Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

Brad Bishop

These responses are the ones that baffle me. (And apologies in advance - I know you were just going for humor, so talking about this generally vs. targeting you.)

There is no doubt Disney failed in epic fashion in maintaining and updating Epcot. But, while the "Future" was always part of Future World. It was always about inspiration. What we are doing today to lay the groundwork for a better tomorrow. Maybe that didn't resonate with others, but that's what Future World was about to me. Frankly, Epcot Center's Future World spent a ton of time on the past vs. showcasing the future in its offerings. But, it was all with an eye toward progress and discovery. And, walking up to SSE is one of the most inspirational things in any Disney Park worldwide still to this day. Again, assuming the excitement to be inspired is a drive for visiting Epcot.

Just to be clear: I'm with you. You're spot on with Epcot showing the past and hope for tomorrow.

I think that they lost it, though, with replacing really good versions of that idea with: Mission: Space, The Empty Pavilion (well, except for year round special festivals, I guess), Test Track, and GotG - oh, and <sigh> Nemo. Imagination is also a mess. You were supposed to have a bunch of cool technology in Communicore/Innoventions but it always seemed like a mix of random, rather lame, demos. To me Whirlpool, LG, Apple, Samsung, Honda, Toyota, etc. should have been showcasing their ideas for the future in those buildings. We should have seen futuristic cars which were fantastic on fuel (or no fuel!) with their streamed-bodies and such. Instead we got, "This is how a tornado works," "This is fire prevention" - it was like a bunch of random traveling shows for elementary schools.

Just going to lump on top: The architecture: I get that they want to get many, many years out of it, but they could at least redo the facades every 20 years or so. The unique buildings (UoE, Horizons, World of Motion, Imagination, & The Land) actually worked and, I'd argue, maybe (just maybe) are just coming off the "Ok, that was cool" list (but now it's dated). Still, it's neat stuff. The entrance to Epcot + that whole section under SSE with Communicore/Innoventions on both sides? SCREAMS 1980s. They should have done something more with that over the years.

Still, had the original attractions survived (keeping in mind they should have updated the rest), I wouldn't complain (well, except maybe for Body Wars - I don't think that would have aged well). I just think that they could have done more across 40 years (and none of this even touches upon World Showcase).

Epcot82Guy

Just to be clear: I'm with you. You're spot on with Epcot showing the past and hope for tomorrow.

I think that they lost it, though, with replacing really good versions of that idea with: Mission: Space, The Empty Pavilion (well, except for year round special festivals, I guess), Test Track, and GotG - oh, and <sigh> Nemo. Imagination is also a mess. You were supposed to have a bunch of cool technology in Communicore/Innoventions but it always seemed like a mix of random, rather lame, demos. To me Whirlpool, LG, Apple, Samsung, Honda, Toyota, etc. should have been showcasing their ideas for the future in those buildings. We should have seen futuristic cars which were fantastic on fuel (or no fuel!) with their streamed-bodies and such. Instead we got, "This is how a tornado works," "This is fire prevention" - it was like a bunch of random traveling shows for elementary schools.

Just going to lump on top: The architecture: I get that they want to get many, many years out of it, but they could at least redo the facades every 20 years or so. The unique buildings (UoE, Horizons, World of Motion, Imagination, & The Land) actually worked and, I'd argue, maybe (just maybe) are just coming off the "Ok, that was cool" list (but now it's dated). Still, it's neat stuff. The entrance to Epcot + that whole section under SSE with Communicore/Innoventions on both sides? SCREAMS 1980s. They should have done something more with that over the years.

Still, had the original attractions survived (keeping in mind they should have updated the rest), I wouldn't complain (well, except maybe for Body Wars - I don't think that would have aged well). I just think that they could have done more across 40 years (and none of this even touches upon World Showcase).

I agree. I think lots of people get hung up that the "Purists" wanted original Epcot Center back. While that is true in a way, I think most of us actually wanted something different - an updated version of Epcot Center where the attractions were updated or replaced with something even better but that focused on the mission of inspiration from what humanity achieves in the real world. In a way, it's crazy that this is so difficult. If you look at the Epcot Experience Center, I don't think many walk away clamoring about how they saw Remy or Mary Poppins. Instead, it's the effectiveness of the presentation, the emotion, the INSPIRATION. I am actually on board with this Story Telling approach for Epcot. But, it should still be tied to inspiring the individual to do more and learn more.

That's actually a huge focus and movement in the world today, it's sort of sad that Disney is failing to grasp it at WDW.

The Empress Lilly

Unless you look left or right and see a field of cars on a black parking lot and buses and trams. IOW, wear blinders and look in just one direction.

I'm not knocking the effort for architecture of the future, it looks pretty slick. But it's a 90 degree field of view. The other 270 degrees is infrastructure drudgery.

Good ol' Uncle Walt tried to get rid of that infrastructure drudgery at the MK by putting the parking lot across a lake. And it's visually stunning. And a practical nightmare trying to transport tens of thousands of people across or around that lake. Great if you're staying at the Contemporary. Sucks for everyone else.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a transition area that takes you out of the real world and into the thematic place-setting of the park. But the idea it should take place *outside* the park is problematic. How do you hide the parking lot and all that other real world transportation infrastructure at the same time you're transitioning people visually?

The MK succeeded, but at the expense of quick and easy transportation into the park. Epcot thought they could get away with it... but only if you face in a certain direction. DHS and DAK kept the transition after the tapstile, and that seems to be the best solution.

IMO.
Most of a moving person's gaze will be directed forwards. At any rate, you can direct the spectators eye, in a 3d environment just as on a 2d screen.

You raise DAK as an example of a neutral parking lot. But DAK's entrance, too, is orchestrated. The parking lot is deliberately empty, devoid of greenery. A deliberate giant paved mass. To increase the contrast with the wall of green facing you in the Oasis and which immediately envelops you. It is a scripted transition. (And next to the MK entrance theater of SSL & monorail my favourite!)

the.dreamfinder

Unless you look left or right and see a field of cars on a black parking lot and buses and trams. IOW, wear blinders and look in just one direction.

I'm not knocking the effort for architecture of the future, it looks pretty slick. But it's a 90 degree field of view. The other 270 degrees is infrastructure drudgery.

Good ol' Uncle Walt tried to get rid of that infrastructure drudgery at the MK by putting the parking lot across a lake. And it's visually stunning. And a practical nightmare trying to transport tens of thousands of people across or around that lake. Great if you're staying at the Contemporary. Sucks for everyone else.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a transition area that takes you out of the real world and into the thematic place-setting of the park. But the idea it should take place *outside* the park is problematic. How do you hide the parking lot and all that other real world transportation infrastructure at the same time you're transitioning people visually?

The MK succeeded, but at the expense of quick and easy transportation into the park. Epcot thought they could get away with it... but only if you face in a certain direction. DHS and DAK kept the transition after the tapstile, and that seems to be the best solution.

IMO.
Walt has nothing to do with the final design of WDW Phase 1 beside its general placement.

Bocabear

I thought I remembered a photo of Walt with the plan for WDW in the background specifically the Ticket and Transportation center... I think he was still around for that phase of the design

the.dreamfinder

I thought I remembered a photo of Walt with the plan for WDW in the background specifically the Ticket and Transportation center... I think he was still around for that phase of the design
Look at the map in the ‘66 video, it’s still very vague and not what we got.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

So, whose brain child was the Seven Seas Lagoon and keeping the parking lot a half hour's journey from the gate?
My personal hero, the very talented other half of the Disney brothers, Roy.

Personally I have never entered the MK from the bus station. Except for a few walks from the Contemporary - which I avoid except when with my DGF - I will arrive by boat or monorail, even if I have to go from the MK bus station back to the TTC and then back again.

Notes from Neverland

If this is real, are they kidding?

They have so many more projects that need that money. Not another hotel, it would be cool but I much rather another project get funding.
Completely agree. If true, another hotel seems like a very silly project to tackle at this time. Especially after shelving the one they had planned on the old River Country site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom