The Finale - Stanza XIV: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Hey, maybe someone here can help me out. I'm looking for a quote by a famous Imagineer about how the atmosphere and environment was the most important part of a classic Disney attraction. And that was why a Robin Hood dark ride was never built because it would have a boring atmosphere.

I'm obviously paraphrasing, but that was the gist.

I believe it was Marty Sklar but I have such a terrible memory for things like this lol

@TheOriginalTiki I know me an you have talked about this quote before

If anyone can help I'd be incredibly grateful. I just can't seem to find it

Suchomimus

Hey, maybe someone here can help me out. I'm looking for a quote by a famous Imagineer about how the atmosphere and environment was the most important part of a classic Disney attraction. And that was why a Robin Hood dark ride was never built because it would have a boring atmosphere.

I'm obviously paraphrasing, but that was the gist.

I believe it was Marty Sklar but I have such a terrible memory for things like this lol
It was Tony Baxter

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Thank you! I'm still having trouble finding it, but I'll look more thoroughly after work. If I still can't find it, oh well lol. It was just a neat quote to open a section lol
I don't know if this is the quote, but this was from a 2004 interview

https://www.mouseplanet.com/10239/Great_Moments_with_Mr_Baxter
They could not conceive of my era, and I wasn't really passionate about their era. And the worry I had is that Disneyland would stay in its little bubble, appealing very much to 50-somethings and 40-somethings and 60-somethings, but irrelevant to kids who are growing up today, especially when the '70s came and the only great movies were being done by Lucas and Spielberg. That was really scary, because what do we do? The Black Hole Ride? The Robin Hood dark ride? Or the Fox and the Hound Theater? We tried those, and you get to the point where you say there's nothing here. There's no reason to do this.

So that was tough, trying to get them to realize they had to marry the myths in order to get those two generations to feel that Disneyland was cool. I think it worked. Most people don't understand who did what. They only understand whether they like something. I think we're more sensitive to it's not a Disney brand than the kids are. What is a Disney brand? Is it Jerry Bruckheimer? Is it John Lasseter? Is it our own animators?

AceAstro

340x_screen_shot_2010-09-29_at_5.03.03_pm.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom