Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

drnilescrane

The original Golf Resort rooms are large. Bigger than the standard rooms at the Destino Tower and Deluxe Studios at Riviera.

“Attractive towers” is definitely an overstatement.
Sorry, physically unattractive but more desirable towers. People aren't renting cars anymore and don't want to walk a mile to the food court.

drnilescrane

Not sure if your second paragraph is directed at the Shades of Green, but the resort's second wing has the largest rooms I've ever stayed in on Disney property. They are absolutely massive.
No, that's directed at CBR. Shades of Green was sold off because the Golf Resort was in the middle of nowhere and consistently had low occupancy - despite them spending money to turn it into the Disney Inn and despite the large rooms.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Another though for the innoventions location is that you already have a large service basement attached to the utilidors to make things somewhat easier to get to or from the hotel...
Are we thinking boutique hotel? I’m also finding the guest logistics hard to picture having a hotel inside the park with no real exterior access

*My thoughts and I dont represent the brand*
50 Million to 75 Million means something around 150 rooms. Give or take 50.
They need money. Spending 50 million to be able to charge $750 or $1000 a night on something that costs $62.50 daily to operate is pure profit with a 98% occupancy year round. The ROI pays for itself in a year just about. IMHO the Festival Center location would cost more and take longer because of the service tunnels and the footings needed to support the load of the hotel having to work around that.

I'd be for an entrance hotel done correctly, but I am also holding on to hope that these put a new pavilion between Land & Seas in the future. But those don't make money. Unless it is IP driven according to the leader...

wedenterprises

I'd love a resort in the bus lot area, but I wouldn't love a tower.

BC/YBC/BW are all awesome but it's a super long walk to future world, so a hotel on that end would be cool.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, my point exactly. Disney couldn't sell those rooms profitably so sold the resort off to the federal government (who just need to break even to serve their mission).

People no longer want to stay in motel sized rooms with long walks to amenities at the moderate resorts, so they are demolishing rooms and building more attractive towers.
The CBR and COR towers were built where they are to make use of existing infrastructure. A cheaper way of adding more capacity than a stand alone resort.

lazyboy97o

No, that's directed at CBR. Shades of Green was sold off because the Golf Resort was in the middle of nowhere and consistently had low occupancy - despite them spending money to turn it into the Disney Inn and despite the large rooms.
The hotel was nearly doubled in size shortly before it was first leased to the Department of Defense. Something that happened nearly 30 years ago under very different circumstances is not part of the lousy decisions being made today.

drnilescrane

The CBR and COR towers were built where they are to make use of existing infrastructure. A cheaper way of adding more capacity than a stand alone resort.
Differentiated capacity. Both hotels were underperforming based on the room types they had available previously.

CBR removed the rooms furthest from Old Port Royale and added a secondary quick service location to what was Trinidad South. It removed the redundant front desk building that catered towards tourists driving their own cars and consolidated the hotel's amenities. The Skyliner has also allowed an increase in room rates.

COR added a tower building connected to the convention center, with true suite level rooms and a dedicated club level space aimed at meeting planners. It also added a lobby bar that encourages post meeting gatherings with large indoor and outdoor leasable space, a steak focused restaurant, and a more conveniently located fitness center amenity.

Net capacity at both resorts remained about the same or increased incrementally - a 2BR DVC villa is considered about 2.5 normal rooms. ADR and occupancy has gone up dramatically.

There are plenty of other assets not pulling their weight the way Wilderness Lodge wasn't - I'd expect "something" to happen to DAKL if occupancy doesn't recover post COVID.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Executive Summary

We don't know what's happening. There's no need to get angry when we don't know what's happening. There's no need to armchair imagineer this purported project or some other pet (peeve) project since we don't know what's happening. Shouting questions into the void hoping someone who knows will answer doesn't get us anywhere since if our insiders know something and could say, they would have said it.

_caleb

Executive Summary

We don't know what's happening. There's no need to get angry when we don't know what's happening. There's no need to armchair imagineer this purported project or some other pet (peeve) project since we don't know what's happening. Shouting questions into the void hoping someone who knows will answer doesn't get us anywhere since if our insiders know something and could say, they would have said it.
Way to rain on our parade of speculation and rage questioning and doomagineering. Can’t we have any fun around here?

GimpYancIent

Executive Summary

Oh well, it was an interesting topic. Good discussion, then, someone has to throw reality into it.

castlecake2.0

Which is strange to me, because walking around outdoors at Port Orleans Riverside is far more pleasant than walking down the hallways of one of the towers they've built.
I totally agree, though the majority of feedback I heard at work was people didn’t like the walk.

My own opinions and not of TWDC

UNCgolf

I totally agree, though the majority of feedback I heard at work was people didn’t like the walk.

My own opinions and not of TWDC

It's actually one of the two things I don't like about AKL. One is the distance from the other parks and the corresponding transportation issues; the other is the interior hallways that feel like they go on for miles.

aladdin2007

It's actually one of the two things I don't like about AKL. One is the distance from the other parks and the corresponding transportation issues; the other is the interior hallways that feel like they go on for miles.
I always thought it was too bad they never built a waterway with boat service to and from, would have been really nice. Did they ever consider that back during the planning?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom