The Great Movie Ride II - Main Competition Thread

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Do you have a screenshot of this location with more context? I can’t seem to find it on the map.

This is a zoomed out shot if it helps with context (Mine Train location in the far bottom of the pic)? Adventureland actually encompassed more area just next to the Water World site (which is open) but that's where Raging Rapids was located.

1654453708879.png

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
This is a zoomed out shot if it helps with context (Mine Train location in the far bottom of the pic)? Adventureland actually encompassed more area just next to the Water World site (which is open) but that's where Raging Rapids was located.

View attachment 643766

On a side note, I did try to include a number of aerial shots and vantage points of the park where I could fit them in the video. Unlike @D Hulk , I've not been there, but there are a lot of neat features about this park with gondolas, escalators, etc. to traverse the various portions of the park and really stunning views around the exterior.

Chaos Cat

混沌猫的评论

Bright Reef
  • This is such a unique take on the idea of a "Dark Adventureland." Water-themed areas are always great (even if you did kind of overlap with the next round).
  • The Eldritch Lighthouse makes for both an amazing land icon and a great evolution of the drop tower concept.
  • Journey to the Sunken City is hands down the highlight of this round. Such a creative and meta concept brought to life wonderfully by @PerGron.
  • Mogui Grotto is a very unique take of a "haunted maze" type of attraction. Great use of "nothing is scarier."
  • The Ursula spinner feels a bit out of place in what is otherwise a fairly grounded land, but is a neat enough idea that I'll give it a pass.
  • I love how all the shops and restaurants are themed to different wreckages, and I mean that sincerely. Really adds to the atmosphere of the area.
  • All and all, a very strong start to the season.
Mean Street
  • Dark Toontown is not an expected land to use here (given that Hong Kong Disneland doesn't have a Toontown equivalate in the first place), but is certainly a cool idea, even if the name sounds too close to Main Street.
  • (Also, side note: "hey, what's that cat doing!?" - are... are you talking about me? Wait, I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about no siree. *totally innocent whistle*)
  • Okay, I have to point out that the font colors can make it a bit hard to read at times. I had to highlight the Beagle Boy shop to read it comfortable and Pete's dialog was straight up invisible.
  • Sorry about nitpicking there, but there is so little detail here that I have to in order to make this review a respectable length. Like, I know most of you guys were busy and I know that sucks and all (trust me, I've been there) so I won't be to hard on you guys, but the amount of contrast between you and Touchstone is ridiculous.
  • The only idea that's really fleshed out enough is Lonesome Tower, which is really cute and charming, if a bit unpolished. Good job, @DisneyFan32!
  • Again, this project was lacking a lot in detail. However, the ideas you had (including the stuff you couldn't finish, like the Judge Doom ride) were all solid, so I know this was just a case of real life getting in the way. Look forward to seeing what you guys can do when you have more free time!

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
混沌猫的评论

Bright Reef
  • This is such a unique take on the idea of a "Dark Adventureland." Water-themed areas are always great (even if you did kind of overlap with the next round).
  • The Eldritch Lighthouse makes for both an amazing land icon and a great evolution of the drop tower concept.
  • Journey to the Sunken City is hands down the highlight of this round. Such a creative and meta concept brought to life wonderfully by @PerGron.
  • Mogui Grotto is a very unique take of a "haunted maze" type of attraction. Great use of "nothing is scarier."
  • The Ursula spinner feels a bit out of place in what is otherwise a fairly grounded land, but is a neat enough idea that I'll give it a pass.
  • I love how all the shops and restaurants are themed to different wreckages, and I mean that sincerely. Really adds to the atmosphere of the area.
  • All and all, a very strong start to the season.
Mean Street
  • Dark Toontown is not an expected land to use here (given that Hong Kong Disneland doesn't have a Toontown equivalate in the first place), but is certainly a cool idea, even if the name sounds too close to Main Street.
  • (Also, side note: "hey, what's that cat doing!?" - are... are you talking about me? Wait, I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about no siree. *totally innocent whistle*)
  • Okay, I have to point out that the font colors can make it a bit hard to read at times. I had to highlight the Beagle Boy shop to read it comfortable and Pete's dialog was straight up invisible.
  • Sorry about nitpicking there, but there is so little detail here that I have to in order to make this review a respectable length. Like, I know most of you guys were busy and I know that sucks and all (trust me, I've been there) so I won't be to hard on you guys, but the amount of contrast between you and Touchstone is ridiculous.
  • The only idea that's really fleshed out enough is Lonesome Tower, which is really cute and charming, if a bit unpolished. Good job, @DisneyFan32!
  • Again, this project was lacking a lot in detail. However, the ideas you had (including the stuff you couldn't finish, like the Phantom Blot ride) were all solid, so I know this was just a case of real life getting in the way. Look forward to seeing what you guys can do when you have more free time!
@JokersWild is STILL working on Judge Doom attraction I guess...

ThemeParkPriest

SCENE 2

Into the Deep

- THIS WEEK’S SHOT LIST -

Design a new theme park attraction and world-class exhibit for Ocean Park

You can visit Ocean Park here

View attachment 643725

Using the roughly 4 acres of land formerly occupied by the parks’ Wild West Mine Train and facilities within Adventureland, your Studios will be utilizing the unique space and location to create a new theme park attraction and exhibit. The land area does come with its challenges, but also the opportunity to create something truly memorable with its prominent location overlooking the Aberdeen Channel.

Your projects should meet the park’s goal of continuing to promote education and/or conservation, but for our purposes, also help replace the rides that were lost with the current redo of the park. The type of exhibit and attraction are entirely up to you but keep in mind existing exhibits and attractions currently located within the park.

This week's Guest Judges:
@Chaos Cat
@Outbound
@ThemeParkPriest

This Project is due Saturday June 11th at 11:59 PM EST

Time Zones

Walt Disney World- 11:59 PM
Disneyland Park - 8:59 PM
Disneyland Paris - 5:59 AM
Disneyland Tokyo - 12:59 PM​

If and when I get to Hong Kong, I decided I'm doing one day at HKDL and one day at Ocean Park!

Looking forward to what the teams can come up with!

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Movie Trailer Logo.png

TRAILER TUESDAY

During Season 1 of The Great Movie Ride, we had a weekly segment called Trailer Tuesday that included a midweek side prompt of 1-3 sentences offering points to entries for movie pitches from the contestants. While we don't have side challenge this season, I thought it would be fun to formally keep that segment alive in some fashion and present the full-length trailer from the Scene video for that weeks' feature film.

Enjoy!

MagicKingdom4Ever

View attachment 644285

TRAILER TUESDAY

During Season 1 of The Great Movie Ride, we had a weekly segment called Trailer Tuesday that included a midweek side prompt of 1-3 sentences offering points to entries for movie pitches from the contestants. While we don't have side challenge this season, I thought it would be fun to formally keep that segment alive in some fashion and present the full-length trailer from the Scene video for that weeks' feature film.

Enjoy!

I feel like this is off topic. Not to mention, we're not done with our project yet. Not even close.

JokersWild

I feel like this is off topic. Not to mention, we're not done with our project yet. Not even close.
It’s just a fun little side thing that the hosts are throwing in to support the theme of the game and keep the thread active. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the actual projects - just a fun little aside to help turn us on to some movies we might not have seen before.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

Just part of the theme of the contest. Each week has a movie tie-in filmed in or taking place in our location for that week, as was the case with Enter the Dragon and Godzilla vs Kong from Scenes 1&2 in Hong Kong. (See the 1:35 mark of this week's Scene intro). Most weeks, the feature film is also going to tie into the challenge in some way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom