The forgotten educational series "Language Arts Through Imagination" starring Figment (Now in better quality)

Figments Friend

The script is located on the link inside the Lost Media Wiki...https://lostmediawiki.com/Dreamfinders_(unproduced_Disney_Channel_TV_series;_1983)

I'm still trying to rattle where this video was actually from if it was for the said show.

The Puppeteer is no doubt the late Jerry Nelson who sounded like Robin in this clip.

The video footage in question of the man showing the two Figment figures was shot by WED / WDI during the early development of the puppets to be used with the Dreamfinder walkaround character.
At the time, two versions were being tested for both operational ease and guest satisfaction, as well as overly appealing appearance.
This video segment was shown to the team working on the task of providing a 'portable' performing Figment at WED to try to convince them that the more 'friendly' rounded version was the better choice.

I was told back when this clip was unearthed from the Disney Archive that the man in question is a young Garner Holt.
How humourously ironic he was so against the 'clunky' Animatronic version...considering the path his future led him to!
;)
Also i vaguely recall a mention that it is one of the JII Attraction designers operating Figment here.

The two Figment figures shown in the above clip are just two of several different test models that were being developed for use as the walkaround puppet - A flexible silicon hand puppet version , and the large full bodied radio controlled figure that was also being considered.

After testing both versions with children in a performance setting, it was decided the flexible silicon hand puppet was better suited for the job.
The heavy, cumbersome radio controlled figure was then shelved.

:)

-

Last edited:

brb1006

Original Poster
The video footage in question of the man showing the two Figment figures was shot by WED / WDI during the early development of the puppets to be used with the Dreamfinder walkaround character.
At the time, two versions were being tested for both operational ease and guest satisfaction, as well as overly appealing appearance.
This video segment was shown to the team working on the task of providing a 'portable' performing Figment at WED to try to convince them that the more 'friendly' rounded version was the better choice.

I was told back when this clip was unearthed from the Disney Archive that the man in question is a young Garner Holt.
How humourously ironic he was so against the 'clunky' Animatronic version...considering the path his future led him to!
;)
Also i vaguely recall a mention that it is one of the JII Attraction designers operating Figment here.

The two Figment figures shown in the above clip are just two of several different test models that were being developed for use as the walkaround puppet - A flexible silicon hand puppet version , and the large full bodied radio controlled figure that was also being considered.

After testing both versions with children in a performance setting, it was decided the flexible silicon hand puppet was better suited for the job.
The heavy, cumbersome radio controlled figure was then shelved.

:)

-
The mystery has finally be solved! :D

MrWarners14

Here's a piece of Epcot and Disney history that is very obscure in the Disney community.

During Epcot's heyday, in the late 1980's. Disney Educational Production and Epcot Educational Media decided to make an educational series called "Language Arts Through Imagination" starring Figment from Journey Into Imagination with Billy Barty reprising his role. The video series was made in September of 1988 till September of 1989. The animation was done in Chicago animation studio Cioni Artworks with Ray Cioni and Jon McClenahan being credited as the directors. As a result of it's obscurity, the series remained difficult to find for years until a small clip of one of the episodes was uploaded to youtube a few years ago. However the videos were very short and not in good quality.

However, an unlisted playlist was created in May 2017 and was discovered by @TJJohn12 which had all the episodes in good quality and clearer audio.

Here's the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuL0d0AOafoeP_3inPxbnjxRweElG7k-9

A full episode titled "How Does Sound Sound?"

Here's an article from 2016 written by Jim Korkis titled "The Forgotten Films Of Figment"
https://www.mouseplanet.com/11360/The_Forgotten_Films_of_Figment

This was also one of the few times Figment was spotted outside of the original attraction until 2014 with the Figment comics by Marvel as part of the Disney Kingdoms series and his cameo in Disney/Pixar's Inside Out.
latest

@marni1971 @Figments Friend and will love this.

I had a good watch of them and they are so charming and fun. I love how they incorporate both live action kids and Disney clips into the episodes. Feels immersive and relatable.

I wish Disney did a reboot/successor to this in the form of a Disney Jr show with the Dreamfinder and Figment. That would be a blast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom