The Dug-Out: SYWTBAI Season 14 Official Discussion Thread

MANEATINGWREATH

@TheOriginalTiki and I will be doing a podcast around noon tomorrow in regards to reviewing the Blue Sky Round from yesterday. We will have an official team swap made by then.

EDIT: As Poe Dameron has dropped from the competition, @Basketbuddy101 has joined the cast. That being said, we have made a quick switcheroo between Team Mist and Team Cap. The official line-up is now...

Team Mist

- @Basketbuddy101
- @mickeyfan5534
- @DisneyManOne
- @RMichael21
- @TrevorA
- @JokersWild
- @Snoopy

Team Younger

- @MCParradox
- @NAdoTEg
- @StevenU
- @ThatGuyFromFlorida
- @IAmNotAHufflepuff
- @Magic Feather
- @Pionmycake

Team Cap

- @MonorailRed
- @spacemt354
- @David2319
- @Brer Oswald
- @CraniumCommand89
- @kmbmw777
- @Angels and Disney's

That's right, folks. Spacemt and MonorailRed, the dynamic duo are together again in a mini-reunion for Team Baby Groot of the Creator Games Revival. This proves for an interesting dynamic between Team Cap and Team Mist. While Team Mist - particularly with the recent addition of Basketbuddy - represents a bygone era of SYWTBAI, Team Cap looks to the future of SYWTBAI on WDWMagic with such players as Space, Brer Oswald, Red, kmbmw, etc. Team Younger on the other hand remains a true "Wild Card" team. I am truly excited to see what they create this season.

Really, I cannot wait until Saturday. We're nearing now less than 24 hours!

Stay tuned, folks. Tomorrow afternoon, Tiki and I will be going live in regards to not just yesterday's Festival of Imagination projects, but also the recent team swap and addition of Basketbuddy.

Choo-choo! The hype train has pulled into the station.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Going live in just a few minutes with @MANEATINGWREATH to do video reviews on the Blue Sky projects. This podcast should give a pretty good idea on how the two of us grade and what were both looking for.

I'm fine with the lower scores, as I've been mostly doing these for fun not really going full bore into them haha

But I do think for these projects compared to the actual game, some leniency in scoring is a good idea as was mentioned -- because each of these projects have been back-to-back 48 hours when I'm gonna assume they were originally given to the players in past seasons with longer due dates.

Especially with that I'm very impressed with the projects so far!

spacemt354

Chili's
On a side note, for Star Wars fans...I'm really having trouble placing Rogue One in my rankings for the series

I saw it again recently and the first 2/3rds of the movie I didn't enjoy as much as I did the first time, but the last 1/3rd in particular the last 5 minutes...I think might be my favorite sequence of scenes in all of Star Wars. And there is my dilemma lol

It was 3rd before (after A New Hope and Empire) ...but it feels too high (granted I'm hoping Episode 8 takes care of that)

MANEATINGWREATH

On a side note, for Star Wars fans...I'm really having trouble placing Rogue One in my rankings for the series

I saw it again recently and the first 2/3rds of the movie I didn't enjoy as much as I did the first time, but the last 1/3rd in particular the last 5 minutes...I think might be my favorite sequence of scenes in all of Star Wars. And there is my dilemma lol

It was 3rd before (after A New Hope and Empire) ...but it feels too high (granted I'm hoping Episode 8 takes care of that)

My list:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

FigmentPigments

Space already know this, but I seriously disliked Rouge One. I did not care for any of the characters, the movie planet hopped like it was a rabbit on steroids, and nothing was given time to develop. I was so looking forward to a Star Wars movie that did not feature Jedi as the central characters, and this did not deliver (just in my opinion). Only the last few minutes where Darth Vader was chasing the plans through the ship was worth any real moments of "Yes! This is awesome!" I think the movie's trailers painted a far different picture than what was delivered, and tainted the whole thing for me. :(

spacemt354

Chili's
Space already know this, but I seriously disliked Rouge One. I did not care for any of the characters, the movie planet hopped like it was a rabbit on steroids, and nothing was given time to develop. I was so looking forward to a Star Wars movie that did not feature Jedi as the central characters, and this did not deliver (just in my opinion). Only the last few minutes where Darth Vader was chasing the plans through the ship was worth any real moments of "Yes! This is awesome!" I think the movie's trailers painted a far different picture than what was delivered, and tainted the whole thing for me. :(
The real issue I found with the beginning is it just rushed through so many new characters that I ended up wanted to skip through to get to the end (because the 2nd time watching I knew what happens at the end)

If they focused on Jyn and her relationship with her father, Cassian, and K2SO -- they could have delved deeper into the character arcs. Instead they spent time with too many other side characters that if they were taken out of the film, wouldn't have changed it for me. As much as I liked Donny Yen's character -- I honestly can't remember his name. Or the guy with the bazooka, or the fighter pilot guy (I'm not kidding I'd have to go look them up because I don't remember).

All the best parts were when it connected back to saga films. For instance I loved the Mustafar scene, and what did it have? Darth Vader, lava planet, bacta tanks, imperial guards.

But even with all of that the Scarrif battle (land and space) was spectacular. And once the Death Star arrives...from that point on is just incredible and worth it.

spacemt354

Chili's
I guess you could say the last 5 mins is the the best "Pixar Short" possible for A New Hope:joyfull:

That's why it's my favorite sequence -- I've never seen one part of a movie make another movie (A New Hope) so much more layered.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I guess you could say the last 5 mins is the the best "Pixar Short" possible for A New Hope:joyfull:

That's why it's my favorite sequence -- I've never seen one part of a movie make another movie (A New Hope) so much more layered.

That and explaining the logic behind the Death Star's weakness were the two biggest pluses for Rogue One for sure. I've never seen a franchise so swiftly write off a giant plot hole in a way that's made so much sense. I definitely struggle with ranking Rogue One for that reason. I too enjoy it more than Force Awakens, but can't deny the problems it has with the characters. It's a shame because I actually think all the characters for the most part are interesting personalities in their own right, but the screenplay didn't come together in the same way say...a Marvel movie would have. It was more Suicide Squad than Avengers in terms of a team-up movie. ;)

Also stylistically not a big fan of the on-screen text for the locations, but that's just a nitpick. It just reminds me of something you'd see in a Michael Bay movie...though I understand the logistics behind why it's there. At least Captain America: Civil War did the location subtitles in an artistic way by making them all FILL UP THE DAMN SCREEN WITH THEIR HUGENESS ;) :p

spacemt354

Chili's
That and explaining the logic behind the Death Star's weakness were the two biggest pluses for Rogue One for sure. I've never seen a franchise so swiftly write off a giant plot hole in a way that's made so much sense. I definitely struggle with ranking Rogue One for that reason. I too enjoy it more than Force Awakens, but can't deny the problems it has with the characters. It's a shame because I actually think all the characters for the most part are interesting personalities in their own right, but the screenplay didn't come together in the same way say...a Marvel movie would have. It was more Suicide Squad than Avengers in terms of a team-up movie. ;)

Also stylistically not a big fan of the on-screen text for the locations, but that's just a nitpick. It just reminds me of something you'd see in a Michael Bay movie...though I understand the logistics behind why it's there. At least Captain America: Civil War did the location subtitles in an artistic way by making them all FILL UP THE DAMN SCREEN WITH THEIR HUGENESS ;) :p
unlimited-power-and-no-supervision-the-subtle-cold-war-aesthetic-that-drives-captain-america-civil-war-recovered-5.jpg

Haha This came out of left field because in Winter Solider (same directors) this never happened -- so it isn't like it's their style...they're friends with the Screen Junkies people it's almost like they just threw a bone to them for something to criticize. :p

If there's giant titles for Infinity War like XANDAR...ASGARD...my ocd is going to kick in:eek:

spacemt354

Chili's
unlimited-power-and-no-supervision-the-subtle-cold-war-aesthetic-that-drives-captain-america-civil-war-recovered-5.jpg

Haha This came out of left field because in Winter Solider (same directors) this never happened -- so it isn't like it's their style...they're friends with the Screen Junkies people it's almost like they just threw a bone to them for something to criticize. :p

If there's giant titles for Infinity War like XANDAR...ASGARD...my ocd is going to kick in:eek:
I'm pretty sure there was one scene that was just of the inside of a house and it blasted up CLEVELAND -- I just started laughing:hilarious: It was such a strange choice.

RMichael21

@IDInstitute @RMichael21, here's something rather amusing as a Survivor fan. I just looked up Six Flags Discovery Kingdom on Google Maps. The park is located on a lake with a nature park on the other side. Just found out that nature park is Dan Foley Park...Dan Foley...I'm sure it's a coincidence, but I just can't help but think of...well...this guy....

dan-foley-instagram.jpg
Oh wow! That's actually pretty funny.

I'm super excited for next season, it should be a good one. And while I wait, I can watch Hunted. (Thanks for the suggestion @IDInstitute )

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Oh wow! That's actually pretty funny.

I'm super excited for next season, it should be a good one. And while I wait, I can watch Hunted. (Thanks for the suggestion @IDInstitute )

I've got to admit I'm a bit dubious when it comes to Game Changers. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked to see people like Sandra, Cirie, Tony, JT, etc. again, but to have them paired with the likes of Brad Culpepper, The Sierra That Sucks, Beast Mode Cowboy, Sarah Lacena etc. seems rather insulting to icons like Sandra. The fact that Barrel Roller Sierra is a "Game Changer" is just a total facepalm, and I can't wait to see what sort of half-hearted excuse Probst uses in the cast assessment for why she's there. I mean...she could turn out to be Kelley Wentworth 2.0 and dominate strategically, but there was NOTHING there in her original season to indicate that.

My biggest worry is the obvious one, and something that I think is actually very likely to happen...that it will be All Stars 2.0 and all the winners and big threats will be taken out early leaving us with a merge tribe full of people who barely even deserve to be called All Stars based on their original seasons.

Oddly enough, the people I'm probably most looking forward to seeing are the Koah Rong people. I know that season is really recent, but Tai, Debbie, and Audrey couldn't be more different as characters and I'm really looking forward to seeing their interactions with the other characters. Debbie in particular seems like she'd be amazing TV on an All Star season, and yea I am kind of making an exception to the "Game Changers" thing on her end just because she was so much fun to watch the first time around...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom