The Fantasyland That Never Was

td1129

Wonderland would make a great area! However, I strongly believe it would work better with Burton's interpretation, not Walt.

Although the original created the lovable characters, Burton really made the environment what it should of been. Walt's vision was just a Forrest (however, this worked for the film!).

I'm thinking a walk through based area with a new Dark Ride, Tea Cups and a Tea Party Cafe!

No offense, but this idea makes me want to vomit. I hate everything about the Tim burton version.

copcarguyp71

Overall I am always amazed at how one persons differing opinion from another cannot just stay as just that. It always seems like it escalates into a CAPS LOCK shouting match or some such sophomoric derivative. I always wonder why on an enthusiast site we cannot simply state our views or offer counter points without it turning into a fist pounding contest. We all love Disney...if you do not then leave these boards but otherwise why not keep things civil. This is not directed at Martin it just happened to be posted after his but rather an overall consensus of what I see day to day. Just my two pennies to rub together.

tl77

The more I look at these Wonderland paintings I'm starting to think they might have been intended to go where Storybook Circus is now instead of on top the Speedway, they're date '08 and '09 which was pretty early on in the process and before the Mine Train

But the painting with Alice in it looks like it's from the point of view the train station, as if you were standing with the train station behind you, the re-themed Barnstormer coaster on your left, and the rock work restaurant on you right might have been where Big Top Souvenirs, shared a wall with the Little Mermaid building

And the "Portal" in the other painting may be where the Circus banner archway is now, between the Forest and Circus or at the time would have been the Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty M&G's Buildings and this Wonderland area, maybe the portal would have read Fantasyland on one side and Wonderland on the other

...at any rate it's really interesting to see how many concepts they cycled through along the way

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The more I look at these Wonderland paintings I'm starting to think they might have been intended to go where Storybook Circus is now instead of on top the Speedway, they're date '08 and '09 which was pretty early on in the process and before the Mine Train

But the painting with Alice in it looks like it's from the point of view the train station, as if you were standing with the train station behind you, the re-themed Barnstormer coaster on your left, and the rock work restaurant on you right might have been where Big Top Souvenirs, shared a wall with the Little Mermaid building

And the "Portal" in the other painting may be where the Circus banner archway is now, between the Forest and Circus or at the time would have been the Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty M&G's Buildings and this Wonderland area, maybe the portal would have read Fantasyland on one side and Wonderland on the other

...at any rate it's really interesting to see how many concepts they cycled through along the way

One of the original plans had Dumbo in the back of what is now Storybook Circus and Pixie Hollow where Dumbo is now. Maybe the original plan was to have Alice there instead of Pixie Hollow.

image_wdwfantasyland_plan1.jpg

GeorgiaPinesRJB

An Alice area would have been neat.... definitely would have spruced up that corner. Something needs to be done with that area, it is the worst transition in the whole park, neither really fantasy or futuristic.

Captain Neo

Oh MAN. There really was a plan to add a Disneyland Paris style glass room to the teacups and the new themeing would have looked really nice. I'm glad this concept art is out there because it shows how much disney cut costs. This angers me.

EDIT: It was a whole Wonderland area? FML. Disney doesn't know what to greenlight and what not to green light confirmed.

Captain Neo

Why is everyone saying it would replace Indy speedway? It looks like an alternative plan for what became Storybook Circus. The barnstormer would have been reincorporated into a Wonderland themed ride.

Naturally Disney went the cheapest route to just keep mickey's toon town faire and slap a new name on it and add a second dumbo spinner.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Why is everyone saying it would replace Indy speedway? It looks like an alternative plan for what became Storybook Circus. The barnstormer would have been reincorporated into a Wonderland themed ride.

Naturally Disney went the cheapest route to just keep mickey's toon town faire and slap a new name on it and add a second dumbo spinner.

But wouldn't they have to move the teacups then? That would be a huge chunk of land, a little bigger than the current Storybook Circus area...wouldn't it?

Captain Neo

But wouldn't they have to move the teacups then? That would be a huge chunk of land, a little bigger than the current Storybook Circus area...wouldn't it?

No. I think the art is just backwards the teacups should be on the other side. The second pic shows a wonderland themed barnstormer in the background which tells me it was a proposal for that area. Or maybe it was going to incorporate both the indy speedway area and some of storybook circus? That would have been awesome in my book. We may have finally gotten the Alice in Wonderland ride from California or perhaps even a new 21st century version.

Zac Skellington

Do you have kids?

I have kids. When they were 5-7 years old they enjoyed the speedway, and I have some great photos of them that I am grateful for. But the truth is, we haven't been on the ride the last 3 trips to WDW. The window of enjoyment seems pretty short. The ride really is loud, hot, and stinky. I'm pretty sure the track has now been shortened 2 times already? Once for Minnie's house, and again for Dumbo. The ride needs to go... I had much more fun taking my son with me to the golf course, and letting him steer the cart. Electric, smooth, and quiet. Ahhhh......

Oh, while I was at WDW in November, the Speedway went down because one of the cars was on fire.

Wojciehowicz

Thanks!
It's supposed to get a six week refurb starting in January but I don't think there is any confirmation about exactly what work is planned.

Did you read that somewhere? The roof was refurbished just two years ago.
At this point in time, the Jan calendar still shows normal operating hours for The Mad Cups.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The_Mesh_Hatter

I went to the exhibit today, and just to clarify, the description of the Alice concept art (the one that showed the rethemed barnstormer) said that in this design the tea cups were to be enclosed in a black light setting. Also, I don't think the two pieces are for the same plan, as one shows the tea cups with a DLP cover, while the other one shows the underground indoor black-lit version. Here's a link to a trip report with more pictures of the exhibit if anyone is interested. http://www.theturnstiletribune.com/Forums/index.php/topic,259.0.html

jrriddle

I went to the exhibit today, and just to clarify, the description of the Alice concept art (the one that showed the rethemed barnstormer) said that in this design the tea cups were to be enclosed in a black light setting. Also, I don't think the two pieces are for the same plan, as one shows the tea cups with a DLP cover, while the other one shows the underground indoor black-lit version. Here's a link to a trip report with more pictures of the exhibit if anyone is interested. http://www.theturnstiletribune.com/Forums/index.php/topic,259.0.html

I checked out the whole album. Wow great stuff! Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom