended the ride replacing Wizard of oz with Fantasia. Your idea sounds incredible. It would have been amazing to see Star Wars in this ride. I also would have an Avengers seen. It would be when they assemble in the first movie surrounded by the Chitauri.

FettFan

Holy cow that sounds amazing! I agree Mary Poppins, Alien, Indiana Jones, and Fantasia should have absolutely stayed and expanded. I would've ended the ride replacing Wizard of oz with Fantasia. Your idea sounds incredible. It would have been amazing to see Star Wars in this ride. I also would have an Avengers seen. It would be when they assemble in the first movie surrounded by the Chitauri.

Turn Alien into Aliens and host an animatronic Power Loader fight!
tumblr_p1q92gOxpa1wzvt9qo3_500.gifv
tumblr_pdu1biSqnX1rsgw6y_540.gif

macefamily

Please, not another Star Wars ride or Avengers at this time which would only cause more and more get-in-a-group-madness. I loved the Great Movie Ride. But I realize the commitment of the Imagneers to put something in there that was new, exciting, and technically awesome; which they did. I really love Runaway Railway.

Pepper's Ghost

1. The Sound of Music
  7. Titanic

Whoa... geez. Talk about peeing on the proverbial Main Street Electrical Parade. :rolleyes:🤪

All fantastic points. If we have to be realistic about owned movies and such, allow me to revise your list a tad. Some of those movies don't translate to great Movie Ride scenes IMO. :)
  1. The Sound of Music
  4. Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier Mrs Doubtfire
  6. Planet of the Apes (original version) Independence Day
  7. Titanic
  8. Nightmare Before Christmas (God no, I hate the HM overlay in DL at Christmas) Night at the Museum
You could have lots of fun with Night at the Museum if you ask me. There's so much going on in that movie. I4 would be cool for the Freak Show scene with the alien breaking out of containment. Actually, Planet of the Apes would probably work well on the ride. I'm just not a fan. 🤪

DisneyTalks

I always remember there being a huge line for great movie ride. The biggest mistake was taking away that ride. Im fine with Runaway Railway, looks fun! But honestly, it would've been great if that was placed elsewhere. The Great Movie Ride literally defines what Hollywood Studios is, and it sucks that they took away a such a huge staple of the park. It was its centerpiece. But if i had the chance to revamp it, I absolutely would. Seeing how great the animatronics are today, specifically in Avatars Navi River Journey, the animatronic at the end is incredible! Imagine how life like the great movie ride would be if they updated those animatronics with modern ones. Id love it.
Id also expand and add more to the ride. Id put back the fire that would appear in the cowboy section of the ride. Maybe make it more safe by pushing it farther or use a better alternative for it. Id take away the narration from TCM and leave the talking to the host and animatronics. Id also add a few scenes as part of the expansion. Id add a section for charley chaplin, Rocky Balboa, etc. Overall Id just expand it, update the technology, redo or add more to the movie sets to look more realistic.

Pepper's Ghost

I always remember there being a huge line for great movie ride. The biggest mistake was taking away that ride. Im fine with Runaway Railway, looks fun! But honestly, it would've been great if that was placed elsewhere. The Great Movie Ride literally defines what Hollywood Studios is, and it sucks that they took away a such a huge staple of the park. It was its centerpiece.

I tried to make this point too. I agree completely. The GMR and the Studio Backlot Tour were two of my faves, and sadly now both are gone. 🤬

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom