The Future of the Disney-MGM Studios

What do you think about the current state of the Backlot Tour??

• I love it just how it is now!!

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I like it but it used to be better...

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I think it needs some major improvements to stay open...

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • I totally think it should be taken out, it has no substance to it anymore...

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

MonorailGreen

Original Poster
As most of us know the animation department at the Disney-MGM Studios has closed but will that open new doors for the future of the park or just really hurt it because it is not a "working studio" as much anymore??

There is a lot of space that will be wasted when animation is completely out of the park and I think that this could open doors for new rides and attractions at the studios. If Disney takes advantage of still having the MGM name tacked on the could get some awesome attractions. Other expansion ideas could have something to do with "Finding Nemo" or "Monsters Inc." to show how computer animation is changing the industry, the reason for the animation department closure. The ideas are just endless... Imagineering should be all over this!!

What do you all think about the future of the Disney-MGM Studios?? What should or should not happen?? The only expansion currently underway is the Motor Stunt Show but what about something else??

Steamboat_Kevin

I think its great the way it is, I love all of the attractions there.
Especially the Great Movie Ride, Muppet Vision 3D and Rock n Roller Coaster.
Its probably my favorite park besides MK :)

MagicalMonorail

I hope they get some more actual rides. The shows are great but some new rides would be awesome. Maybe not thrill rides since they have ToT and RnRC. Some dark rides or the Indy ride would be cool. Hopefully the Imagineers are already thinking of something.

Chewooki

I love MGM! I love the theme, the decor, everything.....but as they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Most of the time, change is good, as long as it keeps with the theme. I wish the animators were still there, as that was one my most fav. parts of MGM. I loved seeing the work in progress and what was coming up in the next year. I do not have artistic talent and I am amazed at how easy they make it look. To me, animators at Disney are a necessity as well as heritage.

Just a thought!

bdhowell

I believe that the Studios will be fine with the removal of the animation department. I think that we will see some changes with the new space that will be available. The park still has its theme of a movie park. All of its attractions are based on show business. So the park will not degrade, it may just help!!

bartman454

Ah the state of the studios address, while i do believe their are some minor to medium problems, the current state of the studios is good. Attendance wise they are 2nd behind the big MK and most of the attractions have held up very well. First the Good, RNR Coaster and the Tower are still thrilling them, along with stuff for the smaller set with Playhouse DIsney and Mermaid. The best thing right now at the studios is that theirs a good mix. As for the bad, GMR is starting to get some age to it despite its 3 month rehab last year, also Sounds Dangerous despite my own personal liking of the show, needs to be replaced

As for the Ugly, Muppetvision 3d effects need to be updated (not likely due to the current status of Jim Henson Co.) Also Star Tours badly needs a new film (hopefully soon the bearded one will have some free time) and last but not least something ANYTHING needs to be done with the ABC Theater rather than just being used a few times a year for special events:brick:

But thats just my 2 cents

andre85

Originally posted by bartman454

As for the Ugly, Muppetvision 3d effects need to be updated (not likely due to the current status of Jim Henson Co.) Also Star Tours badly needs a new film (hopefully soon the bearded one will have some free time) and last but not least something ANYTHING needs to be done with the ABC Theater rather than just being used a few times a year for special events:brick:

But thats just my 2 cents

Ah man, those are two of my most favorite attractions. I think Muppets 3D only seems old because we’ve seen it to many times. As for Star Tours, I still think the film holds up quite well. Granted, all the effects were created with models as opposed to computers, but I actually prefer it (at this point in time computer effects – for the most part – are still fairly obvious). Not to mention the queue is one of the best. The only thing that really needs to be changed is the hair style on that girl in the pre-show video.

Edit: I especially don't want Star Tours touched if that means basing the film around the new Star Wars trilogy.

MartyMouse

The future of the Disney/MGM Studios is a questionable mystery. I guess the days of having anything that resembles a working studio are far behind us, so Disney should turn a new page in the parks legacy. The first thing I would do (if Disney would ask me) would turn the animation courtyard into a Disney Channel area, you have Playhouse Disney and the Little Mermaid there take it to the next logical place and develop a cross promotion area maybe even shoot Disney Channel segments there like Nickelodeon over at Universal.

Next just turn the area near Indiana Jones and Star Tours over to Lucasfilm, a strategic partnership would benefit both companies. Perhaps create a behind the scenes of ILM attraction.

Disney should also explore its MGM partnership and create attractions or shows that tie into classics like “Gone with the Wind” or the “Wizard of OZ” and don’t forget that MGM holds the rights to Stargate (thrill ride?).

The whole area near Pizza Planet needs to gutted and turned into a Pixar area (Invincibles or Monsters Inc.) with an attraction or show.

The soundstage area needs to be developed around non-Disney Disney properties. ABC Soap Operas should be developed into a show or attraction (adult women need something to do). I hate to say it but now that Disney owns Power Rangers they should develop an attraction around that huge property. Also Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone Pictures and Mirimax have all produced films that could easily inspire attractions (Spy Kids, Reign of Fire, Armageddon, The Crow, The Color of Money, Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, Shanghai Noon … ect …)

I don’t know just a few late night ramblings.
:p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indy

MGM - IJESS + IJTFE = :)

(Indy EMV instead of Stunt Show.... the show will be 16 years old by the time Moteurs..Action!! opens. Of course 2 Indy attractions side by side would be ideal but this is the Evil Eisner Era...

lukacseven

I'd like to see the area done over as part of the backlot tour. Wouldn't it be great to include a few memorable scenes from popular movies and then show how they may have actually done it (sort of like the naval battle at the beginnin gof the tour). Maybe the indoor portions of the actual studios can showcase the animation technology of past Disney hits. Just a few thoughts.

bartman454

Well andre my main beef about Muppetvision 3D right now is the quality of the effects. Sometimes i sit somewhere and Fozzie never showers me with anything, Muppets is generally a maintenance issue i still love the show (Sam Eagle: "Its a salute to all nations but mostly America") As for GMR i stand by my original comments same theme with some different movies although goodness knows that will be a while due to the copyright issues and what not. As for Star Tours I agree models do look a lot better then CGI but in certain instances it can look pretty damm cool just like the speeder chase in Coruscant in Episode II. Thats my 2 cents.

JBSLJames

:lookaroun :lookaroun Bring on :lookaroun :lookaroun the :lookaroun :lookaroun THRILL RIDES:lookaroun

appropriately themed of course

Main Street USA

Aaaahhh, the Studios.

Well, as much as I think it's WAY off in the future, (if it happens at all) Disneyland's Indy ride would be an unbelievably perfect addition right now. It's such a well done attraction, and I think it could even be perfected if duplicated in WDW. Imagine a single park with so many truly well done attractions, with even more room for E-Ticket experiences (which doesn't mean thrills) to come.

As said above, the possibilities are virtually endless.

imagineersrock

Originally posted by MartyMouse
The future of the Disney/MGM Studios is a questionable mystery. I guess the days of having anything that resembles a working studio are far behind us, so Disney should turn a new page in the parks legacy. The first thing I would do (if Disney would ask me) would turn the animation courtyard into a Disney Channel area, you have Playhouse Disney and the Little Mermaid there take it to the next logical place and develop a cross promotion area maybe even shoot Disney Channel segments there like Nickelodeon over at Universal.

Next just turn the area near Indiana Jones and Star Tours over to Lucasfilm, a strategic partnership would benefit both companies. Perhaps create a behind the scenes of ILM attraction.

Disney should also explore its MGM partnership and create attractions or shows that tie into classics like “Gone with the Wind” or the “Wizard of OZ” and don’t forget that MGM holds the rights to Stargate (thrill ride?).

The whole area near Pizza Planet needs to gutted and turned into a Pixar area (Invincibles or Monsters Inc.) with an attraction or show.

The soundstage area needs to be developed around non-Disney Disney properties. ABC Soap Operas should be developed into a show or attraction (adult women need something to do). I hate to say it but now that Disney owns Power Rangers they should develop an attraction around that huge property. Also Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone Pictures and Mirimax have all produced films that could easily inspire attractions (Spy Kids, Reign of Fire, Armageddon, The Crow, The Color of Money, Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, Shanghai Noon … ect …)

thank you so much. I'm so glad to see someone with the same visions for this park. i thought your ideas of having different sections of the park devoted to different companies ie, pixar section, lucasfilm section, etc. was a very good one.

i also particularly enjoyed your idea of making a disney channel section where they'd shoot segments for their channel.. these kinds of things are exactly what i'm talking about when saying we need to bring the real working studios feel back to the park

also, if anything, i feel that the closure of the animation studios at this point in time was a horrible thing.. with so little working studios atmosphere left, closing this was pretty much the end of the end IMO.

PLEASE disney.. bring back the good old days of the disney-mgm studios...

ImagineerFan04

Originally posted by imagineersrock
thank you so much. I'm so glad to see someone with the same visions for this park. i thought your ideas of having different sections of the park devoted to different companies ie, pixar section, lucasfilm section, etc. was a very good one.

i also particularly enjoyed your idea of making a disney channel section where they'd shoot segments for their channel.. these kinds of things are exactly what i'm talking about when saying we need to bring the real working studios feel back to the park

also, if anything, i feel that the closure of the animation studios at this point in time was a horrible thing.. with so little working studios atmosphere left, closing this was pretty much the end of the end IMO.

PLEASE disney.. bring back the good old days of the disney-mgm studios...

I agree with the whole section thing.

Please bring back the hand drawn animation. and make some movie and shows in the park. If computer animation is so popular make a computer animation tour. mabe make a pixarland and have them open a small florida studios in the Disney-MGM studios.
and make attractions on movies like james bond and spy kinds and make some attractions based on books like HP. and video game like KH would make good attractions

ImagineerFan04

BTW i love the studios and how it is i just think it needs more attractions and needs to have more movies made there along with hand drawn animation and even computer animation(since that is taking over)

Shaman

What ever happens I think there should be NO MORE SHOWS...rides are needed...I would like to see a Villains vs Heroes attraction something along the lines of Spidy in IOA...only BETTER....I for one would prefer something other than Indi at the Studios, but I recognize that it would be a nice addition to the park...the film for star tours should have been update yesterday and I would like to see Touchstone movies represented in the park...especially if they could bring an AE type of attraction (maybe a ride this time, instead of a theater) and base it on the SIGNS movie....

If its going to be called Studios...then there should be additions that also make it look and feel like a working studio...for that reason I think that the Backlot tour should remain, with some additions to it...

The Animation attraction should be redone to make it look like the one in DCA, and an HYPERION Theater (maybe built where the Beauty and the Beast show lies) would be great and should be built at the Studios rather than at MK or Epcot....

To me the studios has always been the most disorganized of all the parks...and if any expansion is done to it in the future...I think organization should be considered...anyways just some thoughts...

ImagineerFan04

since most people voted that they think it needs major improvement to stay open it gave me an idea. i'm going to start a thread in a little while about improving the current state pf the studios we each are going to do an area.

PhilharMagician

Originally posted by MartyMouse

Now, Armageddon could make a crazy ride and so could Stargate. WooHoo

Hello imagineers are you listeneing!!:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom