Trip Report The GRAND Birthday! *COMPLETED*

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:
That's the interesting thing -- something new, fun, or outright bizarre happens on all your trips, and that's what keeps us coming back for more. It's kinda like a written version (with photos), of a Tuvalu WDW reality show. :p Looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I had booked a lagoon view room as looking out at water relaxes me.

Never gave much thought to a first floor location at the Grand, but you and your mom had a very nice spot. (I only stayed at GF once, during a discounted time for Sugar Loaf Club Level). When I checked in, they upgraded me to Royal Palm Club in the main building. I was happy with that! (Still, not worth the money they charged, but I had to experience the GF just once in my life, for a few nights!) ;)

Bama14

The weather related closings in Georgia never cease to amaze me (as does the traffic but that's a different story). This coming from a Pennsylvania girl who moved here almost 7 years ago. At least down here the closings mean, as a teacher, I sometimes get the day off, whereas in PA it just meant you had to leave for work earlier to get there on time.

Loving it so far!
Yes, I am in south Alabama. We were closed on this same day. No threat of snow, the weather was just "too cold." Us southerners are admittedly very dramatic about the weather! :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Now that is a room with a view! 😍
The room location (and the room itself) looks amazing!
So nice to see how happy Mama Tuvalu was with the room. Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.
We were most pleased! It was amazing to sit on the bed and watch the activity on and around the lagoon. We could even see the monorails going into the Contemporary.

And welcome back @RedNoseMickey! You’ve been missed!

Never gave much thought to a first floor location at the Grand, but you and your mom had a very nice spot. (I only stayed at GF once, during a discounted time for Sugar Loaf Club Level). When I checked in, they upgraded me to Royal Palm Club in the main building. I was happy with that! (Still, not worth the money they charged, but I had to experience the GF just once in my life, for a few nights!) ;)
I found myself really liking the first floor. And am a bit jealous of your Royal Palm Club upgrade....it’s certainly on my wish list (as in “I wish it wasn’t so expensive” :joyfull:)

Yes, thank you (as I wipe away the tears running down my face) :p
Laughter is good for the soul!

Us southerners are admittedly very dramatic about the weather! :)
Ain’t that the truth!

Happy B-Day!
Loved the gif!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

After sampling an Angel Dip, we left our lovely room for our first park adventure. It was not Animal Kingdom (Request #1) so it had to be Request #2 ~

Our transportation luck continued as this bus pulled up the moment we arrived. :happy:

Now for some reason I had in my head that the new bus station at DHS had opened. I didn’t expect we’d have to make that marathon walk to the front entrance. I certainly would have given Mom a head’s up in advance. I saw her look of bewilderment when we were dropped off in Siberia.

This directional sign was the halfway point. Note the location for the GF bus.

Oh you new bus station, when are you gonna be open??!!!

These restrooms will be convenient.....once they open!

I am a timekeeper. That fact is pretty obvious in my trip reports. I always wear a watch and pack a travel clock in case my room doesn’t have one. I am cognizant of the time for FPs and ADRs and check the time repeatedly.

I am the opposite of @Figment Forever 😘

I admit I am a tad obsessive. I decided to time our walk from the bus stop to the front gate. Mom and I both walk at a quick pace (to which @TrolleyFollower91 and @Woodywrkr can attest) and were in perpetual motion until we reached security.

Care to guess how long it took?

Eleven minutes!

My “exact timing” will come into play later in this TR and will come back to bite me!

There was no line at security and you know what that means.....a grumpy screener who slowly checks every nook and cranny of your bag. (Maybe this only happens to me?)

Even Mom commented about the surly attitude of our screener. But only a moment later we’d encounter a CM who was his polar opposite. I told Mom to stand by the filmstrip sign.......

....and an exuberant CM rushed over, calling “wait, wait wait!” and insisted I join Mom in the picture.

He had a huge smile on his face and just gushed over us, making us feel truly welcomed.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am always nervous now when I approach a tapstile, especially at the start of a trip. Will Mickey’s head turn green?

It did! Mom’s did too.

I suggested we stop for a picture. Note the approaching photobombers.

It’s Jack Diamond, Evie Starlight and Stone Granite!

No sooner had I dropped the clapboard and Jack Diamond called out to us. He engaged Mom immediately.

Wait....is he FLIRTING with my mama??!! :jawdrop:

I asked if they would pose for a picture.

Attempt #1

Attempt #2

#Streetmospherelove

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
When I planned to visit DHS on our arrival day, I knew there would be no chance of obtaining Slinky Dog FPs. So I also planned to visit on our last day, giving us 60 + 5 odds of a SDD FP.

But even those odds were not in our favor. :arghh:

Mom was very interested in riding Slinky. I was willing to wait however long she wanted. I expected standby to be at least an hour but was surprised that it was still 90 minutes on a random Tuesday afternoon in January.

Until I saw the crowds....

“Not waiting 90 minutes,” declared Mom.

So we waited 45 minutes for Toy Story Mania instead.

Attention fellow Boomers ~ did you collect Viewmaster reels like I did?

How about Balsa wood planes?

(Note to Millennials ~ it was a simpler time. 😉)

I usually ride TSM with a FP....can’t remember the last time I was in the standby queue. But standby guests get rewarded with a performance by Mr. Potato Head!

I am not ashamed to say I was giddy with excitement! I’ll spare you the other half-dozen pics I took!

But I have to share Life Guard Louie.

😍

DisneyGigi

When I planned to visit DHS on our arrival day, I knew there would be no chance of obtaining Slinky Dog FPs. So I also planned to visit on our last day, giving us 60 + 5 odds of a SDD FP.

Mom was very interested in riding Slinky. I was willing to wait however long she wanted. I expected standby to be at least an hour but was surprised that it was still 90 minutes on a random Tuesday afternoon in January.

View attachment 351214

View attachment 351215

View attachment 351216

View attachment 351217

I usually ride TSM with a FP....can’t remember the last time I was in the standby queue. But standby guests get rewarded with a performance by Mr. Potato Head!

View attachment 351218

View attachment 351219

View attachment 351220

I am not ashamed to say I was giddy with excitement! I’ll spare you the other half-dozen pics I took!

View attachment 351221
😍
I don’t think I am a Boomer, Gen X I guess, but loved my viewmaster, treasured my Disney ones, since I never got to go as a child. Also had the planes, and is that from Old Maid cards?? I also remember Tackling Tommy for some reason. Much simpler, better times. Kids actually played outside.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
“You’re not going to clobber me on my birthday, are you?”

DOES MY MOTHER NOT KNOW ME AT ALL??!!!

😁😁😁

“You need to stand by the checkerboard wall.”
“Why?”
“It’s a thing.”

She quickly learned not to ask “why” to certain poses and just rolled with it.

Our selfie effort at the popsicle stick wall:

The next stop during our exploration of Toy Story Land:

We took a quick peek at Alien Swirling Saucers (had a FP for later) and checked out Woody’s Lunch Box (bought nothing, too close to dinner.) Mom loved all the details in this enchanting area (she especially liked Andy’s footprints in the concrete) and felt TSL was a nice family addition to the Studios.

93boomer

Premium Member

View attachment 351214

View attachment 351215

View attachment 351216

View attachment 351217

View attachment 351218

View attachment 351219

View attachment 351220

View attachment 351221
😍
Yess I did!! Loved viewmaster!!! I even bought my DD one when she was little.😉

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We meandered through other areas of the park which weren’t nearly as crowded as TSL.

Is she excited for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway?

The last time I took a photo of Mom in this spot it looked like this:

Like me, Mom was a fan of the Great Movie Ride. She also wishes there had been plans to “refresh” the attraction and not demolish it. (At least the outside of the building remains unchanged!)

Saw this in the Christmas shop. Regret that I didn’t buy it!

Again, PizzeRizzo? Why do you keep taunting us?

Will you be open SPRING BREAK? Cause Em and I have been patient long enough!

93boomer

Premium Member
We meandered through other areas of the park which weren’t nearly as crowded as TSL.

Is she excited for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway?
View attachment 351244

The last time I took a photo of Mom in this spot it looked like this:

View attachment 351250

Like me, Mom was a fan of the Great Movie Ride. She also wishes there had been plans to “refresh” the attraction and not demolish it. (At least the outside of the building remains unchanged!)

Saw this in the Christmas shop. Regret that I didn’t buy it!
View attachment 351246

Again, PizzeRizzo? Why do you keep taunting us?
View attachment 351245

Will you be open SPRING BREAK? Cause Em and I have been patient long enough!
Awww those ornaments!!!! 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom