The fastpass attendants don't play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl3283

Original Poster
I tried to go in 20 min early since I'm by myself & she said I had to wait til my time on my ticket. A whole family tried to go on in order to ride it & make their dinner reservations. She said no. Some girl got in a argument & her family pulled her away when she said no. This woman is ruthless! Lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I tried to go in 20 min early since I'm by myself & she said I had to wait til my time on my ticket. A whole family tried to go on in order to ride it & make their dinner reservations. She said no. Some girl got in a argument & her family pulled her away when she said no. This is ruthless! Lol
In all my years of going to the parks I have never seen a CM let a guest in even one minute early to a fast pass queue.

Clever Name

Prior to the advent of the WDW GPS, the clocks throughout all of WDW were inaccurate. The fastpass machines and attraction clocks are now synchronized with the atomic clock in Fort Collins, CO at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. :wave:

DrummerAlly

I tried to go in 20 min early since I'm by myself & she said I had to wait til my time on my ticket. A whole family tried to go on in order to ride it & make their dinner reservations. She said no. Some girl got in a argument & her family pulled her away when she said no. This is ruthless! Lol

YAY! Thank you Disney for following your own rules on this one.

Now they just need to enforce the rest of their rules!

Monorail Lime

Prior to the advent of the WDW GPS, the clocks throughout all of WDW were inaccurate. The fastpass machines and attraction clocks are now synchronized with the atomic clock in Fort Collins, CO at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. :wave:
Very cool! Isn't technology grand?

Timekeeper

On the flipside, though, you can return at any time after your window opens. If they enforced the end of the one hour window, there would be rioting in the streets.

elisatonks

Fastpasses clearly state on the back that early arrivals will not be accepted. The whole idea of fasspass is to save your place in line, so technically it would be jumping the line if you tryed to use it early. What makes me laugh a lot when I am at fastpass checkpoint is the number of people who think they can go to machine, get there ticket then immediately join the fastpass line.

hpyhnt 1000

Really?! The Mouse doesn't mess around! :lol:

PirateFrank

...The whole idea of fasspass is to save your place in line...

:brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick:

No, No, No......it's rider/guest redistribution and wait normalization.

Consider this:

You arrive at the TSMM fast pass kiosk after a fairly hellacious running of the bulls immediately following rope drop. You secure fast passes for you and yours with a return time of 1:20-2:15.

You turn and look at the line and see a 45 minute wait (which, incidentally, was 5 minutes when you first swiped your tickets in the kiosk :eek: )....

How is waiting 260 minutes = 45 minutes? The idea that FP is a place holder is only valid at the very infrequent situations when the current standby time is equal to the fast pass return time. (I won't address the time you wait after the merge, even with a fast pass, for simplicity sake).

As a general rule, the standby time is significantly lower than the time you must wait for the fast pass return time....So you take your fast passes and go elsewhere in the park (rider/guest redistribution achieved). You also find yourself, as park guests with FPs, returning at pre-determined times in pre-determined numbers....(wait normalization, to the extent possible, achieved).

People need to eject this mindset of convenience. It's not a convenience. It's not some imaginary ghost of Walt Disney himself holding a place for you in line wanting to 'plus' your experience for you. It's Meg Crofton and her legion of MBA-toting pencil pushers trying to find ways to make you spend more money, instead of waiting on a line. A truly brilliant move is one designed to make you feel like you're getting a benefit, even though you're being manipulated. FP is a textbook example....

DrummerAlly

A truly brilliant move is one designed to make you feel like you're getting a benefit, even though you're being manipulated. FP is a textbook example....

Whoa there pal, manipulated? That's a pretty strong accusation.

On days when the parks are packed and theres a 80 minute wait for splash mountain (yes, the line would only be 45 minutes if FP didn't exist, I understand), I'd much rather get my pass, go have lunch, watch the country bear jamboree, ride PoC, and wait 5 minutes, 3 hours later. No problem.

Fast Pass was created as a convenience to the average park goer, and I guarantee the average park goer enjoys FP.

Edit: I agree with you that the system is not "holding your place in line", AND that the goal is redistribution of park patrons. I'm simply thrilled to let them redistribute me to somewhere not in a long line.

britdaw

They shouldn't let anyone on early... The whole point of getting a FastPass is to return back at a certain time. If you're there before that certain time, good for you, but you shouldn't expect to be able to go ahead and ride before that time.

Timekeeper

A truly brilliant move is one designed to make you feel like you're getting a benefit, even though you're being manipulated. FP is a textbook example....

Whoa there pal, manipulated? That's a pretty strong accusation.

On days when the parks are packed and theres a 80 minute wait for splash mountain (yes, the line would only be 45 minutes if FP didn't exist, I understand), I'd much rather get my pass, go have lunch, watch the country bear jamboree, ride PoC, and wait 5 minutes, 3 hours later. No problem.

Fast Pass was created as a convenience to the average park goer, and I guarantee the average park goer enjoys FP.

Assuming that DrummerAlly purchased the lunch that they referred to after getting their FP, that's PirateFrank's case in point. Money was given to Disney by a guest making a purchase instead of waiting in a queue.

Whether FP was created as a convenience for the guest and any benefits to Disney are incidental, or it was created as a benefit to Disney and any conveniences for the guest are incidental, is of no consequence. The fact of the matter is, the "brilliance" of the system is that it (at least appears to) serves both.

And anyone who thinks that these large scale decisions are made by saints who only have the guest's convenience in mind are simply wrong. It's not convenient to have to dodge merchandise and other guest congestion while exiting an attraction through a gift shop... :cry:

joanna71985

I used to work at TSM. It always was that a guest could return late with a FP, but it could not be used early (and that's the same way for other FP attractions).

DrummerAlly

Assuming that DrummerAlly purchased the lunch that they referred to after getting their FP, that's PirateFrank's case in point. Money was given to Disney by a guest making a purchase instead of waiting in a queue.

Whether FP was created as a convenience for the guest and any benefits to Disney are incidental, or it was created as a benefit to Disney and any conveniences for the guest are incidental, is of no consequence. The fact of the matter is, the "brilliance" of the system is that it (at least appears to) serves both.

And anyone who thinks that these large scale decisions are made by saints who only have the guest's convenience in mind are simply wrong. It's not convenient to have to dodge merchandise and other guest congestion while exiting an attraction through a gift shop... :cry:

Well, I would have purchased lunch either way (Peco Bills is too good to pass up). I just get to spend more time roaming the parks, eating a leisurely lunch, and enjoying other attractions as a benefit. I don't disagree with you - Disney is certainly making some (but I seriously doubt a ton) of extra money by having people spend more time in gift shops. I'm still all for it in the end - it makes my vacations much more enjoyable.

backinaction

Amen Drum. I remember before fastpass, if you visited during the summer time, there was no way around the absurd queue times.
You don't have to go around and buy things while you wait for your time window on the fastpass. You can do many more attractions and see more of the park if you know how to use the fastpass system effectively. That's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom