The Force Awakens

Matt_Black

For me, the issue with the prequels was not that it wasn't like the original trilogy, but that for the most part it just didn't feel like Star Wars. JJ did an awesome job with making this movie feel like the originals. From the look of the worlds and the characters to the visual effects and the designs all felt like authentic Star Wars to me. I think people just wish they had gone out on the ledge a bit more with the story.

Well, they pointed out on Cracked.com that the original trilogy's tone was all over the place. Star Wars was straight up homage to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and other pulp magazine and serial film fare. Empire was dark and broody. Return was essentially one big toy commercial. So yeah, it's hard to make the prequels feel like the original trilogy, especially when Lucas cut out so many of the people actually responsible for those films being great in the first place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be honest, I've noticed a certain trend in some reviews. Many people are saying that it's WAY to similar to A New Hope. Well, with the prequels, people complained about it not being like the original trilogy, so what do you want them to do? Make up your mind people! :p:D

Because the complaints are not about similar kinds of movies... But flat out COPYING and reusing. The borrowing is pretty aweful. If any other movie copied that much from epi 4 and 5 it would be called plagiarism and the web would be full of memes and snarky YouTube comparisons

Just wait, once the hype is down and the content is available...we'll see all those snarky you tubes yet

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it's hard to judge Episode VII, without seeing how it ties into 8 and 9...or even the spin off films. Like basing an opinion on the MCU on the first Iron Man alone. I liked it in the same way I would reading the first one or two chapters of a book I enjoy.

But iron man 1 was so great... It spawned a series... Not "here is chapter 1 of what we've already committed to do". IM gets the praise because IM as a standalone worked so well

At least they didn't leave us at too bad a point in time... Halfway through the film I was fearing that

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So... $517M for an opening weekend. Amazing amount of cash, I know they got a decent chunk from my coworkers, friends and me.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/box-of...=rss&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
I think I am only responsible for like half of that.;)

I guess I'm the only one who will wait for the Blu-ray to watch it again, but I am generally too cheap to pay movie theatre ticket & food prices more than once for the same title.
Spend the $5 on a matinee. This is one of those movies that need to be seen on a screen measured in feet, not inches.

rucifee

I think I am only responsible for like half of that.;)

Spend the $5 on a matinee. This is one of those movies that need to be seen on a screen measured in feet, not inches.

How small is your TV? Every TV larger than 11" diagonal can be measured in feet. :eek: If you've seen it in the theater once, you don't need to see it in that scale again. Cut and Paste Wars wasn't even a good movie.

G00fyDad

How small is your TV? Every TV larger than 11" diagonal can be measured in feet. :eek: If you've seen it in the theater once, you don't need to see it in that scale again. Cut and Paste Wars wasn't even a good movie.

So you have a 6' television?

They are measured in inches regardless of how many "feet" it actually is, but you know that.

P_Radden

Cut and Paste Wars wasn't even a good movie.

A lot of people thought it was a good movie, my self included. We enjoyed seeing it twice. Sure there are some things that could have been done differently or better, but overall we liked it. Was it perfect? No. Could the plot have been more original? Sure. Was it the best Star Wars movie to date? Probably not but still arguably better than at least half of them.

I think sometimes we hype our selves up so much, setting expectation that is almost impossible to meet. I'm sorry you do not like TFA, but remember, even the original trilogy had it's flaws, i.e. poor acting at times, crappy dialogue, multiple death stars (plot copy & paste as you say), ewoks, etc..

My point is, TFA did exactly what it was supposed to do, revamp the Star Wars saga, introduce new characters and honor the fans. Disney/ Abrams did way better than Lucas did on his last 3 attempts. And it was a good movie. Perhaps you should see it again, maybe you could look for reasons to appreciate the film for what it is rather than look for reasons to not like it.

G00fyDad

A lot of people thought it was a good movie, my self included. We enjoyed seeing it twice. Sure there are some things that could have been done differently or better, but overall we liked it. Was it perfect? No. Could the plot have been more original? Sure. Was it the best Star Wars movie to date? Probably not but still arguably better than at least half of them.

I think sometimes we hype our selves up so much, setting expectation that is almost impossible to meet. I'm sorry you do not like TFA, but remember, even the original trilogy had it's flaws, i.e. poor acting at times, crappy dialogue, multiple death stars (plot copy & paste as you say), ewoks, etc..

My point is, TFA did exactly what it was supposed to do, revamp the Star Wars saga, introduce new characters and honor the fans. Disney/ Abrams did way better than Lucas did on his last 3 attempts. And it was a good movie. Perhaps you should see it again, maybe you could look for reasons to appreciate the film for what it is rather than look for reasons to not like it.

That poster in inherently negative.

rucifee

So you have a 6' television?

They are measured in inches regardless of how many "feet" it actually is, but you know that.

"can be" bubba, "can be". Just because they aren't sold that way, it doesn't mean it can't physically be measured that way. Take the stick out, it wasn't even serious.

Last edited:

rucifee

I think I would have liked it more if the marketing machine didn't oversell it and set expectations too high. Then again, I haven't ever liked any of JJ's work. He seems to specialize in copycat works.

FoozieBear

I'm in the camp of people who feel this was a great movie but so utterly disappointed it doesn't work more on its own merit and is just the warmup to a bigger story. I guess I can't properly judge this movie until 8 is out.

doctornick

I think I would have liked it more if the marketing machine didn't oversell it and set expectations too high. Then again, I haven't ever liked any of JJ's work. He seems to specialize in copycat works.

I would actually argue that the marketing was near perfect. It set up the proper tone as to what to expect from the movie and highlighted new characters but was subtle enough to not give away much of the specifics of the plot.

I would certainly agree with others that the film is not perfect and has flaws, but it delivered exactly what was expected and advertised IMHO. Certainly a fun way to spend a few hours in the theater.

rucifee

I would actually argue that the marketing was near perfect. It set up the proper tone as to what to expect from the movie and highlighted new characters but was subtle enough to not give away much of the specifics of the plot.

I would certainly agree with others that the film is not perfect and has flaws, but it delivered exactly what was expected and advertised IMHO. Certainly a fun way to spend a few hours in the theater.

There was a ton of potential, but the plot holes, poor acting, and randomness of the movie just didn't do it for me. Maybe I've just turned away from the force...it's possible I guess.

prberk

All three theaters were used. As far as I can tell based on the people invited and where they ended up it seems like 'guests of Lucasfilm' were at the Chinese, 'guests of Disney' were at the Capitan, and everyone else including press invites and 'overflow' were at the Dolby. Every theater was fairly full but the official capacity of those theaters is a bit exaggerated so it was likely more around 4250-4500 people between them.

It’s common enough for bigger premiers at the Chinese, Capitan, or Dolby to use each other as “overflow” it’s just not widely publicized. Like, Avengers: Age of Ultron “premiered” at the Dolby but they used the Capitan as well.

Most movie premiers are not shown in 3D unless it's a main feature like Avatar.

Thank you for that. I really wondered those things.

I can bet that most of Hollywood actually sees 3-D as a gimmick that they never bother with themselves, although they would more than gladly pocket the money.

rucifee

Who's acting was bad?

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Oscar Isaac, Gwendoline Christie, and Adam Driver were terrible in my opinion. Adam Driver was just barely better than Jar Jar (voiced by Ahmed Best). Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega were excellent. The rest of the cast was mediocre. Mark Hamill gets an honorable mention for just standing there with a derp face. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom