The end of friendship at WDW

GrimGrinninAnna

Original Poster
Oh- and in my own defense, I am not a doormat, I did call her the next day and insist that she at least call my boyfriend and apologize for not thanking him or his parents (We stayed at their house before leaving since it's closer to I-95) and got no response, but she has been running around telling mutual friends that we were incredibly rude to not have her back at her family dinner table by the time turkey was served on Thanksgiving. So, this whole problem hinged on the fact that she needed to be AT the table when turkey was served. Incredible.

eroyee

:lol: How does one flirt with a complete stranger while at WDW? What would the pick-up lines / come ons be? :lol:

-"So... I noticed you have a churro. I to, happen to enjoy over priced churros." *wink*

-"I couldnt help notice you being run over by that ECV... cause baby.. you've been running through my mind all day." *wink* *flashes teeth*

-"Baby, I wanna take you for a magic carpet ride.... conveniently located in Adventureland."

..ok.. I am done... for now. :lookaroun
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rob562

...but she has been running around telling mutual friends that we were incredibly rude to not have her back at her family dinner table by the time turkey was served on Thanksgiving. So, this whole problem hinged on the fact that she needed to be AT the table when turkey was served. Incredible.

And yet she knew up-front that your vacation dates included Thanksgiving Day and beyond? Wow.

-Rob

I'm home on a Saturday night because of a horrible cold I caught from a friend I took to Disney World last week. I've heard taking friends on vacation is a bad idea, but this was beyond horrific. I came home with this cold, and minus much money and a friend.

I paid for a 5 day park hopper for my best friend- My boyfriend and I got a room with our extra credit card points so I told her she would just have to pay for gas along the way (our first NY to WDW roadtrip!) and her own meals and extra expenses. It was a thanksgiving trip, and a much needed vacation for me since I work in an extremely fast-paced and stressful industry!

Well, let me tell you, not only did she complain the entire time, she tried to control every part of the trip, from what kennel my dogs stayed in to what rides we went on, to where we ate. At one point my boyfriend wanted to go on Small World (he loves classics and thrill rides) and she said "NO. I don't want to go on that." Okay, so lets go on Space Mountain. She had been on it once while we took a break to get a drink so figured she liked it and would go again. "NO. I already went on that." She woke up hours before us to get breakfast and go to the store without asking if we needed anything. She took every opportunity to stop single fathers in the park with their kids and flirt with them (very embarrasing). Finally, she wakes up one morning in the middle of the trip and screams "WE have to go home! I need to be at the dinner table for Turkey!" She actually made such a fuss that the room next to us knocked on the wall and we did end up leaving a day early- not a total loss because the lines were horrible anyway, but still- I paid for five days.

On the way home she didn't pay for gas at all, and didn't thank us for leaving early, paying, or driving her all the way to her front door. Trying to ruin WDW for me, doubled with the way she treated my boyfriend- is a total friendship breaker.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Sounds like a case for judge Judy,at least get your gas money.:animwink:

mousefan1972

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like some of you have made trips work- and that's encouraging.

To be honest with you, she had been going a little crazy for sometime which is why I thought a WDW trip might bring her back to ground. She never won any awards for World's Best Friend, but was always a lot of fun- so take that for what you will.

However, no matter what goes on back home, it was mortifying to stand there with a 20-something yr old baby screaming and yelling. As for the fathers thing, two of them were more than happy to oblige, which is great, but most of them seemed totally flummoxed and very uncomfortable. Also, as a former family magazine editor, one thing I know *never* to do is make comments on other people's parenting, which constituted a lot of her pickup lines...
"Your son is so cute- just like you." "Hi, do you take your kids here a lot? What rides should I go on?" and my personal favorite, "Your daughter is too small to ride Kali River Rapids." I don't know, it was just embarassing.

Judging from the other responses here, I feel like if it was a strong friendship to begin with, it would have held out over long lines, expensive Dole Whips, and ride conflicts.

Yikes!! If you're looking for a new BFF to take to Disney, I'm available!! :D

:lookaroun

:lol:

snowdog63

I agree,My wife and I are taking my sister and a family friend. A week before I we strike out I'm going to have a meeting,If you're tired go back to the room,If you don't like the ride don't ride it,If ya want to do something else..do it. My wife and I are footing the bill on the vacation. I expect wild and crazy fun at 8 trax and everywhere else and no one to slow us down. Sticks in the mud need not apply.

EPCOT.nut

I agree,My wife and I are taking my sister and a family friend. A week before I we strike out I'm going to have a meeting,If you're tired go back to the room,If you don't like the ride don't ride it,If ya want to do something else..do it. My wife and I are footing the bill on the vacation. I expect wild and crazy fun at 8 trax and everywhere else and no one to slow us down. Sticks in the mud need not apply.

...and if ya mess with the bull ya get the horn...

:lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm not a fan of the reconciling or giving her a break - she doesn't sound like a friend worth keeping.

I feel that many people place too high of an emphasis on making "friends" rather then making real friends, people you have a deep bond with, like almost a pseudo family.

I think you may have discovered the different between a real friend and an acquaintance.

MAGICFLOP

While not to cast blame on either of you, I feel that there must be more to it then said. If she truly is this way (sounds like it with mutual friend telling afterwards) then you share the blame for the ruined trip. You should have seen this coming. She could have felt allienated, being there with you and your BF. If you guys are affectionate infront of her, you drive home the point that she is so alone. Then she is flirting trying to find her own BF.

I have a friend, that is a very picky person. One time he came to my house and I had an open bag of chips on the counter (opened hours earlier), he proceeded to open a new bag. I asked whats the deal, he said "I wanted fresh chips". Also I have seen him reject food at restaurants. This is certainly not a friend I would consider for a WDW trip.

Maybe just sit and ask her what happened, if this is truly uncharacteristic of her.

Keyblader Ax

I can't say anything like this has happened to me (i'm too young). But my mom has told me the story of when she backpacked through europe with a "friend". The friend ended up parting ways with my mom when she "fell in love" with a guy in greece. The friend didn't even speak greek! Later on she met back up with my mom, but the entire time she did nothing but complain about whatever they were doing/eating/sleeping in. It was hell for my mom. Just goes to show that you don't really know somebody until you share a room with them.

kucarachi

I've never had anyone i went to Disney with hit on single fathers. But airfare is pretty cheap one way from orlando to new york......and much cheaper than driving even with 3 people. Dont know why you went that route to begin with it only asks for someone to get cranky. And i would have taken her to MGM on turkey day and got her some of those famous turkey legs to shove in her mouth while she was complaning. And also you cant really go down there thanksgiving week and think your going to get on every ride within 10 min. All that aside i would get your friend all kinds of grumpy gear from the local disney store to stuff in her stocking!

julwh

Going on a vacation with a friend is kind of like getting married - no matter how well you know someone, you are in for surprises!

Sorry that it didn't go well for you - hopefully you are able to go back to WDW soon, on your own, and enjoy yourself the way you deserve to.

GrimGrinninAnna

Original Poster
I've never had anyone i went to Disney with hit on single fathers. But airfare is pretty cheap one way from orlando to new york......and much cheaper than driving even with 3 people. Dont know why you went that route to begin with it only asks for someone to get cranky. And i would have taken her to MGM on turkey day and got her some of those famous turkey legs to shove in her mouth while she was complaning. And also you cant really go down there thanksgiving week and think your going to get on every ride within 10 min. All that aside i would get your friend all kinds of grumpy gear from the local disney store to stuff in her stocking!

We fly all the time, and were really looking forward to making a few stops in between- which were a lot of fun, actually! You are right though, I don't think she expected to wait so long for non-thrill rides (she was very unmoved by the long wait time at Peter Pan and unable to accept it was a classic).

We are booked for next September with free dining- just me and the boy- and are eagerly awaiting our WDW revival!

CrashNet

I'm not a fan of the reconciling or giving her a break - she doesn't sound like a friend worth keeping.

I feel that many people place too high of an emphasis on making "friends" rather then making real friends, people you have a deep bond with, like almost a pseudo family.

I think you may have discovered the different between a real friend and an acquaintance.
Great description. I've been burned bad by "friends" in the past. Not highschool/college petty stuff; very bad, life affecting situations. It changed my entire outlook on who I surround myself with. One such individual emailed me two years later to apologize. I never responded. Those experiences taught me I needed to know when to forgive and forget, and when to move on. If you knew me, you'd know I'm one of those people who is very laid back and expeditiously loyal. There is nothing I wouldn't do to help you out if you needed it at a moments notice. I was also one to always try to please everyone, something I've learned to control and use when needed, not all the time.

Friendships, like relationships, are built on communication and compromise. They work hand in hand. If you are not willing to compromise, you are essentially closing the lines of communication. If someone is not willing to give what they receive, they are not willing to put forth the effort to be more to you than an acquaintance. Without compromise there is no communcation, and without communication, there is no way for you to truly know who someone is, and without that, they are nothing more than a stranger.

jessfriends

When I read the title I thought something was happenning to the boats.....

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

Anyways...I am sorry that this happened to you...I went to Cedar Point last summer with my best friend, her boyfriend, and my brother. We stayed overnight. They never have been there before. Everything went well we got to ride and do what we wanted. It was a lot of fun.

Last May my friend and her BF went to WDW it was his first time (he went to DL when he was 5) and her second, but she was too young to remember much. Anyways I thought that they would not enjoy it and come back complaining about stuff, but they didn't. Her BF is in the army so he can stay at Shades of Green. They really liked it and they were thinking of planning a trip in May 2008 with my brother and myself. The only thing is my brother and I have been there about 10 times with our parents and we are used to a longer stay and a different schedule. I hope we are able to enjoy our trip (if we go) and be able to do a lot of things. I know my friend isn't a water park person so we will not go to BB or TL which makes me sad because I LOVE waterparks. I am hoping my family can take a trip in July like we usually do so I don't have to miss them. I also want my friends to go to Universal, but I am afraid they will only want to be away for a few days rather than a week and we would not be able to fit everything in. The BF did say he wanted to go there so hopefully everything will work out. After reading this story I am scared to go, but she is my best friend and we ALWAYS get along...so my fingers are crossed. We will not have to worry about who is paying for what because we will divide the room 4 ways and each will pay for their own ticket, food , other expenses. If we need transporation we will split it 4 ways. So I don't see that as a problem.

mary219

The worst trip we ever took involved other family members outside of my family(me, husband and kids).Never again.People all have different priorities when on vacation,better to do someplace like disney where only you make the decisions.There is just so much to do,see,eat and play that you cant satisfy everybody.If you do take a disney trip with friends and extended family,then it must be established up front,everybody can do whatever they want,it just doesnt have to be together.But,I AM A GREAT TRIP TAKER,so next time just swing by brooklyn and pick me up!:xmas:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i think that i would have taken a restroom break and left them on some exit with a greyhound station. ungrateful people are the worst

DisneyDragon

Regarding WDW, I have travelled there with friends many times and not had a problem...but with over 25 trips to WDW, people usually default to me when we travel...

Friend trip 1 - Best friend - had a blast
Friend trip 2 - Very good friend - had a blast
Friend trip 3 - Two good friends and gf (who became wife) - excellent, although gf and I needed some private time.
BIG Family trip - no big issues
BIG Family trip #2 - no big issues

But I will state that these are ALL people who would appreciate Disney for what it is.

HOWEVER, a few weeks ago, I experienced something not so fun. Travelling to Las Vegas for a wedding, in which I was the best man. My girlfriend (I am since divorced since the last big family trip) went with me. We were having an amazing time...Las Vegas is second only to WDW for me...and then an old friend showed up for the wedding. He and I were good friends in high school and university, with a friendship that lasted after he moved to Vancouver (I am in Toronto).

There are so many details, but basically, this former friend of mine tried very hard to cause strife between my gf and I, capping it off with outright making his moves on her. So yeah, I am down a friend, and my gf wonders how this guy was ever my friend.

raven

I took my best friend for a week in Clearwater Beach one time. Worst thing to ever do. He never paid a penny for the hotel, food, spendings or whatever. Never again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom