The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And then they did much worse once consoles came around and you didn’t have to constantly pay anymore ;)

You don’t have to defend it.
The idea that all micro transactions are bad is lunacy. If someone buying a virtual hat keeps the price of a game at $60, I am all for it.

Like I said before..

If a game is free to play; micro transaction what every you want.

If I pay for a game; micro transactions should be cosmetic only or add additional content. Pay to win is a no go.

wdwfan4ver

To me, Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone was one of first if not the fist Arcade Micro transaction game that took it to an extreme level. Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone was ahead of its time for Micro transactions back in 1990.

Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone had you use real money in the game itself. Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone had a store in the game itself on multiple levels that you use real money to get extra health, special movies, extra men, and weapons. The game itself basically forces the game player to use the store by making it insanely difficult. Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone forces the player to start the game without Special movies, weapons, extra men, weapons, and not all you energy if you don't enter that shop in the game.

Last edited:

Mike S

Original Poster
The idea that all micro transactions are bad is lunacy. If someone buying a virtual hat keeps the price of a game at $60, I am all for it.

Like I said before..

If a game is free to play; micro transaction what every you want.

If I pay for a game; micro transactions should be cosmetic only or add additional content. Pay to win is a no go.
I actually agree with that. Why were you one of the defenders of Battlefront 2 then?

Jimmy Thick

Just finished Final Fantasy 15 and have to say it’s the best game I’ve played this year so far. While I played the superior PC version graphically, 90 FPS puts to shame the 30 FPS console offerings especially during combat which is incredibly fluid, I will highly recommended any version as long as you play it and experience the amazing story.

Easily the third best FF ever made after 6 and 7.

And if this game don’t get you choked up at the end your totally dead inside. It also features more mid- credit scenes than any Marvel movie.

10 out of 10 would play again.

Mike S

Original Poster
Well this came out of nowhere.

Gotta love how lootboxes have become so controversial that devs everywhere seem to be scrambling. The ones who stayed out of it in the first place can pat themselves on the back.

Jimmy Thick

Hella yeah! I just got the Ultimate Wizardry Archives and finally, FINALLY got a copy of Wizardry IV which is considered the hardest game ever made. The game is so rare rumor has it to make the Archive they developers had to actually ask the pubic for a working copy because there was no master disk. This is a future Twitch stream.

Currently playing:

Overwatch
World of Warcraft
Hearthstone
Might and Magic 2- My weekly moldy oldie

Currently recommending:

Dragon Age Inquisitor with all DLC
Final Fantasy 15 with all DLC
The Curse of Monkey Island, FINALLY on GoG!
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Upcoming:
Wizardry IV
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Mike S

Original Poster
Hella yeah! I just got the Ultimate Wizardry Archives and finally, FINALLY got a copy of Wizardry IV which is considered the hardest game ever made. The game is so rare rumor has it to make the Archive they developers had to actually ask the pubic for a working copy because there was no master disk. This is a future Twitch stream.

Currently playing:

Overwatch
World of Warcraft
Hearthstone
Might and Magic 2- My weekly moldy oldie

Currently recommending:

Dragon Age Inquisitor with all DLC
Final Fantasy 15 with all DLC
The Curse of Monkey Island, FINALLY on GoG!
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Upcoming:
Wizardry IV
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
So you do have a Switch :)

Mike S

Original Poster
Spyro Reignited Trilogy confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One (so far).

I have a few guesses as to why there’s no Switch confirmation when this game clearly isn’t a timed exclusive like Crash was.

1. Nintendo’s holding off to announce it themselves in a Direct like they did last year with DOOM and Wolfenstein 2. Those games could’ve easily been announced by Bethesda at E3.

2. Toys for Bob are the developers bringing Crash to the Switch and they’re also the ones making Spyro. Maybe it’s simply a case of resources. This could also explain the lack of a PC announcement which Crash is also confirmed for.

With Crash coming, I don’t see this not coming. Not even two years in and I’m getting so many more games than the entire life of the Wii U. That console was freaking depressing in hindsight.

Mike S

Original Poster
It’s been taken down since but this was on Nintendo’s UK online store.
DaCopEvWAAAfhSd.jpg

Now we wait. For some reason Nintendo likes to announce certain third party games themselves. Maybe it’s to give them more of a spotlight and help them sell which if that’s the case it’s been working as some third parties have been very happy with sales so far.

Underdog

@Mike S I would like your comment, but I dont want EA to think I'm ok with dlc dlc. Lol

What I just don't get is why people still support EA at all. As much as I wanted battlefront, I waited because I just didn't trust them. And sure enough they didn't let me down. So I picked it up for super cheap a year later. If the collective didn't get the new Madden, fifa or battlefield... EA might just get the hint. But in a lot of respects, EA is like Disney. If people are willing, just keep pushing.

I get where you are coming from and agree, but as an NFL fan, where do I go? NBA, FIFA, and FPS fans have other options. That exclusivity deal with the NFL cuts deep. And, while they 'refresh' a lot of Madden, the product hasn't been bad the past 2-3 years.

Overall, EA has the resources to get the licenses for the popular IP that gamers (casual and serious) want to play, so they have some leverage. I'm glad this one with BFII didn't spin their way. However, with GaaS coming on stronger, with offerings like EA Access and now Microsoft's Games Pass, I'm expecting more non consumer friendly behavior & offerings to come our way. I hope we don't ever get to all digital future. The lack of consumer rights on that front is still scary.

(Sorry to go down that rabbit hole you all...)

Last edited:

Underdog

They simply never held my attention.

I grew up in the late 70's early 80's playing cabinet style arcade games, because that was all we had. A story for most was pretty limited. The original consoles like the 2600, ColecoVision and the original NES were more of the same. The only games I really liked of that era were the text based ones on the C64 like Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide and Leather Goddess of Phobos.

It also did not help that I was dirt poor. The only games I usually had were the ones that came with the console. My NES experience did not go much farther than Mario, Duck Hunt and Excite Bike.

I found a lot more enjoyment in playing AD&D and reading. With AD&D, a $30 investment bought me and my friends a near endless run of entertainment.

I really did not get into gaming until PC gaming until the early 90's. My BIL helped me build a 386/40 when I was around 20. Some of the first games I played were ones like Myst, X-Wing and Wing Commander. Those were the ones that stuck as there was a story and not just the aggravation of missing one of the final jumps by .001 seconds on life number 3 on a side scroller.

Ahh... ok. Kinda sounds like some family I have. They didn't want to be 'joystick jockeys' (their word not mine...) :)

Jimmy Thick

Heading down to the Midwest Gaming Classic to hopefully buy a classic Nintendo Popeye arcade cabinet. I have good info one will be there so hopefully I won't have to drop over a grand on it. Got to love these conventions.

Mike S

Original Poster
Heading down to the Midwest Gaming Classic to hopefully buy a classic Nintendo Popeye arcade cabinet. I have good info one will be there so hopefully I won't have to drop over a grand on it. Got to love these conventions.
Pretty cool. It’s the game Miyamoto finally got to make after they couldn’t get the license before Donkey Kong. Wish I could have a game room.

erasure fan1

I get where you are coming from and agree, but as an NFL fan, where do I go? NBA, FIFA, and FPS fans have other options.
Well thats the kicker. The only place to go is some other genre. EA knows you have no place to go, and they also know you won't stop playing. So they can do whatever they want. I'd say go play fortnite but that's about as much fun as getting poked in the eye every 5min. Lol

Mike S

Original Poster
Wow. I think it’s safe to say loot boxes as we knew them are dead and buried. Not even good guy Blizzard is safe. And prison time? Yeeeesh.

If companies keep insisting on microtransactions I can only see it being like the overhauled BFII where you get free loot boxes but can also pay directly for exactly what you want. Still scummy though not in a way that breaks the law.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom