Trip Report The graduation trip that finally happened!

Hello! We are back and I am ready to share our trip with everyone!

Who:
2022-06-16 - Disney Dream - Disney Dream_4.jpeg

Me (Amy), my husband Brian, Owen (14), Lily (17), and Logan (19) (And it appears that I am now the shortest in the family!!)

Why: We were celebrating Logan's high school graduation (which happened to be last year, but as most of you already know, our cruise was cancelled last summer)

Where: Port Canaveral, Miami, The Dream, and Animal Kingdom Lodge

When: June 12-23, 2022

Our goal was to leave the house by 1 or 1:30am on Sunday, June 12. My alarm went off at midnight and Brian and I quickly showered and rounded up the kids who never went to bed. We quickly loaded the car and were pulling out of the McDonald's parking lot with 2 large Cokes at 1:20! I always start the drive as I don't sleep well in the car and Brian does, so he sleeps a little longer initially so he can then take over. It was raining when we left and quickly turned into a downpour. Cincinnati is a huge obstacle course of orange cones, lane closures, and lane shifts which is difficult to navigate at the best of times, but was horrendous in the pitch black with the pouring rain! Brian checked the satellite and assured me that it would stop once we got into Kentucky. I was never so happy to see the Brent Spence bridge...only to met by even harder rain in Covington! Brian said, "whoops! I guess it followed us!" He got a not very nice look from me! Luckily, it did stop raining shortly and I got us all the way through Kentucky and into Tennessee. I was still feeling awake enough to keep driving, so I got us to Knoxville and navigated our new route onto 40 to start heading east. Brian then took over and I got a few pics along the way since it was more scenic than our normal trip straight down 75.

You'll have to pardon the bug guts on our windshield! We couldn't keep up with keeping the windshield clean!
20220612_061844.jpg

20220612_063408.jpg

We went through several tunnels.
20220612_064432.jpg

The reason they are called the Great Smoky Mountains:
20220612_065805.jpg

We saw quite a few hot air balloons at one point.
20220612_072409.jpg

We eventually hit 26 and then 95. I wouldn't say the traffic was necessarily any better than 75, but Brian was happy to not have to drive through Atlanta and it was much more scenic!

We finally saw this at about 1:30pm:
20220612_132053.jpg

We had stopped shortly before that, so no one wanted to stop at the Welcome Center for me!
We finally were able to experience Buc-ee's for ourselves! It was quite an experience and almost overwhelming!
20220612_142058.jpg

We pulled into our hotel in Port Canaveral about 4:30pm.
20220612_163111.jpg

We stayed in the Home2Suites side. It was odd to have 2 different hotels under the same roof since they shared the pool and had the same breakfast offerings.
We unloaded the car and debated what we would have for dinner. Some of us wanted pizza and some wanted seafood. The pizza people won out since there was a pizza place right across the street.
20220612_171807.jpg

We should have had seafood!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your family’s adventures with us!

up the movie GIF
Such a good TR. Thank for sharing.
Thanks foe this wonderful trip report!!
This was great, thanks for taking the time to share it!
Great TR!! Thank you!
What a fantastic graduation trip! Thanks for letting me tag along 😊
You're welcome! I'm so glad you all enjoyed it!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I have loved reading about this trip so much - opposite of @Billy6 - I was kind of wishing it wouldn’t end! 😁
Thank you for taking the time to take so many photos of your surroundings. It really feels like we got to see a lot of what you saw. I know it probably takes some time to post them all and I appreciate it.
Maybe Logan will get an internship at the Cape and you’ll be ‘forced’ to go visit him and maybe your car will detour towards the Orlando exit….🤷🏻‍♀️ Stranger things have happened! 😊
Thanks again!
You're welcome! Thanks for hanging in till the end! I would absolutely love it if he got to intern at the Cape. University of Iowa does a lot with NASA, so it is actually a possibility! And of course my car would detour!!

fractal

What an awesome, awesome trip! I'm sure you'll remember this one forever. You guys did everything and it shows with your kids how much they have loved and continue to love your Disney trips!

Great photos as well, really appreciate seeing them! Your photography skills are improving greatly with every report.

All the best to Lily as she starts her next chapter and also all the best to your entire family. Thanks for taking so much time and effort to share with us!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
What an awesome, awesome trip! I'm sure you'll remember this one forever. You guys did everything and it shows with your kids how much they have loved and continue to love your Disney trips!

Great photos as well, really appreciate seeing them! Your photography skills are improving greatly with every report.

All the best to Lily as she starts her next chapter and also all the best to your entire family. Thanks for taking so much time and effort to share with us!
Thanks, Chris! It was definitely a trip to remember. I wish I had more time to work on photography. I would like to take full advantage of my DSLR, but I was pleased with how my Galaxy S22 ultra did this trip. I'll give Lily your well wishes, but I'm a little worried about her since she has no clue what she wants to do or where she wants to go! We'll see what happens!

cgersic

Truly sad to see this one end! So many things to see and the smiles on everyone's faces is just priceless! I can't say enough great things about your photos (I think I tried as I went along) but one of my favorite things is the way you got the buildings from the AKL balcony along with the savannah in those photos - the colors and theming make you feel like you're right there. Great job! Good luck to the kids and I look forward to the updates and the next trip!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Truly sad to see this one end! So many things to see and the smiles on everyone's faces is just priceless! I can't say enough great things about your photos (I think I tried as I went along) but one of my favorite things is the way you got the buildings from the AKL balcony along with the savannah in those photos - the colors and theming make you feel like you're right there. Great job! Good luck to the kids and I look forward to the updates and the next trip!
Thanks! I will definitely post updates periodically and will let everyone know how the NYC trip goes!

LisaBelle

Great report Amy! I’m so glad you were finally able to celebrate Logan’s graduation in style! I especially loved seeing all the photos from the cruise! We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge on our first WDW trip and absolutely loved it. We didn’t get to do the night safari though. I am definitely going to add it to my Disney bucket list! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with all of us!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Great report Amy! I’m so glad you were finally able to celebrate Logan’s graduation in style! I especially loved seeing all the photos from the cruise! We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge on our first WDW trip and absolutely loved it. We didn’t get to do the night safari though. I am definitely going to add it to my Disney bucket list! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with all of us!
You're welcome, and thanks for following along!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We just finished a pretty emotional few days (at least for me!). We moved Logan into an apartment in Iowa City. Whe I'm glad that he is becoming independent, it hit me hard that he is not likely to live at home with us again.
Cute building that he is in:
20220731_192202.jpg

He is in the bottom corner unit at the back of the building.
20220802_071834.jpg

That alley is used by lots of people and is actually very safe despite the looks of it!

A few interior pics:
20220801_211448.jpg

20220801_205310.jpg

20220801_172021.jpg

We still have a few little things to get for it, but it is mostly ready for him to move in as soon as his parking space becomes available on the 15th.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We just finished a pretty emotional few days (at least for me!). We moved Logan into an apartment in Iowa City. Whe I'm glad that he is becoming independent, it hit me hard that he is not likely to live at home with us again.
Cute building that he is in:
View attachment 657822

He is in the bottom corner unit at the back of the building.
View attachment 657823

That alley is used by lots of people and is actually very safe despite the looks of it!

A few interior pics:
View attachment 657825
View attachment 657826
View attachment 657827

We still have a few little things to get for it, but it is mostly ready for him to move in as soon as his parking space becomes available on the 15th.
I hope that bedroom has another AC unit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom