The Future Of Pirates Of The Caribbean?

Darkprime

Original Poster
So last thing we heard were the writers from deadpool were working on a reboot that seemingly did not feature Captain Jack Sparrow but apparently they jumped ship and there's been radio silence ever since. What would you like to see from the future of the Pirates franchise? In a perfect world Ideally Id want one last hurrah with Jack Sparrow and the old crew with some of the new crew from the last movie resolving the post credit scene of Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Basically Pirates of the Caribbean 6. Bring back the cast of Dead Men Tell No Tales. I liked the addition of Henry and Carina. All though Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa Is probably done which is a shame. Then again when has a character being dead ever stopped them from bringing them back? If they really want to they downsize Jacks role to a simple cameo they can I dont mind as long as hes in the film. Just bring Back Davy Jones. Since thats what the post credit scene hinted at. And of course Will and Elizabeth. Then you can reboot without Jack.

RandySavage

There are only a handful of franchises that have created really great world-building over 3 or more films and PotC is one of them. So for that reason alone, I'd like to see it keep steadily releasing content (as MCU or Star Wars franchises do).

That said, I'm of opposite opinion to yours... I think they need to let go of all of those main characters, especially Sparrow & the Turners, and create fresh new characters and storylines (with maybe a cameo or two by sidekicks from the films). PotC 5 had a very poor choice of writer in Nathanson who whacked out a poorly-conceived script that contradicted several established story elements. It had great production design and very good casting, but so much that happened made no logical sense. I get that it's a fantasy movie, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted. That movie could have been a lot better had they not tried to desperately link it back to the originals with the Turners, the Compass, etc, - and removing Will's curse has now made At World's End conclusion much less impactful.

I think a big budget TV series on Disney+ (like a lighter, more comedic/fantasy version of Black Sails) would be a good break from the big screen and allow them to test out new characters (Depp could appear in one episode, as Ford did in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles). If they have a breakout character, then make a big budget film with Depp back as mentor character - or better yet, the antagonist!

There was one blip on the radar. With the Deadpool writers walking, Disney got in touch with one of the original writers.

Captain Barbossa

PotC 5 had a very poor choice of writer in Nathanson who whacked out a poorly-conceived script that contradicted several established story elements. It had great production design and very good casting, but so much that happened made no logical sense. I get that it's a fantasy movie, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted. That movie could have been a lot better had they not tried to desperately link it back to the originals with the Turners, the Compass, etc, - and removing Will's curse has now made At World's End conclusion much less impactful.
This × 1000. DMTNT had so much potential and excitement built up, but all of that was ruined thanks to Jeff Nathanson and his sorry excuse for a story and screenplay. It's clear that he doesn't know how to write for a Johnny Depp film. I'm surprised but I'm not surprised that the studios approved that crap. If you can't get Ted and Terry to write both the story and screenplay togther, then don't make the movie! The directors were also horrible. Sadly, Gore Verbinski's Disney days are most likely over (thanks Lone Ranger), but they could've gotten Rob Marshall to come back. I thought he did a great job with OST. I know Jerry Bruckheimer has to feel somewhat embarrassed when he thinks of DMTNT compared to the other films. Once again, so much wasted potential.

Last edited:

RandySavage

^I'm a big Verbinsky fan. I think he's the most underated director of the recent era. I love Lone Ranger (a PotC movie in Western format). He's shot scenes that out-Spielberg, Spielberg (e.g., wheel duel in DMC; train chase in Ranger). I'm sure Verbinksy's had his fill of Pirates, but I would like to see him get back into tentpole filmmaking for Disney... maybe a Star Wars movie. Bruckheimer's no spring chicken, but I would have hoped he would have made course-corrections on Nathanson's script. Nathanson is a Studio writer who probably saw the originals a couple times but didn't really think deeply about the franchise Lore (established in the movies and tie-ins) and just hit basic bullet points (i.e., Bring back Will; Ghosts chase Jack) without thought for internal logic or how story choices would effect previous movies. I really don't like when prequels or flashbacks (in franchises like Star Wars, Alien, etc.) explain away cool mysteries that don't require explaining. The explanations dissappoint 80% of the time.

For me, PotC 4 & 5 are about equal (B/B+). 4 didn't damage the Lore, as 5 did. 5 had better cast/characters, humor and action set pieces.

Magenta Panther

How nice to see a thread focusing on an actual DISNEY creation, instead of purchased IPs and tacky superheroes! 👿

I'd like to see the Sparrow character continue, maybe not as a main character, but definitely part of any new movie...however, Disney should hire another actor to play him. Johnny Depp, thanks to his personal dramas and idiotic political statements (joking about assassinating a President is moronic as hell, despite what the tiny-brained Twitter mobs think) has shot his wad as far as the Pirates franchise is concerned. He doesn't own the Sparrow character, and, unlike Han Solo, I don't think it's dependent on one actor's interpretation to be successful. As I've noted before, I've seen Sparrow impersonators at WDW that were just as good, if not better, than Depp in portraying Sparrow. Indeed, a new actor might be a great attraction for audiences (yes, there will be some backlash from Depp supporters, but if the right actor was hired, I think you'd see that outcry dissipate).

I would also like to see a Pirates film with a good simple straightforward story (some of the films became, in the immortal words of the great Howard Ashman, too "plotty") that focuses on adventure and swashbuckling and only a TOUCH of mysticism. I still love the whole Disney Pirates motif, and I definitely think the franchise should continue. I would even welcome a film starring the "new" lady pirate Red...if she were portrayed believably, by a non-controversial actress, and with credible abilities that didn't seemed aimed to invoke "I am woman hear me roar". For romance, a rival male pirate, perhaps (I'm not going to get into any debate about representation, okay? Can it). That's what I would like to see. The franchise can still be salvaged, IMO. Lots of treasure there still to be found, matey...now show me that horizon!

erasure fan1

As I've noted before, I've seen Sparrow impersonators at WDW that were just as good, if not better, than Depp in portraying Sparrow. Indeed, a new actor might be a great attraction for audiences (yes, there will be some backlash from Depp supporters, but if the right actor was hired, I think you'd see that outcry dissipate).
I'll tell you, the guy that played the young jack in the last movie was fantastic. I thought while I watched it that it was Depp being de-aged. I said I would not want a kid jack Sparrow movie, but that age I think I would be OK with.

Magenta Panther

I'll tell you, the guy that played the young jack in the last movie was fantastic. I thought while I watched it that it was Depp being de-aged. I said I would not want a kid jack Sparrow movie, but that age I think I would be OK with.

You know...that gave me an idea. Maybe Red could be the pirate that young Jack apprenticed with. Maybe she could be the one who taught him piracy and inspired him to become a pirate captain himself. I'd watch that!

QuasiNoFroyo

If they do reboot the franchise with Redd as the lead character, here is a list of actresses I'd like to see in that role:
  • Amy Adams
  • Deborah Ann Woll
  • Emma Stone
  • Isla Fisher
  • Jessica Chastain
  • Karen Gillan
  • Madelaine Petsch
  • Molly C. Quinn
  • Rose Leslie

NateD1226

DisInsider news!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are only a handful of franchises that have created really great world-building over 3 or more films and PotC is one of them. So for that reason alone, I'd like to see it keep steadily releasing content (as MCU or Star Wars franchises do).

That said, I'm of opposite opinion to yours... I think they need to let go of all of those main characters, especially Sparrow & the Turners, and create fresh new characters and storylines (with maybe a cameo or two by sidekicks from the films). PotC 5 had a very poor choice of writer in Nathanson who whacked out a poorly-conceived script that contradicted several established story elements. It had great production design and very good casting, but so much that happened made no logical sense. I get that it's a fantasy movie, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted. That movie could have been a lot better had they not tried to desperately link it back to the originals with the Turners, the Compass, etc, - and removing Will's curse has now made At World's End conclusion much less impactful.

I think a big budget TV series on Disney+ (like a lighter, more comedic/fantasy version of Black Sails) would be a good break from the big screen and allow them to test out new characters (Depp could appear in one episode, as Ford did in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles). If they have a breakout character, then make a big budget film with Depp back as mentor character - or better yet, the antagonist!

There was one blip on the radar. With the Deadpool writers walking, Disney got in touch with one of the original writers.
This^^^

To continue your MCU analogy; it would be nice to see Captain Jack become the Tony Stark of the PotC universe where he has an occasional cameo/small part and that is it.

Captain Barbossa

Ever since thedisinsider lied about the D23 announcement, I'm taking this with a pound of salt. I do find it interesting that Ted is allegedly involved.

Magenta Panther

1. I do NOT want the Turners to come back. Their story is done.

2. I've suggested before that lady pirate Redd should perhaps be front-and-center in any reboot. There really were lady pirates, so her becoming the focus of a new POTC would be historically accurate and not be repugnant PC pandering.

3. And her apprentice/protégé should be...a young Jack Sparrow. No romantic entanglements - he could be a cabin boy who learns the hard craft of pirating from Redd. And of course that would require hiring a new actor to portray Jack Sparrow. I'm sorry, but Depp is a liability at this point. He's the focus of too much drama right now, and his stupid joke about assassinating a President pretty much did it for me. But of course, that's just my opinion. We all know that Iger's sense of outrage is highly selective when it comes to his actors' behavior. Roseanne is a pariah, while pedophile James Gunn, dime-store-Streisand Bette Midler (who recently cheered the person who attacked and injured Senator Rand Paul) and Walt-slandering Meryl Streep (I'm SO happy the Poppins sequel flopped!) are A-OK in his book. So Depp could very well return. We'll see.

erasure fan1

There really were lady pirates, so her becoming the focus of a new POTC would be historically accurate and not be repugnant PC pandering.
But I guarantee that is how it will come off. I use the women in my life as a gauge when it comes to this kind of stuff. My wife, daughter, sisters and mom... I will bet a large sum of money that if the next pirates is a female leading roll, none of them will like the idea. I can bet it would invoke the same response as rogue one did with them. An eye roll and really, another female type comment? As far as I'm concerned, Jack was Pirates. Without him it's just generic pirate movie. I've said before, I wasn't keen on young Sparrow, but after seeing the guy who plays him in the last movie, I think it could work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom